Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

I guess it's a good demo...not $60 good though. I might be a bit disgruntled though, after losing my first 2 characters on my first 2 actions. o_O

Looks awesome, though. Don't understand anything that's going on, though.

i wish i knew about that event in sf...

take a minute or two to read up on the tutorial and explanation of the soldiers, and you'll be takin enemies down in no time. I had a couple deaths in the first round my first time too, but it's the other way around now.

@KingBroly, you took your scouts out and they got gunned down, huh? The scouts aren't really all that useful in this mission, aside from quickly running to the flag once a path has been cleared. They apparently come much more in handy when there is a "fog of war" or enemies are hiding, so you can run out there, find a baddy, run away and then send in your shocktroopers.

I'm really glad the free demo is out on the US servers now. I have high hopes for this game!

I convinced an old roommate and good friend of mine to pre-order this game just by throwing a few screenshots and a trailer his way.
I was somewhat concerned that he might end up not liiking it, but he just informed me that the demo was "everything [he] wanted."
I'm really impressed by how many people this demo is convincing. I just hope Sega can capitalize on the word of mouth to back it up with actual advertising.

Even if Sega does advertise this well, I sadly don't see it selling well. With all the other stuff coming out next month this game is destined to be overlooked.

Sad, but I'll be sure to grab it when it's released just because.

[quote name='KingBroly']I guess it's a good demo...not $60 good though. I might be a bit disgruntled though, after losing my first 2 characters on my first 2 actions. o_O

Looks awesome, though. Don't understand anything that's going on, though.[/QUOTE]

0/2 on the first two movements, really? You can easily pick out a few units with the sniper alone.

(Watch out though, her accuracy drops big time after a few uses)

I really wish there was some sort of online play. I'd love a one on one versus type game. Since it's a single player game, there really isn't a reason to buy it for $60.

[quote name='depascal22']I really wish there was some sort of online play. I'd love a one on one versus type game. Since it's a single player game, there really isn't a reason to buy it for $60.[/quote]
How many recent single player games give you 40+ hours of gameplay?

This won't be a short 6-8 hour game.

Plus there will be DLC campaigns.

The demo was pretty good, although a bit on the easy side. This game somehow reminds me of what a next-gen console version of Advanced Wars could be like. Looking forward to this, but it's disheartening to know that this game may not get the notoriety it deserves and ultimately not sell well due to its release date.

[quote name='dallow']How many recent single player games give you 40+ hours of gameplay?

This won't be a short 6-8 hour game.

Plus there will be DLC campaigns.[/QUOTE]Exactly. This isn't a game that needs online. This is like saying ToV on 360 needs online or someone won't buy it. There are not many lengthy single player games this gen, but this is one of them.
[quote name='Ma12kez']The demo was pretty good, although a bit on the easy side. This game somehow reminds me of what a next-gen console version of Advanced Wars could be like. Looking forward to this, but it's disheartening to know that this game may not get the notoriety it deserves and ultimately not sell well due to its release date.[/QUOTE]If you look at some forums, this should be one of the better selling JRPGs based on demo and word of mouth.

Holy crap...this game is frekin awesome. On the advice of some this thread I downloaded the demo and I have to say that I will be pre-ordering it tomorrow when I pick up Fallout 3.

I remember looking at pictures and thinking this game would be pretty decent, but I really loved the demo and cant wait.

Early screenshots of the Japanese version intrigued me a while back, and I ended up really enjoying the demo when I played it the other day. It really seems like a nice evolution of standard strategy RPG's, which I had been growing a little tired of.

I also picked up the artbook today from Gamestop for pre-ordering it. It's a nice little pre-order bonus. I'll cancel my pre-order in a week or so and pick the game up on the week of November 9th or something when Circuit City has it for $44.99.

[quote name='Vendetta']Early screenshots of the Japanese version intrigued me a while back, and I ended up really enjoying the demo when I played it the other day. It really seems like a nice evolution of standard strategy RPG's, which I had been growing a little tired of.

I also picked up the artbook today from Gamestop for pre-ordering it. It's a nice little pre-order bonus. I'll cancel my pre-order in a week or so and pick the game up on the week of November 9th or something when Circuit City has it for $44.99.[/quote]Wait, what?

[quote name='Vendetta']I also picked up the artbook today from Gamestop for pre-ordering it. It's a nice little pre-order bonus. I'll cancel my pre-order in a week or so and pick the game up on the week of November 9th or something when Circuit City has it for $44.99.[/QUOTE]
Hardcover or softcover? How many pages?

I really like the game but I think it's a stretch to call it a RPG. It's definately a strategy game but it feels more like a Field Commander instead of a Disgaea.

Do the main characters level up as the story progresses? Also, do you get to revive the soldiers that die in between missions?

It's a softcover 32-page book. It isn't amazing or anything, but I think it was worth the effort to go there, pre-order the game, and go back a week or two later and get my $5 back.

I heard about the $44.99 sale from a NeoGAF post. I'm tempted to just get it from Amazon though - it's $56.99, comes with a $10 coupon code off a future video game purchase, and there's a $10 discount when you check out with BillMeLater. That'd bring the price down to $36.99 effectively, plus I won't have to drive to Circuit City and also pay tax.

I went and reserved it today, but they didn't have the artbook in yet (at least that is what they told me). Hopefully they'll get it in or else I'll just cancel the preorder and get it elsewhere.

Yeah.. I dont wanna reserve it and not get the artbook and waste time.. all 7 gamestops by me have a tendency to pilfer what they want and screw the customers needs -_-V

Oh well.. maybe someone will be kind enough to have an extra artbook and I can buy it off of them down the road :(

[quote name='The Mana Knight']1Up review is up. It got an A-
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171060&p=37[/QUOTE]

I love the review's opening.

[quote name='1Up']Like most of you, I wear my socks firmly ensconced within a pair of sneakers, which are themselves strapped tightly to my feet with strong, cordlike shoelaces. Imagine my disappointment in my footwear-securing preparations, then, when Valkyria Chronicles knocked those same socks clean off my feet. This is, without question, the best tactics game on the PS3 -- and it's one of the best games on PS3, period. [/quote]

Just got around to playing the demo today. I will pick this up at some point, if not immediately at release. But, as Cheapy pointed out on this week's cagcast (when talking about dead space), there's not really any rush to run out and buy a solo-only game. I've such a backlog that this game might have to wait a bit. But the demo really sold me on the game. Wow.

(much unlike mirror's edge, which convinced me that the whole idea for that game is a terrible one)

[quote name='mykevermin']Just got around to playing the demo today. I will pick this up at some point, if not immediately at release. But, as Cheapy pointed out on this week's cagcast (when talking about dead space), there's not really any rush to run out and buy a solo-only game. I've such a backlog that this game might have to wait a bit. But the demo really sold me on the game. Wow.

(much unlike mirror's edge, which convinced me that the whole idea for that game is a terrible one)[/QUOTE]Problem is if people wait too long, Sega might never make another VC for PS3 and this may be one of the last exclusive JRPGs we see on PS3 (since some publishers aren't too sure if they can sell on PS3. Publishers bring online shooters because they normally sell well). The situation is that VC (like just about most pretty good budgets in Japan) need to sell 500k to break even. it sold around 120k to 130k in Japan. The rest has to be made up in Europe and the U.S. I want the game so I'm definitely purchasing to support a great game.

I'm with myke on this one. You shouldn't be pressured into buying a game for $60 just so you can see the sequel.

I didn't buy the US versions of Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury Battle Archives, KOF XI, or Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and SNK still released the Orochi Saga and will release SamSho Anthology.

The video game market will not collapse because they're getting $30-$40 from us instead of $60. You'll still see a sequel for this game.

Let me be clear. I really liked the demo for this game but I don't feel that it has $60 of value. Call of Duty 4 was released at $60 and has much more value. I've put in about 50 hours on the multiplayer and I can still go play the single player when people flock to whatever the new hotness is next month. I got my $60 (or 1000 Goozex points) worth of value out of it. Yes, this game will be long but not $60 worth of gameplay. If this had one on one multiplayer, it would've been a day 1 purchase. Since it doesn't, it hits the to do list.

I know you like to support the great games by buying them at full price, TMK. I just don't think that major corporations need any more support than we already give them.

[quote name='depascal22']The video game market will not collapse because they're getting $30-$40 from us instead of $60. You'll still see a sequel for this game.[/quote]
I don't think there will be a sequel.
I just don't think that major corporations need any more support than we already give them.
It isn't really Sega that needs supporting here, it's the prospect of getting non-Sonic and non-Sonic and the Olympic Games games from Sega.

[quote name='pete5883']I don't think there will be a sequel.

It isn't really Sega that needs supporting here, it's the prospect of getting non-Sonic and non-Sonic and the Olympic Games games from Sega.[/QUOTE]If the U.S. and Europe don't make up 500k copies, there is no way Sega will make a sequel to this. They'll just continue pumping out Sonic games because they can easily sell over 500k of them even if they are mediocre (and that's the sad part). The canvas engine in general was quite an expensive investment. Now I'm not saying buy day one, but not too late.

I mean, there are many publishers who feel if a game doesn't sell a certain amount within a month, it already failed (because used copies start popping into GameStop, and when a decent percentage of people buy them over new, they don't get a cut in profit).

If this was a publisher like EA or Ubi Soft, you definitely don't have to buy right away because they tend to drop their games fast, and almost always continue to make sequels to games.

By far Valkyria Chronicles is my most wanted PS3 game currently (since I already got LBP), so I'm buying on release right now. But if people start to see Japanese developers avoiding PS3 for exclusive JRPGs, people only have themselves to blame for not supporting a great title (this isn't one getting tons of 7 review scores, it's rare to see a JRPG gets mostly 8's and 9's).

Despite the CC sale, I'm not too sure yet if I'll wait. GameStop already gives me a hard enough time canceling preorders, and I do want the artbook. I was thinking of maybe switching my preorder (since I have lots of GS credit), but then it's like I'd be preordering Naruto instead (which I will be able to get on sale for about the same price at another retailer sometime in November).

[quote name='depascal22']I didn't buy the US versions of Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury Battle Archives, KOF XI, or Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and SNK still released the Orochi Saga and will release SamSho Anthology. [/QUOTE]

4 of the 6 titles you listed are compilations of old games that are extremely cheap to produce. KoF XI and NGBc were a year or two old before they were released in the US. And all of those titles were budget releases. A new IP like Valkyria is a full-price release is a different situation. Sales will pretty important to gauge its success, and whether or not a sequel will be worth Sega's time.

they will just pump of more license games. I mean Iron Man for PS2 was a top selling game the month it came out.

[quote name='depascal22']I'm with myke on this one. You shouldn't be pressured into buying a game for $60 just so you can see the sequel.

I didn't buy the US versions of Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury Battle Archives, KOF XI, or Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and SNK still released the Orochi Saga and will release SamSho Anthology.

The video game market will not collapse because they're getting $30-$40 from us instead of $60. You'll still see a sequel for this game.

Let me be clear. I really liked the demo for this game but I don't feel that it has $60 of value. Call of Duty 4 was released at $60 and has much more value. I've put in about 50 hours on the multiplayer and I can still go play the single player when people flock to whatever the new hotness is next month. I got my $60 (or 1000 Goozex points) worth of value out of it. Yes, this game will be long but not $60 worth of gameplay. If this had one on one multiplayer, it would've been a day 1 purchase. Since it doesn't, it hits the to do list.

I know you like to support the great games by buying them at full price, TMK. I just don't think that major corporations need any more support than we already give them.[/QUOTE]

Actually SNK is going to stop publishing in the US. Ignition Entertainment is going to publish Metal Slug 7 and KoF 98 Dream Match.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If the U.S. and Europe don't make up 500k copies, there is no way Sega will make a sequel to this. They'll just continue pumping out Sonic games because they can easily sell over 500k of them even if they are mediocre (and that's the sad part). The canvas engine in general was quite an expensive investment. Now I'm not saying buy day one, but not too late.

I mean, there are many publishers who feel if a game doesn't sell a certain amount within a month, it already failed (because used copies start popping into GameStop, and when a decent percentage of people buy them over new, they don't get a cut in profit).

If this was a publisher like EA or Ubi Soft, you definitely don't have to buy right away because they tend to drop their games fast, and almost always continue to make sequels to games.

By far Valkyria Chronicles is my most wanted PS3 game currently (since I already got LBP), so I'm buying on release right now. But if people start to see Japanese developers avoiding PS3 for exclusive JRPGs, people only have themselves to blame for not supporting a great title (this isn't one getting tons of 7 review scores, it's rare to see a JRPG gets mostly 8's and 9's).

Despite the CC sale, I'm not too sure yet if I'll wait. GameStop already gives me a hard enough time canceling preorders, and I do want the artbook. I was thinking of maybe switching my preorder (since I have lots of GS credit), but then it's like I'd be preordering Naruto instead (which I will be able to get on sale for about the same price at another retailer sometime in November).[/QUOTE]

Oh well. That's the chance Sega's taken. They could have hastened or delayed the release. As it stands, I have very little to go around this holiday season for everyone else, let alone myself.

Moreover, Sega's a business and not a charity. It's not my fault that they're releasing an amazing title during a time where it's clearly going to be overshadowed by so many other titles. They knew that in advance.

I see what you're trying to say, but my point is that I don't care. I don't feel an obligation to buy a title at $60 just to keep a company afloat. Besides, it's Sega. They've been making foolish money-losing mistakes since the days of the Saturn, and haven't learned, evidently, since then. What's going to stop them now?

(depending on your feelings on the Sega CD/32X, their foolish ways may extend back virtually two decades).

[quote name='62t']they will just pump of more license games. I mean Iron Man for PS2 was a top selling game the month it came out.[/QUOTE]

The tragic thing about that is that the demo kind of felt like a super crappy version of Zone of the Enders.
If they just put a little more effort into it it could have been decent.

[quote name='SDC']The tragic thing about that is that the demo kind of felt like a super crappy version of Zone of the Enders.
If they just put a little more effort into it it could have been decent.[/quote]

Demos though normally dont give us the full aspect of a game..

Ive heard from tons of people the motorstorm pacific demo sucked but the actual game was hella different.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']GameStop already gives me a hard enough time canceling preorders, and I do want the artbook.[/QUOTE] Don't let a retailer push you around.

[quote name='pete5883']Don't let a retailer push you around.[/QUOTE]

I got banned from local GS for moving around too many preorders

[quote name='SDC']4 of the 6 titles you listed are compilations of old games that are extremely cheap to produce. KoF XI and NGBc were a year or two old before they were released in the US. And all of those titles were budget releases. A new IP like Valkyria is a full-price release is a different situation. Sales will pretty important to gauge its success, and whether or not a sequel will be worth Sega's time.[/quote]

Sales are important for every game. SNK's not going through any effort if it's not going to sell. Because it's a budget priced game, it will have lower expectations. They won't need to sell as much but that's not really the point.

Why does everyone seem determined to buy a game for full price just to support a developer? SEGA did bad research a released a single player strategy game right before the holidays. Why buy any product unless I need it or it was one of my most anticipated games of the year. I personally have scaled way back on my video game purchases so I can save a little more scratch this year. I've been happy to have a shrinking back log instead of a monstrous pile of games that needs two closets to contain.

bread's done
Back