XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Hydro Thunder Hurricane worth the 600 points?!? I am so over the "Midway" games of old, but I remember hearing decent things about this. Any CAG opinions on it?

The COD DLC packs are no longer showing 50% for me. I have deleted them in the OP.
If this is not only showing for me, please approve my edit, thanks
Regards

[quote name='irafreak']I never played the first one but I can't play this game. I bought it. Then regretted it. It's super frustrating at times and I can't play more than one stage at a time (with lots of deaths) before I have to shut it off. It's quirky and fun early but I'm not much of a platformer these days.

So avoid if you don't like frustrating platformers cause the demo doesn't show you how fast the difficulty increases.[/QUOTE]

I played Splosion Man all the way through, but it seems like Ms. SM has a lot more cheap electric deaths than the first. Really put me off from playing it in awhile. Some of the jumps require absolute perfection.

[quote name='captpluto9465']I played Splosion Man all the way through, but it seems like Ms. SM has a lot more cheap electric deaths than the first. Really put me off from playing it in awhile. Some of the jumps require absolute perfection.[/QUOTE]
Yeah this just isn't my cup of tea. Kinda wish people would stop saying a game NEEDS to be in everyone's collection.

As far as Toy soldiers...what makes it special? That you can control the shooting? I mean I couldn't even bring myself to spend 600 on plants vs zombies and I had much more fun with that demo...

[quote name='Rollobobo']Is Hydro Thunder Hurricane worth the 600 points?!? I am so over the "Midway" games of old, but I remember hearing decent things about this. Any CAG opinions on it?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's really fun and the production values are super high. If you like stuff like F-Zero and Wave Race, I'd say it is a no-brainer. I definitely got my $20 worth from the game + DLC.

Trust me guys, Hydrophobia is not even worth 200 MSP. Ancient by todays standards. Picked it up when it was 240 pts in the Black Friday sale last year, it's absolutely terrible. It felt like I'd stepped back in time 10 years (for the worse)

[quote name='irafreak']You'll be disappointed next week as the sale is this week. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ooh thanks for pointing that out! must've read wrong... so many random sales every where in this thread lol.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Is Hydro Thunder Hurricane worth the 600 points?!? I am so over the "Midway" games of old, but I remember hearing decent things about this. Any CAG opinions on it?[/QUOTE]

I have Hydro Thunder and it's a fun racer, especially split screen.

So many of the XBLA racing games lack split screen for some reason. Hydro Thunder is one of the few that includes it.

[quote name='RealDeals']Trust me guys, Hydrophobia is not even worth 200 MSP. Ancient by todays standards. Picked it up when it was 240 pts in the Black Friday sale last year, it's absolutely terrible. It felt like I'd stepped back in time 10 years (for the worse)[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Sure the company sank and the game wasn't completed (as per sequels and such). However, for 200 MSP you're going to really complain? People spend 200 MSP or more on avatar items, gamerpics and such. Why wouldn't you give the game a try and see if you'll actually like it? At first I didn't like it, then the updates helped and I enjoyed it more. It's an okay game for the price. Achievements, avatar items, a semi-decent experience. If anything, use Bing and you can use the 200 MSP earned on there towards the game and it's about as Free as can be.

[quote name='irafreak']As far as Toy soldiers...what makes it special? That you can control the shooting? I mean I couldn't even bring myself to spend 600 on plants vs zombies and I had much more fun with that demo...[/QUOTE]

For me, Toy Soldiers is all about the presentation. It has a great 1970s - 1980s aesthetic and a lot of humor in the design.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The 'Splosion Man games weren't too hard for me when I played through them. They were just a good challenge with a couple of difficult stages each.[/QUOTE]

the game is harder in co-op mode. in fact, the more people, the harder the game.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I disagree. Sure the company sank and the game wasn't completed (as per sequels and such). However, for 200 MSP you're going to really complain? People spend 200 MSP or more on avatar items, gamerpics and such. Why wouldn't you give the game a try and see if you'll actually like it? At first I didn't like it, then the updates helped and I enjoyed it more. It's an okay game for the price. Achievements, avatar items, a semi-decent experience. If anything, use Bing and you can use the 200 MSP earned on there towards the game and it's about as Free as can be.[/QUOTE]

For 200 msp people could buy a complete game or put it towards a better game that they're waiting to drop a bit more. I finished the game and didn't come away feeling like it was worth my time. That was the most recent version. "an okay game for the price," and, "a semi-decent experience," aren't compelling reasons to buy something. For $2.50 and 3-4 hours of time I recommend people look elsewhere.

[quote name='dirtyvu']the game is harder in co-op mode. in fact, the more people, the harder the game.[/QUOTE]
Co-op has completely different levels than the single-player, so it's made for more people to play together cooperatively.

I paid 400 for it a long time ago, and am pretty happy with it. My only gripe is that everything is locked behind credits earned in game. I'm not great at the game and don't enjoy a lot of the side challenges (like the ring challenge) so unlocking a lot of things takes some grinding (even the DLC for the game is still locked behind these in-game credits)

[quote name='irafreak']Yeah this just isn't my cup of tea. Kinda wish people would stop saying a game NEEDS to be in everyone's collection.

As far as Toy soldiers...what makes it special? That you can control the shooting? I mean I couldn't even bring myself to spend 600 on plants vs zombies and I had much more fun with that demo...[/QUOTE]

If you don't think either Toy Soldiers game or Plants vs. Zombies is worth $7.50, than the genre is not for you.

Naughty Bear is a pile of decent ideas, a score attack stealth serial killer sim that just does all of these things poorly. It feels like Bulletstorm where you just run through each level clocking a variety kill in each type just checking boxes, only less fun or visceral than Bulletstorm.

[quote name='xbox_man']is naughty bear worth 1200 msp?[/QUOTE]

You're probably better off saving those 1200 msp for the fall when the sequel comes out on XBLA. They may have fixed the things that people didn't like about it.

[quote name='louiedog']For 200 msp people could buy a complete game or put it towards a better game that they're waiting to drop a bit more. I finished the game and didn't come away feeling like it was worth my time. That was the most recent version. "an okay game for the price," and, "a semi-decent experience," aren't compelling reasons to buy something. For $2.50 and 3-4 hours of time I recommend people look elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, yes. I wanted to like Hydrophobia because of the water disaster angle (I thought it might be like The Poseidon Adventure!), but it's just a clumsy and poorly-made game in every way a game can be. It's not worth the time it takes to play, and there are too many good third-person action games this gen to worry about this one.

Not to take shots at anyone (yes, I know what cag stands for), but I just find it amusing how people will pass on buying quality games at 800-1200 points, putting off titles they're actually interested in playing for months to save a few dollars, but when crap like hydrophobia hits 400 or less everyone is like INSTA-BUY! Then people wonder why their backlogs continue to grow...

[quote name='crookshow']Not to take shots at anyone (yes, I know what cag stands for), but I just find it amusing how people will pass on buying quality games at 800-1200 points, putting off titles they're actually interested in playing for months to save a few dollars, but when crap like hydrophobia hits 400 or less everyone is like INSTA-BUY! Then people wonder why their backlogs continue to grow...[/QUOTE]

Agreed in large part. Hydrophobia might not be a terrible game, but it is a waste of your time. Almost every other game i've played for XBOX has been better.

There is a fine line between being a cheap ass gamer and a hoarder on a small budget. I see way too many people here talk about massive backlogs. They're doing it wrong.

Is there any way to get the Scratch and Match deals without going through the xbox dashboard? My AV cables decided to crap out on me a couple days ago, and I'd really like to get in on the deal for Ms. Splosion Man.

Any thoughts?

-B

[quote name='cthomer5000']Agreed in large part. Hydrophobia might not be a terrible game, but it is a waste of your time. Almost every other game i've played for XBOX has been better.

There is a fine line between being a cheap ass gamer and a hoarder on a small budget. I see way too many people here talk about massive backlogs. They're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]
This is true. After going crazy on the sonic sale a while back when you got the games for like 160 points or something, I decided to stop buying stuff I wouldn't play. I don't like to spend 7.50 on an arcade game when most of the games I enjoy playing were 10-15 bucks for full sized 360 titles.

Right now I'm on a bing only budget so I don't want to throw out 600 points when next week's sale could have something I want for 400...

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Just noticed on the Sales & Specials Section of the dash has Civilization: Revolution for 50% off at $15. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I don't see it cheaper than $20 for a disk copy. I might pick this up.

Edit: Nevermind...seen it was mentioned a few pages back.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but you can still help everyone by editing the OP! BTW, the OP is now relatively up-to-date. :)

[quote name='Cornelius']Yeah, but you can still help everyone by editing the OP! BTW, the OP is now relatively up-to-date. :)[/QUOTE]

thanks for that, i never saw it posted. civilization is well worth the $15, and one of the most addicting strategy games i've ever played. been looking for a copy for months since i traded mine in a couple years ago. haven't seen a copy in my area in at least 6 months. i'll probably spring for the digital so i don't end up trading it in again, lol.

[quote name='cthomer5000']There is a fine line between being a cheap ass gamer and a hoarder on a small budget. I see way too many people here talk about massive backlogs. They're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

Part of me is inclined to disagree with you, though as life forces me to mature and do Grown Up Things, I find a lot less time to invest in all these games I've accrued. Though now that I'm finally shifting to a job that doesn't require me to work literally every day to get by, I am stoked about whittling down my untouched games :D (Also stoked about the prospect of having room to breathe and not wanting to murder everyone alive.)

Thinking of all the things I could have afforded with the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dollars I've sunk into my collection is pretty fucking depressing though.

How is Shivering Isles on sale for $15, after all this time I was expecting it to be a lot less. I'm kinda in the mood for more Fallout 3 so maybe I'll pick up Mothership Zeta for $5...

[quote name='cthomer5000']

There is a fine line between being a cheap ass gamer and a hoarder on a small budget. I see way too many people here talk about massive backlogs. They're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

You don't get to tell anyone else they're doing it wrong. They are doing what they want.

seriously people. you go to gamestop. you buy the preowned GOTY editions of oblivion and fallout 3. DL the dlc on the second disk. return both games. super simple profit.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']He can indeed tell them they are doing it wrong. This here is a message board and when you post something, people respond to it with their opinion.[/QUOTE]
+1 to you sir.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Co-op has completely different levels than the single-player, so it's made for more people to play together cooperatively.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. what I'm saying is that co-op mode is harder.

Not much for me in the next two weeks, but I did pick up Raskulls for 400 points and got promptly yelled at by my daughter for not letting her win. I can't win. #-o

[quote name='taylort3']seriously people. you go to gamestop. you buy the preowned GOTY editions of oblivion and fallout 3. DL the dlc on the second disk. return both games. super simple profit.[/QUOTE]

That does not work with oblivion unfortunately, if shivering isles was downloaded through the 2nd GOTY disk you need the 1st GOTY disk to play it

[quote name='dirtyvu']Oh, I know. what I'm saying is that co-op mode is harder.[/QUOTE]
Were people talking about co-op? I got the impression that people were just talking about single-player specifically.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']He can indeed tell them they are doing it wrong. This here is a message board and when you post something, people respond to it with their opinion.

[/QUOTE]

You're right, but it's always nicer for people to express their opinion without sounding dickish, which he didn't exactly succeed at doing. (And yes I know it's just a CAG meme and I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it anyway).

That being said, I've got to disagree with the original statement in the conversation anyway. I've got about 200 XBLA games and probably 50 or so are unplayed. I'll buy a game on sale (especially an XBLA game) if I think I'll play it later, because it's never for sure that it will hit that price again (see: the multiple mentions of Crystal Defenders in this thread).

A good example is Spelunky. If one can be patient on Spelunky, one can end up getting Hydrophobia (200msp), Ms. Splosion Man (400msp), and Spelunky (probable to hit 600) for 1200 in the long run. I've learned to develop this patience and have paid probably less than 50% of the total cost of my collection. That savings would be over $750.

I do agree that if there's a game out that you really can't wait for (i.e. hoping for a sale the week after it's released) then just sack up and buy it for full price and support the dev. But if we all did that with every game then there would be no point in this thread or this site.

Finally, I'll further disagree with everyone and say that in my opinion Hydrophobia is worth 200msp, I paid 400msp and don't regret the money or 3-4 hours I spent on it.

Wow, Fallout 3 add on content up for sale again. This has to be the 4th or 5th time these have been on sale. Oh well, thankfully that isnt all thats on sale. I picked up Raskulls, The Splatters and Section 8. Cant wait for tomorrow. Quantum Conundrum looks like a great game.

Looking ahead......is it me or is the average price of Xbox Live games going up. 1200 used to be pretty rare and now it seems like 1200 is becoming more and more the standard price.

I'm actually kind of tempted by Civ Rev. It is one of those games that I could see just occasionally booting up from the hard drive. Had the disc for a while, got it fairly cheap used, traded it in for a good price...

Probably going to pass.

[quote name='Righteous Nixon']Wow, Fallout 3 add on content up for sale again. This has to be the 4th or 5th time these have been on sale. Oh well, thankfully that isnt all thats on sale. I picked up Raskulls, The Splatters and Section 8. Cant wait for tomorrow. Quantum Conundrum looks like a great game.

Looking ahead......is it me or is the average price of Xbox Live games going up. 1200 used to be pretty rare and now it seems like 1200 is becoming more and more the standard price.[/QUOTE]

There was a brief time that some of us (me included) thought that it was slowly moving back towards 800. However that logic seems to have been demolished by Spelunky, SoA, and several other recent releases.

[quote name='Righteous Nixon']Wow, Fallout 3 add on content up for sale again. This has to be the 4th or 5th time these have been on sale. Oh well, thankfully that isnt all thats on sale. I picked up Raskulls, The Splatters and Section 8. Cant wait for tomorrow. Quantum Conundrum looks like a great game.

Looking ahead......is it me or is the average price of Xbox Live games going up. 1200 used to be pretty rare and now it seems like 1200 is becoming more and more the standard price.[/QUOTE]
It's been a common price point for a few years now.

[quote name='tylerh1701']
That being said, I've got to disagree with the original statement in the conversation anyway. I've got about 200 XBLA games and probably 50 or so are unplayed. I'll buy a game on sale (especially an XBLA game) if I think I'll play it later, because it's never for sure that it will hit that price again (see: the multiple mentions of Crystal Defenders in this thread).

A good example is Spelunky. If one can be patient on Spelunky, one can end up getting Hydrophobia (200msp), Ms. Splosion Man (400msp), and Spelunky (probable to hit 600) for 1200 in the long run. I've learned to develop this patience and have paid probably less than 50% of the total cost of my collection. That savings would be over $750..[/QUOTE]

There is no "savings" happening on unplayed games though. Think about game #50 on your backlog. The fiftieth game you would play if given infinite time. You are simply never going to play this game. Games are going to keep getting released, you are going to keep buying games, and that game will be pushed farther down the list.

Or maybe you get through a decent chunk of backlog... even if it's up to #25 out of 25... you're still never going to play it.

If you are buying games at a faster pace than you are playing them, you are ultimately wasting money, no matter how good a deal you think you got in the first place.

That's my take.

Roughly on topic to this thread.... I was surprised to see Spelunky release at 1200 points. It makes Phil Fish's complaints about having his game priced at 800 points totally valid to me. Fez would have easily been worth 1200. To then see a game that is a remake/upgrade of a free online debut at 1200 would irk me further if i were him.

Also, seeing Fez's modestly good sales (good, not mindblowing)... i feel pretty confident that most people who bought it at 800 would have paid 1200 for it. I was assuming it was going to be 1200 and was ready to buy day one... i was (pleasantly) surprised when the price of 800 was announced.

[quote name='cthomer5000']Roughly on topic to this thread.... I was surprised to see Spelunky release at 1200 points. It makes Phil Fish's complaints about having his game priced at 800 points totally valid to me. Fez would have easily been worth 1200. To then see a game that is a remake/upgrade of a free online debut at 1200 would irk me further if i were him.[/QUOTE]

The XBLA and PC versions of Spelunky are like night and day though. I tried the PC version first and it didn't hold my interest for more than a few minutes. A couple days later I decided to check out the XBLA demo and was instantly hooked. It's not just a graphical update of the free game. The gameplay has been significantly refined and there is tons of new content. It's the most satisfying XBLA game I've played since Super Meat Boy and was well worth the points IMO.

Fez on the other hand...I bought it day one and really wanted to like it, but after playing it for an hour I just didn't see what was so special about it. I will go back and give it another look at some point though.

Different strokes I suppose...

Civ Rev for 1200 Points isn't a bad price. First, it's just a wonderful and time-consuming game. Second, the disc version rarely drops below $16 (the price I paid for it), so at least for a day it's not more expensive to go digital.

[quote name='cthomer5000']There is no "savings" happening on unplayed games though. Think about game #50 on your backlog. The fiftieth game you would play if given infinite time. You are simply never going to play this game. Games are going to keep getting released, you are going to keep buying games, and that game will be pushed farther down the list.

Or maybe you get through a decent chunk of backlog... even if it's up to #25 out of 25... you're still never going to play it.

If you are buying games at a faster pace than you are playing them, you are ultimately wasting money, no matter how good a deal you think you got in the first place.

That's my take.[/QUOTE]

Well-said. I don't think you'll be able to convince a lot of people here though. They develop spending habits and are unlikely to break them based on others' advice unless they feel like there's a problem beforehand.

Then again, you never know what kind of game you'll be in the mood for! Some days, I might feel like a fighter, other days a puzzle game. Having a big backlog provides you with lots more entertainment options, sort of like paying for a bunch of cable channels even though you usually stick to a select few. So if you can truly afford to buy more games than you'll ever play, maybe that's not so bad.

I love Civ Rev. Whenever I have a lot of extra time, I like to boot it up and play. I would buy it again for $20, so 1200 msp in my opinion is a steal, especially if you have some bing points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back