184 (100%)
The Last of Us special editions announced

Survival Edition
(retail; $79.99)
8405446329_0d7a0a3984_c.jpg
-Hardcover Artbook (170 pages)
-Steelbook case
-American Dreams #1 Comic
-Sight & Sounds DLC Pack (OST, dynamic theme, PSN avatars of Joel and Ellie)
-Naughty Dog sticker sheet
pre-order: Gamestop, Amazon

Post-Pandemic Edition
(retail; $159.99, exclusive to Gamestop)
8405446359_782c6b9a7b_c.jpg

-12" Premium Statue by Project Triforce
-Steelbook case
-Survival DLC Pack (Multiplayer bonuses, Bonus Joel & Ellie skins)
-Naughty Dog sticker sheet
pre-order: Gamestop

Ellie Edition
(retail; £64.98, [aprox. $103] UK only?)
LastOfUsEllieEditionPS3.jpg
-Canvas Wrap Packaging
-Mini Artbook
-Screen Print Effect Poster
-Ellie Dualshock 3 controller skin
-LittleBigPlanet Ellie sackboy costume
-Survival DLC Pack (Multiplayer bonuses, Bonus Joel & Ellie skins)
pre-order: GAME

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Uncharted 3 gets a steelbook and now Last of Us? Naughty Dog knows what we want from their collector's editions! I definitely want the survival edition for the steelbook and art book. Don't care about the multiplayer dlc. Seems odd that the game even has multiplayer.

The survival edition comes out to $59.99 from best buy for gamer unlocked members after the $20 reward certificate so I'll be getting it there.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']I love big boxy editions cause they drop in price due to space limitations.[/QUOTE]
pretty much spot on hopefully it is not super limited. might shell out the extra 20 though for the regular SE

[quote name='Soaper']Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are paying $80 for the statue.[/QUOTE]
Try $100. That edition doesn't even sport the art book, but everything else you'd get for the $80 edition.

The regular edition with $20 BB Reward Zone and price match is the way to go. If I want a statue maybe I will pick one up on ebay later. The art book looks really nice but I assume that edition will not be on sale within 60 days of launch.

If you get the collector edition are you able to price match if the regular game goes on sale? Like if it goes on sale for 40 than you get 20 bucks back or no?

[quote name='fantasyphil']If you get the collector edition are you able to price match if the regular game goes on sale? Like if it goes on sale for 40 than you get 20 bucks back or no?[/QUOTE]

Nope. The same SKU has to be on sale to get a PM at Best Buy.

$20 more for the Survival Edition? I will get it. Now the Gamestop overpriced crap can kiss my ass. I am running out of room for statues unless I get rid of some.

[quote name='$hady']Horrible CEs, is there a comic about this already or is it being done for the games release?[/QUOTE]

Wat? You mean just the $160 statue but no artbook version, or both?

[quote name='$hady']Horrible CEs, is there a comic about this already or is it being done for the games release?[/QUOTE]

Survival Edition is good. Heck I would pay $10 more for almost any game if it came with just a steelbook so the artbook is just a bonus for $10 more.

Naughty Dog must feel pretty good about this game though to have all these CEs. Uncharted was a new IP and did not have any CEs as far as I remember.

I'd prob. get the SE condition also. But just an off-topic question, what do you guys do with the original game artwork (and possibly game case, but assume that will be reused for other games) when games have the option to come with a steelbook version? I've always wonder that...

Only $20 more than the standard edition for a good CE. Definitely buying it.

Dunno anyone that would seriously buy the more expensive one, especially since you pay $80 more for a mini statue. Have a feeling there won't be too many produced though, so it may end up rare, and resellers might jump on the opportunity to grab one.

Definitely buying it - figure Amazon would sell the book for 26.xx. Too bad Best Buy doesn't seem to count the CE's towards their 20 dollar reward zone thing.

I really don't like the trend of 2 different special editions where the higher priced one is missing something from the lower priced one.

[quote name='jimmywolf13']i want get the SE from amazon but it not showing yet shame[/QUOTE]
same, and I just got done searching Amazon for it before reading your post.

[quote name='diddy310']Definitely buying it - figure Amazon would sell the book for 26.xx. Too bad Best Buy doesn't seem to count the CE's towards their 20 dollar reward zone thing.

I really don't like the trend of 2 different special editions where the higher priced one is missing something from the lower priced one.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they do.

I bought the Hardened edition of Black Ops 2 and I got the cert.

[quote name='StealOfADeal']Praying this ends up like Max Payne 3 CE!! I would HAVE to buy one for $20, but I'd pay $60 for this easy.[/QUOTE]

We can only hope. ;)

Following that blog link, they claim the statue is a $200 value (also of note, the art book will be sold separately for $40). Initially I was going to say that being a mild comic book collector, I've seen decent quality statues like these retail close to a $100 but I never would have thought $200. At that estimation, these things better be solid, and individually handpainted. (Probably a 'no' to both of those, however.)

Couldn't resist the post-pandemic edition. Steep but i've been looking forward to this game for so long and that statue looks to be amazing. I hope these are indeed limited unlike every other collector's edition out there:)

USA released Limited Edition software never holds its price, it just goes down because it's so bloated in the market...quality also sucks...both infamous and nathan drake statues were horrible quality for it's price. I mean...the freaking nendoroid puchi is better quality, by alot, and they are way cheaper.

The guy on Sony claims it's 200 dollars statue..yeah, selling at a lost...lol.

[quote name='djricekcn']USA released Limited Edition software never holds its price, it just goes down because it's so bloated in the market...quality also sucks...both infamous and nathan drake statues were horrible quality for it's price. I mean...the freaking nendoroid puchi is better quality, by alot, and they are way cheaper.

The guy on Sony claims it's 200 dollars statue..yeah, selling at a lost...lol.[/QUOTE]

Not all NA CEs fall in price. Look at the MGS HD Limited Edition. It's been at twice the MSRP in the 3rd party market since its launch.

Or even Mass Effect 2 CE.

Although MOST NA CEs fall very quickly in price, there are the rare few that don't.

yeah, that's what i kind of meant...majority drops in price...

I dont know about EU, but Japanese ones usually hold it's price and never cheaper (most of the time) because it is indeed limited, usually only enough for preorder and launch month, at least for MSRP

and MGSHD was great, the book was awesome.

Also....most "statues" that come in usa ones are horrible - poor quality. they are all deformed in some way or doesn't represent what it suppose to well..usually the face.

i go for $79.99 survival edition, that big box one will drop in price just like all others.

that walking dead was gamestop exclusive and was suppose to be very rare yet i see a lot of stores around me have them

i learned this the hard way just but the regular edition than down the road get the limited edition for a lot less

[quote name='cancerman1120']Survival Edition is good. Heck I would pay $10 more for almost any game if it came with just a steelbook so the artbook is just a bonus for $10 more.

Naughty Dog must feel pretty good about this game though to have all these CEs. Uncharted was a new IP and did not have any CEs as far as I remember.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 2 had a CE that was only given away and not sold at retail and those ended up selling on EBay for $2-3k. That's a reason why Uncharted 3 had a retail CE.

Definately getting the middle version (why didn't the middle version of Borderlands 2 come with a Steelbook, huh Gearbox?) to get the Steelbook and soundtrack.

For those wanting the GS-exclusive statue edition to drop in price, don't hold your breath. GS exclusive CE tend to hold their value and sell out before they can be clearanced, see ME 1, the Forza series, DoA 5, etc.

I'll be getting Survival Edition for sure, but the post-pandemic edition... why does it had to be GameStop exclusive only?! :(

[quote name='djricekcn']
I dont know about EU, but Japanese ones usually hold it's price and never cheaper (most of the time) because it is indeed limited, usually only enough for preorder and launch month, at least for MSRP
Also....most "statues" that come in usa ones are horrible - poor quality. they are all deformed in some way or doesn't represent what it suppose to well..usually the face.[/QUOTE]

This. Most USA statues don't use high-grade PVC like figures from Japan, and aren't quite as detailed imo. The only exception is the Batman statue from Arkham City CE, but that's made by Kotobukiya :/

Also,
Japanese CEs do also tend to fall in price. Everything on the shelves in the picture is discounted special editions from a Hobby-Off in Beppu, a small city very far away from Tokyo. Limitedness in Japan is more dependent on popularity than quantity.
phprr3r_XWAM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you look at the picture most of those are Bishojyo games, which is biggest in Japan but the demand of those games are still low....when say success....it's like them selling 25,000 copies or something cause they are so damn cheap to make.

At least from the ones I can see, they are niche stuff. I should've been more clear but I mean more towards the major crowd....

Like the Rockman 1-6 plus x7 goes for like 500USD average, about 65000yen in Japan...even after 1-6 already having a digital re-release. Metal Gear L.E.s are decently priced and valued as well (i actually liked that shagohad)

the one that was terrible was the Xenosaga 2, that's a legend in its own sense wwwww

what's up with all the GameStop exclusive steelbook and now CE

i wish the steelbook was different is should been a red one not a black one and that would nice if GameStop has a exclusive pre-order steelbook (maybe red one)

i buying both when it comes out

Last edited:
[quote name='HakaHina']
Also,
Japanese CEs do also tend to fall in price. Everything on the shelves in the picture is discounted special editions from a Hobby-Off in Beppu, a small city very far away from Tokyo. Limitedness in Japan is more dependent on popularity than quantity.
phprr3r_XWAM.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nintendo 64 had a special edition?

I want that statue, but not enough to drop 80 bucks. Will definitely get the survival edition. Maybe as a birthday present. Hmm

I've never bought a special edition of anything before, but the Survival Edition looks way cool and only $20 more. Will all retailers have this, specifically Target?

survival edition looks pretty neat, the post pandemic edition is way overpriced, seems like gamestop decided to hoarde all post pandemic edition and decided to flip them

Probably picking up the SE edition from Gamestop just so I can burn the rest of the credits I have still and get the regular edition from Best Buy for price matching.

Just a heads up - Amazon is offering the Sights & Sound DLC as a preorder bonus. That took the wind out of the SE for me. While I'm sure Naughty Dog will do great with this one I'm not inclined to plunk down the cash for a collectors edition of a new series (or I'm just coming up for excuses to save the money).

bread's done
Back