Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Truth. It's hard to believe what any company says. But in reality dropping the Kinect is the best thing MS can do to have *ANY* shot at winning this console war. Chances are they won't win anything outside of the US, but in the US they still have a very good shot and getting back the lead considering they are only down 300kish consoles. MS knows they can't lose the US market, and they know that they have to be aggressive as possible to keep in pace with Sony. The good news for MS is Sony can't afford to drop their console because the company is already bleeding badly. If anything both companies will be at $399 for awhile outside of holiday sales, and when Sony is finally able to drop the price MS will match it. win-win for MS by dropping the Kinect.
at most, they will probably offer some free game in the black friday bundles

A new SKU with a bigger internal hard drive/no disc drive perhap (with a bundled download code for a game of course)?

Last edited by a moderator:
quantum break delayed to 2015 will not be at e3 :( .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cwivOXBqw

game looks great and if it's anything like alien wake i can't wait to play this game.

PS4 or Xbox One this year is full of delays, I wonder if the consoles were ever meant to launch last year given all of these exclusive delays. I mean shouldn't these studio's have had plenty of time to work on these games? Especially if third parties are still pushing out games to the systems.

So Xbox One is currently sitting on Sunset Overdrive, and supposedly the Halo remake. I guess that's not the complete end of the world given all the high profile third party games that are dropping this fall, but I hope they announce some more high profile titles.

I wouldn't be shocked to see more anniversary/collection editions from both consoles to pad out their system this year. Xbox has some franchises to do it with like Gears, Crackdown, Fable...

PS4 or Xbox One this year is full of delays, I wonder if the consoles were ever meant to launch last year given all of these exclusive delays. I mean shouldn't these studio's have had plenty of time to work on these games? Especially if third parties are still pushing out games to the systems.

So Xbox One is currently sitting on Sunset Overdrive, and supposedly the Halo remake. I guess that's not the complete end of the world given all the high profile third party games that are dropping this fall, but I hope they announce some more high profile titles.
It's a bit obvious when developers were working on dev kits and Microsoft still hadn't finalized the internals of what we know of today as the Xbox One. The visual fidelity and net code required for a next-gen experience takes time and Remedy doesn't do yearly/b-yearly releases anyways.

Yeah E3 should be quite the show! God I really hope Halo Wars 2 shows up but hmm that could be another title more focused for GamesCom so there's hope if it doesn't get revealed at E3 haha.

it's obvious these systems were rushed by the systems them selfs with things missing and the games being delayed. I really feel sony wanted to be ahead of ms at start which is why they jump the gun on the system and then ms rushed out the x1 to match sony. 

it's obvious these systems were rushed by the systems them selfs with things missing and the games being delayed. I really feel sony wanted to be ahead of ms at start which is why they jump the gun on the system and then ms rushed out the x1 to match sony.
Or you know, its like this every gen.

I don't think they were rushed. Even if they came out this holiday, it doesnt mean these games would be out any sooner.

I don't think they were rushed. Even if they came out this holiday, it doesnt mean these games would be out any sooner.
they were not rushed but yet devs were working on dev kits of x1 until early june of last year. Just look at all the features left out of x1 and even ps4 and tell me these things were not rushed to market.

they were not rushed but yet devs were working on dev kits of x1 until early june of last year. Just look at all the features left out of x1 and even ps4 and tell me these things were not rushed to market.
Ok. They werent rushed to the market.

Remember how slow and how many changes happened to 360 and ps3 in their life times. Were those rushed to the market too?

Seriously. This is par for the course. Anyone familiar with software development of any sort will tell you the same. The fact that some of these larger projects are getting pushed back is not unusual in the slightest. There's nothing insidious at play here, no conspiracy. It's business as usual. Larger software projects are notorious for being difficult to project timelines for. Delays just come with the territory.

This is an endemic issue with the game development industry in general. It doesn't really have much to do with the new hardware. By all accounts both systems are easier to develop for than their predecessors. New hardware is not to blame for these recent delays. It's just the nature of such large-scale software projects, and a general issue with plotting releases for such complicated projects. It's something the game industry in general is still trying to come to terms with.

yeah I don't think the consoles were rushed. Also, you can tell a lot of people online don't remember consoles at launch, because of all the complaining about the games. The first year is always slow and so far this gen has better games too. 

Here's the 360's launch titles:

Amped 3
Call of Duty 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
GUN
Kameo: Elements of Power
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Project Gotham Racing 3
Quake 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

and the ps3's launch games:

Call of Duty 3
Genji: Days of the Blade
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
Need for Speed: Carbon
NBA 07
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

The first year is always slow and so far this gen has better games too.
Very true. The first year of the PS2 was an embarrassment, but that system went on to be one of the best selling systems in history, with one of the most expansive and impressive selections of exclusive titles. We're honestly lucky to be getting so many solid titles so soon out of the gate.

I find it shocking that so many people seem to have forgotten the hardware issues of the 360. Compared to their previous console launch, the XBox One looks like a champ for Microsoft. You have to be spoiled rotten not to notice the difference, it's like night and day. The XBox One is stable with a failure rate in keeping with most commercial electronics. That alone puts it way ahead of the 360. It already has games on it that run appreciatively better than their previous-gen counterparts, without noticeable bugs all over the place.

While the current hardware transition isn't nearly as impressive as those of the past, it's also considerably more polished and stable. All the companies in question have a lot more experience under their belts, and a lot more competition to keep them lean and hungry.

This is an endemic issue with the game development industry in general. It doesn't really have much to do with the new hardware. By all accounts both systems are easier to develop for than their predecessors. New hardware is not to blame for these recent delays. It's just the nature of such large-scale software projects, and a general issue with plotting releases for such complicated projects. It's something the game industry in general is still trying to come to terms with.
I think with the ease and flexibility of getting into a 3D engine fast, before most of the game is even made, isn't helping this dilemna. Look at Ubisoft's Watch Dogs and The Division for examples.

Quantum Break was delayed until 2015 per Remedy as you can read here.  I know it's a big time shocker but some in this thread really thought it was coming this year.

Edit oops I should have read above, was way late on this.

I have to disagree with you about the systems being rushed. This is purely my guess but I would expect, with a hardware product of the size of the x1 and ps4, it would be pretty hard to rush the production and release. Of course, I do remember reading/hearing Microsoft was very surprised at the amount of work Sony had done on the PS4 when they revealed the console. If I remember correctly, Microsoft actually thought the PS4 was going to launch in 2014. I don't think that caused Microsoft to rush out the system but, for lack of better wording, punch it into high gear. Founding your argument on the fact that software issues are missing probably isn't too wise. I do agree that some basic functions were missing at launch but waiting to launch hardware so software can have every single feature imaginable is not feasible.

The consoles are organic items, they will change, grow, morph, and they will be quite different in ten years. Saying the console's OS lacks features probably isn't a good argument as to why they have been rushed, if they were rushed in the first placed.

I don't think the PS4 was rushed, however I do believe the Xbox One was. Sony really caught them off guard when in January 2013 Sony said they were going to let Microsoft make the first move only to then reveal the PS4 a month later. I think everything from the Xbox One reveal and poor messaging, to the incomplete OS and poorly optimised launch titles are a result of this. But it really doesn't matter as long as they continue to correct course.

Sony really caught them off guard when in January 2013 Sony said they were going to let Microsoft make the first move only to then reveal the PS4 a month later.
Obviously, I am a big Microsoft/Xbox fan but that was so legit. I think I laughed for about two months straight haha.

[quote name="Deader2818" post="11798690" timestamp="1401388616"]Ok. They werent rushed to the market.

Remember how slow and how many changes happened to 360 and ps3 in their life times. Were those rushed to the market too?[/quote]
I think the difference is the 360/PS3 weren't announced to have those features when the systems were revealed. And a lot of the lacking features were things that already existed on the systems prior.

Edit: I should add, I do feel the software was rushed on both systems, not hardware.

I don't think the XBox One was rushed. I just think that the previous heads of the Microsoft games division made some profoundly bone-headed design decisions for the system before they all jumped ship.

The good news for XBox fans is that most of these bone-headed decisions weren't system-breaking. While the XBox One and PS3 shared the same flawed all-in-one approach to their design, Microsoft was smart enough not to go all-in on exotic hardware. Thanks to the flexibility of the XBox One's hardware architecture, they are going to be able to adjust to market pressures. (as indeed they have been doing)

With the PS3, Sony shot themselves in the foot with a shotgun. With the XBox One, it's more like they used a 9mm pistol. It still hurts, but there's at least a chance of saving the foot, and the XBox One won't be limping for the rest of its life.

So there's a rumor going around that MS secured another third party exclusive and it will revealed at E3. That would be a huge megaton if true.

So there's a rumor going around that MS secured another third party exclusive and it will revealed at E3. That would be a huge megaton if true.
Yeah I'm curious who's making this. Originally it was said that Platinum Games has been working on an exclusive game, but this sounds like it's unrelated to that.

That would be a huge megaton if true.
It depends on the third party, the IP in question, and when it is going to be released. As we've seem from recent news, release dates are a fluid quantity. Announcing a game to come out in the next twelve months almost certainly means it will get delayed six to twelve months past that.

If they get the next Call of Duty game to be XBox One exclusive, yes, that would be a megaton.

If they get a completely new IP from a developer that isn't that well known, it COULD be an eventual megaton, but the announcement will barely be a stick of TNT. Games like that are an unknown quantity. They could blow up huge, Minecraft-style. But there's no real way to know that ahead of time.

Well I respectively disagree with people that say the system wasn't rushed and that it didn't have an impact on game development (solidified by all the delays). I myself am fine with the delays, have plenty of games to keep me occupied by then, and I'd rather play something quality rather than something like BF4 at launch.
Old article from last year:
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-xbox-one-cpu-gets-final-speed-boost-to-175-ghz

With the PS3, Sony shot themselves in the foot with a shotgun. With the XBox One, it's more like they used a 9mm pistol. It still hurts, but there's at least a chance of saving the foot, and the XBox One won't be limping for the rest of its life.
In what market? It might have hurt initial sales to price the PS3 so high and still take a loss on the hardware but including blu-ray was defintiely a good idea. I would have to say they got the last laugh seeing how they sold more consoles worldwide in a years less time... unless selling more consoles in less time is "limping"

I don't think any exclusive game at this point means a whole lot. Of course, I'm pretty much over COD so PS4 could get it exclusive and I wouldn't care one bit. Obviously I'm in the minority.

Get Madden exclusive and you have something.

quantum break delayed to 2015 will not be at e3 :( .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cwivOXBqw

game looks great and if it's anything like alien wake i can't wait to play this game.
This is actually good news. Even multiplatform wise Sept-Nov looks rapetacular.

You have: Lords of the RIngs Middle Earth, Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, House of Call of Duty, Dragon Age 3, The Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Battlefield, Destiny, Evolve, Batman Arkham Knight

Then you have the first party titles: Halo 2 HD with the possiblity of Halo 1-4 HD, Japanese lineup whatever it may be, Forza Horizon 2, D4, Sunset Overdrive and whatever else they show at E3.

2015 looking fantastic already with Halo 5, Witcher 3, Fable Legends and now Quantum Break. So 3 big exclusives already lined up for next year.

It's not a megaton or even good for the industry for Microsoft to pay for a multiplat game to not be on other platforms. What they should be doing is funding development of a game that may not have existed without those funds as is the story with Nintendo and Bayonetta 2. I think paying to keep IPs off of other platforms is frowned upon by the community these days no matter who does it whether it's Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo.

In what market? It might have hurt initial sales to price the PS3 so high and still take a loss on the hardware but including blu-ray was defintiely a good idea. I would have to say they got the last laugh seeing how they sold more consoles worldwide in a years less time... unless selling more consoles in less time is "limping"
They sold the hardware at a significant loss, and they haven't broken 80 million in sales, despite being on the market for more than seven years. That includes numerous price drops and three major hardware revisions.

The Playstation 2 sold 155 million units.

In a single system transition Sony went from being the undisputed kings of the industry to floundering behind both Microsoft and Nintendo. And they still haven't caught up. The PS3 was a bloodbath. Sony sauntered into that launch thinking they were going to own the world a third time, and instead got a steel shovel to the face. Even if Blu-Ray did bolster sales, and there is little evidence to suggest that it did, it wasn't nearly enough. Sony launched the PS3 at the very height of their arrogance, and paid dearly for it. They threw open the doors and made it possible for Microsoft and Nintendo to rally.

The biggest problem for the XBox One right now is that they are facing a very different Sony. Right now we're seeing a Sony that is much more lean and aggressive. And this attitude shows in the design of the PS4. Sony took their own glaring mistakes to heart, and have built a system that is far more streamlined and focused.

They sold the hardware at a significant loss, and they haven't broken 80 million in sales, despite being on the market for more than seven years. That includes numerous price drops and three major hardware revisions.
Not sure where you got your numbers, but PlayStation 3 surpassed 80 million last year, as can be seen in this article here, and currently leads over the 360 in total worldwide sales which it achieved in less time on the market. But in comparison to the PS2 it can definitely be viewed as a failure. With that said we need to keep the topic on Xbox One.

[quote name="Richard Kain" post="11800577" timestamp="1401428105"]They sold the hardware at a significant loss, and they haven't broken 80 million in sales, despite being on the market for more than seven years. That includes numerous price drops and three major hardware revisions.

The Playstation 2 sold 155 million units.

In a single system transition Sony went from being the undisputed kings of the industry to floundering behind both Microsoft and Nintendo. And they still haven't caught up. The PS3 was a bloodbath. Sony sauntered into that launch thinking they were going to own the world a third time, and instead got a steel shovel to the face. Even if Blu-Ray did bolster sales, and there is little evidence to suggest that it did, it wasn't nearly enough. Sony launched the PS3 at the very height of their arrogance, and paid dearly for it. They threw open the doors and made it possible for Microsoft and Nintendo to rally.

The biggest problem for the XBox One right now is that they are facing a very different Sony. Right now we're seeing a Sony that is much more lean and aggressive. And this attitude shows in the design of the PS4. Sony took their own glaring mistakes to heart, and have built a system that is far more streamlined and focused.[/quote]
What's your point? You type a lot of buzzwords as fluff. What exactly is more streamline and focused? And if you just say it is built for gamers than you have bought into the marketing hype. The 360 was easier to develop for, had features Sony could never get working on PS3 (cross game chat, for example), a more robust online system, and a lead in the market yet the PS3 still caught up in sales and eventually passed them. Anything is possible when it comes to business and to call it over when the systems have only been out for a few months is ludicrous.

I guess rushed is a relative word. 

Remember years ago sources were saying how Sony was trying to learn from the PS3 launch mistake and ensure that they released the PS4 before Xbone. Then for awhile, it went the other way.  For them to have both released within 2 weeks of each other just looks like both companies rushing to meet market expectations.  I can't remember what articles were linked but on GAF people were pointing out that the PS4 specs were originally 4GB of RAM instead of the current 8GB.  It wasn't until just before their reveal that they were able to acquire 8GB.  A lot of things changed in a relatively short amount of time. 

It's not a megaton or even good for the industry for Microsoft to pay for a multiplat game to not be on other platforms. What they should be doing is funding development of a game that may not have existed without those funds as is the story with Nintendo and Bayonetta 2. I think paying to keep IPs off of other platforms is frowned upon by the community these days no matter who does it whether it's Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo.
They saved titanfall from being dropped by ea so they did do that like Nintendo did.

Not sure where you got your numbers, but PlayStation 3 surpassed 80 million last year, as can be seen in this article here, and currently leads over the 360 in total worldwide sales which it achieved in less time on the market. But in comparison to the PS2 it can definitely be viewed as a failure. With that said we need to keep the topic on Xbox One.
It took Sony 8 years to catch up with a competitor that they trounced previously. With the Playstation 2 they outsold both their competitors combined by a factor of three. It took them 8 years to match the 360, and they STILL haven't outsold the Wii. They went from being the overwhelmingly dominant force in the industry to breaking even. Anyone thinking that the PS3 was a success for Sony is kidding themselves. A viable system, yes. But a success? Not compared to where they had been.

I simply use this as a comparison to Microsoft's hubris with the XBox One, and some of the design mistakes that they made with it. A solid brand and previous growth is no guarantee of success. The most backwards, idiotic move they made with the XBox One was not the Kinect, but rather the over-emphasis on catering to a U.S. audience. They designed the system for U.S. media services, most of which are becoming obsolete anyway.

This is only compounded by the PS3 comparisons you bring up. The only reason Sony was able to even catch up with the 360 in overall sales is because of the international market. Sony has always had a stronger presence than Microsoft in Asia and Europe. Doubling-down on the U.S. market might seem reasonable, given its relative size. But it is proving to be a mistake. Now Microsoft's biggest challenge is going to be re-positioning the XBox One to be more appealing to an international market.

And this shift in strategy is going to be more difficult because Sony isn't making the same mistakes they did last time.

What's your point? You type a lot of buzzwords as fluff. What exactly is more streamline and focused? And if you just say it is built for gamers than you have bought into the marketing hype. The 360 was easier to develop for, had features Sony could never get working on PS3 (cross game chat, for example), a more robust online system, and a lead in the market yet the PS3 still caught up in sales and eventually passed them. Anything is possible when it comes to business and to call it over when the systems have only been out for a few months is ludicrous.
Streamlined and focused=it's more powerful and launched cheaper than the competition and they're already selling it at a profit per unit sold. They learned from the big losses they took on PS3. Also they have done a great job keeping the marketing and message focused on gaming and not the non-gaming features. The movie focus they had with bluray in the ps3 rubbed a lot of gamers the wrong way, just like MS's focus on the TV stuff did with their reveal last year.

All that's moot now since MS has price parity in a week or so and the messaging is game focused and much better overall since Spencer took over. Now it's shaping up to be a close battle in the US and a great gen with a lot of great games on both platforms.

They saved titanfall from being dropped by ea so they did do that like Nintendo did.
Sorry but this is complete nonsense. EA wasn't going to let a new ip from the makers of COD not be made or funded. I can't believe people actually bought into that garbage. This was just more damage control for what I said above that the community now frowns on paying for multiplats to not be on systems which is exactly what Microsoft did with Titanfall.

Sorry but this is complete nonsense. EA wasn't going to let a new ip from the makers of COD not be made or funded. I can't believe people actually bought into that garbage. This was just more damage control for what I said above that the community now frowns on paying for multiplats to not be on systems which is exactly what Microsoft did with Titanfall.
Did you read The Final Hours of Titanfall?

Did you read The Final Hours of Titanfall?
I haven't, but maybe I should before making comments like I did. I just find it hard to believe that game was not going to exist without Microsoft's money, I doubt they were the only ones who saw value in the IP, but again I should really read that piece before commenting.

I always hear people make the claim that Microsoft does that but I have never seen or heard any evidence of it actually happening. Of course it's completely possible and I wouldn't necessarily be surprised but some actual proof would be nice. As opposed to the community's die hard belief that Microsoft paid to keep Titanfall off of other platforms, like TimboSliceGB stated, Microsoft actually funded the development and it's only because of Microsoft that Titanfall is a game today.

[quote name="RiPPn" post="11801226" timestamp="1401463306"]I haven't, but maybe I should before making comments like I did. I just find it hard to believe that game was not going to exist without Microsoft's money, I doubt they were the only ones who saw value in the IP, but again I should really read that piece before commenting.[/quote]
In the piece Respawn said EA wasn't going to further fund development. They approached Sony and Microsoft for funding. Sony passed. Games that take a long time in development get canceled all the time. Why is it so hard to believe EA wanted to cut their losses if it didn't look like they would see a return?

In the piece Respawn said EA wasn't going to further fund development. They approached Sony and Microsoft for funding. Sony passed. Games that take a long time in development get canceled all the time. Why is it so hard to believe EA wanted to cut their losses if it didn't look like they would see a return?
I guess because EA has been looking for an ip to compete with cod for years now and they have the cod creators in their back pocket. Did that piece say when Microsoft stepped in and provided funding? I have to think if Microsoft saw value in the IP at the stage when they funded it, then anyone with an eye for what looks like a potentially successful IP would also have seen this like the bigwigs at EA. I guess that's what's hard to believe, that "only" Microsoft saw value in the IP where no one else did. Also wasn't there news Sony wanted to also contribute but didn't want to reveal the specs of the PS4 at the time but were willing to do so if they put the IP on the Vita? I don't know just seems like it would have been shopped around until funded, hell it might have even landed on kickstarter. But I really need to read that piece.

so your saying all the articles on the issue and jeff keely fantastic mini book on the dev of titanfall is all FALSE? you sir are the one drinking the koolaid. Plus EA don't own respawn they just gave money to help them start a game and agreed to publish that game. You are correct sony did not pass on the game they just did not want to spill the beans on ps4 info and wanted the game on vita which was never going to happen. I think ms seen value in titanfall because they know the fps lovers are one of their biggest group of players on xbox systems.

The way titanfall numbers have crashed since launch im starting to wonder if we even get a 2nd titanfall and if we do i hope we get legit game not a half A** job with content.

so your saying all the articles on the issue and jeff keely fantastic mini book on the dev of titanfall is all FALSE? you sir are the one drinking the koolaid. Plus EA don't own respawn they just gave money to help them start a game and agreed to publish that game. You are correct sony did not pass on the game they just did not want to spill the beans on ps4 info and wanted the game on vita which was never going to happen. I think ms seen value in titanfall because they know the fps lovers are one of their biggest group of players on xbox systems.

The way titanfall numbers have crashed since launch im starting to wonder if we even get a 2nd titanfall and if we do i hope we get legit game not a half A** job with content.
Titanfall was the best selling game last month and that was due to the huge install base of the 360. Game isnt doing well for X1 like they had hoped but its doing very well for 360.

Titanfall was the best selling game last month and that was due to the huge install base of the 360. Game isnt doing well for X1 like they had hoped but its doing very well for 360.
Infamous Second Son sold better than Titanfall on Xbox One despite not making the Top 10, so it seems like anybody that had an Xbox One just for Titanfall got it and that's about all that wanted it there. It'll be dependent on how much numbers improve for Xbox One as a whole and how many of those new people want Titanfall since there are two other ways to get it without buying a $400 device.

[quote name="TimboSliceGB" post="11801462" timestamp="1401469408"]so your saying all the articles on the issue and jeff keely fantastic mini book on the dev of titanfall is all FALSE? you sir are the one drinking the koolaid. Plus EA don't own respawn they just gave money to help them start a game and agreed to publish that game. You are correct sony did not pass on the game they just did not want to spill the beans on ps4 info and wanted the game on vita which was never going to happen. I think ms seen value in titanfall because they know the fps lovers are one of their biggest group of players on xbox systems.

The way titanfall numbers have crashed since launch im starting to wonder if we even get a 2nd titanfall and if we do i hope we get legit game not a half A** job with content.[/quote] I don't know if it was in that article as well, but I also believe Respawn mentioned that Sony wouldn't provide dedicated servers and Microsoft would.

bread's done
Back