The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Art Book Pre-Order Thread
I am totally ripping off Ionotropic's CE Guide Thread's Wiki format. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Alien: Isolation, The Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 7, 2014)
Publisher: Titan Books
Page Count: 176
Amazon $26.56

Assassin's Creed Unity: Abstergo Entertainment: Employee Handbook

Author: Ubisoft (November 4, 2014)
Publisher: Insight Editions
Page Count: 152
Amazon $28.46

Batman: Arkham Trilogy, The Art of

Author: Rocksteady Studios (April 14, 2015)
Publisher: Abrams
Page Count: 320
Amazon $27.51

Book of Life, The Art of

Author: Jorge Gutierrez and Guillermo del Toro (September 30, 2014)
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Page Count: 184
Amazon $24.91

Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works

Author: Keiji Inufane, Tatsuya Yoshikawa, Capcom (September 9, 2014)
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Page Count: 192
Amazon $28.06

Destiny, The Art of

Author: Bungie (December 16, 2014)
Page Count: 160
Amazon $32.10 ($45.00 MSRP)

Destiny: The Poster Collection

Author: Insight Editions (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 40
Amazon $18.62 ($24.99 MSRP)

Devil May Cry: A Divine Comedy

Author: Medhi El Kanafi / Nicolas Courcier (July 22, 2014)
Publisher: Les Edition Pix'N Love
Amazon $37.04

Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives

Author: Bethesda Games (November 25, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Art of
Author: Bioware (October 7, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Inquisitor Edition

Author: Bungie (November 18, 2014)
Publisher: Prima
Page Count: 368
Amazon $107.99 ($119.99 MSRP)

Evil Within, The Art of
Author: Bethesda Games (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

5th Cell, The Art of
Author: Edison Yan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 168
Amazon $29.99

Gran Turismo 5, Art of

Author: Daniel Wade (November 11, 2014)
Publisher: Ballistic Publishing
Page Count: 256
Amazon $40.95
51eTmiAUyYL._SS500_.jpg

Naughty Dog, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (October 14, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Resident Evil 6 Artworks

Author: Capcom (October 7, 2014)
Page Count: 272
Amazon $31.20

SF25: The Art of Street Fighter

Author: Capcom (August 12, 2014)
Page Count: 448
Amazon $40.64

UDON's Art of Capcom: Complete Edition

Author: Alvin Lee, Arnold Tsang, Jeffrey Chamba Cruz, Joe Ng, and Omar Dogan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 600!
Amazon $53.23

Uncharted Trilogy, The Art of the

Author: Naughty Dog (April 28, 2015)
Page Count: 240
Amazon $30.00

Witcher, The World of

Author: CD Projekt Red (March 17, 2015)
Amazon $27.10
============================
Previously Released Art Book Archive
============================

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Previously Released]

Assassin's Creed III, Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 144
Amazon $19.77
Special Features: Hardcover

Atelier: Artworks of Arland

Author: Mel Kishida, Gust (May 5, 2013)
Amazon $28.11

Bayonetta: Eyes of

Author: Sega (July 11, 2013)
Page Count: 224
Amazon $31.49
Special Features: DVD

Bioshock Infinite: Art of

Author: Ken Levine (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $23.52

Blizzard, Art of

Author: Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier, Chris Metzen (December 25, 2012)
Page Count: 352
Amazon $47.25

Borderlands 2, Art of

Author: BradyGames (November 5, 2012)
Page Count: 208
Amazon $25.00

Darksiders II, Art of

Author: Joe Madureira, THQ (November 13, 2012)
Page Count: 200
Amazon $24.99

Dead Space: Art Of (Clamshell Edition) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Page Count: 224 (192 Normal + 32 Exclusive)
Limited Time You Get A Chrome Plated Marker Pendant As A Bonus (dead)
EA Store $65.00

Dead Space: Art of (Regular) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Amazon $23.07

Devil Survivor: Official Material Collection (June 11, 2013)

Amazon $26.57

Eve: Source

Author: CCP Games (March 18, 2014)
Amazon $29.22
Final Fantasy, The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 800
Book Depository (US) $104.99
Special Features: Hardcover, Boxed Set

Final Fantasy (Slipcase Edition), The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (July 2, 2013)
Page Count: 576
Amazon $56.69
Special Features: Hardcover, Slipcase Edition

Growlanser Art Works
Author: Satoshi Urushihara (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $24.99

Halo 4, Awakening: Art of

Author: Paul Davies (November 6, 2012)
Amazon $23.07

Heroes and Heroines: Japanese Video Game + Animation Illustration

Editor: Yoshiyuki Oba (October 2, 2012)
Publisher: PIE International
Amazon $16.74

Kingdom Hearts, The Artwork of

Author: Shiro Amano (October 29, 2013)
Publisher: Yen Press
Amazon $21.16

The Last of Us, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (July 16, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.03

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia

Author: Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Akira Himekawa (January 29, 2013)
Amazon $20.99

Mario Goodies Collection
Author: Naughty Dog Studios (May 28, 2014)
Publisher: Les Editions Pix'N Love
Amazon $26.88

Remember Me, The Art of

Author: Various (May 28, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.39

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: Official Complete Works

Author: Capcom (November 6, 2012)
Page Count: 152
Amazon $24.99

Shining Hearts: Collection of Visual Materials

Author: Tony Taka, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Amazon $24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog, History of

Author: Marc Petronille, William Audureau, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Page Count: 300
Amazon $23.09

Takehito Harada Art Works

Author: Takehito Harada (April 9, 2013)
Amazon $24.99
Features:
All four Disgaea titles, as well as Prinny 1 & 2, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave

Tomb Raider: Art of Survival

Author: BradyGames (March 18, 2013)
Publisher: BradyGames
Amazon $26

Transformers, Art of Fall of Cybertron

Author: Mark Bellomo (October 23, 2012)
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Amazon $23.09

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Complete Artworks

Author: Raita Honjou (March 26, 2013)
Amazon $29.69

[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Possibly Cancelled?]

Assassin's Creed: Art ( R )evolution

Editor: Debora Ferrari (October 2, 2012)
Amazon $19.46

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (October 15, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

League of Legends, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (July 16, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

Portal 2, Art of (currently MIA)

Author: Andy McVittie (November 13, 2012)
Amazon $23.09
[URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N"]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N[/url]"][/url]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457""]B&N[/url][/URL]$23.12

Twisted Metal, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (May 14, 2013)
Amazon $40.95
[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish the Ys, Okami, and Valkyria Chronicles art books were hardcover. I've so far avoided buying softcover books due to fear of them falling apart.

I wish the Ys, Okami, and Valkyria Chronicles art books were hardcover. I've so far avoided buying softcover books due to fear of them falling apart.
When they reissued the current Mega Man books, they made them HC, but that's not normally a thing for Udon in regards to these certain types of books. I have tons of their softcovers, and have never had any issues, but I normally keep them in plastic bags and properly stored. They do have HC books, but those are usually more expensive, so those are usually reserved for more popular franchises that can demand the more premium pricing.

Originally, the hardcovers were convention exclusives. Then they sold overstock in their own site. Prices were $80-100. Now, they’ve started reprinting hardcovers at lower prices and selling them on Amazon.

I would love to have okami in hardcover!

Man, my Ultimania 3 arrived with a few dents. I received two damaged Ultimania 2 books (one with dents and the other with dents and discoloration), and I got a third replacement. This time I'll probably keep it though since it's a hassle to drop it off and I worry they'll ban me for returns. Plus, I think they don't look for damage before shipping.

Last edited:
Man, my Ultimania 3 arrived with a few dents. I received two damaged Ultimania 2 books (one with dents and the other with dents and discoloration), and I got a third replacement. This time I'll probably keep it though since it's a hassle to drop it off and I worry they'll ban me for returns. Plus, I think they don't look for damage before shipping.
Amazon shipped my copy in a large box, but with no padding inside whatsoever, so anytime the box moved you could hear it thud against the side. Luckily it had minimal damage so I will keep it. Going to leave some packaging feedback though and let them know their packaging is a joke.

Mine arrived damaged. I'm going to drop it at an Amazon locker tomorrow and should have a replacement on Thursday.

It's also available in local Barnes & Nobles, but for $10-15 more than Amazon.

I'll let you know when they really ban for returns. I currently have a pile of them on my dining room table, which has pretty much become an Amazon return center. It's rare when I don't go through at least one replacement when it comes to Amazon orders.

If anyone cares about getting books in perfect condition, I'd order those Dark Horse video game art books from instocktrades.com. I think sometimes Amazon might offer a little more of a discount on Dark Horse books, but the odds of getting damaged books from instocktrades.com are slim.

I'll let you know when they really ban for returns. I currently have a pile of them on my dining room table, which has pretty much become an Amazon return center. It's rare when I don't go through at least one replacement when it comes to Amazon orders.

If anyone cares about getting books in perfect condition, I'd order those Dark Horse video game art books from instocktrades.com. I think sometimes Amazon might offer a little more of a discount on Dark Horse books, but the odds of getting damaged books from instocktrades.com are slim.
Yeah, I used to use B&N as a back up to Amazon, but I just let my membership expire, as their prices became shit in the last year, and packaging was hit and miss(having local returns helped though). Those deluxe Darkhorse books actually come in protective boxes, that even when packed poorly, insure a pretty good arrival condition. Sadly, the standard books often arrive in less than great condition, but I normally try to order at least 2 of those, as that helps to improve my odds.

Amazon shipped my copy in a large box, but with no padding inside whatsoever, so anytime the box moved you could hear it thud against the side. Luckily it had minimal damage so I will keep it. Going to leave some packaging feedback though and let them know their packaging is a joke.
That's good that it arrived fine. I should probably do that as well.

Mine arrived damaged. I'm going to drop it at an Amazon locker tomorrow and should have a replacement on Thursday.

It's also available in local Barnes & Nobles, but for $10-15 more than Amazon.
That sucks, good luck on the new one. I'll have to consider B&N in the future, but it would be nice if the price was a little closer.

Sounds like a pretty common issue then. I had heard reports of people being banned for too many returns, but maybe it doesn't count if they're damaged or something. Thanks for the site, hadn't heard of it, but their prices are close to Amazon, so I'll definitely keep them in mind for future orders.

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the InStockTrades site, as I used them years ago, and they were awesome. When i first found their site, I thought it was a scam, because the prices where so good. So after I placed my order, and did some research, I saw they were legit, so I placed another order.

Then, customer service contacted me because I had placed two orders for the same price, and they thought I may have made a mistake, and wanted to catch it. How awesome was that? A place actually trying to prevent fraud, instead of being a part of it, what a concept right? LOL

I thought I was on their email list, but I guess not, as I completely forgot about that place until today, and they did have some amazing deals.

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the InStockTrades site, as I used them years ago, and they were awesome. When i first found their site, I thought it was a scam, because the prices where so good. So after I placed my order, and did some research, I saw they were legit, so I placed another order.

Then, customer service contacted me because I had placed two orders for the same price, and they thought I may have made a mistake, and wanted to catch it. How awesome was that? A place actually trying to prevent fraud, instead of being a part of it, what a concept right? LOL

I thought I was on their email list, but I guess not, as I completely forgot about that place until today, and they did have some amazing deals.
Sometimes I feel bad like I'm getting over on them with some of the deals they have that stack, until recently I went and added up the maaany thousands of dollars I've spent there over the years. Many orders including books I didn't even want/need, or had random filler to hit that $50 free shipping.

Now I'm not so sure that they are the ones who've been taken advantage of in our relationship...

Sometimes I feel bad like I'm getting over on them with some of the deals they have that stack, until recently I went and added up the maaany thousands of dollars I've spent there over the years. Many orders including books I didn't even want/need, or had random filler to hit that $50 free shipping.

Now I'm not so sure that they are the ones who've been taken advantage of in our relationship...
LOL. yeah, it's probably good I forgot about these guys, as no telling how much I may have spent since that first order a few years back(3 years to be exact). If I had one complaint, it would be that shipping took a minute, but considering it was free, and the books I ordered weighed a ton, it was all good.

LOL. yeah, it's probably good I forgot about these guys, as no telling how much I may have spent since that first order a few years back(3 years to be exact). If I had one complaint, it would be that shipping took a minute, but considering it was free, and the books I ordered weighed a ton, it was all good.
I'd be scared to look at my total. When I look at my order history, it's staggering. I occasionally feel like asking them how many people order more than I do. Obviously, most of that is not video game art books, but I do have almost all of the Dark Horse ones. There is an occasional issue with Dark Horse where they may not stock something immediately for some reason. It has been a while since that has happened, though.

And, yeah, they are not the greatest if anyone values speed over condition. For me, I don't care if I have to wait as long as I don't have to worry about books looking worse than if I picked them up at a garage sale. And I am admittedly super picky (right now my nightmare is this latest Trails of Cold Steel game that had to come in a stupid flimsy half empty cardboard box that has been impossible to get without it being creased/damaged on corners - if only IST sold video games). Instocktrades' shipping time has even increased since they stopped using Fedex by default (I did recently start getting stuff from Fedex again, though, so I wonder if a change is coming). I usually get stuff in 6-7 days after order. For books that aren't Dark Horse, that is still probably before Amazon would start shipping them.

They are the only retailer I know of that actually cares about books arriving to the customer in the same condition they left. And the cost of the packing materials is obviously not passed on to the customer, either. If they ever go under, my entire life will have to be re-evaluated. :)

Replacement FF Ultimania 3 from Amazon came in much better but still not mint. I'll take it. They actually put air pillows in the package this time

Replacement FF Ultimania 3 from Amazon came in much better but still not mint. I'll take it. They actually put air pillows in the package this time
Yeah, those air pillows are just about the worst thing for shipping I've ever seen in my life, as it's like using a balloon to add padding to an item. Which would be awesome if packages didn't get slammed or thrown around, which in turn "pops" these air packets. For every package I get with those, more than half are always popped, which in turn means the item is now free to move, which always causes damage. Sadly, these shit devises have become an industry standard, as I'm sure they cost pennies on the dollar, and you get what you pay for.

Yeah, those air pillows are just about the worst thing for shipping I've ever seen in my life, as it's like using a balloon to add padding to an item. Which would be awesome if packages didn't get slammed or thrown around, which in turn "pops" these air packets. For every package I get with those, more than half are always popped, which in turn means the item is now free to move, which always causes damage. Sadly, these shit devises have become an industry standard, as I'm sure they cost pennies on the dollar, and you get what you pay for.
I can't recall the last time air pillows in an Amazon package did anything. When they are there, they just throw a couple in there. The item still can slide all over the place, it just might not be able to move vertically in part of the package. The air pillows are almost sarcastic.

I remember back in the days when they gave a crap they'd put items on a piece of cardboard, shrink wrap it to the cardboard, then place it in an appropriately sized box.

I can't recall the last time air pillows in an Amazon package did anything. When they are there, they just throw a couple in there. The item still can slide all over the place, it just might not be able to move vertically in part of the package. The air pillows are almost sarcastic.

I remember back in the days when they gave a crap they'd put items on a piece of cardboard, shrink wrap it to the cardboard, then place it in an appropriately sized box.
Yeah, those days were great. Now that was some packaging!

We don’t always adhere strictly to that here. I figured it was worth mentioning because the CEs tend to be KS exclusives (with extras showing up on their site sometimes).
I wasnt suggesting it didn't belong here. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. But it didn't occur to me until I read the FAQ that it was all text. (FAQ stated the only image is the cover.)

Is there going to be another Persona 5 artbook? I still have my Prima one sealed & don’t want to sell it, but I need to raise funds to go to PAX West.

So Bitmap Books announced they're going to do an Atari 2600/7800 compendium with preorders in November.

Additionally, they'll start preorders in July/August for a Metal Slug book with SNK

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/blogs/news/metal-slug-the-ultimate-history-coming-soon
Thanks for the heads up,as I've been waiting on the Metal Slug pre-orders to start, but had no idea about the 2600/7800 book in the works. I just missed out on this new Atari book through KS within the last month, so I'm gonna contact the creator and see if it will be offered outside of KS after release. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294981709/atari-a-visual-history Also, it doesn't seem to really have anything bookwise that's exclusive to KS, so a retail version should hopefully happen.

And since we're on the Atari subject, I just discovered this new book yesterday and placed an order. http://www.zafinnbooks.com

Damn, it seems sold out now, but I'll still post the link, as the creator said a reprint is possible. Even when I ordered yesterday, I was one of the last 5 offered, as only 100 where printed, and the 5 released I guess where held for lost or damages. So I got in just in time I guess, as I just happened to see an ad in my latest Retro Gamer(which is often a month old by the time I receive). It was also very expensive, as in about $73 US out the door, as it's shipped with tracking and proper packaging, so it's rather high overall. He has a part 2 coming as well, which the proceeds from vol. 1 are supposed to cover.

Finally got my EVA art book and man they packed it in the most size appropriate box. No damage but no bubble packing either. Either way the book is pretty cool and a for sure buy if your a Eva fan. Thanks for the heads up! 

I ended up using it on Bioshock: Rapture. Was also considering Metro 2033. Figure I have a ton of art books lying around already, so thought I'd get a novel this time (at least it's still gaming related)

So the product pages for the books I want to pre-order say theres an applicable coupon. But when I add them to cart and try to manually enter the coupon nothing happens.

Amazon pls. You are making buying nothing for Prime Day too easy

So the product pages for the books I want to pre-order say theres an applicable coupon. But when I add them to cart and try to manually enter the coupon nothing happens.
Amazon pls. You are making buying nothing for Prime Day too easy
Not to give Amazon more business, but can't you just click a checkbox on the product page to apply the coupon automatically?

For some reason its not showing up for me? The product page shows the coupon as being checked and says its redeemed, but then nothing
Sounds like an error in their system, then. You could probably contact CS and get the price adjusted manually (take screenshots), but it seems like at least some CS reps are getting kinda bitchy lately.

I ended up using it on Bioshock: Rapture. Was also considering Metro 2033. Figure I have a ton of art books lying around already, so thought I'd get a novel this time (at least it's still gaming related)
As someone who read Bioshock: Rapture very recently I will tell you that I absolutely loved it. If you're a fan of Bioshock you'll enjoy the hell out of it. Its weird in that original Ken Levine said he was helping and it was going to be Canon and then after release I think he changed his mind and said it isn't Canon... A few minor things retconned in the book but overall I thought it was a great read and I really enjoyed it. Great choice!

I just noticed Amazon has a listing for FF DOT: The Pixel Art of Final Fantasy for $17.12 currently, due out in January 2020.

https://www.amazon.com/FF-DOT-Pixel-Final-Fantasy/dp/1506713521/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ff+dot&qid=1563425503&s=books&sr=1-1

I wish I would've seen this when the Prime Day $5 off coupon was still valid.
Oh yay, another book I recently imported getting localized. And the US edition's MSRP is cheaper for a change -_- Wonder if it will have the embossed cover that the JP edition has.

Comic-Con just started, and this isn't on Dark Horse's website yet, so the listing is probably brand new.

bread's done
Back