UFC 2009: Undisputed - General Discussion and Info - Releases 5/19

Honestly, I love hearing the complaints about this game being "bullshit" because people get starched or armbarred out of nowhere. Have you guys ever seen an MMA fight? This happens ALL THE TIME. I'll bet you a million bucks that 99% of the time, it happens because you got excited that you had someone on the ropes and you got too aggressive.

Think that's unrealistic? What about the last Fedor vs. Arlovski fight? Arlovski was winning, but then got excited, overconfident, and BING! Goodnight! I know it's not exactly built into the "mechanics" of the game, but guys often play possum in real life. To me, this kinda stuff is no different. I've played about 20 online matches so far, and I haven't had one loss that was really bullshit. I've either been outclassed or stupid. You just have to know how to play the game.

Oh, and to the guy wondering if he'll enjoy this because he's not very good at SFIV or Mortal Kombat. There are no fireballs or haduokens in this game. Personally, I don't even like calling it a "fighting game". It's a combat sports game. There are no "special moves", and combos only exist in the sense of throwing a good 1-2. My advice would be, if you enjoy watching MMA, you'll probably enjoy playing this game. If you don't, then you won't.

Career mode has some serious cheese. I'm playing on beginner to level up my guy quickly. 11-0, Middleweight Champion. Every fight's been cake. Then I lost to Anderson Silva and his muay thai clinch. 14 TIMES IN A ROW. I can beat Silva on Experienced with my 42 overall CAF, but he keeps flash KOing me or kneeing me to death in the inescapable clinch of doom during career.

Reminds me of the TNA Impact game when the fight against Kevin Nash was a huge leap in difficulty/cheapness, and I eventually gave up and never played that game again.

i knocked out james irvin this morning in just 7 seconds...much like the bang ludwig fight he was out in 3 but i had to wait for dean to run over and stop the clock.

"That was easy!" Achievement is aptly named.

I trained with Black House because their my fav team (Nog & Silva?!? Perfect!) and after I got their logo I switched to BTT because I still have love for the ole CB/BTT rivalry.

I also scored a rental copy with a coupon I had and I can't decide if it is worth buying.

Exhibition mode for me is lacking. I really wish it was easier to jump into another fight after a match versus having to exit and then pick new fighters.

Career mode is ok but I wish you could use real fighters. Also I tend to suck at training so I am running into problems building my fighter up. I am undefeated but running into problems now since my skills are so low. I have no problems with timing my training so I have enough rest but the actual sparring and tasks I suck at scoring enough points in. At this point I would settle for auto-training since it would score higher than I do but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Overall it is a strong new UFC game but I feel like it could have been so much better and hopefully some of this will be addressed in a sequel. Also with the limited exhibition mode I don't know how long it will hold my interest.

I tried multiple times just for fun to see if I can win by taking out someone's legs but no such luck. I was hoping to see someone fall due to leg kicks but no such luck yet. It is interesting that your stamina dips more than theirs for throwing the kick versus taking one. I was also surprised that when I beat someone with body kicks to the point where they are rolling on the ground in the fetal position that the ref still doesn't stop the fight. Not game breaking but was just surprised since they put the animation in since it doesn't seem to draw a TKO. Instead the game forces you to jump on them and throw a punch or two for the stoppage.

I got a TKO from body kicks in the demo. I was playing and at one point every kick got the gray screen but I didn't finish it to see how much damage I could do. Suddenly the fight was called after a body punch and the announcers said it was because the other fighter couldn't defend themselves.

I was kind of at the same point. Every body blow popped the gray screen and the fighter would fall to the ground where he would lay on his side holding his stomach or rolling around a little. I would then let him up and repeat the process for 3 more minutes. I figured eventually they would stop the fight from a hit if I kept it up but I got bored since he regained a quarter of his stamina every time he got up.

I also wish they showed more face damage. I was hoping to recreate the Ortiz/Shamrock fight results but I may have to wait for Fight Night 4 for those effects. After the striking game in UFC I may not enjoy it as much though.

yeah the game isn't perfect by any stretch, but it's such a massive improvement over the previous gen i'm willing to forgive a lot just for the chance to beat down chuck and wanderlei over and over again.

Ok, NOW I'm pist off, I hope they have a patch coming soon for this shit. So far, out of my four ranked today, 3 people have pulled the plug early. This is complete bullshit. That should have been four wins. Also, I think they pull the plug cause I seem to tap them out once there Stamina is done with, I just hope they find a freaking patch for this. It's really starting to piss me off alot.

I do think there should be a penalty for disconnecting, but it might not always be the person's fault (but I can easily see people pulling to avoid taking a loss). The server/system seems a little buggy to me. I've had a couple disconnects out of nowhere. One was last night when I was fighting Ultimate Matt X. I can say with certainty that it was neither of our connections because we were in a party, and the party didn't drop.

We were both like "WTF is happening??" lol. The screen just froze and we couldn't move, then it went black and said "connection lost". I'm hoping THQ does something to smooth out bugs, but I don't know what their track record is with that kind of stuff (never was into Smackdown).

Yeah I've had the plug pulled on me twice during submissions where the guy thought he was going to get tapped. Also someone got 'rocked' and disconned on me. Once people realize there is no penalty they will go apeshit! Anyways, if anyone wants to play just for fun later add me to XBL and we can brawl :)

I usually just kick them off me at that point.

As for the online issues, people I know have complained because the results apparently don't save until after you exit the fight. So someone could get KO'd and then leave with no penalty.

Smackdown never had any such issues. In fact, when someone disconnected, they got a loss on their record and you could finish the match against the CPU.

[quote name='Matt Young']Another cool little feature, seen on a friend's profile just now:

Playing UFC 2009 Undisputed
Xbox LIVE Menu 5 Consecutive Wins[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't be me is it? :D I got the 15 win ranked achievement today.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']That wouldn't be me is it? :D I got the 15 win ranked achievement today.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it was joe2187. Bastard never did join the league.

I was up to a 15 win streak untill a Decent player (One who didn't quit when he ALMOST tapp'd out or was in the dazed state) got me down and ground pounded me for TWO Dazed states. The First one I escaped just by blocking, but i tried reversing the second one and that was the end of it. He actually sent me a Message saying good fight. Honestly, I will fist bump in the begining of the match. If they fist bump back I know it's gonna be a good fight. I gotta say though this game is all about skill, timing, and reading your opponent honestly. I will say this when somebody quits out If they are either right in the middle of tapping or in the Dazed state. I ALWAYS Send them a message that says "Next time take your loss like a man." Then of course I always get either one of two messages "Stop fighting like a bitch asshole" or "Your a pussy, Eat these nutz" I guess people just don't understand that NO STAMINA = TAPOUT, Morons.

The disconnectors are annoying, but it seems like the whole online system is a little messed up. I can never find a quick fight, but if I create one it takes just a second to find an opponent. I got disconnected from Live once when I was winning, but it wasn't an issue with my internet at all. They need to fix some stability issues with their online mode.

[quote name='whiptcracker']The disconnectors are annoying, but it seems like the whole online system is a little messed up. I can never find a quick fight, but if I create one it takes just a second to find an opponent. I got disconnected from Live once when I was winning, but it wasn't an issue with my internet at all. They need to fix some stability issues with their online mode.[/QUOTE]

This is the same thing with Street Fighter IV. If you search you can't find but if you create a match you get someone instantaneously.

What is the secret to increasing the level of your character? I'm at the mid-50's in year 4 (only 7 years in career.) I have mid 70's ratings on strength and cardio, high 50's on speed. I have the either level 4 or 5 sparring partner and I get dominated so bad I can't earn any attribute points.

Also what is the best solution for getting out from under a full mount?

[quote name='MSUHitman']What is the secret to increasing the level of your character? I'm at the mid-50's in year 4 (only 7 years in career.) I have mid 70's ratings on strength and cardio, high 50's on speed. I have the either level 4 or 5 sparring partner and I get dominated so bad I can't earn any attribute points.

Also what is the best solution for getting out from under a full mount?[/QUOTE]

In sparring just control the match and don't let your partner hit you. Hit him a bunch of times and than take him down. Do some transitions, get to full mount, do some GnP and block his transition attempts. I'm averaging 66 sparing points doing this. Would love to get more though.

And I suck at the ground game, so not sure.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Also what is the best solution for getting out from under a full mount?[/QUOTE]

Well, if they've got you in a dominant position (mount, half guard, closed guard, etc.), you first have to do a minor transition (quarter circle with right stick). Once you've got it back to a more neutral position (side control, open guard, etc.), you can do a major transition (2/5 circle with right stick) to get back up. I think the biggest thing with the ground game is not spazzing out and making sure you're inputting your circles calmly and smoothly. It works well once you get the hang of it.

Oh, and yeah, homeland is dead on for the sparring. Just control the fight, land shots, and maybe even go for a submission with about 10 seconds left. I don't think there's enough time to actually make your partner tap (or who knows if the game would even let you), but if you attempt a sub and time runs out before they reverse it, I think it makes you look good, haha. :)

u can definetly make ur partner tap..you can even make him tap out more than once but i think ur not rewarded as many points for doing the same thing.

[quote name='homeland']u can definetly make ur partner tap..you can even make him tap out more than once but i think ur not rewarded as many points for doing the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? Wow...I guess my submissions just suck then, haha.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Oh really? Wow...I guess my submissions just suck then, haha.[/QUOTE]

If you want to be able to submit via button mashing, train strength. I tapped the AI when they were at half stamina.

Also,
Lyoto Machida KO'd Evans!!!! Evans went down like a ragdoll. That was insane. I don't think people will be able to say that Machida doesn't know how to finish a fight. They should update the game to increase Machida's standing strike offense :)

Also, Serra got robbed.

[quote name='whiptcracker']If you want to be able to submit via button mashing, train strength. I tapped the AI when they were at half stamina.

Also,
Lyoto Machida KO'd Evans!!!! Evans went down like a ragdoll. That was insane. I don't think people will be able to say that Machida doesn't know how to finish a fight. They should update the game to increase Machida's standing strike offense :)

Also, Serra got robbed.
[/QUOTE]

I have decent strength and submission skills, but I can't even make Dan Henderson or Okami tap in career mode. I've let the fights go 5 rounds, got their stamina down to a sliver of red, but never once made it to the second stage of a submission hold via button pressing or furious stick twirling. I've submitted the CPU on Advanced with freakin' Chuck Liddell, but I can't do this? Nonsense. I just want the Submission of the Night award for the achievement.

And Serra wasn't robbed. It shouldn't have been a unanimous decision, but Hughes won the fight, or at worst, it was a draw. But I say Hughes by split decision.

[quote name='Matt Young'] but never once made it to the second stage of a submission hold via button pressing or furious stick twirling. [/QUOTE]

I read on GAF to do the stick twirling put the stick in the meat of your palm and do it that way. Lo' and behold it works like a charm. Get perfect turns 80-90% of the time and I'm finally able to perform submissions.

Yeah, that's how I do it with submissions. I use my thumb for transitions, but palm twirl for submissions. I have that shit down from years of Mario Party. It's just not getting me results in career mode.

[quote name='homeland']I read on GAF to do the stick twirling put the stick in the meat of your palm and do it that way. Lo' and behold it works like a charm. Get perfect turns 80-90% of the time and I'm finally able to perform submissions.[/QUOTE]

Does clockwise/counter-clockwise make a difference? I've been wondering because for whatever reason, I seem to be more successful button mashing to get subs than stick twirling.

I'm almost positive you have to do it clockwise.

Nate, can you tell me how to do a major transition from the missionary position to the 69?

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm almost positive you have to do it clockwise.

Nate, can you tell me how to do a major transition from the missionary position to the 69?[/QUOTE]

alcohol and a lot of lube, lol

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm almost positive you have to do it clockwise.

Nate, can you tell me how to do a major transition from the missionary position to the 69?[/QUOTE]

Major transition from open to side, minor from side to north-south.

While Serra couldn't get it back to standing or sweep from his back, he negated Hughes offense on the ground and Mazagatti took way too long to stand them back up again. It was a stalemate on the ground, but standing Serra was winning. Maybe a draw with Serra round 1, Hughes round 2, and even third round, but in the third Serra did more on his back than Hughes did from the top.

I've done all my subs from button mashing. Sub of the night is a pain in the ass, I got it on my 8th sub in career from a rear naked choke in the 1st round, and I don't know why. I'd triangles, flying armbars, and even the rolling leglock, but the rear choke is what got me the award.

I feel like I'm the only one that gets these type of E-mails in Career mode...all the fighters seem to hate me with an undying fury...

IMG_0107.jpg

Haha, so that's what you were referring to, Joe. All I ever get is messages from Dana fellating me in written form. I did have Yushin Okami send a message asking why I was ducking him... the day after I accepted a fight with him. Hmm.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Major transition from open to side, minor from side to north-south.
[/QUOTE]

LOL... I know how to do the transitions, and I know what the positions are called. I was just referencing what Nate told me last night about the comments a guy made during a fight with him.

[quote name='Matt Young']Haha, so that's what you were referring to, Joe. All I ever get is messages from Dana fellating me in written form. I did have Yushin Okami send a message asking why I was ducking him... the day after I accepted a fight with him. Hmm.

LOL... I know how to do the transitions, and I know what the positions are called. I was just referencing what Nate told me last night about the comments a guy made during a fight with him.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, didn't catch that. My wife calls the positions the same thing.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Ahhh, didn't catch that. My wife calls the positions the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, Matt and I were just talking about how it's humorous what people who are not too familiar with MMA call the positions. I actually have heard some trainers refer to north-south as "69" though. I can only imagine the kind of talk that goes on in those gyms, haha.

I quit 10 games online real quick before they awarded me the loss and I unlocked Punkass.

I read that on another forum about using your palm to do submissions and damn my palms got sore spots now. A little lotion in the palm and some semen may be in order to heel it up. lol

[quote name='Matt Young']He's one of the Tapout guys. How'd you do it?[/QUOTE]

I unlocked Tapout as one of my promoters in Career mode.

Just played my first Ranked match. It was freaking retarded. The guy was Rampage and just did uppercuts and my Silva was just frozen. He just did that continuously until I went to grey and fell down. What B.S.

[quote name='joe2187']I unlocked Tapout as one of my promoters in Career mode.[/QUOTE]

Just unlocked Mask by getting 3 submissions in a row in Career mode.

[quote name='homeland']Just played my first Ranked match. It was freaking retarded. The guy was Rampage and just did uppercuts and my Silva was just frozen. He just did that continuously until I went to grey and fell down. What B.S.[/QUOTE]

That's why If I play ranked, I play with my CAF instead of the regular guys. Cause all they will do is pick Brock Lesnar or somebody like that and throw punches non stop.

[quote name='homeland']Just played my first Ranked match. It was freaking retarded. The guy was Rampage and just did uppercuts and my Silva was just frozen. He just did that continuously until I went to grey and fell down. What B.S.[/QUOTE]

Flick right stick down when that happens. Thanks to lag it sometimes takes a few to work. Same thing happened when I played a guy as Rampage, but I did that, took him to the ground then almost got an armbar...

Before he disconnected. I really hate that there is no penalty for disconnecting.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Flick right stick down when that happens. Thanks to lag it sometimes takes a few to work. Same thing happened when I played a guy as Rampage, but I did that, took him to the ground then almost got an armbar...

Before he disconnected. I really hate that there is no penalty for disconnecting.[/QUOTE]

Well, the game does track DNFs...but like most everything else in the online menu, it's hard to find them. When checking the "friends leaderboard", I saw that I've had 2 DNFs and Vulcan has had 5, haha. I guess sometimes when the connection drops out, somebody actually is to blame.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, the game does track DNFs...but like most everything else in the online menu, it's hard to find them. When checking the "friends leaderboard", I saw that I've had 2 DNFs and Vulcan has had 5, haha. I guess sometimes when the connection drops out, somebody actually is to blame.[/QUOTE]

Well that's the gayness right there. Sad thing is, I take my losses like a man whether it be submission or KO or TKO. That's odd though we had have DNF's and we never quit a match.

bread's done
Back