XBox One Console - $399 (Available 6/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't believe that Microsoft is actually doing this poorly in sales to completely change what they are doing. I am glad to see that they are listening to gamers and willing to adapt, but there is no way they are doing as bad as it seems...

At least there will be a market for me to sell my Kinect now. No complaints here since I got the Titanfall bundle when it was on sale.

HEY!!!!, My console brand is better than your console brand.  NO WAY!!!! My console brand does X, Y and Z better.  No way your console brand sucks at Y, my counsel brand does Y much better. Whatever my console brand has blah game, Blah game sucks, blah blah game on my console brand is far superior.......on and on it goes, then we all die, and whichever console is better is meaningless. 

THE END

EDIT**  I suck at spelling and i hate myself for it

Last edited by a moderator:
have they put forth any pricing yet for kinect only?

HEY!!!!, My counsel brand is better than your counsel brand. NO WAY!!!! My counsel brand does X, Y and Z better. No way your counsel brand sucks at Y, my counsel brand does Y much better. Whatever my counsel brand has blah game, Blah game sucks, blah blah game on my counsel brand is far superior.......on and on it goes, then we all die, and whichever counsel is better is meaningless.

THE END
Hey now, there's no need to bring lawyers into this.

HEY!!!!, My counsel brand is better than your counsel brand. NO WAY!!!! My counsel brand does X, Y and Z better. No way your counsel brand sucks at Y, my counsel brand does Y much better. Whatever my counsel brand has blah game, Blah game sucks, blah blah game on my counsel brand is far superior.......on and on it goes, then we all die, and whichever counsel is better is meaningless.

THE END
Counsel? What the hell are you talking about?

More than $100 based on this comment:

Microsoft hasn’t decided what its standalone Kinect will cost later this year, but head of Xbox Phil Spencer says “the price probably won’t be exactly $100.”

Spencer tells IGN, “There is some efficiency in putting everything together in one box. So we’ll announce more on pricing later.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/microsoft-standalone-kinect-coming-later-unlikely-to-cost-100?abthid=53727c5c4b2cb27f1f00005d

The most exciting thing for me is the games for gold massive bump in value. If they are offering Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3, arguably the best games on the system for free that is one heck of an upgrade to what's been offered before.

As someone with zero interest in the console and doesn't plan on buying one anytime in the near future, I'm glad MS is stepping it up and I hope this causes competition with Sony to step up their game regarding ps plus on the ps4. Even if Sony offered Killzone and Infamous in the upcoming months, the games for gold is a better program since you actually get to keep the games rather than just rent them via subscription.

The PS4 could also use some games to play, it's severely lacking in fun games. Curious to see how they answer back by e3.

Great news for MS fans and gaming in general, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in picking up a XB1 after e3.
It says discounted 25 to 75% off. Not free. There is one line about a free VIP room. No word on what you get for free. Basically they are about to kick off what the 360 has today sadly they are slow to launch this as PS4 already has it!

You should read my entire post instead of quoting a single sentence and going off that. What I meant by it is that by taking the device out of the bundle you split up the user install base. Now all of a sudden developers don't have a reason to work on any really compelling Kinect things because they know the bottom line is not everyone will own one. This is the same issue we had with the 360, and that's why the 360 Kinect wasn't that great. That's why there was no "compelling reason" for you to hook it up, because developers were largely ignoring it.
And what is the problem of splitting the userbase since no one is using it, there are no games, almost noone doing Kinect games, the console cost more than the competition and its has worse hardware? They need to lower the base price of the console to sell more as they are falling behind. People who want Kinect games will buy Kinect bundle or the camera at some point. This is better overall. Do not forget, this is a game console with bells and whistles: still a game console for gamers who use gamepads. Kinect was and still is, another funny accesory.

So now the system war is what it should have been in the first place: Games vs Games.

I mean, yeah the PS4 is more powerful, but the PS4 will never have Halo or Gears just like the X1 will never have The last of Us and God of War.

Desperate MS is good MS.
The people that made those series what they are rolled out long ago. Sure they won't be on PS4 but it doesn't matter nearly as much as it did last generation.

Can't imagine it being cheaper then $150. MS could say you saved $50 by buying it bundled, and also profit better that way. It's also apparent that the Kinect unit iself is not costing MS much as everyone pegged it to be if they are selling it at $399. I'd imagine they are profiting a very small amount off each system, and more when sold seperately.

Can't imagine it being cheaper then $150. MS could say you saved $50 by buying it bundled, and also profit better that way. It's also apparent that the Kinect unit iself is not costing MS much as everyone pegged it to be if they are selling it at $399. I'd imagine they are profiting a very small amount off each system, and more when sold seperately.
Not sure if I am reading your comment correctly, however MS had already said that Kinect was the real reason for such a high price, like it costs $200 to make. I have a feeling MS is still making a lot of money of the Kinectless Consoles they will start selling... Honestly this new $399 price is dumb, not like you are actually getting any value. The $450 Kinect with Titanfall has been the only true deal, this is not and I would never buy a system that is so reliant on a piece of hardware that they are taking out. Now if MS had of changed the price to $400 with Kinect, then MS would be back in this.

B-bu-but they'll never take out the Kinect!...

Anyway the price is too high and this is a bad idea. $350 without or $400 with and I'd think about it. It'll happen and I hope sooner rather than later.

This makes about as much sense as the 360 Arcade without any local storage did back in the day.
Yeah. Remember these? A whopping 64 to 512 MB!

xbox-360-512-mb-memory-card.jpg

B-bu-but they'll never take out the Kinect!...

Anyway the price is too high and this is a bad idea. $350 without or $400 with and I'd think about it. It'll happen and I hope sooner rather than later.
And this is what is funny... MS constantly kept saying we are never doing a kinectless bundle and we are not dropping the price. Now they have, which means how long till they do it again. No one can trust MS's word on this which could cost more people to wait on buying it in case MS switches their stance again.

First it was "a kinect-less x1 at the same price of the ps4 is needed" now it's "well this is still too much." I get they messed up bad when they first announced the system but at least they're acknowledging it and making changes. Some companies wouldn't.

First it was "a kinect-less x1 at the same price of the ps4 is needed" now it's "well this is still too much." I get they messed up bad when they first announced the system but at least they're acknowledging it and making changes. Some companies wouldn't.
Yeah except you could make your own $399 system by purchasing what is available now and selling the Kincet for $100+.

They aren't doing anything for the consumer that a savy consumer couldn't do for themselves. You could argue that buying a vanilla console sans Kinect at $399 is a worse deal then buying what is available this moment and considerably worse then when the bundles (Forza or Titanfall) were available for $450 and in a few situations $399.

But this announcement most likely explains why the "temporary" sale of $450 disappeared and all the current consoles/bundles reverted back to $499.

I don't think this will increase sales significantly---in fact I think any major announcements game wise at E3 will have a more significant impact however it does at least leave the door open for retailers to have sales based on the $399 price point.

Edit:

It is when the UI is designed for the Kinect and they have to "update it" to make it work acceptably without the Kinect. It impacts the functional use of the console, which was the same issue with the lack of hard drive on the 360 Arcade back in the day.

Yeah but let's be honest. The UI on the X1 was rushed and most definitely released prematurely. They have been "updating" it regularly since it was released, adding features that should have been included at launch, fixing bugs, etc.
This just keeps them on the same schedule of providing "updates" for the next 6+ months. And to get the same level of functionality without kinect from a controller or controller and a headset shouldn't be a tough feat to accomplish

$100 off without Kinect isn't surprising look at the xbox 360 version. the 250GB regular retail price is $299.99 while the 250GB with Kinect retail is $399.99. So if they repeat the same pattern then the xbox one with Kinect wont be $400 as a bundle until the xbox one without Kinect drops to $300 which wont happen for awhile. They have always had a $100 different between the models.

The most exciting thing for me is the games for gold massive bump in value. If they are offering Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3, arguably the best games on the system for free that is one heck of an upgrade to what's been offered before.

As someone with zero interest in the console and doesn't plan on buying one anytime in the near future, I'm glad MS is stepping it up and I hope this causes competition with Sony to step up their game regarding ps plus on the ps4. Even if Sony offered Killzone and Infamous in the upcoming months, the games for gold is a better program since you actually get to keep the games rather than just rent them via subscription
Actually, the GwG for xbox one is a rental via subscription. You need an active xbox live gold subscription to continue playing games on it. The xbox 360 GwG will still be free though.

$100 off without Kinect isn't surprising look at the xbox 360 version. the 250GB regular retail price is $299.99 while the 250GB with Kinect retail is $399.99. So if they repeat the same pattern then the xbox one with Kinect wont be $400 as a bundle until the xbox one without Kinect drops to $300 which wont happen for awhile. They have always had a $100 different between the models.
They have too many models on the shelves, imo. Way too many skus. I don't understand why retailers deal with it, but Nintendo killed the standard 3DS for the XL and the 2DS.

They have too many models on the shelves, imo. Way too many skus. I don't understand why retailers deal with it, but Nintendo killed the standard 3DS for the XL and the 2DS.
Nintendo killed the SKU for the standard 3DS and instead replaced it with multiple skus of various bundles of the 3ds xl lol they just traded the skus off but not killed them in a way. But also keep in mind stores didn't start killing off the 3ds standard sku until about 2 years after the 3ds xl came out. which is what will happen with the xbox 360 and ps3 in two years from now.

So it's the same price as a ps4, it's still a weaker system and now it doesn't have kinect. Unless they drop the price below $350 it's not going to make a difference

People know it's weaker so charging the SAME price isn't going to help

I think you're right about voice commands via headset which leads me to believe they will have to unveil a new/updated UI at E3.
Major Nelson did advocate this user made "Ultimate UI." Maybe they'll feature something like that.

As for voice commands via headset, I doubt it's gonna happen. The Kinect is more than just a microphone. I also don't see a reason why MS would neuter the Kinect even more by offering voice commands without it. They still want you to buy one. You can still perfectly navigate the X1 menus without a Kinect (it's just more tedious). If a new UI comes out don't expect it to offer mic voice commands.

I still can't believe that Microsoft is actually doing this poorly in sales to completely change what they are doing. I am glad to see that they are listening to gamers and willing to adapt, but there is no way they are doing as bad as it seems...
I'm not sure you how you can draw that conclusion just by this competitive action. Is it possible? Sure, but the fact remains that 5 million units sold (or is it shipped? I can't remember to be truthful) is still very good, if I recall correctly, it's better than predicted.

i am hoping they might release a slim version down the line, it looks bigger than my old vcrs.
But it stays nice and cool. You know they had to have been worried about heat issues this time around. Personally the look of it doesn't bother me one bit.

So it's the same price as a ps4, it's still a weaker system and now it doesn't have kinect. Unless they drop the price below $350 it's not going to make a difference

It's all about the games really. Without more meaningful exclusives they can't win, since all the multiplatform games play slightly better on PS4.

As someone with zero interest in the console and doesn't plan on buying one anytime in the near future, I'm glad MS is stepping it up and I hope this causes competition with Sony to step up their game regarding ps plus on the ps4. Even if Sony offered Killzone and Infamous in the upcoming months, the games for gold is a better program since you actually get to keep the games rather than just rent them via subscription.

The PS4 could also use some games to play, it's severely lacking in fun games. Curious to see how they answer back by e3.

Great news for MS fans and gaming in general, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in picking up a XB1 after e3.
May I ask where you saw that Forza 5 and DR3 were going to be offered as GwG? I really don't think it'll happen that soon.

I'm not sure you how you can draw that conclusion just by this competitive action. Is it possible? Sure, but the fact remains that 5 million units sold (or is it shipped? I can't remember to be truthful) is still very good, if I recall correctly, it's better than predicted.
It is very good, however with PS4 getting an even bigger lead then that, it can sway developers, or make it a heck of a lot more expensive to get exclusives signed seeing that you are missing out on a 7 mill install base of the PS4 (I.E. Titfall fiasco where it didn't do the numbers they had expected and didn't really cover the amount they got in exclusive money.)

Yeah except, you know. The games.

PS4 isn't getting Halo 2 AE, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive or Forza Horizon 2. I'm making the assumpition because nktrnl has been 100% right so far with the leaks outside of the Japan release date. There will be a lot of good games not on PS4 and a lot of good games not on X1. But right now MS is winning the exclusive war for 2014 imho.

Obviously MS can never win the graphics power war, but Watch Dogs being 900p vs 800p isn't exactly helping Sony's cause. There probably won't be as many drastic differences like there was in Tomb Raider (60vs30fps)

May I ask where you saw that Forza 5 and DR3 were going to be offered as GwG? I really don't think it'll happen that soon.
He is just talking like some of the complainers of PS Plus... Thinking first party titles will be released on it anytime soon is naive. With almost no games on each platform, why would they give us one of the few for free. Maybe a year in both companies might as an anniversary gift? But not now... just indies (Which are still good!)

It's not, from what I understood from the IGN article, MS is implementing a "Deals for Gold" program, much like PS+, where there will be exclusive deals to Gold subscribers on newer games between 50% to 75% off. The launch lineup were mentioned as being part of it, although it was also mentioned that there will be some other nice surprises. 

Lol, I own a 3br/1.5 bath house...far from a mansion

DX12 will be the defining moment for the xb1 I think.

It's all about the games really. Without more meaningful exclusives they can't win, since all the multiplatform games play slightly better on PS4.
It is all about games, but 95% of the games will be the same on both systems! like you said it's the fact they will be better on the PS4 is why everyone is getting it. Same with 99% of multi plat games being better on 360 then PS3

I'll make a prediction for your guys. Whoever announces some kind of real sales initiative for digital games will gain a massive advantage over the other company. Yes price matters. Yes games really matter. That said, if one of these companys wants to differentiate itself from the other by offering something unique, then a true initiative for sales of digital games is the way to go. People don't want to pay $59.99 for fifa when they can buy it from the microsoft store for $30. Similarly, they don't want to pay $40.00 for a vita game when they can easily get it for $20 and then trade it back in.

I understand the hurdles that exist with retailers but as I said finding a solution would be the way to separate one console/company from the other.
Digital has many many more issues to overcome. The least of which is install sizes and of course the fact that outside of music, digital only distribution methods hasn't really taken off the way everyone said it would.

The thing that absolutely boggles my mind is that they went all-in on Kinect 2.0, and then didn't bother to get Dance Central 4 onto the system. As far as we can tell it's been abandoned. That was by far the best Kinect 1.0 game. There is the Fantastia thing, but that's not likely to be what Dance Central fans were looking for, and any case it still isn't out. It should have been out at release. The multitude of ways that MS got this generation wrong is pretty staggering. BUT they are making changes for the better. I want Dance Central 4, incidentally. I probably would already own an Xbox One if they had had that at release. It's a fantastic game series and makes Kinect worthwhile.
While I could go either way on DC4, I fully agree, I'm still amazed there wasn't a major Kinect release at launch. To be more blunt, I'm surprised there wasn't something in the way of a simple party game that was a free download the first month. Get X1 users into a digital, Kinect based games right away. Win-Win in so many ways.

They aren't doing that poorly (at least 5 million sold), they just aren't doing the best. So they are changing tactics and what they offer. Called business. Sony has to be careful they don't get complacent again, last time they did that they almost bankrupted themselves.

And no one will care.
I'll care about a $200 Wii-U as that is when I'll buy one.

I also have to say, seems like 75% of people in this thread bitched about how they should sell a kinect free version or they won't buy it. Now they are bitching about how they are offering a Kinect free model and they won't buy it. These people were never going to buy it.

I also love all the PS4 Fan Boys, "It's about the games!" It sure is, which is why I got an X1 at launch and not the PS4. Infamous is the only PS4 exclusive I've been even mildly interested in so far.

It is very good, however with PS4 getting an even bigger lead then that, it can sway developers, or make it a heck of a lot more expensive to get exclusives signed seeing that you are missing out on a 7 mill install base of the PS4 (I.E. Titfall fiasco where it didn't do the numbers they had expected and didn't really cover the amount they got in exclusive money.)
That's a very good point. However, it seems that Microsoft is getting more generous with their resources as far as securing exclusives as evidenced by the Sunset Overdrive IP situation and Titanfall's development siutuation. It could go either way.

This is also a good point, but it also only tells half the story. Fact is, the average consumer likes to think they are getting a deal. I'm not saying this is an great deal, I'm saying that most consumers will see it as a deal, even though the Kinect is no longer in place.

What game based experience would I be missing?

Edit: I do agree that this decision should have been made earlier... a $399 console w/o Kinect isn't really much of a savings over a $499 console with kinect but at least it's a start.

What are the odds that AZ will still have Day One console in stock starting year two?
Didn't Microsoft sell the Titanfall bundle for $359.99 or $399.99 back in March with promo code "1"? And wasn't Walmart selling the Titanfall bundle with 12 months xbox live for $450? I personally could never justify spending that much for just the Xbox One when I could have gotten a game and a kinect for the same price, even if my kinect collects dust in the corner.

It's not, from what I understood from the IGN article, MS is implementing a "Deals for Gold" program, much like PS+, where there will be exclusive deals to Gold subscribers on newer games between 50% to 75% off. The launch lineup were mentioned as being part of it, although it was also mentioned that there will be some other nice surprises.
This isn't new. This has been around for like 8 years. They keep announcing plans to look at cheap digital distribution like this but they already do it every week with their deal of the week. I'm pretty sure Thief and Tomb Raider have already been 50% off on the Xbox One marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back