The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, all this sort of makes me like Fish more.

I'm not particularly interested in picking up Fez, though, now that the whole zeitgeist week is so far in the past.

[quote name='Sion']Wow lol was about to buy it but think I will wait also for a bundle.[/QUOTE]

Definitely waiting for a bundle and giving all the money to charity what an egotistical fuck head.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I don't know, all this sort of makes me like Fish more.

I'm not particularly interested in picking up Fez, though, now that the whole zeitgeist week is so far in the past.[/QUOTE]
He screams a lot, but he's mostly screaming into the genuinely horrific abyss that is gamer culture. I mean, when a lot of the people boycotting Fez because he's a jerk have no problem buying Diablo III, SimCity: DRM Somehow Makes This An MMO Edition, and other stuff that is openly disdainful and disrespectful to the player...

[quote name='mokmoof']He screams a lot, but he's mostly screaming into the genuinely horrific abyss that is gamer culture. I mean, when a lot of the people boycotting Fez because he's a jerk have no problem buying Diablo III, SimCity: DRM Somehow Makes This An MMO Edition, and other stuff that is openly disdainful and disrespectful to the player...[/QUOTE]

LOL @ SimCity: DRM Somehow Makes This An MMO Edition. :whistle2:X
BEST Subtitle EVER!

[quote name='mokmoof']He screams a lot, but he's mostly screaming into the genuinely horrific abyss that is gamer culture. I mean, when a lot of the people boycotting Fez because he's a jerk have no problem buying Diablo III, SimCity: DRM Somehow Makes This An MMO Edition, and other stuff that is openly disdainful and disrespectful to the player...[/QUOTE]

Well, Phil Fish doesn't have a PR department, and he obviously isn't personally the most stable guy on the planet, so if the response he needs to give to a bunch of people on the internet who hate his guts but have never met him is "Well, fuck you, people still like my game and it's still selling well!" because he has to say something to get himself through the day, I can dig that.

I think the guy just has to lean into it at this point, because with the personality he's shown himself to have if he chose to let people get to him he quite literally would not be able to function on a day to day basis.

Some people use an ego like that to deflect criticism. Some people let criticism eat away at them until there's nothing left.

I think Phil Fish does both.

The fact that Phil Fish's avatar on Twitter is a picture of Andy Kaufman should tell you all you need to know about his antics.

[quote name='Wapcaplet']The fact that Phil Fish's avatar on Twitter is a picture of Andy Kaufman should tell you all you need to know about his antics.[/QUOTE]

He aspires to be the Inter-Gender Wrestling Champion? :D

Since we're still talking about Fez, I went ahead and wrote a full review of the game.

"I imagine this game does well with brain-dead basement dwelling tokers and pretentious hipsters with a hard-on for chiptunes and lol retro graphics, but take off those black-rimmed, oversized, rose-colored glasses and realize that this is one of the worst games to be released this decade.

The only enjoyable part to this game is the intro, when everything is fresh and the gist of the game is revealed to you. This part is enjoyable due to ACTUALLY HAVING STORY AND A SENSE OF PURPOSE. But once the kernel error, or whatever the played-out gimmick is that restarts the game is, happens, and you're thrown back in your room with the ability to rotate the world, you understand that there's nothing catching or innovative about this game whatsoever. You find yourself plodding through similar, copy-pasted environments pointlessly looking for cube pieces with absolutely no enemies nor obstacles to overcome. The biggest issue is falling a certain distance, but you'll respawn exactly where you jumped off from; this feature even proves detrimental when backtracking through levels, as it forces you to yet again plod through the same tedious environments.

Level after level of slightly varied "puzzles" with poor, anti-climactic, ambient chiptune music playing in the background makes this game incredibly boring. Even the dialogue is boring. There are no challenges, just dull platforming. At which point was I supposed to be engaged? Did I miss something that was intended to be remotely interesting?

Oh wait, but I'm forgetting that vaguely hinting at the location of anti-cubes means this game is tasteful and obviously only for intellectuals who regularly infer meaning from abstract paint splatters. I'm sorry, but you're not cool for following a trend and "appreciating" something someone with plaid loafers referred to as "avant-garde" on their tumblr page, just before that picture of filet mignon they ordered at the Cha Cha Lounge in LA.

I classify this alongside the droves of abysmal cookie-cutter movie tie-in games and nearly every third-party Wii game that plays on some paltry gimmick that loses its luster within the first hour of gameplay. If Phil Fish wasn't such an apprehensive douche about how great this game is, this game would hardly sell. This hipster nerd honestly doesn't care about your praise, because he knows he doesn't deserve it after taking five years to develop a game this boring; his pithy trolls are all just to garner media attention to make people buy this awful game just to see what the big deal is.

Congratulations on being played into buying one of the worst games to be released in the past few years."

EDIT: And yes, he's obviously putting on an act; someone who looks like this could never be so hypocritically audacious as to use the term "nerds" in a derogatory way.

[quote name='Mooby']He aspires to be the Inter-Gender Wrestling Champion? :D[/QUOTE]
I was thinking more along the lines of treating every purchaser of Fez to milk and cookies, but yours is possible too. :)

[quote name='louiedog']Based on the last couple of days, if Fez ends up in a HIB that I make a thread for I need to remember to include specific instructions on how to use the sliders for individual developers because not everyone realizes you can go that deep. While there are worse things than giving your entire bundle payment to charity, I'd hate for the people who make the other games to suffer as a result.[/QUOTE]

Wow I didn't know you could do that. Will check it out during the next bundle for sure just to see :D

when i first saw a video of Fez, the first thing I thought of was the PSP game Crush.
that was a hell of a puzzle platformer where u can rotate the world and switch between 2d and 3d in order to traverse the levels. I never beat it cuz i suck at those games, but i really liked the idea.
Heres a video of some of its gameplay:
[youtube]FdGwPQs64Rg#t=7s[/youtube]

[quote name='louiedog']Based on the last couple of days, if Fez ends up in a HIB that I make a thread for I need to remember to include specific instructions on how to use the sliders for individual developers because not everyone realizes you can go that deep. While there are worse things than giving your entire bundle payment to charity, I'd hate for the people who make the other games to suffer as a result.[/QUOTE]
Won't he be more irate when he can no longer afford hookers and beer? ;)

When I click on the DA:O complete deal in steam it just returns me to the store front page.
Anyone is having this problem?

[quote name='Detruire']TRU clearout?[/QUOTE]
Toys R Us got rid of their PC games and sold tons of stuff for $10 each (Skyrim, MW3, D3, Starcraft 2, etc).

Was a few months ago.

[quote name='ddearce']When I click on the DA:O complete deal in steam it just returns me to the store front page.
Anyone is having this problem?[/QUOTE]

It's working fine here. Maybe it's unavailable in your country?

[quote name='ddearce']When I click on the DA:O complete deal in steam it just returns me to the store front page.
Anyone is having this problem?[/QUOTE]
Unavailable in your country?

[quote name='Idiotekque']Toys R Us got rid of their PC games and sold tons of stuff for $10 each (Skyrim, MW3, D3, Starcraft 2, etc).

Was a few months ago.[/QUOTE]
Ah.

[quote name='Detruire']Unavailable in your country?

Ah.[/QUOTE]

It must be.
The funny thing is that i can see the regular DA:O.
I can purchase the normal DA:O but i can't see the digital deluxe edition or any DLC!! only the trailers.
What is the logic/sense to region lock all the dlc of a game but not the game itself?

BS

[quote name='ddearce']It must be.
The funny thing is that i can see the regular DA:O.
I can purchase the normal DA:O but i can't see the digital deluxe edition or any DLC!! only the trailers.
What is the logic/sense to region lock all the dlc of a game but not the game itself?

BS[/QUOTE]

Steam trade, brah.

Ok, so I played a few hours of Star Trek last night in Co-op and here are my thoughts:

First of all, the game is overpriced. I was hoping that the game itself would be decent considering that (supposedly) it has been in production since the reboot movie came out in 2009.

The story itself is fantastic, and the graphics and voice acting are 100% top notch. The combat gameplay is like a cheap Mass Effect 2/3 ripoff or maybe like Gears of War - but that's where the similarities end. Unlike Mass Effect, there are absolutely NO choices to be made, no diplomacy, no exploration, no prime directive (apparently) and no formal "First Contact" procedure. This game is just straight up "Go here, do this, kill these bad guys, watch this cutscene, solve this puzzle." They took everything that people used to like about Star Trek and they turned it into what is basically an on-rails shooter.

Probably the worst thing about this game is that there is all of the usual "hand-holding" but in all of the wrong places. There seem to be a ton of puzzles that are like "We're going to spend time explaining to you exactly how to do this puzzle even though this is the only puzzle even remotely like this in the game."

Co-op is also done poorly - very poorly. I thought there would be a Left 4 Dead kind of component to dying. Like you fall off a cliff but hang on at the last minute and your partner can save you. No such luck here. If one person dies, the mission is over and you have to restart from the last checkpoint. Sometimes (due to reasons stated above) you have no idea what you're supposed to be doing so you try something, die, and both players have to start over.

I'm probably one of the biggest Trekkies out there (my wife was actually in the movie Trekkies) so I can bear with the horrible gameplay to get the story before the new movie comes out, as this game takes place between the two movies. But if you're not a complete Trek nut, you should probably skip this one. Even at 75% off, I'd have a hard time recommending it to someone just looking for a co-op shooter. I'd give it probably 2/10.

[quote name='jshackles']
Ok, so I played a few hours of Star Trek last night in Co-op and here are my thoughts:

First of all, the game is overpriced. I was hoping that the game itself would be decent considering that (supposedly) it has been in production since the reboot movie came out in 2009.

The story itself is fantastic, and the graphics and voice acting are 100% top notch. The combat gameplay is like a cheap Mass Effect 2/3 ripoff or maybe like Gears of War - but that's where the similarities end. Unlike Mass Effect, there are absolutely NO choices to be made, no diplomacy, no exploration, no prime directive (apparently) and no formal "First Contact" procedure. This game is just straight up "Go here, do this, kill these bad guys, watch this cutscene, solve this puzzle." They took everything that people used to like about Star Trek and they turned it into what is basically an on-rails shooter.

Probably the worst thing about this game is that there is all of the usual "hand-holding" but in all of the wrong places. There seem to be a ton of puzzles that are like "We're going to spend time explaining to you exactly how to do this puzzle even though this is the only puzzle even remotely like this in the game."

Co-op is also done poorly - very poorly. I thought there would be a Left 4 Dead kind of component to dying. Like you fall off a cliff but hang on at the last minute and your partner can save you. No such luck here. If one person dies, the mission is over and you have to restart from the last checkpoint. Sometimes (due to reasons stated above) you have no idea what you're supposed to be doing so you try something, die, and both players have to start over.

I'm probably one of the biggest Trekkies out there (my wife was actually in the movie Trekkies) so I can bear with the horrible gameplay to get the story before the new movie comes out, as this game takes place between the two movies. But if you're not a complete Trek nut, you should probably skip this one. Even at 75% off, I'd have a hard time recommending it to someone just looking for a co-op shooter. I'd give it probably 2/10.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right from what i've seen of it....

Where's the cheapest place I can get the Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection?

I can't get the Origin deal to work for me ($9.99) and its $15 on Amazon.com right now but can it be got cheaper?

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']After watching Indie Game the Movie, I have to feel at least a little proud of all Fish went through to make the game, but I have to agree he really isn't the kind of indie dev I feel good supporting. I won't boycott his game, which I find very fun and charming, but come on Phil. Grow up and learn to not be such a douche to everyone:whistle2:([/QUOTE]
Except he wasn't the only one, the movie only tells his side of the story and didn't bother to seek out the other side. One of the executive producers of Indie Game The Movie was Phil Fish's new business partner so they had little interest in a fair and balanced narrative. Initially the film ran with the credit that Phil Fish's business partner asked not to participate in the film, which was a bold faced lie. Eventually they had to change it to say that the ex-business partner was not asked to participate in the film. That's the primary reason I despise that movie, they have little interest in truth.

Today's deal is Fable III at 75% off ($12.49)
DLC
  • Traitor's Keep Quest Pack - $1.74
  • Understone Quest Pack - $1.24
  • Dog Breed Set - $0.74
  • Dog Outfit - $0.49
  • Industrial Knight Outfit - $0.49

Forge is having a free weekend and is 75% off ($4.99 or $14.99 for a 4-pack) for the next week.
* Stacks with 75% off raptr coupon (no longer available) making it $1.25 or $3.75.

New Releases

Dyad is 10% off ($13.49) until May 1st.
Experience a mind-bending, psychedelic sensory overload when Dyad hits Steam on March 27th! Blast through a reactive audio-visual tube creating a harmonious synthesis of color and sound as you Hook, Graze, and Lance enemies to master Dyad's 27 unique levels.
Genre: Action, Indie, Racing

Kairo is 20% off ($6.39) until May 1st.
Enter the lost world of Kairo. Explore vast abandoned monuments. Bring strange and ancient machinery back to life. Slowly uncover the true purpose of Kairo and fulfil a great destiny. Kairo is an atmospheric 3D exploration and puzzle solving game.
Genre: Adventure, Indie
If you own it via the Humble Store, keys are coming later this week.

LOL I was going to say, did people ever get their damned dog costumes from Amazon after much grumbling and revolting? Is that still a thing?

Apparently so.

Also, HOPES DELETED on Star Trek, but saves me money so that's a good thing. With such a big name and franchise you'd think they'd take more care, but maybe they didn't specifically because of that. They know it will sell based on the name so why bother? Same for that abysmal Game of Thrones Genesis game.

re: Origin $10 mystery deal in the US for C&C

Just curious, can people gift things in Origin, particularly, to those in other regions? I never tried honestly.

Forge is 75% off AND it stacks for the 75% off Raptr coupon AND it works on the 4 pack!

*Edit: Brings it down to $1.25 by itself or $3.75 for the 4 pack with the Steam 75% off sale + the Raptr coupon applied.

[quote name='Motoki']Forge is 75% off AND it stacks for the 75% off Raptr coupon AND it works on the 4 pack!

*Edit: Brings it down to $1.25 by itself or $3.75 for the 4 pack with the Steam 75% off sale + the Raptr coupon applied.[/QUOTE]

Was just going to say this, but you beat me to it. Just want to add that these coupons are usually changed within a few hours so that they do not stack with sales, so if you want this price, you should probably hurry.

[quote name='Motoki']Forge is 75% off AND it stacks for the 75% off Raptr coupon AND it works on the 4 pack!

*Edit: Brings it down to $1.25 by itself or $3.75 for the 4 pack with the Steam 75% off sale + the Raptr coupon applied.[/QUOTE]

I completely forgot that I had that coupon. I disabled enhanced steam the other day when I was having a website issue (it wasn't the extension) and forgot to re-enable it. That's a damn good deal.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Let me know if anybody bought a 4pack and wants to help me out; I missed the damn coupon last week.[/QUOTE]

Pm'ing you now.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Was just going to say this, but you beat me to it. Just want to add that these coupons are usually changed within a few hours so that they do not stack with sales, so if you want this price, you should probably hurry.[/QUOTE]

Yeah pretty much this. If you have the coupon and have any interest at all grab it now before they go 'Oh shit! They're getting 75% off of 75% off with those coupons! Fix it!'

[quote name='Motoki']LOL I was going to say, did people ever get their damned dog costumes from Amazon after much grumbling and revolting? Is that still a thing?[/QUOTE]

If only.

[quote name='Motoki']Just curious, can people gift things in Origin, particularly, to those in other regions? I never tried honestly.[/QUOTE]
Not unless it's a hidden feature.

Dam, wish I noticed the 4-pack since I had the coupon. Could of got a copy for my friend and gave away the other two.

The latest Steam client beta allows you to throttle your download speed so those 20 GB downloads won't interfere with your Golden Girls streaming.

[quote name='Carlmundo']Have some friends after Forge, so if anyone has a spare Forge coupon to spare or will let me go in on a 4 pack, let me know![/QUOTE]

add me on steam, same name there, and I'll give mine to you via trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back