Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='BigBen']I gave up going to the MD/UNC game to come to this :p I might be glued to the TV while we're at D&B.[/QUOTE]

You probably won't be the only one! Sorry you had to miss out going, but glad to see you'll make it.

MjC

Only 3 days away at this point! Everyone get your trade stash in order. I'll probably bring a few odds and ends.

Would anyone care to attempt any DS or PSP multiplayer? I know that this has been suggested in the past, but I'm not sure that it's ever come to fruition.

Lastly, I was able to get CheapyD to mention the meetup on this week's episode (#150) of the CagCast. If you'd like to hear it, it begins at approximately 28:45. All of the information was correct, except that the 21st is SATURDAY, SATURDAY, SATURDAY. (Listen to the clip for the reference) Thanks for the meetup shoutout anyway Cheapy!

MjC

Meetup seems pretty cool but I just saw this. I'd like to attend next time.

Is anyone into trading PC games? Well, at least the ones that can be installed more than once onto various machine :)

Hope everyone has fun at the meetup, I can't make it due to work.

On another local note...

SFIV CE Xbox360 there are 2 copies on Best Buy shelf in Germantown, MD as of 7:00PM Wednesday , February 18th. They have 1 more copy of SFIV X360 regular. No more copies of PS3. Gaithersburg BB has zero SFIV games.

CC at PG Plaza still has a decent selection of games, they are now 50% off. Some of the games I saw off hand today.

End War
Far Cry 2
Last Remnant
Oblivion GOTY
LotR Conquest
Guitar Hero World Tour

PS3
Fallout 3
GH:WT
End War
Far Cry 2

Front page love from The Head Cheapass! Thanks Cheapy!

I put you and your wife down as a maybe ramatut4001. Hope you'll be able to attend!

This is shaping up to be one of the bigger meets we've had. I'm sure it'll a big success!

MjC

This sounds absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, it is a high chance I cannot make it -- young son and workaholic mom means weekends are very special times for me. But I will keep an eye out for a free hour or two on Saturday!

Huh... Ya know, I may be a possibility for this. I'm in Germantown and will be visiting my girl in College Park from tonight till sometime tomorrow. That means that a well timed trip home would see me driving right by the shindig. Of course, that means I'd get home after the gym closes... hmm...

Well, if those stars align I'll try and spontaneously drop by. Sounds like fun. If I don't make it, someone down a few drafts for me!

Hmmmm..I think that I may go. I live in Frederick but I work in Bethesda and White Flint Mall is literally down the street from where I work. Funny that I did not know about this sooner...I think that I will attend; after Taijutsu class and the SF IV Tourney.

Looking forward to the meetup. Big thanks to MjC for arranging all of this. Cleaver and I are going to ride together, probably be up there a bit early to secure seating.

picture.php

what i came up with in 15 mins...

[quote name='carpwrist']
picture.php

what i came up with in 15 mins...[/QUOTE]

That's one scary ass looking CheapyD. Anyone who makes up a shirt of that and wears it to the meet tomorrow will get a prize from me.

Thanks for the effort carpwrist!

MjC

[quote name='abhinav']Argh looks like i wont be able to make this one, maybe next time guys =([/quote]

You will be missed. I haven't been to the last few meetups, was looking forward to seeing all of the "old timers" lol.

Hey all. Sorry I didn't make it today. I was at the girl's place till way past my expected leaving time. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread more in the future though, so I'll be ready for the next one. Hope everyone had a good time.

I think I passed by you guys today. I wandered into the D&B arcades thinking you guys would be where the noise was.

Just out of curiousity, what do you guys do if like 45 people show up? There doesn't seem to be enough room for that many up front.

:robot:

Good things happen in sports at these things. Last one I went to the Ravens drafted Flacco, today the Terps resuscitated their tourney hopes. Great turnout, doubling our previous record for females with 4. Thanks for all the goodies, particularly those involving Casey.

thebob and I saw a ton of Blu rays at the Wheaton CC, I got Nightmare Before XMas for $17.50, and thebob went all in with Jonas Bros.

[quote name='cleaver']Good things happen in sports at these things. Last one I went to the Ravens drafted Flacco, today the Terps resuscitated their tourney hopes. Great turnout, doubling our previous record for females with 4. Thanks for all the goodies, particularly those involving Casey.

thebob and I saw a ton of Blu rays at the Wheaton CC, I got Nightmare Before XMas for $17.50, and thebob went all in with Jonas Bros.[/quote]

Had to tell folks I bought the Jo Bros, lol. It was for my girls, yeah, my girls.

Fun times gents (and four ladies). Always nice to get together and talk games.

Go Terps!

I wanted to thank everyone who came out this past saturday. This was one of the better D&B meets overall I think. Lots of friendly people and plenty of great conversation.

Special thanks to G-Nitro for the pwned.com freebies, and a big personal thanks to jmiller80 for the Ninja Gaiden wall scroll. Thanks also to everyone who took my giveaways home with them. I hope they all have a new life with people who will appreciate them more than myself.

Sadly, no one wants to watch CDi videos on VHS.

Final thanks to toymachine12 for the trade. Your feedback is on it's way!

I have added Blackcoyote's photos to the Baltimore/Washington/Northern Virginia CAGs group. Check it out if you didn't see them on the Goozex forum!

I'll be very much looking forward to the next meetup!

MjC

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to "father of the thread" lurknomore for winning one of the $500 Amazon certificates from the Cheapy Awards! I'm sure it'll be put to good use. Hope to see you back in action this year buddy!

MjC

Hey fellow CAGs, I caught a glimpse at the Wolf Trap's summer schedule and saw that Video Games Live will be playing on July 10th. Perhaps this could be made into a DC Area CAG event? I saw it last year at the Kennedy Center, and I thought it was pretty good. Lawn seating would seem optimal, as they are the least expensive and we wouldn't have to worry about assigned seating.

I'll be down for that, it would be nice to see how many can confirm that they can attend. I'll keep an eye on the thread, and if enough bite, I'll pass it on through Goozex and Pwned.

[quote name='The Great BM']Hey fellow CAGs, I caught a glimpse at the Wolf Trap's summer schedule and saw that Video Games Live will be playing on July 10th. Perhaps this could be made into a DC Area CAG event? I saw it last year at the Kennedy Center, and I thought it was pretty good. Lawn seating would seem optimal, as they are the least expensive and we wouldn't have to worry about assigned seating.[/QUOTE]

The lawn should be far enough away to not violate the restraining order Tommy Tallarico has against me :)

Anyway, sounds good I am down for an event, since VGL won't be in Philly until October.

[quote name='The Great BM']Hey fellow CAGs, I caught a glimpse at the Wolf Trap's summer schedule and saw that Video Games Live will be playing on July 10th. Perhaps this could be made into a DC Area CAG event? I saw it last year at the Kennedy Center, and I thought it was pretty good. Lawn seating would seem optimal, as they are the least expensive and we wouldn't have to worry about assigned seating.[/QUOTE]

Wanted to go to the VGL show, but going alone to those things sucks. If this gets any more concrete in terms of people going, I am interested.

Distant Worlds: The Music of Final Fantasy is playing June 27th at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra at the Meyerhoff at 8 pm. For those willing to travel north, this option may be attractive.

[quote name='MerelyBroken']Distant Worlds: The Music of Final Fantasy is playing June 27th at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra at the Meyerhoff at 8 pm. For those willing to travel north, this option may be attractive.[/QUOTE]

Definitely very interesting.. I might try and see if I can convince my girlfriend to go, since I'm not sure I'd want to make the drive up from DC to see it alone. Convincing her to spend a Saturday night listening to Final Fantasy music is a dubious prospect, but maybe the promise of dinner in the inner harbor might work.

Does anyone know any stores that would sell N64 controllers in the DC metro area? All I need is one goddamn controller and I feel like ordering it online would be more expensive due to shipping.

I bought one of those $10 sims cards for 5 at best buy (only one left in the local best buy area), but the walmart next door (germantown) adamantly refused to price match (douche asst manager claims he's "tyte" with the managers at best buy and that it was a packaged deal). Long story short I only have one and would like to sell it to a local. PM if interested.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']Does anyone know any stores that would sell N64 controllers in the DC metro area? All I need is one goddamn controller and I feel like ordering it online would be more expensive due to shipping.[/QUOTE]

Power Gamer II in Glen Burnie would sell them.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']Does anyone know any stores that would sell N64 controllers in the DC metro area? All I need is one goddamn controller and I feel like ordering it online would be more expensive due to shipping.[/QUOTE]

estarland in Fairfax, VA would also be a good bet. They have them available online so I'd assume they'd have some on hand.

[quote name='dwhelan']The lawn should be far enough away to not violate the restraining order Tommy Tallarico has against me :)

Anyway, sounds good I am down for an event, since VGL won't be in Philly until October.[/QUOTE]

The one shown about 3 years ago at Wolf Trap was great. The one shown at the Kennedy Center with Tommy Tallarico was such a let down. I am not going to that one because Tommy's hosting it.

Since it's under a month out now, I think we should discuss the Video Games Live event a bit more. I believe I'm still available for the 10th of July. I'm guessing we'll all buy our own tickets, since there's no seats to worry about. Great BM, would you care to be the show runner for this event?

MjC

I'm gonna have to say no to VGL now, as I'll be settling on my first home at the end of this month and won't have the money to do much until I'm fully settled in to the house.

[quote name='MCalvert1']Since it's under a month out now, I think we should discuss the Video Games Live event a bit more. I believe I'm still available for the 10th of July. I'm guessing we'll all buy our own tickets, since there's no seats to worry about. Great BM, would you care to be the show runner for this event?

MjC[/QUOTE]

Sure thing.

For those of you still interested, the Filene Center at the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts out in Vienna, VA is hosting the Video Games Live concert series on Friday, July 10th. For anyone who is unfamiliar with it, it's a show hosted by Tommy Tallarico, where a full orchestra plays a variety of video game music, which is accompanied by a video related to the music behind the band.

Lawn tickets are $20 each. As MCalvert stated, they are the best option because they are the cheapest and are unassigned seats, so we don't have to buy tickets together. Parking is available at the Filene Center, as well as a $3 shuttle from and to the West Falls Church metro station.

The show starts at 8:30pm, but I would recommend meeting up beforehand, like at 7:30pm. If it's gonna be like the one that was at the Kennedy Center, they'll have some pre-show events for people to enjoy (i.e. Guitar Hero stands, Space Invaders on a giant projecter, etc). And of course, it never hurts to have spare time to get everyone together.

For tickets and more info, you can go to http://www.wolftrap.org/

I'll update this post with more details as needed...

Thanks for the info BM. As of now, I'll say I'm good to go. Being a friday night, I might have some difficulty getting there early. Even if traffic cooperates with me, I'm thinking 7:30 is the earliest I might hope for.

I will give an update if my schedule changes, but hopefully it will work out. Looking forward to it!

MjC

Haven't been to the thread since the last meetup. Can't make it to the VG show at Wolftrap, but it sounds like a good time. Maybe we could set up a BBQ or something for later in the summer. I will check with my wife to see if it could be held at my place.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Keep hearing commercials for the VGL thing, I would get a good laugh if they dedicated 15+ minutes of the concert to the battletoads pause music.

Not quite on the VA side of things, but any of you guys ever go to Gamer Junction over in the Rockville/Germantown area? It's a pretty good store in my opinion, the guy's got quite a bit of stuff there and more often than not it's really well priced... I saw eternal darkness for $10 if that gives you some good perspective. Of course I also saw a copy of Oblivion there(regular version) that was still $40+ so they sometimes drop the ball but it's not a frequent issue.

Bought my ticket, and printed it.

Any plan for meeting up at a set location? I haven't been to Wolf Trap in eons.

bread's done
Back