The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V8 ~ Summer Sale Encore Day! | Rage $4.99 | Retro City Rampage $2.99 | Crysis $5.99 | Endless Space $10.19 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
It had to be done, welcome aboard the new thread, Steam Deal Thread V8!

You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Disclaimer: Because of the ridiculous number of games on sale and the speed at which sales change, it is likely I will not be able to catch everything . Be sure to check the update time for the OP, and visit the Specials Tab to see all current sales. If you see something not listed in the OP, please feel free to PM me and I will see that it is added. Thanks, enjoy the sale  :D

Before you buy anything be sure to check out both BigSpoonyBard's Super Tips for Steam Sale Newbies (and Vets) and jshackle's Enhanced Steam Extension/Plugin for Chrome/Opera/Firefox!

Steam Summer Sale

Flash Deals

[*]Retro City Rampage - $14.99 $3.00
[*]Endless Space Gold - $34.99 $11.89[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Total War Grand Master Collection - $164.99 $41.24[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rome: Total War - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Empire: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Napoleon: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Total War: SHOGUN 2 - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Viking: Battle for Asgard - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Total War Battles: SHOGUN - $4.99 $1.24
[*]SHOGUN 2: Rise of the Samurai Campaign - $9.99 $2.49[/customspoiler]

Expired

Community Choice

• Rage - $19.99 $4.99
Expired 

[*]​Round 2

[*]​Round 3

[*]​Rounds 4

[*]Round 5

[*]​Round 6

[*]​Round 7

[*]Round 8

[*]Round 9​

[*]Round 10

[*]Round 11

[*]​Round 12

[*]Round 13

[*]Round 14

[*]Round 15

[*]Round 16

[*]Round 17

[*]Round 18

[*]Round 19

[*]Round 20

[*]Round 21

[*]​Round 22

[*]Round 23

[*]Round 24

[*]​Round 25

[*]​Round 26

[*]​Round 27

[*]Round 28

[*]Round 29

[*]Round 30

[*]​Round 31

[*]Round 32

​​

Daily Deals

[*]Borderlands 2 - $39.99 $10.19 (4-Pack - $89.99 $30.59)[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Bioshock - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock 2 - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock Infinite - $59.99 $29.99
[*]Torchlight - $14.99 $3.73
[*]Torchlight 2 - $19.99 $4.99 (4-Pack - $59.99 $14.99)
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - $19.99 $4.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Tomb Raider Collection - $69.99 $17.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]The Walking Dead - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $13.79
[*]Dishonored - $29.99 $10.19[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Skyrim: Legendary Edition - $59.99 $36.00[customspoiler='Contents']

Yesterday's Deals

[*]Natural Selection 2 - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Worms Collection - $89.99 $22.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Worms Revolution - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Worms Ultimate Mayhem - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Starforge (Alpha) - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike Complete - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed Pack - $169.95 $57.78[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed III - $39.99 $23.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic $9.99 $3.39
[*]Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - $9.99 $3.39
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $2.23
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $3.74[customspoiler='Contents']

Expired

Persistent Deals

(if you notice a daily/flash sale in here by mistake, please let me know)

-75% or More

-50% to -74%

[*]The Political Machine 2012 - $3.99 $0.99 (4-Pack - $9.99 $2.49)[/customspoiler]

[*]Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - $19.99 $6.79
[*]The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - $19.99 $9.99
[*]The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Cut - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Dead Space - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Dead Space 2 - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Hitman: Blood Money - $8.99 $4.49
[*]Hitman: Codename 47 - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $14.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - $29.99 $14.99
[*]The Cave - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Hits Collection - $29.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $4.99

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $4.47
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $7.49

[*]Mirror's Edge - $19.99 $9.99
[*]McPixel - $4.99 $0.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator - $8.99 $4.49
[*]FTL - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Cart Life - $4.99 $1.99
[*]To The Moon - $9.99 $2.99
[*]VVVVVV - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $20.69
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Need for Speed: Undercover - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Need for Speed: Shift - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Shift 2: Unleashed - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Magical Diary - $14.99 $5.24
[*]Super House of Dead Ninjas - $6.99 $2.37
[*]The Blackwell Legacy - $4.99 $1.99
[*]Jack Lumber - $7.49 $2.24
[*]Anna - Extended Edition - $9.99 $3.39
[*]The Bridge - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Alice: Madness Returns - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Payday The Heist - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike - $9.99 $2.49
[*]The Orange Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Half-Life Complete - $39.99 $19.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rockstar Hits Collection - $89.97 $44.98[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]LA Noire - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Max Payne 3 - $39.99 $19.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Starseed Pilgrim - $5.99 $2.69
[*]The Binding of Isaac - $4.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

All Current Specials

Preorder Deals - Updated 24/6

• The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="Free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition"]
    Digital poster (printable) 
  • Papercraft mask of The Raven (printable)
  • “Making of” booklet 
  • Story book (plenty of background info and artworks)
  • Soundtrack[/customspoiler]

[*]Europa Universalis IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="The 100 Years War Unit Pack DLC"]
  • This DLC adds new, unique unit models to the belligerent nations of the
    100 Years War. Included are 11 infantry models for the warring nations,
    including England, France, Scotland, Burgundy and many more! [/customspoiler]

[*]Saints Row IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="3 Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Weapon Costumes"]
  • Pre-Purchase Saints Row IV and get 3 exclusive Team Fortress 2 weapon costumes to use in Saints Row IV: The Rainblower, the Flamethrower and the Rocket Launcher, only with Pre-Purchases on Steam! [/customspoiler]

[*]Rise of the Triad - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler='The Apogee Throwback Pack']
  • The Apogee Throwback Pack is a collection of four classic Apogee
    Software titles all in one kick ass package. Blast your way across the
    galaxy as British Special Agent Blake Stone in "Aliens of Gold" and
    "Planet Strike", then take on an ancient evil menace as the H.U.N.T in
    "Rise of the Triad".[/customspoiler]

[*]Divinity: Dragon Commander - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler='Immediate access to the Divinity: Dragon Commander beta']
  • As an extra bonus, you will also receive a free upgrade to Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Edition.
  • The Imperial Edition includes a golden dragon skin, a Dragons On Earth
    campaign map, a digital soundtrack by award winning genius Kirill
    Pokrovsky, and behind the scenes information like concept art,
    classified design documents, confidential decision tree flowcharts and a
    unique documentary.[/customspoiler]

[*]Total War: Rome II - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="The Greek States Culture Pack"]
  • The Greek States Culture Pack includes three new playable Factions for use in Single or Multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles. These factions are the diplomatic Athens, shrewd Epirus and formidable Sparta as playable factions. Each offers range of special tactics to achieve cultural and martial victories, and lethal elite units to crush foes in battle.
  • The Greek States also share a number of common goals, philosophies and general diplomatic aims. However, they are defined by their fierce independence and between them demonstrate a huge variety in approach to civil and military challenges that often brings them into conflict with the wider world, and each other.
  • Plus, Pre-Purchase and receive the Greek Hellenic Armor for The Pyro & Egyptian Cheetah set for The Scout in TF2. More to come!  [/customspoiler]

Indie Bundle Threads

Groupees
Indie Gala
Indie Royale
Humble Bundle

IndieGameStand

Free Stuff

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Teeheehee']Obviously because it's not even an MMO.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about Chivalry, the MMO is Defiance.

[quote name='Genocidal']I'll probably pick this up, but fair warning: DotP 2014 will be coming out soon.[/QUOTE]

$3.39 is not bad, but at this point might as well wait for the summer sale when there's a good chance you'll be able to get the gold bundle for $5 at 75% off. That's what I'm going to do, anyway. Maybe they'll also have some kind of preorder bonus for 2014 that bundles in 2013 - didn't they do something like that last year?

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 is coming out in summer, there will be Sealed Deck gameplay and Silver creatures included. DotP 2013 still suffered from bugs which till now has not been fixed yet.

[quote name='Rirse']I wasn't talking about Chivalry, the MMO is Defiance.[/QUOTE]

I might buy the Defiance if it goes on sale during the summer for at least 75% off

[quote name='Jon7']They should have made the game starring Deadpool and Cable. Could have had coop support.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Marvel 2997 features them going back and forth in time, which could've been interesting. I just don't see the logic behind creating a game based on one semi-obscure Marvel character (he's either a hero or villain depending on which reality you're in) who is only truly popular with comic aficionados. Trailer doesn't even show any other important characters, which you'd think would make the highlight reel if they had any.

I already feel like Duke Nukem Forever blows this game out of the water.

Deadpool really shined in MvC3, for what that's worth. Of course, it's him as one of several characters in a sequel that didn't live up to its previous iteration, but it's still an example of him being used effectively in a game.

That's the majority of the direct exposure I've had to his character, so I don't care much at all for the Deadpool game. Now, if they were making a game featuring Squirrel Girl, I'd be all over that.

[quote name='Blade']Yes, Marvel 2997 features them going back and forth in time, which could've been interesting. I just don't see the logic behind creating a game based on one semi-obscure Marvel character (he's either a hero or villain depending on which reality you're in) who is only truly popular with comic aficionados. Trailer doesn't even show any other important characters, which you'd think would make the highlight reel if they had any.
[/QUOTE]

Well there was a Deadpool movie in production which would have increased his popularity, but I don't know if it was cancelled or if it hit production problems. This game was likely originally supposed to be released at the same time as just a movie cash-in.

[quote name='Blade']I just don't see the logic behind creating a game based on one semi-obscure Marvel character (he's either a hero or villain depending on which reality you're in) who is only truly popular with comic aficionados. [/QUOTE]

I don't know, I think Deadpool has taken off quite a bit in the last 3 or 4 years with more casual comic fans. Particularly as people have gotten into the tonally darker comic arcs as a result of the popularity of the Nolan Batman movies. Deadpool is becoming popular now precisely for the reasons he was more niche before.

[quote name='Jon7']Well there was a Deadpool movie in production which would have increased his popularity, but I don't know if it was cancelled or if it hit production problems. This game was likely originally supposed to be released at the same time as just a movie cash-in.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that does make sense. It's just a shame that his only game has to be a generic movie cash-in that isn't being released in conjunction with the movie.

[quote name='Carlmundo']OK, so Master of Orion 2 wasn't so easy to set up so I've wrote a guide on how to get the Gamersgate and GOG releases working (and without using DOSBox)

http://steamfix.blogspot.com/2013/05/master-of-orion-ii-play-on-modern-pc.html[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks. I will try that. I don't usually buy clientless games but under $1 each (with elder-geek.com) + Classic game + DRM free sold me. Hopefully getting it to work will be relatively painless now that I know what to look out for.

This has to be mentioned somewhere by now but I haven't seen it:

Gamestop has Rome Total War Gold for $9.99 (Steam required)
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W4741

Use code ROME-DYPR-XJSJ-MGBT to take the price down to $.99

I believe you have to install their app to get the Steam code and many people don't want to do this but it might be worth a buck if you don't already own the game.

[quote name='jshackles']The dev of Chess the Gathering is giving away free "prototype" version on Steam:

http://ctg.misfitsattic.com/

Enter your email into the box, then they'll send you a confirmation email. Click that and they'll send you ANOTHER email with a link to your key.[/QUOTE]

cool, I actually really enjoy chess but haven't found a digital rendition I liked since Chessmaster 2004. Hopefully this is as fun as it looks:)

[quote name='Carlmundo']OK, so Master of Orion 2 wasn't so easy to set up so I've wrote a guide on how to get the Gamersgate and GOG releases working (and without using DOSBox)

http://steamfix.blogspot.com/2013/05/master-of-orion-ii-play-on-modern-pc.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this!

[quote name='Motoki']Cool thanks. I will try that. I don't usually buy clientless games but under $1 each (with elder-geek.com) + Classic game + DRM free sold me. Hopefully getting it to work will be relatively painless now that I know what to look out for.[/QUOTE]

Is there any reason to get both of them, as opposed to just the second one?

[quote name='Motoki']Cool thanks. I will try that. I don't usually buy clientless games but under $1 each (with elder-geek.com) + Classic game + DRM free sold me. Hopefully getting it to work will be relatively painless now that I know what to look out for.[/QUOTE]

Cool, let me know if you have any trouble.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Thanks for this!
Is there any reason to get both of them, as opposed to just the second one?[/QUOTE]
I just got the second one as it's what I played back in the day and I hear it's much better than the first.

Didn't know where to post these, but these are leftover...

Free Portal 2 codes if you own Portal 2 on PS3 (PSN + Steam Linked Account)

W0CAX-2YI5J-3P9QX
KFC2P-RGM67-0Y8JT
RW59L-LR0L6-5YH7V
BRXX3-DZF8K-IBJ4k
DLC3L-8N470-FC5V8
VCYKP-MTGN2-8N0TT
G03HF-C3958-QJ3QZ

I don't even know of many Atari IP's off hand, have a list?

All I can say is I hope EA/Activision don't get any of it regardless.

[quote name='MysterD']So, since Atari's auctioning stuff off on July, what IP's would you all like to see go where?

{Waits for Ashes to speak on Test Drive IP...}[/QUOTE]

I hope some companies are ability to get the publishing rights to pulled Steam games like Neverwinter Nights 2, Chronicles of Riddick, and Ghosterbusters.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I want a GOOD rollercoaster tycoon. Do something less cartoony and more real.[/QUOTE]

Gritty RollerCoaster Tycoon.

With a casualty counter.

[quote name='Rirse']Ghosterbusters.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Ghost(er)busters might just disappear completely from everywhere.

Licensed games get weird in situations like this.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I want a GOOD rollercoaster tycoon. Do something less cartoony and more real.[/QUOTE]
I'd prefer another "cartoony" RCT game over one that would fit being called Rollercoaster Simulator 2013.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I don't even know of many Atari IP's off hand, have a list?[/quote]
Blood; Test Drive; Riddick; Alone in the Dark; Total Annihilation; Outcast; NWN; etc.

All I can say is I hope EA/Activision don't get any of it regardless.
Problem is - those companies probably got the $ to buy ALL of Atari out, if they wanted. ;)

[quote name='Rirse']I wasn't talking about Chivalry, the MMO is Defiance.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I've heard a lot of good about Defiance. Even the reviews that give it terrible ratings end up saying "Somehow I can't stop playing it" somewhere in the review. As with all MMOs, it release with a shit ton of bugs and issues, but from what I hear, they're getting ironed out.

The only real complaint I've heard (that isn't a bug to be fixed) is that the bullet impact is a little lacking when you hit enemies. Sounds like Mass Effect 1 to me, and the TPS RPG style is probably similar. Paz (a CAG here) plays it and says it's awesome. I've been watching the TV show too (which I think is one of the best sci-fis in a long time, and reminds me so much of Firefly), so I'm stoked to grab it once it has a good sale.

GMG had it for $20, I'm pretty sure, so I'm waiting for that to happen again.

[quote name='MysterD']So, since Atari's auctioning stuff off on July, what IP's would you all like to see go where?

{Waits for Ashes to speak on Test Drive IP...}[/QUOTE]

Well off the top of my head, I hope Codemasters gets Test Drive. They're the only bigger pub that might treat it right.

3ujqjn.jpg

[quote name='Idiotekque']Actually, I've heard a lot of good about Defiance. Even the reviews that give it terrible ratings end up saying "Somehow I can't stop playing it" somewhere in the review. As with all MMOs, it release with a shit ton of bugs and issues, but from what I hear, they're getting ironed out.

The only real complaint I've heard (that isn't a bug to be fixed) is that the bullet impact is a little lacking when you hit enemies. Sounds like Mass Effect 1 to me, and the TPS RPG style is probably similar. Paz (a CAG here) plays it and says it's awesome. I've been watching the TV show too (which I think is one of the best sci-fis in a long time, and reminds me so much of Firefly), so I'm stoked to grab it once it has a good sale.

GMG had it for $20, I'm pretty sure, so I'm waiting for that to happen again.[/QUOTE]

Too bad the TV show sucks :whistle2:(

Defiance (the game) is actually really fun. The GF and I have gotten way more than our money's ($48) worth on it and are still very much enjoying it. Especially the fact that it was B2P (no subscription fee).

We didn't power through the content in a week and then complain there wasn't anything to do like many of the players on the official forums. We do a story mission or 2, then some daily contracts, a couple side-missions, a few rounds of PvP, or just drive around doing roadside events, or Arkfalls.

IMO the actual TPS mechanics are sound. The controls are tight and the bullets hit where you aim. It is a MMO, but not a MMORPG. No classes, multiple loadouts (weapons, clothing, perks and abilities) that can be changed when/however you want and switched with a few button presses even right in the middle of a huge fight. If that loadout didn't work out the way you wanted it to, no big deal, you can change anything about it without having to respec or make a new character. It's pretty refreshing.

That said, they've had some problems. Not the least of which was Quality Control and Testing. One of the multiplayer PvP maps has been removed, fixed, put back in, taken out a few hours later, fixed, put back in, and then taken out again the same day. Today's patch finally brought it back (hopefully for good).

Chat on PC is pretty lame. But it isn't really that social a MMO (which I don't mind). People come and go in your travels, sometimes they stop and help you out with a roadside emergency before riding off again, other times they just drive through. Other times you can be in a mission and suddenly there are other people helping you out doing the same mission. No need to group as all objectives in the area update for everyone. When it's done people hop in their vehicles and drive off (did I mention you get your first "mount" within 2 hours of starting the game?).

Arkfalls are fun as hell. The storyline is decent, if a little hackneyed. Co-Op maps are well done, PvP maps are good, but they need to add a few more.

Open world PvP is very fun (shadow wars). These are huge battles right in the middle of the game world. Mobs and NPCs don't disappear and get in on the action as well. This PvP is voluntary and you can play the game without ever having to do it.

Today's large patch brought some major problems for Trion today (servers have been down for hours after the patch due to item duplication issues). I am sure the layoffs didn't help (but, honestly IMO, they needed to get rid of the dead weight there - they need better people, and like I said before their QA was pretty bad).

As for the TV show.. I'm reserving judgement so far... but I can say the game is far better than the TV show....

Nice review. One question: In PvP, are you running into people who are way stronger than you and dying helplessly all the time? I read a review (a 4/5 star review) that in PvP you'll fight people who are just way above you and there's no way you can kill them, and they said the PvP was really unbalanced. I'm not a huge PvP guy, so it's not a deciding factor for me, but it would still be nice to know.

I really don't know why people hate on the TV show, though. Seems like people only accept serious, dramatic sci-fi (like Battlestar Galactica) and shun anything that goes outside the box. The show isn't perfect, but I love it so far. It's a refreshing change from the same damn thing you always see. When I looked it was getting pretty good reviews too...

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Free Portal 2 codes if you own Portal 2 on PS3 (PSN + Steam Linked Account)
RW59L-LR0L6-5YH7V[/QUOTE]

Just decided to try one of these randomly because I didn't think any of these would still be up. To my surprise they are still up for grabs(or at least this one was). Thanks!

I had originally borrowed Portal 2 for the PS3 from a friend of mine. He used the code to get the free Steam copy and then admitted he didn't even really want it that much and regretted doing so. Luckily my Steam and PS3 accounts got linked as I used it to play online with some friends. I've held off on buying Portal 2 even when it was on sale and it paid off. Thanks again!

[quote name='glennfrank']
That said, they've had some problems. Not the least of which was Quality Control and Testing. One of the multiplayer PvP maps has been removed, fixed, put back in, taken out a few hours later, fixed, put back in, and then taken out again the same day. Today's patch finally brought it back (hopefully for good).
[/QUOTE]

Do you know if they ever fixed damage being calculated player side instead of server side? Having to pvp against players increasing their own damage by changing numbers in the files didn't sound like it'd be fun.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I want Rockstar to do a gritty Adventure reboot:cool:[/QUOTE]

Maybe Bohemia (ArmA's developers) can do something with Combat.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Just decided to try one of these randomly because I didn't think any of these would still be up. To my surprise they are still up for grabs(or at least this one was). Thanks!

I had originally borrowed Portal 2 for the PS3 from a friend of mine. He used the code to get the free Steam copy and then admitted he didn't even really want it that much and regretted doing so. Luckily my Steam and PS3 accounts got linked as I used it to play online with some friends. I've held off on buying Portal 2 even when it was on sale and it paid off. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Doesn't really surprise me that some keys are unused.. I mean, this is the steam deals thread.. and you need a PS3 + a PS3 copy of Portal 2 to use the codes lol.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Nice review. One question: In PvP, are you running into people who are way stronger than you and dying helplessly all the time? I read a review (a 4/5 star review) that in PvP you'll fight people who are just way above you and there's no way you can kill them, and they said the PvP was really unbalanced. I'm not a huge PvP guy, so it's not a deciding factor for me, but it would still be nice to know.

I really don't know why people hate on the TV show, though. Seems like people only accept serious, dramatic sci-fi (like Battlestar Galactica) and shun anything that goes outside the box. The show isn't perfect, but I love it so far. It's a refreshing change from the same damn thing you always see. When I looked it was getting pretty good reviews too...[/QUOTE]

I think the reviewer was just using one of the not-so great guns.. I will explain.

The level system is non-traditional to say the least. You can start a char today and the damage your weapons do will be identical to the weapons I have after playing for a month.

It's hard to explain, but I will try.. An hour into the game you get a pistol called a wolfhound. That pistol, like all the weapons, has a base damage. You could use that gun throughout the entire game if you wanted to (you wouldn't because later you'd find that same gun with a x1.5 mag count or reload speed boost, etc). A week later you find another Wolfhound. A month later a twelfth... Base damage is always the same on this gun.

There are some bonuses as you get higher, but nothing too drastic. Weapons can have up to 4 mods in them, barrel, magazine, stock and scope. These mods also do not add up to much in the way of damage and you can mod your guns as early as you wish.

I didn't bother with mods and did fine in PvP at the beginning. I wasn't at the top of the boards or anything, but I was happy with my placement - I usually placed around the middle (and that's playing with a gamepad!) This isn't to say that people who have played for a while don't have any advantage at all - just that it is very possible to hold your own against them as a low level char.

The thing about PvP is finding the right weapons for it. Shotguns and LMGs are very popular - but some shotguns suck and you'll get outgunned, but that isn't a level thing - that's just finding the right drop or finding/buying a decent gun in a shop (in game currency). You can also buy lockboxes which give you random weapons with in game currency (keycodes) or actual real-world money. I have not spent a penny in the cash shop so far.

For example: There is one type of Shotgun called a Berzerker. It holds a lot of ammo, shoots full auto, but only does something like 336 damage per shot. There is another shotgun called a VOT Grind Fragger - This gun does 1296 per shot, shoots a lot slower, but is also full auto. I would never use a Berzerker in PvP.

There are weapons of each type that are pretty useless - many of us wonder what they are doing in the game (aside from being used to break down for scrap that is). My guess is that the reviewer was using one of those.

As far as powers go - there are only 4 of them. Cloak, Decoy, Blur and Overcharge. Cloak makes you totally invisible for a short period unless you shoot or take damage and also gives your shields a jump start. Decoy sends out a phantom clone of you to attract fire, you can also switch places with this clone. Blur makes you move ridiculously fast, and overcharge increases weapon damage and instantly reloads your gun on activation.

Every player has access to one of these abilities before even leaving the tutorial stage. If you want to PvP I'd pick cloak for your first power - but eventually you will have access to all of them and can change them at will.

The only thing I can really see really high 'level' characters have over new ones are perks, but even they aren't going to make it impossible to beat them.

Oh, and 'levelling' doesn't really take very long in this game. We're around EGO rating 2000 (it goes up to 5000) and we're pretty casual about it like I said in my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jon7']Do you know if they ever fixed damage being calculated player side instead of server side? Having to pvp against players increasing their own damage by changing numbers in the files didn't sound like it'd be fun.[/QUOTE]

I have read about this, and know from reading on the boards that it's true, but haven't encountered it at all. We've played a bunch of PvP too. Trion was banning these players pretty quick apparently. I think the first offense is just a day or two, but after that I think it's a more serious ban.

To answer your question - I am not sure if that's been changed as of yet, but I know it's not that prevalent a problem.

One of the people they canned was the head of PvP. How he let the damage calculations be client side, I have no idea, and I think Trion realized he wasn't very good at his job, hence the new positions available on their web site.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Alright, makes sense and sounds like a great system. Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

You bet. I hope people give the game a shot during the free weekend. Like I said, it's not without it's problems, but it's a really fun game at it's core - I think it's worth playing if you like TPS.

Oh! If you do give it a shot, know that the 4 different "backgrounds" during char creation don't affect anything except starting clothing and secondary weapon. They are not classes like many people think - any char can use any weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back