Transformers Movie - DVD & HD DVD Sales Break Records

[quote name='Kaijufan']I like Unicron, but I just don't think it would work very well in a live action movie.[/QUOTE]

I think it would work fine except for the Death Star comparisons holding it down. It would be something that has never been done before and the fact that he doesn't have to fit into normal scenery just space would make the effects easy enough to do.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']If you can find me a sweet Bumblebee wallpaper, I'll love you long time.[/quote]
I took a shot at making one, no big deal if you don't like it/use it:

The more I hear about the game, the more I want to try the game than watch the movie.

They've got Peter Cullen doing Prime's voice, Frank Welker doing Megatron's voice and they've now got Flint Dille(G1 writer) writing the story for the game. I'm hoping the game will be like a classic G1 episode(even though the characters will look different).

[quote name='tangytangerine']The more I hear about the game, the more I want to try the game than watch the movie.

They've got Peter Cullen doing Prime's voice, Frank Welker doing Megatron's voice and they've now got Flint Dille(G1 writer) writing the story for the game. I'm hoping the game will be like a classic G1 episode(even though the characters will look different).[/quote]

There will be unlockables...Classic G1 skins.

AICN just posted up close pictures of Prime, Megatron, and Bumblebee

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32799

optimus.jpg

megatron.jpg

bumble.jpg

[quote name='tangytangerine']Damn, Megatron's ugly. At least they kept the classic eye colors the same as the cartoon, blue=Autobots, red=Decepticons.[/QUOTE]

not all transformer eye colors are the same.

[quote name='ITDEFX']not all transformer eye colors are the same.[/quote]

Which ones don't follow what I said? The only Decepticon I can think of that doesn't have red eyes is Shockwave(yellow eye). Never seen a Autobot that doesn't have blue eyes.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Which ones don't follow what I said? The only Decepticon I can think of that doesn't have red eyes is Shockwave(yellow eye). Never seen a Autobot that doesn't have blue eyes.[/QUOTE]

I can't think of any of them at the moment......... but I know some of them had different colored eyes. Very few but they exists... Ramhorn (Blaster's cassette), his eyes are yellow.

makes me wonder if any of the transformers will have there faction symbol displayed on there outer hull (wing, door, side) when they are in car/plane mode?

is it me or do they all seem like giant over sized bugs? And when optimus prime pulls up as a Mack Truck in the trailer, i could not help but laugh, i have a feeling that this one is going to disapoint.

[quote name='InuFaye']is it me or do they all seem like giant over sized bugs? And when optimus prime pulls up as a Mack Truck in the trailer, i could not help but laugh, i have a feeling that this one is going to disapoint.[/QUOTE]

Well although Micheal Bay is directing it, it could have been worse..... it could have been directed by John Woo, so instead we will see a bunch of birds come out of no where and fly in slow motion.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Sounds closer to Starscream's voice in Beast Wars than G1. Sigh :???:, seems only Chris Latta could nail his voice right.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Bumblebee doesn't speak there other than maybe the high pitched squeel part. The voice saying "Its you and me now." is Optimus Prime.[/quote]

I saw it on Seibertron.com they said its most likely Bumblebee since the trailer revolves around him. I thought it would be OP as well but I guess time will tell.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Bumblebee doesn't speak there other than maybe the high pitched squeel part. The voice saying "Its you and me now." is Optimus Prime.[/quote]

That squeel belongs to some baby in the background. It's not even part of the trailer.

[quote name='jughead'] Unicron in 3 would be cool.[/QUOTE]

NO!

What's the point?!?!?

I doubt Prime will carry the Matrix inside of him in this movie.

If the leaked script I read was real (and it seems to be based on recent trailers) then the device that controls Bumblebee's voice was damaged in a battle before he came to Earth, and now he can only speak by using clips from the radio, which is kind of strange.

[quote name='ITDEFX']NO!

What's the point?!?!?

I doubt Prime will carry the Matrix inside of him in this movie.[/QUOTE]

The point is... bigger robots equal bigger fun.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']That squeel belongs to some baby in the background. It's not even part of the trailer.[/QUOTE]

Not that part, there is a bit of a buzzing sound when Sam asks "Are you my guardian?" that sounds like Bumblebee acknowledging him somehow.

So who is going out and hunting figures Saturday? I expect the damage to my wallet to be extensive and I already have most of the deluxe figures. I don't think I really plan on skipping anything other than Fast Action Battlers, since I'll be buying the bigger versions. Plushes, Titaniums, Unleashes, all that crap is gonna be mine come Saturday. :)

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']So who is going out and hunting figures Saturday? I expect the damage to my wallet to be extensive and I already have most of the deluxe figures. I don't think I really plan on skipping anything other than Fast Action Battlers, since I'll be buying the bigger versions. Plushes, Titaniums, Unleashes, all that crap is gonna be mine come Saturday. :)[/quote]

I plan on getting Target Exclusive Optimus Prime, Optimash Prime, Ironhide, some Titaniums, definately the Bumble Bee Unleashed and the Robot Heroes.

82910a0643b_Main200.jpg
Robo_in_th.jpg
228759ba7bf_Main200.jpg
82984dc0c1c_Main200.jpg

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I plan on getting Target Exclusive Optimus Prime, Optimash Prime, Ironhide, some Titaniums, definately the Bumble Bee Unleashed and the Robot Heroes.

82910a0643b_Main200.jpg
Robo_in_th.jpg
228759ba7bf_Main200.jpg
82984dc0c1c_Main200.jpg
[/QUOTE]

HOLY CRAP. Optimash Prime will be mine!

[quote name='A Happy Panda']LOL at the video. Did Spike really just punt Ravage?[/quote]

Actually, Ravage isn't in the movie, that's Frenzy.

As for the video, that sounds more like Prime than Bumblebee.

[quote name='deadite76']Higher quality video:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32831

On Saturday, Optimash can finally take his place between Darth Tater and Spider-Spud![/quote]
Ditto + Artoo-Potatoo for me.

02456266a48c_main400.jpg

Edit: just saw the video. Even that site mentions BB's voice but his voice is that electronic humming noise as far as I can tell. I agree with everyone elese that it might be Optimus or someone else.

Kmart is getting an exclusive version of the Unleashed Bumblebee with a free comic if that matters to you. I'm gonna go out today and look for some stuff ahead of Saturday, don't really wanna drop like $500 in one trip. :)

There are some sales starting Sunday so that might make me hold off on some things too. Also, for anyone looking Walmart will have Bumblebee and Barricade together and TRU will have Blackout and Scorponok if you want to save a few bucks by getting two packs.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Kmart is getting an exclusive version of the Unleashed Bumblebee with a free comic if that matters to you. I'm gonna go out today and look for some stuff ahead of Saturday, don't really wanna drop like $500 in one trip. :)

There are some sales starting Sunday so that might make me hold off on some things too. Also, for anyone looking Walmart will have Bumblebee and Barricade together and TRU will have Blackout and Scorponok if you want to save a few bucks by getting two packs.[/quote]

We have a TF Toy discussion thread if you want to join us...or any of you:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111043

Appearently this guy saw the raw movie and here's his review:

I really enjoyed it. It made me feel like I was 10 years old again. I don't think a summer movie has made me feel that way since The Matrix.
Full review here...beware of spoilers: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32844

He does say that its the best out of S-M 3, Shrek 3, and Pirates: AWE

EDIT: looks like the movie will now be out July 3rd....which sucks for me as I was hoping it would be July 4th since I don't have work that day.

YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST! TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE OPENS A DAY EARLY ON JULY 3RD, 2007!!!!!!!!!!

TRANSFORMERS TO PREMIERE AT THE LA FILM FESTIVAL.

Film Independent announced that the highly anticipated summer blockbuster Transformers will have its Los Angeles premiere at the 2007 Los Angeles Film Festival on June 27th. The premiere will be one of the largest in Los Angeles and will be screened simultaneously in four Westwood Village theaters. The red-carpet premiere will be followed by a massive block party – which is open to anyone who attends one of the film’s four screenings. Transformers was directed by Michael Bay, and stars Shia LaBeouf, Tyrese Gibson, Josh Duhamel, Anthony Anderson, Megan Fox, Rachael Taylor, John Turturro and Jon Voight. Tickets to the premiere are 25 dollars and can be obtained now by purchasing a pass to this year’s Festival. Any single tickets remaining will be sold beginning June 8th by calling 866.FILM.FEST (866.345.6337) or by visiting LAFilmFest.com.

Also, in case you don’t already have them, below are the streaming links for the newest Transformers trailer and the TV Spots.

Check out the MTV Movie Awards this Sunday, June 3rd, at 8pm for never-before-seen footage from Transformers.

Also, you can now see Transformers a day earlier! Transformers hits theaters on July 3rd.

www.TransformersMovie.com

bah I didn't win that premiere contest :(

oh well

This movie is gonna be the movie of 2007!!!!

although I hate AICN, if one of there reviewers loves a movie, its pretty much a good deal that the movie will be successful. Remember they hated Batman and Robin, which lead to it being major suckage!!

EDIT: looks like the movie will now be out July 3rd....which sucks for me as I was hoping it would be July 4th since I don't have work that day.

Does that mean the film will be showing all day on the 3rd or will the screenings start at 8:00 pm like PoTC?

the only problem i have with the 3rd is that my nephew/godson will be turning 1 year old that day :| I prey for a midnight showing so I can see AND celebrate my nephews b-day... hell no im not taking a baby to a movie theater!

[quote name='karkyco']Wow. The game looks pretty damn tight. Hopefully it will be out on PS3 as well.[/QUOTE]

Looks ok. I hope the visuals don't look so muddy like in the trailer and all the screenshots I've seen. I'll wait for reviews.

Review with spoilers!

Hi all, the filmcoyote here again.
Anyway, mentioned having seen Transformers in the 'trailer that shows a lot' Talkback and a couple of Talkbackers said elaborate. It's a slow afternoon so what the hell.

Background: I was born ass-end of the 70s (this is going somewhere I promise) so hit the Transformers toy craze at the perfect age (see). Loved the cartoon, toys and 86 movie at the time but haven't revisited them as an adult. My trepidation of seeing a live action movie of Transformers did not come from a flames on Optimus/Bumblebee's not a VW bug stand point but just from a who the hell gives a rat's ass stand point. Michael Bay, meh, liked Rock and Bad Boys, hated Armageddon, laughed my ass off through Pearl Harbor (I expect not the intended reaction) so wasn't really bothered either way by him.

But I think my biggest issue was fogy syndrome. I have started to think I'm getting too old to enjoy cinematic lunacy fully. I was bored by 300, found myself complaining about characterisation in Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3 (can't believe that would even have occurred to me as a kid) and was stunned that even Johnny Depp did nothing forme in Pirates 3. I wondered whether it was all the constant CG, that I yearned for the good old days of the Schwarzenegger 80s! When life was simpler. I felt this might have been confirmed when the John Rambo trailer got me as excited as a school kid two weeks ago.

Transformers proved me wrong. Characterization? - Where? CG? - Everywhere! But I really enjoyed it. It made me feel like I was 10 years old again. I don't think a summer movie has made me feel that way since The Matrix.

Let me elaborate. I will not lie to you, is Transformers a great movie, brilliantly written, completely devoid of a feeling of big-screen toy-advertisement? No, it isn't.

Are all the robots a great design? Well, this will split people I'm sure but Megatron sucks for sure. Have they picked great actors doing it for the art? Ha, Turturro's manicness and Voight's phoning in leave you with a sense of them dancing around their paychecks off screen with glee.

There's also this little robot (kind of the equivalent of Ravage and Laserbeak in the cartoon) that is played for comic effect that is incredibly irritating. But somehow - maybe because I had no expectations and with so maybe sequels these days expectations are hard to silence - I got past all these flaws and just enjoyed it for the sheer entertainment. And damn is it entertaining.

The film wastes no time getting down to business. That much touted helicopter transformation that trashes the army base present in some sense since the first trailer is the first scene of the whole film. In fact it moves back and forth between kick ass action (usually involving army guys and Decepticons) and the "human" story (Shia, Megan) nicely for the first 40 minutes or so.

The film has nods to the cartoon (a VW bug sitting next to Bumblebee in the used-car lot, the corny more than meets the eye line comes up at least twice, the cartoon transforming noise is in there) but is mostly its own thing.

The "human" more comedic side is actually pretty good. Often these days films can't get the balance of these things and they feel forced in and just make you wish they'd get back to big fuck-off robots battling (which is why we're there anyway). I think the reason they get away with it is LaBeouf. I had only seen him in Holes and Bobby prior to this and hadn't understood why there was such a buzz on him but his comic-timing is superb. He is just so effortlessly likeable. It's like Tom Hanks in Big, Will Smith in Independence Day, Michael J Fox in Back to The Future, he's effortless and gives a great performance.
And the reason I think this is why these bits work is simple: it's not the script - I know this because there's also another "human" story involving "sleeping throught the movie" Jon Voight and a bunch of tech geeks. And these bits are painful.

There's this one Aussie actress (if she warrants the term actress) who is almost as wooden as Keira Knightley. None of the actors in this section can do anything with the banal dialogue they are given, they simply don't have the talent. Thankfully there's not much of them. Shia just brings the whole thing to life, he is a true joy to watch and i look forward to other films he's in. Megan Fox is of course also in most of his scenes and she's fine. She is not bad at all and she's gorgeous but any reasonable actress her age could have done just as well. Shia is working on another level from those around him.

The print I saw had no score just temp tracks from The Rock, American Beauty and something else I couldn't place. I hope the real score is great because the American Beauty bits (which kicked in everytime Megan and Shia appeared on their own) were really distracting.

But what you want to know is robots, right? We've all seen the designs and for me they work fine. They are a bit busy but they have a sense of the real to them. Realism no. This is a movie about giant fuck-off robots, there's no room for realism but in a way they make sense, it feels right that they are what they are. As for what the Transform into, this is explained away in a Bumblebee scene when we see him as a beat up car scan another car and instantly upgrade to look bad new. The reason he's not a VW? That's not what he scanned. So essentially all these robots could become anything. The only thing they never really explain is why all the Decepticons seem to be able to fly while none of the Autobots can. Maybe, they just don't chose to.

The thing on here the other day about the trailer with Bumblebee's voice - not Bumblebee's voice. Bumblebee doesn't talk - his voice unit was damaged in a war - and he communicates through his radio. Peter Cullen is great as Optimus Prime but, maybe it's just me, but he didn't sound much like he did in the cartoon. I don't know why they bothered getting Hugo Weaving in for Megatron. For a start Megatron's barely in the film - he's in maybe the last 20 minutes - and it could be anyone voicing.

The thing that really had me awed though is the transformations. When one of the robots transforms mid movement is looks incredible. Barricade (a Decepticon police cruiser) is first to do it, chasing Bumblebee and Shia in robot form and transforming into his car form in mid-stride. There are more instances in the non-stop action finale - the best of them being Starscream mif-flight transformation to land in robot form and enter a fray. These are the moments that really took me, that transported me back into my 10-year-old self. I got so excited by it. As I say I probably haven't been genuinely excited by watching a blockbuster since The Matrix. It was a feeling I remember having for Jedi as a kid, Batman and T2 as a teenager.

I'm not saying Transformers is as good as T2 but it was a real surprise. It has plot weaknesses and some shakey performances but it is hugely entertaining both in the frequent battle set pieces, whether human vs robot or robot vs robot, and in the Shia LaBeouf moments. Even some of the comedy (Optimus trying to hide behind a house he's twice the size of) worked for me (although my friend this scene a little over the top). But that's just it, like the first Pirates movie it is the over-the-topness combined with great set pieces and superb special effects that make it so enjoyable and help you see past the flaws. I'm sure those more invested in the 80s show will have issues with things I either didn't notice or don't get (why is flames on Optimus a big deal? - though I get the Optimus mouth thing, that was weird) but then that's like comic-book movies to me, I never read them so I don't care if Venom's a great or sucky character in Spider-Man I just want to be entertained for a couple of hours.

Transformers did that for me. Best of this years crop so far (not that the disappointing Spider-Man 3, dull At World's End or abyssmal Shrek the Third set the bar high mind you!) by a long way.

bread's done
Back