Updated: Nintendo makes official announcement. Super Mario 3D World, DKC:TF, Pikmin 3 will be 19.99 March 11th

wiiups4

CAGiversary!
*We really need a "News" section too lol

I made this to let you know that Nintendo just announced "Nintendo Selects" are coming for these games, on March 11th, making them 19.99 each everywhere.

*Updated link http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects

So if you were interested in these games, hold off for 3 more weeks.
Some wii and 3ds titles too, check link for those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe how long it has taken for nintendo to reprint pikmin 3, such a great game shouldn't have been out of print for so long.

Don't have a Walmart near me so no store around me even carry Super Mario Galaxy 2 new anymore. So happy they're printing up new copies of these.

Hope the $19.99 price applies to Wii U games too.

This remind me of the fantastic days when they dropped the price of games when the GameCube was on its last legs. I went on a buying spree getting everything that dropped in price. Except for Mario 3D World, I don't own any of the other games.

Tropical Freeze trades in for about 26 with gcu this week. 15.99 with gcu when price changes. You can trade it in for credit and have 8 or 9 bucks left after you rebuy

Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Animal Crissing New Leaf among others have the reduced price of $29.99. I think the $19.99 price in the op is wrong but we will see.
Reduced price on a normal copy isn't a Nintendo Select copy.. I don't understand your reasoning

I think I have nearly all of those games (except the Mario Party 3DS game).  

I do need Kirby Return to Dreamland.  Hope they get around to reprinting that.

If they drop to 19.99 I'll pick up all the WIi U games and Zelda OoT.  GCU is just icing on the cake.

Couple of things noted after reading through the thread...

1) The price given was in CAD, so USD could be lower, but I'm guessing they will tier this out as others have suggested.  When NOA did a reprint sale (not an official Nintendo Selects brand) of DKCR and SSBB, they were MSRP at $29.99, not $19.99.

I figure games like SM3DW and Pikmin 3 would be $29.99, and the others at $19.99, but I would be happily proven wrong.  It would make sense for at least some of the games being $19.99, case in point NES Remix Pack already $29.99 MSRP as already brought up.

2)  For Nintendo Selects reprints, the manuals (those that had actual manuals printed in the first run) should be the same, and the discs should also have the same artwork as well.  IIRC, the Gamecube Player's Choice discs were exactly the same, and most all of the Wii versions were as well.

The only caveat I can think of is sometimes Nintendo will have slightly different disc artwork color schemes (such as the Wii Sports seen here, all white text + colored seal and ESRB vs. transparent text), but there will not be a "Nintendo Selects" marking.  I'm not counting reprints from other companies, such as Atlus and the Dokapon Kingdom Wii reprints that had transparent / monochromatic vs. full color disc arts.

3) For those waiting on Wii games like KRtDL, MPT, etc. to be reprinted, they already have them available on the Wii U eShop for $19.99, not much of a chance to have these reprinted in physical form.

Im hoping for that $19.99 price point as well, but its not looking too good. Destructoid put up an article not too long ago with the $29.99 price point.

http://www.destructoid.com/north-america-is-finally-getting-nintendo-selects-on-wii-u-and-3ds-341573.phtml
This Desctructoid article is just the same info from the vg247 article in the OP which all lead back to the original post by Canadian retailer Video Games Plus on Twitter and really doesn't provide any clarification either way.

Logic says that they will be $19.99, or tiered $19.99 and $29.99 (the latter being my guess), but don't put it past Nintendo to defy logic and make them all $29.99 (as Rollobobo said).

I own all those games already, I hope Nintendo doesn't change the disc artwork with Nintendo select. I'll dump my copies disc only to gamestop and replace them with these.
if it similar to other reprints from past in regards to the wii ones. The 1st print copies are usually monotone two color usually white and blue designs while reprints are usually full blown multicolor discs.

but since nintendo is always unpredictable who knows if they will follow the same pattern with these reprints.

So what if they end up all being $29.99? All that means is waiting for an inevitable $19.99 sale by/on Black Friday. It's not like anybody here was planning on actually playing them before then.

I'm in for Tropical Freeze, 3D World, and maybe NES Remix at $16 each after GCU, but I can wait for the price point if they don't release that way.

3) For those waiting on Wii games like KRtDL, MPT, etc. to be reprinted, they already have them available on the Wii U eShop for $19.99, not much of a chance to have these reprinted in physical form.
I suppose that makes sense. I am always pro-physical disc though. I'll just have to hope I come across it someday (cheap) used.

Couple of things noted after reading through the thread...

1) The price given was in CAD, so USD could be lower, but I'm guessing they will tier this out as others have suggested. When NOA did a reprint sale (not an official Nintendo Selects brand) of DKCR and SSBB, they were MSRP at $29.99, not $19.99.

I figure games like SM3DW and Pikmin 3 would be $29.99, and the others at $19.99, but I would be happily proven wrong. It would make sense for at least some of the games being $19.99, case in point NES Remix Pack already $29.99 MSRP as already brought up.

2) For Nintendo Selects reprints, the manuals (those that had actual manuals printed in the first run) should be the same, and the discs should also have the same artwork as well. IIRC, the Gamecube Player's Choice discs were exactly the same, and most all of the Wii versions were as well.

The only caveat I can think of is sometimes Nintendo will have slightly different disc artwork color schemes (such as the Wii Sports seen here, all white text + colored seal and ESRB vs. transparent text), but there will not be a "Nintendo Selects" marking. I'm not counting reprints from other companies, such as Atlus and the Dokapon Kingdom Wii reprints that had transparent / monochromatic vs. full color disc arts.

Yeah, I know Super Mario Galaxy was one of the ones that had the disk changed slightly in the Nintendo Selects version

I feel like a lot of people are going to end up disappointed when most of the games aren't 19.99.  The Wii games, I could see being $20.  Maybe a couple of the 3DS ones.  But not the Wii U games or Zelda Ocarina, at a minimum.

Exchange rate is $.72 US to $1 CDN.  Or $21.60 US to $30 CDN.  That's a case for the $20 US pricepoint given the $30 CDN pricepoint in the ad.  

Still $20 US seems low for a few of the titles especially SMW3d and Pikmin 3.  Possible $30 CDN was the "as low as" pricepoint.  

"As low as" is a key term that should be there. At least it'll still disappoint the scalpers regardless.

I wouldn't be surprised if the games are $21.99 or $25. I thought it was weird that Gamestop is arbitrarily selling Codename Steam for $22 new.

wii nintendo select manuals were different, but since most of these games didnt have manuas it doesnt really matter
Which games? I've looked at a few in my collection and ones on eBay, and the only thing I saw that were different were some of the inserts (like other game suggestions being more current at time of the re-release). Maybe the changes were minor and I didn't notice them, but I was under the impression the main change was the cover art.

Traded Pikmin last summer for $65ish to GS during the great 50% extra on top of increased values for select titles weekend. Traded so many games I got an Xbox One no money out of pocket and Rare Replay, store credit!

Now I can rebuy it, $16 or $24 with GCU. Will buy DKC TF too never got too far in it. Hopefully Captain Toad and others hit $20-$30

Pikmin 3 is probably the only WiiU game I dont have and is actually good (or atleast not hated on), but I hate Nintendo Select/Player's Choice/Great Hits boxarts.

That's a deal breaker for me cause I'm an idiot.

I grabbed Pikmin 3 back when it was part of the Mario Kart 8 promotion and still haven't played it. I'd probably give it to one of you guys if I could, seeing as I likely won't get around to playing it for another ten years. Heck, I have Pikmin 1 on Gamecube and haven't played it, either.

Looking closer at some of these titles, it would be a little surprising to see them priced at $19.99, seeing what they're going for right now; Nintendo isn't really known for being generous and cutting prices on their games like this, at least not in recent times.

Thanks for the heads up!
As long as these don't have different discs than the originals, I will be fine. I clearly remember the original line of Selects games not having any special wording on the disc to differentiate from different runs. This means that the two immaculate and complete Pikmin 3 cases I have will finally be reunited with their discs! :)

Which games? I've looked at a few in my collection and ones on eBay, and the only thing I saw that were different were some of the inserts (like other game suggestions being more current at time of the re-release). Maybe the changes were minor and I didn't notice them, but I was under the impression the main change was the cover art.
the twilight princess manual had only the English language I believe either way it has much less pages than the white label manual

I have every Nintendo Selects Wii game currently released and it's white label counterpart and alot of them do have smaller manuals with their Nintendo Selects releases. The first two I looked at Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy have the smaller manuals.

I have every Nintendo Selects Wii game currently released and it's white label counterpart and alot of them do have smaller manuals with their Nintendo Selects releases. The first two I looked at Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy have the smaller manuals.
Give me an example of something cut out of a Nintendo Select manual that is present in a white label counterpart. Or are you talking about font size reduced in order to use less pages?

Give me an example of something cut out of a Nintendo Select manual that is present in a white label counterpart. Or are you talking about font size reduced in order to use less pages?
In the Super Mario Galaxy example the white label manual has 66 pages and the Nintendo Selects version has 42. There is a prologue page in the white label manual that is not in the Selects version. There are more pictures in the white label version that are not in the Selects version. They did also reduce font size to use less pages but in doing so to make it fit removed artwork that was in the white label version.

Edit: And I was wrong the discs are different. The white label has see through art on the disc while the Nintendo Selects disc is full color.

I feel like a lot of people are going to end up disappointed when most of the games aren't 19.99. The Wii games, I could see being $20. Maybe a couple of the 3DS ones. But not the Wii U games or Zelda Ocarina, at a minimum.
Yep. Nintendo Selects have traditionally been $29.99 since the GameCube era. I can't see that changing now (except for the older Wii games) especially when Nintendo knows games like Pikmin 3 are in high demand, and people will easily swallow the extra $10 for a chance to own it.

Yep. Nintendo Selects have traditionally been $29.99 since the GameCube era. I can't see that changing now (except for the older Wii games) especially when Nintendo knows games like Pikmin 3 are in high demand, and people will easily swallow the extra $10 for a chance to own it.
I agree with your logic, but I'm confused as to why NES Remix would be on the list. It already retails for $30, so why change the artwork just for a reprint?

I'll pick up Ocarina & 3D World at either the $20 or $30 price point from BBY.

To add the discussion, it's either tiered or they're all $20. Also, is it possible the selection for USA will be different than CAN? Something I thought of that I haven't seen mentioned here.

It already retails for $30, so why change the artwork just for a reprint?
Although I really believe it will be $20, reprinting and changing the artwork while maintaining the $30 price wouldn't be completely out of the realm of reasoning. They get to remarket it, and there could be some perceived acclaim for the game since it received a gold ribbon as a "Nintendo Select". A casual buyer will think they are getting something that so many other people already have enjoyed; it's a safe bet for them.

Also, is it possible the selection for USA will be different than CAN? Something I thought of that I haven't seen mentioned here.
Not to sound like a broken record, but I think anything is possible with Nintendo. However I'd find it doubtful this would happen.

In the Super Mario Galaxy example the white label manual has 66 pages and the Nintendo Selects version has 42. There is a prologue page in the white label manual that is not in the Selects version. There are more pictures in the white label version that are not in the Selects version. They did also reduce font size to use less pages but in doing so to make it fit removed artwork that was in the white label version.

Edit: And I was wrong the discs are different. The white label has see through art on the disc while the Nintendo Selects disc is full color.
Thanks for the specifics, so other than some minor changes to the manual and losing a language here and there, the manuals look about the same. And the disc art is nearly identical, the only difference is the selects versions they fill in some parts of the artwork with actual color than leaving them transparent. In either case you aren't stuck with an ugly red banner or whatnot on the disc, which is the main reason for the discussion.

That's not to say that the Wii U games (which have yet to have the Selects treatment) won't change things up and put some ugly selects marking on there, but historically its been pretty much the same.

Traded Pikmin last summer for $65ish to GS during the great 50% extra on top of increased values for select titles weekend. Traded so many games I got an Xbox One no money out of pocket and Rare Replay, store credit!

Now I can rebuy it, $16 or $24 with GCU. Will buy DKC TF too never got too far in it. Hopefully Captain Toad and others hit $20-$30
I have this gut feeling eventually captain toad will be out of print

If it's anything like MM, it would run a bit smoother/faster and you'd be able to control the camera with the c stick.
Majora's Mask is made with the New 3DS in mind, whereas Ocarina of Time was not, so not sure you can control the camera with the nub in it.

I need to acquire Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World before the Nintendo Select versions are released.  I'll buy the ugly Select versions later on sale and use those as play copies.

All games eventually go out of print... except for Chrono Cross. Square is still making that game.
No idea why more publishers don't do this, just press a new round of ancient cds every once in a while. God knows people would buy Naughty Dog reprints of Crash, new player's choice copies of Melee, ect. It's not even consistent with Squeenix, they reprint 9 in greatest hits but don't do the same for the perennially in-demand FFVII, which sells for nice dosh new even with GH branding. I know most of us here would cringe at the prospect of freefalling collection values, but the only real reason vidja tends to have such high resale value is publishers just let their old properties rot.

bread's done
Back