XBox One Console - $399 (Available 6/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consoles have been available in China for decades now in their "gray market". Now they're becoming fully legal. If you really think Microsoft stands to gain more from that than Sony. Idk what to tell you...

Honestly I think Microsoft need to stop so hard to with the East and double down in the West. They did the best with the 360 in Europe/NA. Looking like a repeat with the X1.
Neither console will benefit much from China. They are a PC market through and through (American McGee wrote a pretty good article on this topic a few weeks back). Also, the Chinese market tends not to favor Japanese products.

I don't get why people call this back-pedaling or a 180. You get a new guy in charge (Phil Spencer) who knows and loves games, you get positive changes. Of course they aren't going to continue what they had been doing when it wasn't working.

I'm a fan of Kinect (love it for recording clips and Xbox Fitness) but it's good to get a cheaper option out there.
Well, Early on, Phil Spencer was big in supporting the Kinect and saying it has to be included with the system.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-07-microsoft-studios-phil-spencer-on-resolutiongate-and-kinect

But I thought the Kinect was an integral part of the Xbone experience and they would never release a kinectless SKU. I guess when you get your ass handed to you things can change.
That's what I thought, with that being said, I'm glad I picked up my Xbox One from Amazon for $400 when they had that coupon glitch. I'll use the Kinect eventually. Honestly they should have released the Kinect less model at launch as well. It would've lead to a bigger install base.

What game based experience would I be missing?
The problem isn't what it can do now, it's what could've been possible. Whether you like the Xbox brand itself or whatever, you have to admit that the Kinect 2.0 is a great piece of tech. It's capable of doing some really amazing things in the hands of the right developers. By having a required Kinect bundled with the console, you make sure that 100% of your user install base has the device.

This gives devs the confidence to explore the tech and include it in their games. When you split the user base up by not requiring the device, devs will hold themselves back from using it. I really think the Kinect can flourish and become an amazing addition to gaming if it were given an opportunity to do so.

Considering the system with Kinect has been available for $399 many, many times already, I fail to see how this does them much good.

I think a limited time $399.99 Second Son bundle would be a good counter move for Sony if they want to try and stick it to MS. But like you said, they are selling so well they really dont have to do anything at this point.
SS has already done it`s numbers the game to add would be the new metal gear if they offered a customer console bundle like the MGS4 PS3 it would move major units. Add Uncharted or an unannouced E3 blockbuster exclusive to the mix & each would have a better boost than what titanfall did for XB1.

I think alot of people expecting further drops from MS on BF are going to be disappointed with all the drops already they`ll most likely go the bundle route. There`s already been 2-3 ways to score either system for $100-$200 off MSRP or with $90-$114 credit with a little effort & you`d already have had months of enjoyment.

I don't get why people call this back-pedaling or a 180. You get a new guy in charge (Phil Spencer) who knows and loves games, you get positive changes. Of course they aren't going to continue what they had been doing when it wasn't working.
fuck Don Mattrick. That's all.

Now I wonder if M$ is going to do some kind of "Ambassador" program for us early adopters. Think it would be easy (and probably not fair) to target those who has the "Day One" achievement.

Edit: Thought the whole price was coming down to $399 but they're taking out the Kinect. That's what I get for biking 8 miles one way to work on a very hot Southern California Morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
SS has already done it`s numbers the game to add would be the new metal gear if they offered a customer console bundle like the MGS4 PS3 it would move major units. Add Uncharted or an unannouced E3 blockbuster exclusive to the mix & each would have a better boost than what titanfall did for XB1.

I think alot of people expecting further drops from MS on BF are going to be disappointed with all the drops already they`ll most likely go the bundle route. There`s already been 2-3 ways to score either system for $100-$200 off MSRP or with $90-$114 credit with a little effort & you`d already have had months of enjoyment.
That may the case for people that own a PS4. But bundles aren't made for people that already own a PS4. They're made for people that don't.

I was thinking this exact same thing. And I consider myself an Xbox fanboy, though I also own a PS3 and PS4.

Its no secret that the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. A few months ago the rumor was Microsoft is freeing up resources on the overall console by scaling back the resources needed for Kinect - this was an attempt to level the playing field with the PS4.

But with today's news fracturing the Kinect install base, developers can feel free to continue ignoring it (as they've done with the 360), rather than actually trying to integrate it in interesting ways into gameplay.

This was the decision Microsoft had to make to compete with Sony; I get that. But the far-flung dream of what Kinect might become some day has died this morning. What a waste of four years of everyone's time.
Someone who understands what I was saying. Developers are rather timid creatures most of the time. They want to make money. Yes, their love and passion for gaming is a big reason for what they do, but keep in mind that the bottom line is still making money. It's a business after all. When they see that the Kinect install base is split, they are not keen on taking full advantage of the Kinect.

The Kinect as it stands right now is not the be-all end-all device it can be. But with some attention there's no telling what it can do. It has awesome technology built into it that developers could do amazing things with if they put in the time and effort and really explored it. Offering a bundle without the Kinect will take away their confidence in developing for it since they won't generate as many sales. And like you said, developers will largely ignore the thing just like they did with the original Kinect on X360.

That is not good. How can we further gaming if we're too cheap to try something new?

[quote name="IronZombie" post="11753610" timestamp="1399994298"]It's basically a neutered console without the Kinect. Is saving 100 bucks really worth it when you don't get the full experience?[/quote]

When I wouldn't use those features at all? Yes.

At the end of the day what's left now? The Kinect was a stupid idea but it was the only think that differentiated the X1 on the market - like the Wii U game-pad - if you take it away you're just left with an under-powered console by which point you might as well just pick up a PS4 for the same price.

Now just wait to see M$ charge way more then $100 for the stupid Kinect.  

The problem isn't what it can do now, it's what could've been possible. Whether you like the Xbox brand itself or whatever, you have to admit that the Kinect 2.0 is a great piece of tech. It's capable of doing some really amazing things in the hands of the right developers. By having a required Kinect bundled with the console, you make sure that 100% of your user install base has the device.

This gives devs the confidence to explore the tech and include it in their games. When you split the user base up by not requiring the device, devs will hold themselves back from using it. I really think the Kinect can flourish and become an amazing addition to gaming if it were given an opportunity to do so.
Kinect supporters have been saying the same shit since 2010. Lets face it, outside of Dance/Fitness games Kinect will never offer any meaningful gaming experiences. It should have been an optional add on from day one. I can't believe MS thought forcing it on people was a good idea.

Mistake. Lets screw over the developers making kinect games. Let's screw over early adopters. Let's screw over our sales for the next month, let's give sony a month to drop price or bundle in a game.

That is not good. How can we further gaming if we're too cheap to try something new?
My second 360 was a Kinect Bundle. I got it 2 or 3 years ago. I wanted to replace my original Jasper based one. I had no interest in the Kinect. But I did buy one and would have actually hooked it up if there was a compelling reason to do so. I sold it on Ebay never even hooked it up.

There wasn't and for me still isn't. Simple as that. I wasn't paying $100 more for something that initially HAD to be connected and then later (before release) could be left in the box. I don't want to talk to my XBox. I want to play games.

Yeah, i really don't get why announce this now, almost a month before it happens. You could have saved this for E3 and made the announcement and say you can get it right now. Seems like all it will do is hurt its sales for the next month.

At this point, id just wait till holiday time. Should easily get an X1 with a game or 2 bundled in for $400.

Kinectless X1 was pretty much inevitable.  This is how the console should have launched originally, $400 with no useless added on kinect.  I just wish I had waited to buy an X1.  I still play my X360 far more than my X1 with so few games still on the system I could have easily waited this long to pick up this version.  Oh well that's the price you pay as an early adopter.

Hopefully they'll redesign the UI and add an auto sign in feature without the kinect now.  With this announcement these are the last two major complaints I have with the system.

Yeah, i really don't get why announce this now, almost a month before it happens. You could have saved this for E3 and made the announcement and say you can get it right now. Seems like all it will do is hurt its sales for the next month.

At this point, id just wait till holiday time. Should easily get an X1 with a game or 2 bundled in for $400.
My guess is because they didn't want to deal with any perceived blowback during E3. Pissed off customers complaining on the internet detracts from their overall message which should be games. This announcement will be old news by E3. Phil can mention it and spend the rest of the time focusing only on games which is what everyone wants.

It seems like they're actually listening to people now.  They still need to improve the UI and install/update times.  Fix that, give out some games, release some excellent games. Fix your damn brand before everybody goes and buys a playstation. 

Just wait till these pop up on AWD :whistle2:
You're speaking my language. ;)

Finally. This is more my price range. Now I gotta think. Buy it now, wait for a bundle, or wait for Black Friday? My 360 backlog is still tremendous...
Option D: Wait for a Black Friday bundle.

Speaking of "D", how will this affect Swery's (creator of Deadly Premonition) XB1 game, which seems to focus entirely on Kinect controls? Until I heard it required Kinect, it was one of the factors in my eventually getting an XB1...

Someone who understands what I was saying. Developers are rather timid creatures most of the time. They want to make money. Yes, their love and passion for gaming is a big reason for what they do, but keep in mind that the bottom line is still making money. It's a business after all. When they see that the Kinect install base is split, they are not keen on taking full advantage of the Kinect.

The Kinect as it stands right now is not the be-all end-all device it can be. But with some attention there's no telling what it can do. It has awesome technology built into it that developers could do amazing things with if they put in the time and effort and really explored it. Offering a bundle without the Kinect will take away their confidence in developing for it since they won't generate as many sales. And like you said, developers will largely ignore the thing just like they did with the original Kinect on X360.

There is merit to your words. Microsoft is desperate though.

Xbone with Kinect is the console gamers deserve but not one it needs right now.

You're right. MS will have to make some significant changes to the UI.

Also, a lot of the comments on here about Kinect being useless appear to be from folks who don't own an X1. Anyone who currently owns one will tell you that navigating the UI without the Kinect is a pain in the ass.
Yeah, that's always been Kinect's problem though. The biggest critics are generally those who don't own/have never played anything using/haven't even used it with the UI. Neither Kinect was perfect by any means but there were some genuinely fun games for the 360 that were all but ignored by a lot of people for not being a "core game." It reminds me of the people who hated the N64 purely because there were more games with blood in them on Playstation. The totally incorrect assumption that gamer's only want to play Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto for the rest of their lives, and the rest aren't "real gamers."

The kinect really doesn't improve the UI at all. Just shortcuts things.
You mean it makes it easier to navigate and use? So it... improves the experience?

You misread me. The Kinect is a great tool in terms of using the X1 device. It's great for casual games and it's great for commercials. It's great for everything except core gaming. And at the end of the day, if you're on CAG you're all about those core games. Unfortunately for Microsoft they bet on those casuals but it didn't work for them. Also unfortunately like I said unless it was an X1 exclusive devs were never going to pour much development time for the Kinect. For a multiplatform game it doesn't make much sense. Only X1 users will have that available. Just like the touch pad on the PS4 controller.
I already kind of commented on this but please cut out the shit regarding "core gaming." What is "core" has changed a lot over the years, and more than once too. A lot of gamers liked Kinect, a lot of them liked the Wii too. Also, Microsoft sold a shit ton of Kinect's to that "casual" crowd so it was hardly a wash.

Also, the Chinese market tends not to favor Japanese products.
Yeah... I imagine this being the biggest thing.

This a million times. There really was some potential with Kinect 2.0 and I even liked the little ways a few of the launch games used it to add to the game (shouting at zombies in Dead Rising 3, shouting commands in Ryse, etc.). Hopefully if nothing else Microsoft will feel they should do for the Kinect sort of like how Nintendo sets the standard for their console's features with their first party titles.

Seriously would be foolish imo to jump on this now. See how it plays out. Better deals can come out before the end of the year. If it doesnt, oh well, $400 today is the same as $400 in Nov/Dec

So...is the SKU with Kinect going to be discontinued or phased out completely? The recent temporary price drop was a hell of a deal but it must not have done enough to move units.

My guess is because they didn't want to deal with any perceived blowback during E3. Pissed off customers complaining on the internet detracts from their overall message which should be games. This announcement will be old news by E3. Phil can mention it and spend the rest of the time focusing only on games which is what everyone wants.
That and April NPD sales figures probably suck again given they couldn't even win in March with Titanfall.

With those coming out soon, this was a way to get some positive buzz in the gaming media right before those hit, and also lets them focus just on games during E3.

We all know how M$ will spin this at E3 just like they did with DRM:

"We listened to our fan base and gave them what they wanted."

Removing the kinect it self and selling the system for cheaper isnt bad. I think its more how they acted about it that rubs people the wrong way.

I think more of is just the "I told you so" nature of it. Myself and Others maintained the whole time at some point this year, they would drop the kinect while others would always go "No way! that will never happen! the kinect is too important and they told us they will never remove the kinect!"

My guess is April's sales numbers must have been bad and May's must have looked grim too, thus if May's sales numbers tank they can say "well people were waiting for the $399 model" as an excuse

April numbers must be awful but great news for folks who were on the fence or the many others who hated the Kinect. I'm not sure it is enough of a price drop to move the needle but time will tell. The most important announcement to current X1 owners is the implementation of Games with Gold and Microsoft abandoning the paywall for apps.
It's too late. I left Microsoft after the clusterF which is the xbone launch and following price cuts. Last gen I was all about the 360, I preferred it over my PS3. In the last two years Sony pulled ahead in my opinion and my eyes truly opened seeing how brainwashed I was with all of the nonsense Microsoft pulled. Then the xbone announcement with DRM, always online, forced kinect, charging for headset adapters, the XBL paywall for paid for services.

Think of it this way... you're in a long term relationship and your spouse abuses you for years yet always apologizes. Now after all these years you finally gave up, no matter how many "I'm sorry's" and promises to change, even if they do really change, it's too little too late. You've already moved on.

Almost there M$, now you just need some games I care about to buy an Xbox One-Eighty. ;)

It seems like they're actually listening to people now. They still need to improve the UI and install/update times. Fix that, give out some games, release some excellent games. Fix your damn brand before everybody goes and buys a playstation.
They listen to money, nothing else.

I'm a fan of Kinect (love it for recording clips and Xbox Fitness) but it's good to get a cheaper option out there.

Of course it's back pedaling. When this system was first announced, people wanted to know if the Kinect was an option. Many core gamers were turned off by having to subsidize an accessory that wasn't mandatory for gameplay. The MS reps all said that is was required and was never going to be sold separately. We are just 1 year removed from that announcement and now they've gone back on their word.

Their sales pitch at the time convinced some folks that to get an Xbone, you would have to be stuck with the Kinect 2.0 bundled. The situation is the Kinect is now no longer required to be purchased. So you even have folks in this thread alone admitting regret over buying one with the announcement. So yes, it is another 180.

My second 360 was a Kinect Bundle. I got it 2 or 3 years ago. I wanted to replace my original Jasper based one. I had no interest in the Kinect. But I did buy one and would have actually hooked it up if there was a compelling reason to do so. I sold it on Ebay never even hooked it up.

There wasn't and for me still isn't. Simple as that. I wasn't paying $100 more for something that initially HAD to be connected and then later (before release) could be left in the box. I don't want to talk to my XBox. I want to play games.
You should read my entire post instead of quoting a single sentence and going off that. What I meant by it is that by taking the device out of the bundle you split up the user install base. Now all of a sudden developers don't have a reason to work on any really compelling Kinect things because they know the bottom line is not everyone will own one. This is the same issue we had with the 360, and that's why the 360 Kinect wasn't that great. That's why there was no "compelling reason" for you to hook it up, because developers were largely ignoring it.

It's too late. I left Microsoft after the clusterF which is the xbone launch and following price cuts. Last gen I was all a out the 360, I preferred it over my PS3. In the last two years Sony pulled ahead in my opinion and my eyes truly opened seeing how brainwashed I was with all of the nonsense Microsoft pulled. Then the xbone announcement with DRM, always online, forced kinect, charging for headset adapters, the XBL paywall for paid for services.
This.
I'm not falling for a repeat of the 4gb 360 again (make me believe I'm saving money then I actually pay more money for memory than if I had bought the 250GB). I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this "drop" is a joke, & much too late. This has done nothing but, push me over the fence entirely onto Sony's side. Now I'm just waiting for a good price on a ps4.

Really really really good timing by Microsoft.

I am now having to replace my second ps4 (first was broke day one hdmi issue, second one is auto eject issue). I am about done with Sony at this point with having two consoles break in less than 6 months.

I was never going to buy the one as long as it had the kinect with it. 

Im going to mull over whether or not I want to switch to xbone, but this makes the decision a lot harder. 

Great move by Microsoft.

A Time-Warner installer visited my home last month.  Seeing I had a PS4 and XBox One, he stated he had a PS4 and inquired about the XBox.  I told him the TV through the XBox feature ended up being a hassle, and I quickly disconnected the XBox from the cable box.  According to him, I was the seventh or eight customer he had spoken to who had done the same thing. 

Sorry to those who enjoy Kinect, but I'm glad about today's news and hope all motion gaming dies, dies, dies!  And I hope it takes Microsoft's vision of owning the living room/entertainment center to hell with it! 

I'll make a prediction for your guys.  Whoever announces some kind of real sales initiative for digital games will gain a massive advantage over the other company.  Yes price matters.  Yes games really matter.  That said, if one of these companys wants to differentiate itself from the other by offering something unique, then a true initiative for sales of digital games is the way to go.  People don't want to pay $59.99 for fifa when they can buy it from the microsoft store for $30.  Similarly, they don't want to pay $40.00 for a vita game when they can easily get it for $20 and then trade it back in.  

I understand the hurdles that exist with retailers but as I said finding a solution would be the way to separate one console/company from the other.

You should read my entire post instead of quoting a single sentence and going off that. What I meant by it is that by taking the device out of the bundle you split up the user install base. Now all of a sudden developers don't have a reason to work on any really compelling Kinect things because they know the bottom line is not everyone will own one. This is the same issue we had with the 360, and that's why the 360 Kinect wasn't that great. That's why there was no "compelling reason" for you to hook it up, because developers were largely ignoring it.
People keep saying this but what compelling reason did the Kinect 2 made when it was included with every Xbox One? It made nothing and developers weren't really supporting it to begin with. Even with a 100% installed base it did nothing. It didn't have any Kinect games that can justify it to be included with every system.

So what were the must own Xbox one Kinect games?

I love the Kinect and I wouldn't buy a console without it....
it encourages me to get my fat ass off the couch and do some physical activity while playing games

It's not like the X1 has had a lot of Kinect games put out or announced even before now when it was assumed every owner would have one. Motion gaming is largely dead. People buying Kinect-less skus would be pretty unlikely to buy Kinect games if they had to buy the forced bundle anyway, given they weren't willing to pay for Kinect.

Most people who liked Wii or Kinect motion crap are either still happy playing Just Dance and what not on those platforms, or long got sick of it and quit gaming and/or moved on to smartphone/tablet crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back