Wii U - Beginning of the end > Cheap game thread

It took me about 3 hours to jailbreak my wii u (most of that just copying files to SD card and waiting for stuff to install) and around 5 hours on 3DS (~3 hours of that waiting for sysnand to dump to SD card).  Totally worth it, I recently put on the fan mod of Tokyo Mirage Sessions that restored all the japanese content that got censored from the US release, plus a mod that added Overwatch characters to Super Smash.

Zero issues modding either system, its really simple and all you need is a PC with an SD card reader, an SD card (64-128gb is fine for either system), and for wii U I bought a 500gb USB3 drive and a Y-drive USB adapter to store all the games.

Was in a pawn shop today and saw they had Wii U's and since I don't have the money to drop on a refurb from Nintendo after grabbing the Switch I asked how much the layway plan was and it was $72 per month for three months with $36 down so I went ahead and did that along with a six month warranty.

As she was bringing it out in a bag she had me check it to make sure everything was there and noticed it had a pro controller, three wiimotes and I asked if it came with those and she was like "of course".

So, seems like a good deal to me since I can just pay it off and am getting some bonus accessories and a six month warranty. Also grabbed Super Mario Galaxy like new for $5 while I was in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
just got back from walmart. seems wii / wii u related accessories are all on clearance.

HWM6UeM.jpg

Need to pick up a copy of Yoshi Wooly World, I have (what I feel is) the best games on the platform already, just missing Yoshi.
Check out WM, the Pink Amiibo bundle is marked down to $20. Brickseek showed my WMs as being OOS but my local WM has 3 of them sitting there, along with Toad TT w/ amiibo.

The one game I need to get is Mario & Sonic Rio 2016. Game just flat out disappeared everywhere.

Check out WM, the Pink Amiibo bundle is marked down to $20. Brickseek showed my WMs as being OOS but my local WM has 3 of them sitting there, along with Toad TT w/ amiibo.

The one game I need to get is Mario & Sonic Rio 2016. Game just flat out disappeared everywhere.
This then you can sell the Yoshi Amiibo for like $16 on eBay if you don't care for them. Nearly paying for the game.

Eneloop rechargeable batteries are almost certainly a much better investment. They are excellent.
Still using the same ones from 2007 here... after I stopped using my Wii, I've used them in my digital camera, wireless mouse and a bunch of other stuff.

Omg I need one of those batteries/chargers due to the mountain of batteries I go through for wiimotes
Eneloop rechargeable batteries are almost certainly a much better investment. They are excellent.
Extra support from me on going with Eneloop AAs instead of dedicated Wii-mote charging packs. I went through two different sets of dedicated packs that both crapped out on me fairly quickly. Eneloops are reliable, can work in lots of other items, and it's easy to have extras charged and ready to go.

There's one for $25..... 35 miles away. I'd love to have one so I can use it play SNES games on my hacked NES Mini.

Maybe if I find myself out that way.
Just as a heads up, I have not seen confirmation one way or the other that this controller works with NESC. I can confirm that the wired (official Nintendo; unlicensed do NOT work) WiiU controllers do work flawlessly out of the box. Those run about $35 from what I've seen on eBay brand new. Also, again not positive but I believe you would need the 8bitdo Retro Receiver to use the pro, which will run you about $17 off amazon. The cheapest wireless alternative would of course be the 8bitdo NES30 for $40 and I can personally vouch for these working (however you do need to update the drivers and quickly configure the D-pad in RetroArch with the NESC controller in port 2), as I used it over the weekend to play Earthbound. I know wired may be a dealbreaker, but depending which way you wanna go and what works, the wired controller may be your best option for the money.

Just as a heads up, I have not seen confirmation one way or the other that this controller works with NESC. I can confirm that the wired (official Nintendo; unlicensed do NOT work) WiiU controllers do work flawlessly out of the box. Those run about $35 from what I've seen on eBay brand new. Also, again not positive but I believe you would need the 8bitdo Retro Receiver to use the pro, which will run you about $17 off amazon. The cheapest wireless alternative would of course be the 8bitdo NES30 for $40 and I can personally vouch for these working (however you do need to update the drivers and quickly configure the D-pad in RetroArch with the NESC controller in port 2), as I used it over the weekend to play Earthbound. I know wired may be a dealbreaker, but depending which way you wanna go and what works, the wired controller may be your best option for the money.
Yep. You're correct I looked into it the other night. I can however use a Wii Classic Controller or Wii Classic Pro Controller.

However I did just pick up a Wii U Wired GameCube Fight Pad on clearance at Walmart which has the same kind of connection. That should work but I've yet to test it.

My closest Walmart never has anything so I was surprised to see it had 2 $10 Kirbys on brickseek. I was there in less than 10 minutes and there were none to be found.

I'm in the same boat. Windwaker bored me after a while (the sailing took way too much time) and TP had a really slow start.
WW was a terrible game, let the truth be known. I finished it, but it was a chore, and one of the few Zelda games I just didn't like at all. It looked pretty, but after it's looks wore off, there wasn't much substance to it.

I need to grab a hi cap battery for my Wii U gamepad before they go OOS. I haven't broken into Xenoblade Chronicles X much and I have barely touched Tokyo Mirage Sessions but my gamepad lasts maybe 2 hours. I like my RPG sessions way longer than that.
Yeah, this is on my ASAP list, as I can see those selling out,, and never coming back.

It took me about 3 hours to jailbreak my wii u (most of that just copying files to SD card and waiting for stuff to install) and around 5 hours on 3DS (~3 hours of that waiting for sysnand to dump to SD card).
2-3 hours was about what I thought. I'm going to set my laptop up, so I can watch the YT video as I go, the SD card seemed to be the biggest issue of the process.

Does the 3DS still require a certain FW on the unit to fully get everything working? Or is there a work around no matter what number your on?

This is the brand I use, pretty good batteries.

I wonder if Family Video's going to dump its stock of games in the next few months.
I have been to one Family Video that had 95% of their Wii U games for $9.99 already. Pretty much everything except Minecraft Wii U and a couple other more recent releases.

A lot of times, I know stuff is possible, just not how easy it can sometimes be. The Mini is beyond easy, as it has a program that does everything for you.

Actually, while looking at NS reviews and previews last week, Youtube gave me a recommendation for the Wii U CFW, and that's when I started to look in to it. I haven't done it yet, but from what I can tell, you can 100% do whatever online, with no issues. I guess since the Wii U doesn't get a lot of updates anymore, it was easier to lock something in to place. Once I do that, I may look in to the 3DS, but whenever I looked in to that, it seemed like way more work than I was willing to do. LOL
Modding the Wii U is really easy it just takes a little bit of time.

I just need to grab a high capacity battery and I think I'll be done. Maybe Paper Mario if it drops in price.

I love my WiiU it's sad the fate it suffered.

So when should i start seeing mom's selling Wii U's on facebook yard sale sites for $50? =)
I will be looking for used Wii U's this summer as backup's, parts, for my launch Wii U. Since the portability factor is not something I will use on the switch I'm going to look for a broken screen one to possibly mod by removing the battery, screen & installing it into something else maybe even an NES top loader shell. I love the fact it uses game cards & that everything is modular which will make this fairly easy even for me.

Came back with Mario Tennis for $25 & Wii Party U for $15. There were at least four left waiting for a fellow CAGer to snatch them up...

[attachment=25768:IMG_3872.JPG]

i am not sure if this is permitted on this thread but i do have mario party, captain toad, and yoshi woolly world if anybody wants it altogether. the boxes are slightly creased/dented on captain toad and WW but it's not too noticeable. all are brand new. ill let it go for retail + shipping. only as a bundle. 

Was Terraria ever cheaper than $30? It's a game I'd really like to own, but I can't justify paying that much when I got it for like $2.50 on Steam

Came back with Mario Tennis for $25 & Wii Party U for $15. There were at least four left waiting for a fellow CAGer to snatch them up...

attachicon.gif
IMG_3872.JPG
Did you get from Walmart instore?

.. I can't find any $25 Wii U Pro Controller in my area Portland, Oregon :(. I wonder does instore still have it.

This thread made me notice that Amazon never shipped me my Zelda Wii U Pre-order (that was on order since 2015!) so I just ordered it again... WTF Amazon!

Is Mario Tennis any good?
Wii U game is somehow even worse than the 3DS game... that took talent to undermine the shit factor of the 3DS mario tennis game imho

It didn't help that I beat the 3ds game (almost having an aneurysm doing so). I swear that game gave me PTSD because I was immediately triggered when playing the Wii U game...

I went to Target on Friday and was able to snag BotW on Wii U (Since Amazon had since sold out.) and found a lone copy of the Special Edition for Switch just sitting there, so I picked that up too. The Wii U version popped up on Amazon again today and I grabbed that (Prime discount, plus $17 in credit, so I got it for hald off) 

Now torn on what to do with the Switch Special Edition version, since it was kind of an impulse purchase, and I don't think I'm getting a Switch until later this year....possibly AFTER the Scorpio. 

I remember passing on that wii u party bundle about 2 years ago when it was $15 on black friday, since the game seemed mediocre and didn't need any more controllers. Surprised they still have any. Eventually gave in and got game only direct from nintendo for $30, or maybe it was $20 back when I got it, but still available.

WW was a terrible game, let the truth be known. I finished it, but it was a chore, and one of the few Zelda games I just didn't like at all. It looked pretty, but after it's looks wore off, there wasn't much substance to it.

Yeah, this is on my ASAP list, as I can see those selling out,, and never coming back.

2-3 hours was about what I thought. I'm going to set my laptop up, so I can watch the YT video as I go, the SD card seemed to be the biggest issue of the process.

Does the 3DS still require a certain FW on the unit to fully get everything working? Or is there a work around no matter what number your on?

This is the brand I use, pretty good batteries.
"Let the truth be known" - really? Windwaker was not a terrible game by any means. GOTY when it came out in 2003. Even the HD remaster is highly regarded.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-hd

Good thread. I got the Walmart games last week. I hope Mario Maker comes down, it is the last game I really NEED for Wii U
yeah how will that work in the future though when the online downloadable levels are no longer supported I wonder? I have yet to buy this game and likely now will wait for the switch. Is there an actual game here and then you go online to find new content.. I will have to research this I guess.

OP happy this thread is here I have been doing this since late last fall and plan on grabbing what I can as it comes up.

Anyone want to comment on their experience with direct-from-Nintendo refurb systems? I have seen this deal and want a Wii U. Wondering about the process [mostly defect units that they fixed up?] and if it's worth it.

Probably the best thing for me or wait it out? Not so worried about pack-in-games, just the system. (although I could resell any games or play it for a min then resell)
We have been overly pleased with ours for two years.

"Let the truth be known" - really? Windwaker was not a terrible game by any means. GOTY when it came out in 2003. Even the HD remaster is highly regarded.
Wind Waker was a great experience. It's probably my favorite Zelda game of them all. I don't understand the people that hated it so much. It's not like you had to slow travel the whole game or find everything to finish it. The dungeons were really well done and the exploration in the game was such a treat. I bought the WiiU version just because I love (and still own) the GC version and wanted to give it a play through in HD. For anyone that loves exploration, even taking some time to chill... it's great. The islands are all very memorable as are the characters.

I'm really glad this thread was made, posted this over in the Walmart clearance one but would be remiss if I didn't here too. Found these at 3 stores along with some Wiimotes and pro controllers:

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge $5
Wonderful 101 $15
Bayonetta 2 $15
Xenoblade Chronicles X $15
Mario & Sonic at the Rio Games $30
Tokyo Mirage Sessions $30

http://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-hd
My opinion of course, but WW was the first game I remember from "N" where quality begin to dip(and many games have been dipping ever since). As I said, it looked amazing, but was a very short game extended by sailing the deep blue sea, over, and over again.

To me it was a weak title, that if you took the graphics away, you are left with a rather short and boring Zelda experience. If people loved it, great, I wasn't one of them.

I'm really glad this thread was made, posted this over in the Walmart clearance one but would be remiss if I didn't here too. Found these at 3 stores along with some Wiimotes and pro controllers:

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge $5
Wonderful 101 $15
Bayonetta 2 $15
Xenoblade Chronicles X $15
Mario & Sonic at the Rio Games $30
Tokyo Mirage Sessions $30
Thanks for that. Used Brickseek and the only one my store has is Wonderful 101 for $15 so I think I may go pick that up.

Thanks for this thread first of all.
Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but my WM has at least one of the 3rd party GameCube controllers they made for Smash to use on the Wii U on clearance for $12 (from $25). Just something else to keep an eye on for those interested. Will try to get a UPC next time I'm in.

Thanks for this thread first of all.
Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but my WM has at least one of the 3rd party GameCube controllers they made for Smash to use on the Wii U on clearance for $12 (from $25). Just something else to keep an eye on for those interested. Will try to get a UPC next time I'm in.
Mine as well. Picked up one of them today.
They can also be used on Wii and any Wii U games that have pro controller compatibility so for $12 they're a good buy.

My store had at least 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back