XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Sanges99']The "Xbox Live Arcade Menu" of games won't let you play offline; it'll bring you to a sub-menu of the "big name games" on the disc (Dig-Dug, Pac-Man, Pac-Man CE, Galaga, Galaga Legions, New Rally-X, Ms. Pac-Man, Mr. Driller Online, Galaga, Xevious) but as soon as you try to load one of those titles it will kick you back out to the disc's main loading screen. (BTW all of these games have their own individual save files and also their own achievements, just as if they were individual downloaded games on your system.)

tl;dr: Yeah, the disc is mostly-jacked if you're not online.[/QUOTE]

Try downloading the demos to the games to your HDD, and as long as you have the disc in the tray, it "should" say the games are "full versions" as long as that disc is present. That's how the "(white) XBL Unplugged" and "(green) Arcade Compilation" discs work, since the DRM in those games are embedded within each of the game files, but there's nothing special the disc is doing to launch them. If there's a statement that says the game needs be online, then I'm guessing that's Namco's way of saying 1 or more of the games don't perform a correct DRM check, since you'll get the same "forced to trial mode" on a few Arcade games where the current 360 isn't the original-purchasing 360 (despite the purchasing Live account being connected).

[quote name='billydeewilliams']i need opinions. dead rising 2 or the 4 episodes of the walking dead game?[/QUOTE]

I'll go against the grain here and recommend Dead Rising 2. Both Walking Dead and DR2 are great, but they are pretty different. I have a lot more fun with DR2 killing huge swarms of zombies with creative/funny weapons. The story ain't too bad either. Walking Dead on the other hand has a fantastic story, but I'm not that compelled to replay it. Things presumably will play out a little differently depending on choices you make, but you will still hit all of the same story beats. Plus Walking dead is coming out on disc in a month or so and those compilations tend to drop in price like a rock. So getting all of the episodes for $10 within the next several months is probably a good bet (that said you can probably find a used copy of DR2 for really cheap already).

[quote name='billydeewilliams']i need opinions. dead rising 2 or the 4 episodes of the walking dead game?[/QUOTE]
Easy choice. Dead Rising 2. As someone else said it is basically Dead Rising 1 re-skinned and with a few changed features but that's not a bad thing. DR1 was awesome. The Walking Dead game is just so damn boring. There is not a single thing I like about it, the story is boring, the characters are annoying, the cutscenes get cut together weird and jumpy sometimes, and the gameplay reminds me of a game straight out of the early 90's. Oh and the whole your choices will effect the story thing seems to me to not effect anything but which character shows up in a cutscene. I will never understand why people love it so much or any point and click game for that matter.

I'll go out on a limb and say don't bother with either game. DR1 didn't do anything for me, a lot of what bardockkun said rings true to me. The save points were awful, the bosses were cheap, and the controls were just subpar. I've never checked out DR2 on the advice of most that "if I don't like DR1, I won't like DR2"

Nutman rings true in that the gameplay of Walking Dead is just boring as hell to me. (Not Walking Dead's fault, I find all "adventure" games to be a complete snooze) I know a lot of people can play games just for the story, but I'm not one of them.

[quote name='xbox_man']
but i wish they would fix the problem though. either change the games to a sale price or take them off the sale web page. false advertising if they keep those games on there.[/QUOTE]

This is the equivalent of saying it's false advertising when store ads promote games that are selling for regular price. All MS is doing is saying "hey look, this is spooky too," they're not promoting all the content as though it's all on sale. The problem is with wishful thinking and the reading comprehension that only the first page of content is reduced in price. Problem fixed, amiright?

Now that Metro 2033 and Darksiders are both part of the October Rewards and I've bought both I just need to spend another 400 MSP to get 300 back. I'm not sure what to get.

I'm planning on getting The Walking Dead disc (either regular or LE because I've been wanting the graphic novel compendium) so the XBLA version is a no-go.

Otherwise I already own everything on the list that I really want but am semi-interested in the following:

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime @ 400 MSP
Dead Space: Ignition @ 400 MSP

I've never flip flopped so much on buying a game as I have for RE4. First I said I'd buy it if it ever hit 800 MSP since I've always wanted to try it. Then I decided to pass and get the PS3 version because I was thinking of getting the entire series but now I don't think I can go back to the early games' controls. Then everyone keeps talking about how awesome it is and I don't want to wait. Then lots of people said the controls were really ancient and hard to get used to so I don't want to deal with that since I've mainly avoided the series due to the controls but loved RE5 because of the updated controls and action gameplay. Now I see it would put me into reward territory and I'd really only pay 500 MSP for it.

Hmmm... looks like RE4 is my best option. I'll probably go with that and just stick to the more action oriented games in the series. I plan on re-buying RE5 if I can find a Gold edition for $10 (already got 1000 GS on the base game and want to try the DLC) and get RE6 sometime down the road when it's cheap and/or if a Gold version of that comes out.

RE4 is the way to go by about 100 million miles compared to those other 2 games you listed.

The controls in RE4 are just fine. I had 0 problems getting used to them. I don't understand that gripe at all. Don't people play games with different control schemes all the time? I know I do. I found that the controls were part of the challenge of RE4, giving the game a layer of strategy.

Also, I don't know how big of a trophy/achievement guy you are, but the trophies in RE4 on PS3 are awful. They made them comparable to any other downloadable game. At least on 360 they gave the game the full 1000 Gamerscore. I bought RE4 on PS3 when it came out because it was 50% off for PS+, and played it for the very first time and loved it. That's why I rebought it on 360, so I can play it again and get the gamerscore this time.

Well, RE5 has much better controls (while still not allowing simultaneous movement and shooting), so I really wish they'd have added that control style as an option. It would've been so easy for Capcom to do. But they chose to port it quick-and-dirty style, making the mild graphical improvement and Achievements the only selling points of this version. Still love the game though, and yes, I adjusted to the old-fashioned controls.

[quote name='tylerh1701']

Also, I don't know how big of a trophy/achievement guy you are, but the trophies in RE4 on PS3 are awful. They made them comparable to any other downloadable game. At least on 360 they gave the game the full 1000 Gamerscore. I bought RE4 on PS3 when it came out because it was 50% off for PS+, and played it for the very first time and loved it. That's why I rebought it on 360, so I can play it again and get the gamerscore this time.[/QUOTE]

You made me do a double take there. I thought you meant they had a different list. I would buy 360 if it had a different list of achievements. but I just double checked and they are the same. I was disappointed in the trophy/acievement list because it was uninspired. I don't care about how many points/individual tropies there are, I just wish they put more thought into the list

[quote name='Cleaner7']Now that Metro 2033 and Darksiders are both part of the October Rewards and I've bought both I just need to spend another 400 MSP to get 300 back. I'm not sure what to get.

I'm planning on getting The Walking Dead disc (either regular or LE because I've been wanting the graphic novel compendium) so the XBLA version is a no-go.

Otherwise I already own everything on the list that I really want but am semi-interested in the following:

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime @ 400 MSP
Dead Space: Ignition @ 400 MSP

I've never flip flopped so much on buying a game as I have for RE4. First I said I'd buy it if it ever hit 800 MSP since I've always wanted to try it. Then I decided to pass and get the PS3 version because I was thinking of getting the entire series but now I don't think I can go back to the early games' controls. Then everyone keeps talking about how awesome it is and I don't want to wait. Then lots of people said the controls were really ancient and hard to get used to so I don't want to deal with that since I've mainly avoided the series due to the controls but loved RE5 because of the updated controls and action gameplay. Now I see it would put me into reward territory and I'd really only pay 500 MSP for it.

Hmmm... looks like RE4 is my best option. I'll probably go with that and just stick to the more action oriented games in the series. I plan on re-buying RE5 if I can find a Gold edition for $10 (already got 1000 GS on the base game and want to try the DLC) and get RE6 sometime down the road when it's cheap and/or if a Gold version of that comes out.[/QUOTE]

Both of those other game aren't very good, go with RE4.

Both of those games are terrible! Please please sink your money into something else.

Ignition is a crappy puzzle game(s) with atrocious motion comics in between.

Ghostbusters is crap too, played it with 3 friends of the franchise and we were all done within 15 min.

I agree with the fellow CAGs above STAY AWAY from both these arcade games.
A friend of mine got them since he's a 400 pointer or less game collector (roflmao)
and after playing them for a while I have to say one word for both: ----> CRAP

[quote name='Solori']You made me do a double take there. I thought you meant they had a different list. I would buy 360 if it had a different list of achievements. but I just double checked and they are the same. I was disappointed in the trophy/acievement list because it was uninspired. I don't care about how many points/individual tropies there are, I just wish they put more thought into the list[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that.

[quote name='johnpap']
A friend of mine got them since he's a 400 pointer or less game collector (roflmao) [/QUOTE]

That's me, too. I'll buy almost anything 400 or under, but I'm getting better. I was even able to stay away from Apples to Apples for 200. That being said, I'll probably grab Ugly Americans this weekend.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Sorry about that.

That's me, too. I'll buy almost anything 400 or under, but I'm getting better. I was even able to stay away from Apples to Apples for 200. That being said, I'll probably grab Ugly Americans this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Haha. :applause:

I own Ignition. Ignition is a terrible game on its own, but I only paid 17.50 total for both DS 1 and 2 so I didn't mind tossing some extra dough at a franchise I love and get some cheevos and in game bonuses to boot.

I grabbed Ugly this week as well, EastX's review persuaded me. I've got a buddy to rock it with.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']I grabbed Ugly this week as well, EastX's review persuaded me. I've got a buddy to rock it with.[/QUOTE]

Nice! You'll have to let us know how you like it. :)

[quote name='VersionJ']Has there ever been a 400 MSP GoD sale?[/QUOTE]

There was one a couple months ago. Had some kids movie tie-ins, Conan, Prince of Persia, and others. Everything was 400 MSP except for a couple. Got Conan for 320 MSP during that sale.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']Haha. :applause:

I own Ignition. Ignition is a terrible game on its own, but I only paid 17.50 total for both DS 1 and 2 so I didn't mind tossing some extra dough at a franchise I love and get some cheevos and in game bonuses to boot.

I grabbed Ugly this week as well, EastX's review persuaded me. I've got a buddy to rock it with.[/QUOTE]

I actually won Ignition from some random site that I think only had 3 entries for it, cuz it was such a crumby game.

Worst of all, I played all the way through it (on PSN) and the final gold trophy glitched on me anyway. There was no way I was going to play through it again.

thanks guys. im trying to buy stuff for the shocktober xbox rewards deal. contemplating dr2 or walking dead episodes as my main buy. i take it walking dead is like the back to future game?

other games im contemplating buying for the rewards deal. dead rising case zero, ugly americans, ghostbusters santum of slime, zombie driver, and the ghosbuster suit lol.

i hear resident evil 4 but i never played a resident evil game before so i wouldnt know what to do with that lol

[quote name='billydeewilliams']

i hear resident evil 4 but i never played a resident evil game before so i wouldnt know what to do with that lol[/QUOTE]

Enjoy it. RE4 is where I started the series, it's an amazing game. And you really don't want to go back to RE1-3 if you've never played them before. Gameplay-wise and control-wise, they're fossils.

[quote name='billydeewilliams']
i hear resident evil 4 but i never played a resident evil game before so i wouldnt know what to do with that lol[/QUOTE]
Honestly the stories never really intermingle with each other. You'll be alright.

You play RE6 right now and not miss much

[quote name='tylerh1701']Enjoy it. RE4 is where I started the series, it's an amazing game. And you really don't want to go back to RE1-3 if you've never played them before. Gameplay-wise and control-wise, they're fossils.[/QUOTE]

so is RE4...
getting used to these shitty controls is going to be a problem. I wish they'd update them to RE5 at least. lazyass capcom

Recently i beat RE4 again and thought it holds up perfectly fine?! No problems with controls - just changed the aim+shoot to LT + RT.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChaosLaw']so is RE4...
getting used to these shitty controls is going to be a problem. I wish they'd update them to RE5 at least. lazyass capcom[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna have to play RE4 again tonight. I don't remember the controls being weird for me at all.

Comparing the controls for RE4 to RE1-3 is silly...

Dead Space Ignition is awful. I got it for free as a pre-order bonus for Dead Space 2, and I still feel ripped off.

I only played the demo for Sanctum of Slime, but it was also pretty terrible. It just felt very generic, and also not fun.

I downloaded Resident Evil 4 last night though and had a blast playing through most of Chapter 1. The controls may not feel as good as they did in 2005, but it's still a very tense game and it looks better than ever.

Oh, Dead Space Ignition. I thought for a second that Stuntman Ignition was on sale, which I didn't remember hearing that it was as terrible as people here were saying or popular enough to have the amount of people with opinions about it that this thread would suggest.

how would someone describe the controls in resident evil 4. i have played code veronica and the controls are bad for that game

[quote name='eastx']Nice! You'll have to let us know how you like it. :)[/QUOTE]

Well just got done a stint of Ugly Americans and I have to say I'm pleasantly suprised. Its a bit more fun than I was expecting (though having someone to play it with makes all the difference, plus I'm a sucker for anything with a leveling/collection system) and bad funny though its the kind of bad funny that sometimes works. A lot of the weapon variety is pretty much filler as some cleary outclass the majority, but I like collecting the babies for stat boosts heh.

Not winning any awards but at 5 bucks I'm not regretting my purchase at all. Thanks EastX.

Edit: Heres the link to EastX's review in case anyone still on the fence missed it a ways back in the thread and another review that I found of it.

http://www.co-optimus.com/review/846/ugly-americans-apocalypsegeddon-co-op-review.html

http://www.selectbutton.com/review/ugly-americans-apocalypsegeddon/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChaosLaw']so is RE4...
getting used to these shitty controls is going to be a problem. I wish they'd update them to RE5 at least. lazyass capcom[/QUOTE]

It doesnt have anything to do with being lazy. Updating the graphics is one thing but updating the control scheme....well, that changes the game itself, quite dramatically in fact. Capcom understands that these kinds of HD updates should be about allowing people to play them in HD on the current generation of consoles. It shouldn't be about dramatically changing the game experience itself. Resident Evil is a perfect example as the control scheme of the early games played a very large role in the overall atmosphere of the games themselves. The tension wouldn't be anywhere near the same with an updated control system. Not even close. Basically, the Early Resident Evil games would be completely different games with updated controls.

Some people like these HD updates and some people don't like them, for one reason or another. Personally, I love them and cant wait to see what other games get the HD update in the months and years to come. That being said, if they start dramatically changing the games themselves, I wont be buying them. The game companies should preserve the game experience as much as humanely possible in these updates. They should update the graphics and leave everything else untouched. Thankfully that seems to be the approach that most companies are taking with these games and it isn because of laziness. Its because its the proper approach to these kinds of games.

I bought ugly americans about 6 months for full price, i got my 10 bucks worth... still haven't beat it made it to level 7 or 8 and the difficulty spiked.... :( if anybody wanna co op "KRONUS EGGPLANT" is my xbl name

[quote name='xbox_man']how would someone describe the controls in resident evil 4. i have played code veronica and the controls are bad for that game[/QUOTE]

Controls WAY better than Code Veronica. Doesn't Code Veronica play as if your watching your character through various security cameras, a la 1-3? Anyways, RE4 doesn't do that.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']Well just got done a stint of Ugly Americans and I have to say I'm pleasantly suprised. Its a bit more fun than I was expecting (though having someone to play it with makes all the difference, plus I'm a sucker for anything with a leveling/collection system) and bad funny though its the kind of bad funny that sometimes works. A lot of the weapon variety is pretty much filler as some cleary outclass the majority, but I like collecting the babies for stat boosts heh.

Not winning any awards but at 5 bucks I'm not regretting my purchase at all. Thanks EastX.

Edit: Heres the link to EastX's review in case anyone still on the fence missed it a ways back in the thread and another review that I found of it.

http://www.co-optimus.com/review/846/ugly-americans-apocalypsegeddon-co-op-review.html

http://www.selectbutton.com/review/ugly-americans-apocalypsegeddon/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KRONUS EGGPLANT']I bought ugly americans about 6 months for full price, i got my 10 bucks worth... still haven't beat it made it to level 7 or 8 and the difficulty spiked.... :( if anybody wanna co op "KRONUS EGGPLANT" is my xbl name[/QUOTE]

Nice to hear more positive sentiments about Ugly Americans. Still haven't gotten around to the demo, but looking forward to checking it out.

The sales and specials + app is borked on my console, I cannot even see it anywhere let alone download it.

Tried searching bing on xbox for scratch, sales and specials, sales, and nothing shows up. Doesn't show up in the apps list or any of the tiles in apps/social/games, etc.

Is there a way to download it on the console via xbox.com?

[quote name='loomis1975']The sales and specials + app is borked on my console, I cannot even see it anywhere let alone download it.

Tried searching bing on xbox for scratch, sales and specials, sales, and nothing shows up. Doesn't show up in the apps list or any of the tiles in apps/social/games, etc.

Is there a way to download it on the console via xbox.com?[/QUOTE]

Have you tried looking under Quickload/Quickplay/Recent (or whatever it's called these days)? Unless you've played over 10+ titles (including other apps) since the last time you ran it, it should still be there in the list I would think.

resident evil 1 - 3 are my favorite games of all time, yeah the controls are outdated but with some time you get used to them, those games imo still have the best atmosphere to this day

ugly americans is terrible

[quote name='Sanges99']Have you tried looking under Quickload/Quickplay/Recent (or whatever it's called these days)? Unless you've played over 10+ titles (including other apps) since the last time you ran it, it should still be there in the list I would think.[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem. I've never seen it on my dashboard, I remember looking for it once or twice when its been mentioned, the first time was when Haunt Kinect Arcade was free some months ago via the dashboard.

I just went and looked for it on the bedroom 360 that my wife normally uses when we play co-op, and it wasn't showing up there either.

Ponderous man.......really ponderous.

Not really a big deal, I was just going to try and get the zombie penguin avatar prop.

[quote name='johnpap']I agree with the fellow CAGs above STAY AWAY from both these arcade games.
A friend of mine got them since he's a 400 pointer or less game collector (roflmao)
and after playing them for a while I have to say one word for both: ----> CRAP

Resident Evil 4 for $10 is really tempting but not sure if it's worth it just for the achievements (pretty sure I got a copy for PS2 and Gamecube) also IMO from a gameplay standpoint RE4 is the best Resident Evil.

Does anyone know when Retro City Rampage is going to be released on XBLA???
I really want to play this game and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait for M$

Can we please have a official list of all the GoD and arcade games eligible for the SHOCKTOBER promotion they have going? It would be better if the thread was updated to reflect these games
Thanks

[quote name='he1l1o']Can we please have a official list of all the GoD and arcade games eligible for the SHOCKTOBER promotion they have going? It would be better if the thread was updated to reflect these games
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Its in the rewards thread:

Xbox Rewards Wiki

[quote name='Cleaner7']Fixed it for ya. Easy mistake :p[/QUOTE]
Amagawd HE is a SHE!
Anyway, no matter the gender these games SUCK anyway, so that's the bottom of the line hahaha

[quote name='Cleaner7']While typing my post I'd convinced myself to buy RE4 over those two other lesser games. I bought it as soon as I got on my Xbox. No more purchases for me this week![/QUOTE]

I'm glad you bought RE4, excellent choice and one of the best if not the best for this week.
Have fun!

Does the Blue Bag icon with a check mark on it on Chain Reaction items in the Sales & Specials+ app mean that I already own it? It's saying that I already own the fourth item (Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light DLC), but it's asking for money to get it since I guess the app still isn't that good with prior purchases. Looking at the DLC listing for the game on the dashboard shows that I do own it, which means that it was free at some point since I don't own the game and wouldn't buy DLC for a game I don't have.

I still don't see any other Shocktober games on sale in that app like it's been claimed earlier.

It would have been nice to at least offer an updated control scheme for RE4. I played it when it came out for PS2 and I loved it, but when I went back to this release, I did struggle a little bit with the controls for whatever reason. Oddly enough, I have no problem with the earlier games when I go back and play them. I think it's just the amount of third person games that have come out since then with a generally similar control scheme to each other.

Anyways, anyone know when Retro City is coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back