You needn't play at war for General Gaming -- Thread 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
halo halo halo halo halo

guess we have this to look forward to for the next couple weeks :) I loved the beta, but I'll pick it up when I re-buy a 360 for NG2 (or get the PC version, whichever happens first)

Been playing Melty Blood AC revB, FEAR, HL2, and Oblivion off and on over the weekend to get my card running right. Finally got my graphics card adjusted and yeah-- there's no way the 360 versions of these games are performing on par with their PC counterparts. I could care less what reviewers say-- Oblivion fucking DIPS to 60 fps when I'm outside :rofl: Yes, that's with Vsync off and it dips to 40 in towns-- but I also have all the high quality texture packs installed as well. it's just not even fair to compare :)

Just started playing Ninety Nine Nights and Forza 2 this weekend.

N3 is quite enjoyable although it is a bit repetetive, could have done with a few mid-level checkpoints as well, I know some may say it would make the game too easy, but when gameplay is basically doing the same thing over and over, you need checkpoints to stem the frustration a bit IMO.

Forza 2 is a lot better than the demo suggested, I was pleasantly surprised with it, can see me putting a good amount of time into it. Also knocked up a quick MST3K car, it wasn't great but art and design are not my strong points :)

[quote name='jer7583']Yeah, only stupid non real gamer 15 year olds play halo. It can't possibly be a quality series that anybody can enjoy.

I hate the gamer backlash against things popular just because they're popular. Just because frat boys and teenagers play halo doesn't make it not okay to like halo. Really!

I guess I just don't understand the idea of saying something like "I don't even want to acknolwledge halo" because the message serves NO purpose other than to try to make yourself look like you're above all that. You couldn't possibly like halo because that's just too pedestrian.. how droll.

You can't deny the quality and amount of talent that goes into each of Bungie's games. (except Oni) They're not some EA cash cow churning out rehashes every year, they spend a good 3 years on a quality title. If it fits with your personal preferences or not, it's foolish not to respect the halo series' quality.

And as for the developer? I don't know many who are nearly as approachable and close with their fans. The weekly updates, the podcasts, their members post publicly in forums like NeoGAF, and make plenty of appearances. They're not arrogant about their product, nobody's forcing you to pay anything more than $60 for their game. I see NO basis for hate other than elitism. And that just makes you look like an ass.[/quote]
We don't agree on very many things but this we do. Great post.

I don't hate Halo because it's popular or anything like that. Actually, it's kind of obnoxious, because if you legitimately think the game is crap, you can't say that it is without a bunch of people being like "nuh uh, WTF DO YOU KNOW FAGGIT." After playing stuff like Far Cry back in 2004 though, I remember it being impossible to enjoy Halo 2's single player even a little. Multiplayer had a lot of things that annoyed me in H2 as well, but I did like Halo 1's multiplayer a lot way back. Not enough for me to buy Halo 3, but, yeah. Oh, and Halo 1's single player is still trash, and always will be. Even on co-op. Bungie can't do level design worth shit.

What have I been playing... hmm

Metroid Prime 3 - Didn't really like it the first time I tried it. Found out my Wii's sensitivity was kinda weird and then the game seemed to immediately control better after I changed that in the system settings. Started the game over and loved every fuckin' minute of it. I'm near the end now, I think. Clock reads 10 hours or so, so maybe not.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Played a bit of the beta and it has potential. Definitely feels like Battlefield 2, in a good way. Not super-impressed by it, but it's fun. Definitely won't measure up to UT3 though.

Melty Blood AC Rev. B - It's still awesome.

King of Fighters XI - It's still awesome.

Fatal Fury Special (Demo) - fuckin' awful. Seriously. I remember all of SNK's older games sucking horribly, but jeez.

Uhm... oh, go buy KOF XI and NGBC when they come out in the US.

[quote name='jer7583']Yeah, only stupid non real gamer 15 year olds play halo. It can't possibly be a quality series that anybody can enjoy.

I hate the gamer backlash against things popular just because they're popular. Just because frat boys and teenagers play halo doesn't make it not okay to like halo. Really!

I guess I just don't understand the idea of saying something like "I don't even want to acknolwledge halo" because the message serves NO purpose other than to try to make yourself look like you're above all that. You couldn't possibly like halo because that's just too pedestrian.. how droll.

You can't deny the quality and amount of talent that goes into each of Bungie's games. (except Oni) They're not some EA cash cow churning out rehashes every year, they spend a good 3 years on a quality title. If it fits with your personal preferences or not, it's foolish not to respect the halo series' quality.

And as for the developer? I don't know many who are nearly as approachable and close with their fans. The weekly updates, the podcasts, their members post publicly in forums like NeoGAF, and make plenty of appearances. They're not arrogant about their product, nobody's forcing you to pay anything more than $60 for their game. I see NO basis for hate other than elitism. And that just makes you look like an ass.[/QUOTE]I just want DDR SuperNOVA 2 on that same day.

I'm not a big Halo fan, but that has nothing to do with it being popular (well, a little, but like 5%). The main reason has to do with my interests in FPS being low.

[quote name='Chacrana']I don't hate Halo because it's popular or anything like that. Actually, it's kind of obnoxious, because if you legitimately think the game is crap, you can't say that it is without a bunch of people being like "nuh uh, WTF DO YOU KNOW FAGGIT." After playing stuff like Far Cry back in 2004 though, I remember it being impossible to enjoy Halo 2's single player even a little. Multiplayer had a lot of things that annoyed me in H2 as well, but I did like Halo 1's multiplayer a lot way back. Not enough for me to buy Halo 3, but, yeah. Oh, and Halo 1's single player is still trash, and always will be. Even on co-op. Bungie can't do level design worth shit.[/quote]

Now this opinion I can respect. You make some great points and I do agree with Halo1/2 single player mode. Although I really enjoyed both multi player wise with friends and that is why I buy the game. Halo 3 story mode does seem to be better so I hope it's better then the previous two Halos. Valid points Chacrana and you actually have a real reasons to not like it, beside it being popular which is a dumb fucking reason not to like a game. It's like saying Oh I hate Zelda, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid what ever because it's popular. Do you see how fucking idiotic that sounds? Okay you hate them and I'll play quality games while you play the un popular mediocre games such as Bullet Witch. :lol:

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Well it's his money so if he wants to buy all that shit he has the right to. I personally wouldn't have spent all that money on Halo stuff, but since he is a big fan apparently and wants to he has the right too. I don't think you should feel sorry for him though, thats just stupid.[/quote]

Thanks I guess, except I didn't really spend a lot of money--Halo3 console was pretty much all trade-in on stuff I no longer play and the original console itself. The Legendary is going to be $99.99 for me, more than a regular of course, but it's got lots of extras and I'm not paying the MSRP. Really folks, the out of pocket isn't that bad.

No explanation for the Halo Dew though. :lol:

Anyway back OT OTT, played more Forza2 last night as well. I love upgrading my cars, the game is just wonderful.

On the end of the spectrum, I tried Juiced 2 and I'm sorry to say it's not very good. The graphics are sub-par, and the controls are sloppy (yeah, even for an arcade game that supposedly mimics drifting). Deleted that demo not long after I downloaded it.

Super Puzzle Fighter is great! Too bad I suck. Damn Hsien Ko.

[quote name='Chacrana']I don't hate Halo because it's popular or anything like that. Actually, it's kind of obnoxious, because if you legitimately think the game is crap, you can't say that it is without a bunch of people being like "nuh uh, WTF DO YOU KNOW FAGGIT." After playing stuff like Far Cry back in 2004 though, I remember it being impossible to enjoy Halo 2's single player even a little. Multiplayer had a lot of things that annoyed me in H2 as well, but I did like Halo 1's multiplayer a lot way back. Not enough for me to buy Halo 3, but, yeah. Oh, and Halo 1's single player is still trash, and always will be. Even on co-op. Bungie can't do level design worth shit.[/QUOTE]
That is the exact thing that made me hate Halo.

I bought an Xbox a few years back just for Halo and wow, I couldn't have been more disappointed. I even gave Halo 2 a shot before selling my Xbox, but that was disappointing as well.

I guess I've always been more of a single player gamer, IF I was into multi-player more I bet I would have loved it, but I'm not and didn't feel like inviting 3 friends over every time I wanted to play it.

well, I think we can all agree to hate the PC port of DMC3. Does capcom hire their janitors to do pc ports or what? I really hope DMC4 isn't trash.

--no full screen option that I can find. only goes up to 800x600
--the RIGHT analog stick moves Dante. yeaaaah....

[quote name='Apossum']well, I think we can all agree to hate the PC port of DMC3. Does capcom hire their janitors to do pc ports or what? I really hope DMC4 isn't trash.

--the RIGHT analog stick moves Dante. yeaaaah....[/quote]

Ehhh..... I don't like that already.

[quote name='Apossum']well, I think we can all agree to hate the PC port of DMC3. Does capcom hire their janitors to do pc ports or what? I really hope DMC4 isn't trash.

--the RIGHT analog stick moves Dante. yeaaaah....[/quote]

No way to remap the controls, then? That does suck.

And as for the developer? I don't know many who are nearly as approachable and close with their fans. The weekly updates, the podcasts, their members post publicly in forums like NeoGAF, and make plenty of appearances. They're not arrogant about their product, nobody's forcing you to pay anything more than $60 for their game. I see NO basis for hate other than elitism. And that just makes you look like an ass.[/quote]

no. just no. I don't dislike halo because it's popular. I don't dislike halo because 15 year olds and college frat boys play it all the time. I dislike halo because I fail to see how it's being coined as one of the greatest fps of all time. I don't say what I say because I "try to be above the norm" I like certain horrible games just like the next guy.

And don't even start about "it's a guality series anyone can enjoy." quality my ass. Dynasty warrior games have more depth in their story than that shallow toilet bowl cliche they call a story in halo. last time I checked, the "zomg, aliens come to earth, must kill aliens and save earth" story line has been done a million times over. The ONLY thing I even acknowledge or respect about halo is the fact that is showed what an fps can be like on a console when done properly, and I congradulate bungie on that.

As far as it being a great fps, it's not, it's a great fps mechanic with a shotty run of the mill story and that's why it fails to me. I own halo 1, I own halo 2. they've sat in their boxes for over a year without being touched. why? because I've moved on to better fps games that deserve my time and money. I won't be picking up halo 3 anytime soon, I won't be playing it, and I sure won't be expecting a great finish to an already shot story. The only thing that's gong to make me interested in halo 3, is to see master chief die. which is what it seems like their building up to, and I hope it happens.

--the RIGHT analog stick moves Dante. yeaaaah....[/QUOTE]

I think DMC4 will be better because Capcom's emphasized that the game will be exactly the same on all three systems. And it was announced alongside the 360 version, so it's not like this is just an afterthought as is usually the case.

And back to the Halo thing -- yeah, I've always been a single player fan myself, which is largely why I can't stand the series. Yet, while I do enjoy multiplayer games from time to time, Halo 2 just felt... horribly planned out. I hated having the SMG from the start rather than the pistol or something that would give you a legitimate fighting chance, and none of the core gameplay changes in it really felt like they improved the game. The energy sword is stupid, too. Unless you're going to give me a legitimate attempt at melee combat, don't include a weapon like that and tell me it's a good idea. Okay, rant mode off.

I'll go play KOF XI now kthx. Need to learn to play Oswald again. Ah, how the mighty have fallen :cry:

I don't even know where to begin with that post.

All you've said is that it's horrible with nearly no basis for those statements. What's a "toilet bowl cliche" exactly?

You also missed some things if you think all that the story has is aliens vs humans. It does leave a lot of things to be figured out by the player. The more mysterious elements like the forerunners and where the halo rings came from, and the religious fanaticism of the covenant make it interesting to me. I really enjoyed the way they showed the covenant going into chaos and placing you alongside former enemies at the end of Halo 2. Plus the vehicle mechanics are like no other FPS, and being creative/playing with the AI makes replays feel fresh. I recently played through Halo 1 trying to avoid enemies more often and it made for a more hectic, fast paced game rather than picking each one off one by one, and it felt very different than any other time I'd played before.

I guess if you don't care about those things, it would seem boring. But wouldn't that go for any story? Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say that anyone with a wrestling avatar shouldn't be taken as the best judge of story/character in anything. That shit's repulsive to me. Not to mention those atlus pedololi baby game JRPGs. Plenty of criticisms to be leveled there. Like watching the same animation a thousand times over the course of a 50 hour game. Fantastic!

To Chacrana: Yeah, the SMG was annoying. Some later updates fixed that by adding BR starts, but it never really felt the same as the intense Pistol battles in halo 1. And I still hate the halo 2 grenades. They are more fun to bounce around corners, but I miss the nuclear explosions of the Halo 1 frag grenades.

[quote name='jer7583']I don't even know where to begin with that post.

All you've said is that it's horrible with nearly no basis for those statements. What's a "toilet bowl cliche" exactly?

You also missed some things if you think all that the story has is aliens vs humans. It does leave a lot of things to be figured out by the player. The more mysterious elements like the forerunners and where the halo rings came from, and the religious fanaticism of the covenant make it interesting to me. I really enjoyed the way they showed the covenant going into chaos and placing you alongside former enemies at the end of Halo 2. Plus the vehicle mechanics are like no other FPS, and being creative/playing with the AI makes replays feel fresh. I recently played through Halo 1 trying to avoid enemies more often and it made for a more hectic, fast paced game rather than picking each one off one by one, and it felt very different than any other time I'd played before.

I guess if you don't care about those things, it would seem boring. But wouldn't that go for any story? Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say that anyone with a wrestling avatar shouldn't be taken as the best judge of story/character in anything. That shit's repulsive to me. Not to mention those atlus pedololi baby game JRPGs. Plenty of criticisms to be leveled there. Like watching the same animation a thousand times over the course of a 50 hour game. Fantastic!

To Chacrana: Yeah, the SMG was annoying. Some later updates fixed that by adding BR starts, but it never really felt the same as the intense Pistol battles in halo 1. And I still hate the halo 2 grenades. They are more fun to bounce around corners, but I miss the nuclear explosions of the Halo 1 frag grenades.[/quote]

yes because the fact that I watch wrestling and enjoy the numerous amount of rpg's that atlus, I must be a singled minded retard that has no sense of what a good game is.

Look, you where saying in context that I hated halo because it's popular, when I expressed plainly that isn't the deriviative of why I hate this game. I hate it for the story, or the lack there of. The AI in the game wasn't that great. The enemies where downright retarded on the easiest difficulty, and only took more hits to kill on the hardest. I'm stopping there, I don't want to get into a huge argument over this, because it's the same reason I left a different widely known forum. I like CAG, I like the community, and I don't want to make enemies here. I'm dumb for arguing, and we all have our opnions, I hate halo, you like it. but in the end this is getting us no where but at eachother's throats.

Now, back on topic, I just realized how big a hit my wallets going to take at the end of october, here's my list to finish out the year hopefully:

Phoneix wright: trials and tribulations (10/23)
Disgaea: afternoon of darkness (10/30)
Dragon quest monsters: joker (11/6)
Fire pro wrestling returns (11/13)

wow. four weeks in a row of slid games. I can't wait, too bad my school schedule isn't going to agree with me.

[quote name='SL4IN']no. just no. I don't dislike halo because it's popular. I don't dislike halo because 15 year olds and college frat boys play it all the time. I dislike halo because I fail to see how it's being coined as one of the greatest fps of all time. I don't say what I say because I "try to be above the norm" I like certain horrible games just like the next guy.

And don't even start about "it's a guality series anyone can enjoy." quality my ass. Dynasty warrior games have more depth in their story than that shallow toilet bowl cliche they call a story in halo. last time I checked, the "zomg, aliens come to earth, must kill aliens and save earth" story line has been done a million times over. The ONLY thing I even acknowledge or respect about halo is the fact that is showed what an fps can be like on a console when done properly, and I congradulate bungie on that.

As far as it being a great fps, it's not, it's a great fps mechanic with a shotty run of the mill story and that's why it fails to me. I own halo 1, I own halo 2. they've sat in their boxes for over a year without being touched. why? because I've moved on to better fps games that deserve my time and money. I won't be picking up halo 3 anytime soon, I won't be playing it, and I sure won't be expecting a great finish to an already shot story. The only thing that's gong to make me interested in halo 3, is to see master chief die. which is what it seems like their building up to, and I hope it happens.[/QUOTE]Awesome post SL4IN. :D

Yeah, even I’d have to agree the DW series has a better storyline. I agree that it made FPS more accessible on consoles, because before, FPS use to be nearly PC exclusive (except Goldeneye and Perfect Dark). Even RPGs with mediocre storylines have a better story than Halo IMO.

QFT, I’d like to see Master Chief die too since he’s the most overrated character in video gaming. He lacks the emotional and personality many characters in RPGs have.

I got a lot to buy myself. I'm not 100% sure what I'll get next. I do know R&C Future is what I want most.

Dynasty Warriors? Honestly? It's one of those times in life where you just shake your head and walk away.

And my examples were more to prove the point that personal preference is different from quality.

I don't see how you can say anything with the words dynasty warriors in the title ever was high quality. Guilty pleasure? yes. Great series? no. You're defending a cookie cutter yearly release, repetitive series with unreadable character names.. wow.

Anyway I got project sylpheed in the mail today and it's got some promise. Awkward controls, but I love arcadey flight combat games. There aren't enough of those.

[quote name='jer7583']Dynasty Warriors? Honestly? It's one of those times in life where you just shake your head and walk away.

And my examples were more to prove the point that personal preference is different from quality.

I don't see how you can say anything with the words dynasty warriors in the title ever was high quality. Guilty pleasure? yes. Great series? no. You're defending a cookie cutter yearly release, repetitive series with unreadable character names.. wow.

Anyway I got project sylpheed in the mail today and it's got some promise. Awkward controls, but I love arcadey flight combat games. There aren't enough of those.[/QUOTE]DW owns. I absolutely love DW Gundam and play it daily. Then again, I'm a big Gundam and DW fan.

DW Gundam was painful to play. I love beat-em-ups and anime, but there wasn't a single aspect of DW Gundam that didn't feel shoddy.

[quote name='Chacrana']DW Gundam was painful to play. I love beat-em-ups and anime, but there wasn't a single aspect of DW Gundam that didn't feel shoddy.[/QUOTE]I thought it was the best beat-em-up in years. Gameplay was very smooth and the framerate is constant 60FPS. That's easily one of my favorite next gen games.

[quote name='Chacrana']DW Gundam was painful to play. I love beat-em-ups and anime, but there wasn't a single aspect of DW Gundam that didn't feel shoddy.[/quote]
Wrong! Smashing it into pieces was great fun! You let me down Chacrana, how could you forget that? :lol:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I thought it was the best beat-em-up in years. Gameplay was very smooth and the framerate is constant 60FPS. That's easily one of my favorite next gen games.[/QUOTE]

But the enemies just stand there. It looks incredibly stupid to have like 100 Zaku's just standing a foot away from each other and just letting you tear through them.

MUST. RESIST. TEMPTATION. TO. OWN. ARGUMENT . . .

You know what, fuck it, I'm really tired of squashing people in pointless arguments. So you guys have fun bitching about how awesome Halo 1 & 2 aren't. Me, I'll just be playing through the God of War III Demo Heavenly Sword.

Well, whenever I decide to stop watching Bleach long enough to play it ;)

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']We don't agree on very many things but this we do. Great post.[/QUOTE]

We don't agree on anything, except this :)

I brought Me and My Katamari to school today. I really downplayed the control complaints when it first came out, but after some real hands on time with it...I'm disappointed.

Is it worth picking up Monster Hunter Freedom if I'm buying the sequel soon? I mean are the transfer extras worth the effort of tracking down a used copy?

[quote name='terribledeli']I brought Me and My Katamari to school today. I really downplayed the control complaints when it first came out, but after some real hands on time with it...I'm disappointed.

Is it worth picking up Monster Hunter Freedom if I'm buying the sequel soon? I mean are the transfer extras worth the effort of tracking down a used copy?[/quote]

I would say yes, monster hunter freedom is a fantastic game, even if you are still buying the sequel soon.

Wow, I got a pleasant surprise in the mail just now--Drawn to Life!

From Family Video, no less. That was less than 5 days from the ship date, and given the complaints from the FV Heavenly Sword fiasco thread, that's quite an accomplishment.

Anyway, back OT OTT, I'll be posting my impressions on this game here or in the DtL "Official" thread later tonight after work and all the family obligations.

If I get a chance, I'll try and post whatever lame creations I can muster as well.

Edit: and my advice on Monster Hunter PSP is to just save up and buy the sequel. It's a good game, but you won't be missing anything really with the original, as the interface and travel options are more streamlined in MHF2.

[quote name='gunm']Wow, I got a pleasant surprise in the mail just now--Drawn to Life!

From Family Video, no less. That was less than 5 days from the ship date, and given the complaints from the FV Heavenly Sword fiasco thread, that's quite an accomplishment.

Anyway, back OT OTT, I'll be posting my impressions on this game here or in the DtL "Official" thread later tonight after work and all the family obligations.

If I get a chance, I'll try and post whatever lame creations I can muster as well.

Edit: and my advice on Monster Hunter PSP is to just save up and buy the sequel. It's a good game, but you won't be missing anything really with the original, as the interface and travel options are more streamlined in MHF2.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which, I gotta start playing my copy of MHF2. I've only ever played 10-15 minutes of the very first Monster Hunter on PS2 and I was all too impressed, but my friends have been bugging the hell out of me to play this.

so, weird story.

I'm working and this guy is the store and talking to me about dreamcast and ds stuff and everything and carrying on and I'm being nice and just listening to hime and trying to relate on whatever I can and then he's like "yeah, sega makes some weird games, did you ever play feel the magic?" and I said no, then he insisted that I must try it so he says he's going down to gamestop to get it for me and also says that it's no problem because he was going to get boktai down there anyway. So like 10 minutes later he comes back with it and gives it to me and tells me how good of game it is and how weird and quirky it is. So i'm like thanks abunch and everything and he's getting ready to leave and keeps telling me about how good boktai is and I tell him I've never played it, so then he insists that I keep the copy he bought. Now, i'm not one to just accept stuff for free, let alone ask for stuff from people I don't even know, but he INSISTS that I take both games and enjoy them, to then which he leaves. so I guess I have 2 new games to play tonight.

Dammit... I'm mad that I missed the Halo fighting. Quick, someone say something inflammatory while I'm still in the room. Anyway, I have to say this: I bought an Xbox a year after it came out to play PGR (because I loved MSR) and Halo (because it was supposed to be a good game). I beat Halo on normal, and was not impressed. It's utterly linear, several of the campaign levels are the same room over and over (epitomized by The Library and the control room that was so repetitive it needed arrows on the floor so you didn't get turned around), and half the campaign involves repeating those levels again.

Fast forward maybe a year, and someone on a forum I frequent suggested that to appreciate Halo, I should play it on Legendary. I took his advice, trudged through the campaign, and found him to be... extremely right. Everything clicked, and so many things that seemed wrong the first time around made a lot of sense. If the bickering was still going on, I'd like to list out the nuances that make Halo a good game. But suffice to say, I rather like the first Halo campaign, and if you want to like it too, I suggest you play it on Legendary.

Halo 2 campaign, not so much. I only played it on Heroic because I'm a fucking hypocrite, and the only things that I really remember are the moving platforms that screw with the auto aim, and that Brutes are suckers for dying by Needler. I love the multi-player, and am interested in Halo 3 mostly because of it.

Halo aside, I'm actually playing Viva Piñata incessantly. I've bought all the items to ward off baddies, so I can finally enjoy gardening in peace. I hope.

Regardless of difficulty, I just don't think the design is there. The levels suck, and the combat just doesn't feel intense. Maybe it's the lack of satisfying killing methods for the sadist in me, or maybe it's just that the fights got way too repetitive with nothing to break up the monotony, but I couldn't enjoy it even when I briefly tried Legendary.

I love Metroid Prime 3. I think I'll keep Prime 1 and 2 around to try after I beat it, see if I can pretend I like the controls enough to get into them. If not, off they go.

[quote name='SL4IN']so, weird story.

I'm working and this guy is the store and talking to me about dreamcast and ds stuff and everything and carrying on and I'm being nice and just listening to hime and trying to relate on whatever I can and then he's like "yeah, sega makes some weird games, did you ever play feel the magic?" and I said no, then he insisted that I must try it so he says he's going down to gamestop to get it for me and also says that it's no problem because he was going to get boktai down there anyway. So like 10 minutes later he comes back with it and gives it to me and tells me how good of game it is and how weird and quirky it is. So i'm like thanks abunch and everything and he's getting ready to leave and keeps telling me about how good boktai is and I tell him I've never played it, so then he insists that I keep the copy he bought. Now, i'm not one to just accept stuff for free, let alone ask for stuff from people I don't even know, but he INSISTS that I take both games and enjoy them, to then which he leaves. so I guess I have 2 new games to play tonight.[/QUOTE]

Kinda sounds like me. I usually give away cheaper, older titles to people.

So I've decided that slain likes nothing I like after he mentioned monster hunter being anything but a sleep aid. The first time I had to carry one of those damn eggs for a half hour and dropped it because a mosquito stung me I was done with that game forever.

And legendary really is where it's at with Halo. Heroic is the most fun/even challenge, but legendary really requires you to think every encounter through. The two weapon capacity really adds to the strategy too. An encounter is not the same if you go in with the AR and a pistol as if you go with a shotgun and a plasma rifle. New options open up and others become unusable. This and the crazy things that the AI will often do that surprise you make the game so replayable.

People say that there's all these suppossed PC FPS that surpass halo, and make it unplayable.. I mean things like system shock and half life 2 are awesome, but I don't see them negating halo's experience. Half Life 2 had some amazing situations (like ravenholm and the prison where you were setting up turrets) but I felt that game's environments weren't as open and things did tend to happen the same with each replay. The AI wasn't as dynamic, either, IMO. Most of System Shock/Deus Ex's value comes from the RPG elements/horror atmosphere and you can't really fault halo for not having those, it's not that kind of game.

Otherwise what do you have? Quake? Unreal? Battlefield? It's all multiplayer. Half Life 2 is the only FPS I can really think of that even comes close in polish and memorable experiences..

[quote name='jer7583']So I've decided that slain likes nothing I like after he mentioned monster hunter being anything but a sleep aid. The first time I had to carry one of those damn eggs for a half hour and dropped it because a mosquito stung me I was done with that game forever.

And legendary really is where it's at with Halo. Heroic is the most fun/even challenge, but legendary really requires you to think every encounter through. The two weapon capacity really adds to the strategy too. An encounter is not the same if you go in with the AR and a pistol as if you go with a shotgun and a plasma rifle. New options open up and others become unusable. This and the crazy things that the AI will often do that surprise you make the game so replayable.

People say that there's all these suppossed PC FPS that surpass halo, and make it unplayable.. I mean things like system shock and half life 2 are awesome, but I don't see them negating halo's experience. Half Life 2 had some amazing situations (like ravenholm and the prison where you were setting up turrets) but I felt that game's environments weren't as open and things did tend to happen the same with each replay. The AI wasn't as dynamic, either, IMO. Most of System Shock/Deus Ex's value comes from the RPG elements/horror atmosphere and you can't really fault halo for not having those, it's not that kind of game.

Otherwise what do you have? Quake? Unreal? Battlefield? It's all multiplayer. Half Life 2 is the only FPS I can really think of that even comes close in polish and memorable experiences..[/quote]

well everything anybody likes is completely opinion based. for single player fps, I like immensive experiences like bioshock and half life 2, which happen to be the only 2 shooters that I've played a single player game and enjoyed immensly, other than the original call of duty. for multiplayer, there's only 2 shooters I play, and that's day of defeat source and counter strike. But again, everyone has different tastes.

Just played through the Ratchet and Clank demo.

Nothing about it didn't scream "buy me on day 1" and I will, because I NEED it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I thought it was the best beat-em-up in years. Gameplay was very smooth and the framerate is constant 60FPS. That's easily one of my favorite next gen games.[/QUOTE]

Mana Knight has bad taste in games confirmed.

Maybe that explains all the sony love? ;)

Tomb Raider Legend is pretty damn good so far (I'm about an hour into it, just got to the first bike scene.) The action isn't the tightest, but it's fun. It's closer to Max Payne than, say, Stranglehold. The platforming is great! only complaint is that I have to use the keyboard for health packs (doesn't register the d-pad as seperate from the analog stick??)

as for Halo, I think I'll get halo 2 when it's about $10 for the PC version (which I imagine will be soon.) and once again, I'll probably play it once and put it down. I liked the feel of the Halo 3 beta much better than the MP in 2.

[quote name='whoknows']Just played through the Ratchet and Clank demo.

Nothing about it didn't scream "buy me on day 1" and I will, because I NEED it.[/quote]

Demo?

[quote name='whoknows']If you pre-order at Gamestop they give you a demo.

It's awesome.[/QUOTE]I badly want to play, but I decided I'll wait over 2 weeks for it, and play a more refined version. ;) Plus, I'll be able to get Ratchet cheaper somewhere else. And, I want to keep my streak going of not paying $60 for a game (Most I paid was $55 for DW Gundam on PS3).

[quote name='jer7583']Mana Knight has bad taste in games confirmed.

Maybe that explains all the sony love? ;)[/QUOTE]No I don't, just different from most. ;) If you want to laugh jer, maybe you should take a look at a certain thread started by me in off topic. ;) Well, DW Gundam is the 2nd best selling PS3/360 game in Japan, so it must be good too.

I just seriously love DW Gundam. I'm a huge fan of Gundam Wing especially and I just love playing as Heero. I'd like the game way more if it contained Gundam SEED. Hopefully, the next one has it. :)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I badly want to play, but I decided I'll wait over 2 weeks for it, and play a more refined version. ;) Plus, I'll be able to get Ratchet cheaper somewhere else. And, I want to keep my streak going of not paying $60 for a game (Most I paid was $55 for DW Gundam on PS3).[/QUOTE]
I think the one on PSN will be the same unless theres some new news that says otherwise.

It's good stuff though and I want it day 1 for sure. I like the people at the GS I pre-ordered at so it's not a big deal.

[quote name='whoknows']I think the one on PSN will be the same unless theres some new news that says otherwise.

It's good stuff though and I want it day 1 for sure. I like the people at the GS I pre-ordered at so it's not a big deal.[/QUOTE]I heard the demo on blu-ray came from earlier this year (sometime after GDC and before E3). The PSN demo is the E3 build, which was more refined in some areas I hear (such as a few of the problems people see, are removed). We'll see. Although, I do like collecting demos. :p

[quote name='whoknows']If you pre-order at Gamestop they give you a demo.

It's awesome.[/quote]

Nice, is it up there with UYA? Since that one is my favorite of the series, would love to know how it compares. Thanks for the info man, I probably wont pre-order it though, don't really see why I would have to quiet honestly.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Nice, is it up there with UYA? Since that one is my favorite of the series, would love to know how it compares. Thanks for the info man, I probably wont pre-order it though, don't really see why I would have to quiet honestly.[/QUOTE]
You pre-order if you want the demo, you can always go get your $5 back :p

And the demo is really good. Buildings are being destroyed around you. The gameplay is fun and reminds me why I like playing games.

Might be the best Ratchet game.

pre-ordered my copy of dragon quest monsters joker for the ds on amazon today for $34.99, which also qualified for free shipping, so I saved almost $10 off of retail!

[quote name='whoknows']You pre-order if you want the demo, you can always go get your $5 back :p

And the demo is really good. Buildings are being destroyed around you. The gameplay is fun and reminds me why I like playing games.

Might be the best Ratchet game.[/quote]

Awesome man just awesome I can't wait to get it! The R&C games have always been my favorite platforming games. It's great to know that this one (so far) hasn't disappointed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back