The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='elessar123']Wait, so will I be able to play a game on my NGP, and continue on my PS3? Is that what it means? That would be... well... orgasmic.[/QUOTE]

Well in the article it commented that Sony said they would not allow for simple ports to the NGP from the PS3, that the game has a reason to exist. That said though the way it made it sound was that developers may plan a unique version for the NGP that has connectivity to the PS3. Either way I am excited. I personally hope for a nice mix of both, games that are playable on NGP or on PS3 and games that we see a NGP version with a unique story designed at the same time as a PS3 version and they interact with each other.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Well in the article it commented that Sony said they would not allow for simple ports to the NGP from the PS3, that the game has a reason to exist. That said though the way it made it sound was that developers may plan a unique version for the NGP that has connectivity to the PS3. Either way I am excited. I personally hope for a nice mix of both, games that are playable on NGP or on PS3 and games that we see a NGP version with a unique story designed at the same time as a PS3 version and they interact with each other.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that sounds more like connecting the GBA to the Gamecube type system. Hope they would just have better transistions, even if it's for PSN games.

[quote name='elessar123']Damn, that sounds more like connecting the GBA to the Gamecube type system. Hope they would just have better transistions, even if it's for PSN games.[/QUOTE]

See I thought that the GBA to GC thing was less a bad idea and more a wasted oppurtinity. I have hoped ever since for a system that does more between console and handheld. Maybe we will actually see something worthwhile this time, I think the potential is at least there.

[quote name='dimeadz']Has Sony stated the size limit on the flash based cards?

I would hope that they go up to 16 gb for massive rpgs.[/QUOTE]
I'd guess the size would adjust to fit the software and to help keep production costs low but nothing official has been mentioned.

[quote name='dimeadz']Has Sony stated the size limit on the flash based cards?

I would hope that they go up to 16 gb for massive rpgs.[/QUOTE]
Not yet, but I don't see 16 GB being likely since most games on consoles don't even use up the 7 GB that an Xbox 360 disc allows and most NGP games won't even be that big. 4-8 GB would be perfect for the games you'll see along with not being too big for their download counterparts.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Well in the article it commented that Sony said they would not allow for simple ports to the NGP from the PS3, that the game has a reason to exist. [/quote]

That's lame/stupid. The reason for it to exist is the exact same as the reason for it to exist on the Playstation 3.

While there are weirdos who enjoy crap games on the go for some reason, I'm excited by a new 'big' game coming out simultaneously for the portables, just as I'm excited when the 'big' systems get a great 2D game.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's lame/stupid. The reason for it to exist is the exact same as the reason for it to exist on the Playstation 3.

While there are weirdos who enjoy crap games on the go for some reason, I'm excited by a new 'big' game coming out simultaneously for the portables, just as I'm excited when the 'big' systems get a great 2D game.[/QUOTE]
By "reason for it to exist" they mean some exclusive content/features that keeps it from being a lazy port.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not yet, but I don't see 16 GB being likely since most games on consoles don't even use up the 7 GB that an Xbox 360 disc allows and most NGP games won't even be that big. 4-8 GB would be perfect for the games you'll see along with not being too big for their download counterparts.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect huge just because that costs more. I'd be really curious about size though...I used to love when Nintendo Power said what size a game was. Wish they still did!

It would be easy to fill 16GB if it were available...granted most Xbox games fit in 6.8GB, but even still that's often with cutting stuff and really compressing the heck out of the video.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']By "reason for it to exist" they mean some exclusive content/features that keeps it from being a lazy port.[/QUOTE]

Which IMO is silly. Sure extra stuff is nice, but the point is having game x on system x. I mean there's no reason to ban "simple Xbox ports" to the Playstation OR the NGP.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Which IMO is silly. Sure extra stuff is nice, but the point is having game x on system x. I mean there's no reason to ban "simple Xbox ports" to the Playstation OR the NGP.[/QUOTE]
It's not about Xbox to NGP ports, but PSN to NGP ports since they're simplifying the certification process for cross-platform games to only need one submission for both versions than one for each. They want the NGP version to have some extra stuff so that it's not just a straight port, which is how a lot of the PSN to PSP ports (Super Stardust, Gravity Crash, PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe, and a few others) were handled.

The quote in question:
"'They want us to do cross-platform,' said the source, explaining that the submission process has been streamlined, with only a single submission required for a title on PSN and NGP. However, Sony is also insisting that it 'does not want exactly the same game' on NGP and PS3 -- there 'has to be a reason for the NGP title.' 'They want at least some kind of interactivity between the two versions with NGP-only extras.'"

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not yet, but I don't see 16 GB being likely since most games on consoles don't even use up the 7 GB that an Xbox 360 disc allows and most NGP games won't even be that big. 4-8 GB would be perfect for the games you'll see along with not being too big for their download counterparts.[/QUOTE]

We are not sure what type of compression software they are using for data.

I am sure 4-8gb will be the norm for this system.

One could only hope that a game like Morrowind could be on the NGP.

[quote name='dimeadz']We are not sure what type of compression software they are using for data.

I am sure 4-8gb will be the norm for this system.

One could only hope that a game like Morrowind could be on the NGP.[/QUOTE]

Aside possibly from storage issues Morrowind or Oblivion would presumably run on the NGP fine (which is pretty awesome to contemplate!)

I'm looking forward to stuff like Bioshock :whistle2:D

I just hope it still has 2D stuff too, since they seem to be weirdly lacking in 2D stuff for the 'big' consoles.

EDIT: Regarding 4-8GB, I was initially kind of assuming 1-2GB might be an early max...maybe I'll be wrong about that, but I was kind of thinking maybe early stuff would just match what the PSP has? Just because of storage costs?

One interesting thing...I've heard DLC will actually download and store on the cartridge itself potentially? What would be awesome with that is if it means the DLC no longer has activation...that it's just becomes a permanent part of the cartridge! THAT would be seriously cool (although I'm still kind of cold on DLC even if you take away activation).

[quote name='MSI Magus']See I thought that the GBA to GC thing was less a bad idea and more a wasted oppurtinity. I have hoped ever since for a system that does more between console and handheld. Maybe we will actually see something worthwhile this time, I think the potential is at least there.[/QUOTE]

It will never amount to much because most PS3 users will not also have a PSP2, and even among those who do, there's a pretty high likelyhood that many of them will be completely unaware of the feature, thus making the percentage who take advantage of it even lower. As such, development for such a feature will stall and then disappear completely. Heck, that didn't even work with the uber popular Gameboy Advance, let alone the uber expensive (presumably) PSP2.

EDIT: and I could add, look at the DS/Wii linking. That's also gone nowhere, and certainly a lot of people have Wii's and DS's, yet almost nothing has used that capability. Pokemon Battle Revolution and... what else? Nobody's developing that feature into games, not even Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfpup']One interesting thing...I've heard DLC will actually download and store on the cartridge itself potentially? What would be awesome with that is if it means the DLC no longer has activation...that it's just becomes a permanent part of the cartridge! THAT would be seriously cool (although I'm still kind of cold on DLC even if you take away activation).[/QUOTE]
The game cards have space for saves and DLC, which has been known since the announcement. As for the DLC itself, I'd imagine that it's tied to your PSN account and not stuck on the card. I don't know why you'd want it locked to the card.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
While there are weirdos who enjoy crap games on the go for some reason, I'm excited by a new 'big' game coming out simultaneously for the portables, just as I'm excited when the 'big' systems get a great 2D game.[/QUOTE]

This again :roll:. I took like 3 weeks off from reading about this stuff and you are still saying the same thing.

I know I'm not the only one - if a huge game comes out simultaneously for the PS3 and NGP, I know I'm going to get the PS3 version. Why the fuck would I want to play on a tiny screen (as nice as it may be) when I can play on a giant screen with nice sound? I mean, a $400 or so NGP system is sure as hell never leaving the house so the portability aspect is moot. I'd continue to take my DS on trips. So it is either sit on the couch and play a PS3 game or sit on the couch and play the same game on the NGP. Hmmm....

NGP games better be something different in at least some respect than their PS3 counterparts or I don't see the point.

What you call "crap" games some of us actually like - in that they can't be done on a console.

[quote name='io']This again :roll:. I took like 3 weeks off from reading about this stuff and you are still saying the same thing.

I know I'm not the only one - if a huge game comes out simultaneously for the PS3 and NGP, I know I'm going to get the PS3 version. Why the fuck would I want to play on a tiny screen (as nice as it may be) when I can play on a giant screen with nice sound? I mean, a $400 or so NGP system is sure as hell never leaving the house so the portability aspect is moot. I'd continue to take my DS on trips. So it is either sit on the couch and play a PS3 game or sit on the couch and play the same game on the NGP. Hmmm....

NGP games better be something different in at least some respect than their PS3 counterparts or I don't see the point.

What you call "crap" games some of us actually like - in that they can't be done on a console.[/QUOTE]

This again :roll: As I and others have pointed out it is useful for multiple reasons. First off people with a family. If you have a wife and kids there is a good chance someone is dominating the TV at any given moment. For some people you are lucky to get to use the TV till its late at night. Having a NGP this would not be an issue. You could easily play your games sitting on the couch with the wife and or kids.

Second people who have long ass commutes. Some people have to take a bus or train on a daily basis and for those people this could be awesome. Some people also travel for business a lot...you do not exactly lug your PS3 and a HDTV around with you when your away on business.

Third, people who get stuck at events with family often. Several times a year I get stuck going on a vacation I do not want to go on with people I do not want to go on it with. Then there is Christmas and other holidays as well as random get together. I really do not care for most of my own family, and my in laws are even worse. If the few family members that actually hold intelligent conversation are there I will talk with them, but often they have to work and id rather just head to the basement and "watch the kids" which means playing a HH game and every once and awhile pausing to break up a fight or clean up a spill. With my in laws outside 2 members of that family I do not even bother.

I am just going to stop here. Really all of us are different and I have heard people very excited about the NGPs ability to play these types of big hardcore games and I have heard just as many say what is the point. To each his own. Kind of funny I have to tell a mod that ;(

Just because the NGP can do near PS3 quality graphics doesn't mean that every single game will be a huge in-depth title. I'm sure it will have the same great games the current PSP has and some PSN titles. I really hope that they can run some PS3-only PSN titles, like Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, etc. I would love to play some of those games while I'm out and about. Also, don't forget the multi-touch screen; that means that there will be a ton of iPhone-like games on it. In fact, I would imagine any iPhone game could easily be ported to NGP.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The game cards have space for saves and DLC, which has been known since the announcement. As for the DLC itself, I'd imagine that it's tied to your PSN account and not stuck on the card. I don't know why you'd want it locked to the card.[/QUOTE]

To get around activation. Great from a consumer perspective at least.

[quote name='io']This again :roll:. I took like 3 weeks off from reading about this stuff and you are still saying the same thing.[/quote]

I don't know if I've posted much of anything since then. Guess you got lucky ;)

Looks like this was basically already addressed, but...I'm not getting it. If you just want different games because if it's ever the same game you won't buy it for a portable...well, sounds like you don't like portables or they don't fit in your life. That's fine, but doesn't really explain why you'd never buy a portable game if it's the same as on a 'big' system, but will if it's different.

[quote[What you call "crap" games some of us actually like - in that they can't be done on a console.[/QUOTE]

Like?

[quote name='MSI Magus']This again :roll: As I and others have pointed out it is useful for multiple reasons. First off people with a family. If you have a wife and kids there is a good chance someone is dominating the TV at any given moment. For some people you are lucky to get to use the TV till its late at night. Having a NGP this would not be an issue. You could easily play your games sitting on the couch with the wife and or kids.

Second people who have long ass commutes. Some people have to take a bus or train on a daily basis and for those people this could be awesome. Some people also travel for business a lot...you do not exactly lug your PS3 and a HDTV around with you when your away on business.

Third, people who get stuck at events with family often. Several times a year I get stuck going on a vacation I do not want to go on with people I do not want to go on it with. Then there is Christmas and other holidays as well as random get together. I really do not care for most of my own family, and my in laws are even worse. If the few family members that actually hold intelligent conversation are there I will talk with them, but often they have to work and id rather just head to the basement and "watch the kids" which means playing a HH game and every once and awhile pausing to break up a fight or clean up a spill. With my in laws outside 2 members of that family I do not even bother.

I am just going to stop here. Really all of us are different and I have heard people very excited about the NGPs ability to play these types of big hardcore games and I have heard just as many say what is the point. To each his own. Kind of funny I have to tell a mod that ;([/QUOTE]

My "this again" comment was directed solely at Wolfpup's continued bashing of those who want to play "unique" games on handhelds like the DS. Specifically: "While there are weirdos who enjoy crap games on the go for some reason".

I actually made the same point earlier (I forget which thread) that I actually may get into the big PS3-style games on the NGP for exactly what you said above: kids and wife monopolizing the TV. My wife and daughter like to watch netflix on the one TV, and my sons are always fighting over playing 360/PS3 on the other (of course they always want to play different things).

So, yeah, I may actually get into the NGP because of that and have said so very recently. It would only be out of necessity though ;).

I do travel for business too - would just prefer my DS for that. Like I said before, the NGP will seem too delicate/expensive for that just as the original PSP did when it first came out. That is my own opinion of course (but I guess I need to say this explicitly since you felt the need to tell me people feel differently about stuff :roll:). (As a side note, I also previously related the observations I made on my last business trip and I wouldn't overestimate the NGP's appeal with "businessmen". On my plane from PHX to ATL a few weeks ago, the vast majority of handheld devices being used were iPads. This was followed closely by iPhones/iPod Touches. I was the only person using a DS and I didn't see any PSPs).

Anyway, my whole comment was in response to the implication that people that like to play the DS only like "crap games on the go". I found that pretty offensive.

Examples: Picross, Picross 3D, the Prof. Layton games, "unique" RPG or adventure games like The World Ends With You and 999, etc... Those are the sorts of games I like to play when travelling - I wouldn't want a fully immersive PS3-style action game on the plane anyway as it would probably make me too sick and you have to take frequent breaks (drink cart, the people next to you going to the bathroom 10 times, etc) which would ruin that sort of experience. But yeah, for the couch at home when the wife/kids are doing other stuff, I'm probably going to get one.

In any case, I'm sure my experience with the NGP will be just like it was with the PSP when it first came out. I played the crap out of it for about 2-3 months because it was a pretty cool device at the time. But as time went on, I just found myself playing it less and less (even though I continue to buy games for it up to and including the new Tactics Ogre game).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']My "this again" comment was directed solely at Wolfpup's continued bashing of those who want to play "unique" games on handhelds like the DS. Specifically: "While there are weirdos who enjoy crap games on the go for some reason".

I actually made the same point earlier (I forget which thread) that I actually may get into the big PS3-style games on the NGP for exactly what you said above: kids and wife monopolizing the TV. My wife and daughter like to watch netflix on the one TV, and my sons are always fighting over playing 360/PS3 on the other (of course they always want to play different things).

So, yeah, I may actually get into the NGP because of that and have said so very recently. It would only be out of necessity though ;).

I do travel for business too - would just prefer my DS for that. Like I said before, the NGP will seem too delicate/expensive for that just as the original PSP did when it first came out. That is my own opinion of course (but I guess I need to say this explicitly since you felt the need to tell me people feel differently about stuff :roll:). (As a side note, I also previously related the observations I made on my last business trip and I wouldn't overestimate the NGP's appeal with "businessmen". On my plane from PHX to ATL a few weeks ago, the vast majority of handheld devices being used were iPads. This was followed closely by iPhones/iPod Touches. I was the only person using a DS and I didn't see any PSPs).

Anyway, my whole comment was in response to the implication that people that like to play the DS only like "crap games on the go". I found that pretty offensive.

Examples: Picross, Picross 3D, the Prof. Layton games, "unique" RPG or adventure games like The World Ends With You and 999, etc... Those are the sorts of games I like to play when travelling - I wouldn't want a fully immersive PS3-style action game on the plane anyway as it would probably make me too sick and you have to take frequent breaks (drink cart, the people next to you going to the bathroom 10 times, etc) which would ruin that sort of experience. But yeah, for the couch at home when the wife/kids are doing other stuff, I'm probably going to get one.

In any case, I'm sure my experience with the NGP will be just like it was with the PSP when it first came out. I played the crap out of it for about 2-3 months because it was a pretty cool device at the time. But as time went on, I just found myself playing it less and less (even though I continue to buy games for it up to and including the new Tactics Ogre game).[/QUOTE]

Understandable, though I would think responding to someone calling stuff crap by insulting what they enjoy is not the best method of debate(especially for a mod). I just took offense to your post because it seemed like you were trying to upset people who wanted a hardcore experience on the go. Personally I do not give a shit what type of experience I am getting on the go as long as its a good one. Honestly all I ever care about is getting my hands on as many good games as possible once I buy a system regardless of if they are hardcore games like Uncharted or simple and more casual games such as cut the rope, plants vs zombies or Costume Quest. Games are games.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Understandable, though I would think responding to someone calling stuff crap by insulting what they enjoy is not the best method of debate(especially for a mod). I just took offense to your post because it seemed like you were trying to upset people who wanted a hardcore experience on the go..[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? I don't think I insulted anyone there. I just said I wouldn't want a PS3-type game on a handheld IF the same game was available on the PS3 itself. I mean, I'd just always choose the PS3 version - that's all. It certainly isn't insulting that game type as clearly I play those sorts of games! The comment I was responding to, on the other hand, seemed to imply there was a whole "lesser" category of game that DS players enjoy... Yeah, I threw a fuck in there - maybe that was a bit over the top, so sorry for that. I just couldn't believe after a 2 week break from NGP news I saw the same thing posted again with no refutation from any other CAGs - so I had to do something about that. I may be a mod, but I have opinions too. I also tend to go off the handle when I see people even use the term "hardcore" - so I'm holding back on saying anything to you about that ;).

I'm still holding out hope that (in addition to standard game ports) there are unique NGP-only type games that for whatever reason can't be done on consoles. The PSP lacked that sort of thing to be sure. There are certainly lots of gizmos on this thing that could lead to unique games - we'll see how well they are utilized.

[quote name='io']Wow, really? I don't think I insulted anyone there. I just said I wouldn't want a PS3-type game on a handheld IF the same game was available on the PS3 itself. I mean, I'd just always choose the PS3 version - that's all. It certainly isn't insulting that game type as clearly I play those sorts of games! The comment I was responding to, on the other hand, seemed to imply there was a whole "lesser" category of game that DS players enjoy... Yeah, I threw a fuck in there - maybe that was a bit over the top, so sorry for that. I just couldn't believe after a 2 week break from NGP news I saw the same thing posted again with no refutation from any other CAGs - so I had to do something about that. I may be a mod, but I have opinions too ;). I also tend to go off the handle when I see people even use the term "hardcore gamer". That is such an incredibly stupid term.

I'm still holding out hope that (in addition to standard game ports) there are unique NGP-only type games that for whatever reason can't be done on consoles. The PSP lacked that sort of thing to be sure. There are certainly lots of gizmos on this thing that could lead to unique games - we'll see how well they are utilized.[/QUOTE]

It was more by starting your post with a roll of your eyes and a dismissive opening statement then going on to pile the whole thing with a sarcastic tone ;) No harm though. I know you were just upset at having games you love dismissed by wolf pup(who can be a bit aggressive). I agree on the whole hardcore games thing. Funny thing is that the terms are kind of reversed, if you only buy 3 or 4 games a year and they are all similar games...then what is hardcore about that? Meanwhile people who buy cut the rope, plants vs zombies and super meat boy buy them and dozens of others through the year and they are playing very niche games. Its always seemed to me that most of what we call casual is actually much more hardcore.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/03/sony-ngp-power

Wired has some new details from the NGP Panel and a much better video of Uncharted:
Sony is blurring the line between portable game consoles and larger consoles currently trapped inside TV cabinets.

With a high-resolution screen, a powerful processor and graphics card, and massive amounts of memory, the upcoming Sony NGP will be closer to the capabilities of a PC or PS3 than it is to Sony’s current portable, the PSP, according to a Sony executive speaking at the Game Developers Conference Wednesday.

The NGP’s 5-inch screen is substantially bigger than the PSP’s 4.3-inch screen, and has 4 times the resolution, or 960×544 pixels. That’s about midway between the PSP and the PS3, according to David Coombes, a platform designer for Sony Computer Entertainment America.

“People get choked up, they get tears in their eyes when they see that screen,” said Coombes.

Inside, there’s a 4-core, 32-bit ARM9 processor.

There’s also a PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU inside, which should deliver impressive video rendering. This is also a multi-core chip with the ability to dynamically load balance between its cores.

The NGP also includes some dedicated chips for media playback.

“It’s very similar to a modern PC” in terms of its processing power, said Coombes. And while Coombes wouldn’t state specifics about memory, he said it’s closer to the PS3 than to the PSP in terms of available RAM.

Games can be loaded via game cards with a capacity of either 2GB or 4GB,
giving developers lots of room to create huge, complicated software and datasets.

A big NGP game will take about 4GB, compared to around 9GB for a PS3 game. By contrast, Coombes said, a typical iPhone game occupies only 10MB. The point is that an NGP game can include a lot more data, making it potentially far more complicated, with richer graphics, more detailed and larger worlds, and so forth.

For big games, developers will be able to reuse a lot of assets from existing Xbox or PS3 games, Coombes said, although naturally models, shaders and textures will have to be simplified for the NGP.

A demo of Uncharted for the NGP showed a rich, complicated environment and a variety of ways to control the little man on the screen, from using the analog controls and buttons to swiping on-screen to make him climb from handhold to handhold or to throw enemies into the abysses below. (See below for video.)

Other features included in the NGP include a second analog stick, plus a 3-axis accelerometer and a 3-axis gyroscope, for 6 axes of motion sensitivity.

There’s a touchscreen on the front and also on the back, which you can manipulate with the fingers you’re using to hold the NGP. Both touchscreens support multitouch, and can register how hard you are pressing them as well. A quick demo with a developer from BigBig studios showed the rear touchscreen being used to deform a cartoon landscape to roll a ball around, while touching the front touchscreen changed the camera angle and position.

Like nearly every other portable device hitting the market this year, the NGP has a camera on the front and one on the back. The cameras are meant for game play, said Coombes.

“We need high frame rate, so we can get sharper images” for fast-moving game play. So the cameras are optimized for high-speed, low-light video, not for taking pictures.

Wi-Fi-only and 3G/Wi-Fi models will be available, although the final configurations are not yet settled. The 3G models will also include GPS support, although the Wi-Fi models can also do positioning via Skyhook Wireless, which uses data about Wi-Fi hotspot locations to get relatively accurate location information.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osydmR6CkZk

Here's a video of the NGP rotating on a display for a good idea of how looks in person:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9v6IQhw7iY

Without a built-in internal storage it should mean the NGP should cost less. And the game saves and patches are saved on the game cards themselves.

Yeah, it'll help price a bit. Surely they won't force you to buy a cellular modem though! That would be such a waste of money, at least in the U.S. where presumably hardly anyone will get that...although i suppose there are some super hardcore deathmatch people who would love to be able to play Call of Duty deathmatch anywhere. Could be cool for them.

Ooookay, that makes it even more random! Surely they'll sell one without it...I mean I can see putting in some flash in a heartbeat before including a cell modem...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Ooookay, that makes it even more random! Surely they'll sell one without it...I mean I can see putting in some flash in a heartbeat before including a cell modem...[/QUOTE]

Meh, I never understood releasing devices with and without the 3G chip. The chip and antenna should be under $10 to the BOM for the unit.

Maybe, but they sure add a lot of cost to devices that include them...could just be random mark up though. I'd just rather not have it.

They probably don't know or haven't decided yet, I bet. I kind of want to know just so I can get the whining people done with, who thought it was going to be $150 or $250 (if it's $400 or whatever), who act like that's super pricey and they'd just never buy anything like that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They'd have to know the price or they should not have made the machine in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Component prices are estimates. Production capacity and yields are estimates, as are conversion rates, what other companies can do, etc. They can be shooting for a particular price, but that may still all be in flux until closer to launch, or they may not feel there's a competitive advantage releasing the price now.

I've got $60 in Best Buy gc put aside. Hey it's a start.

I'm 95% sure that they will give us prices and everything else at E3. About 3 months to go!

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nope. Component prices are estimates. Production capacity and yields are estimates, as are conversion rates, what other companies can do, etc. They can be shooting for a particular price, but that may still all be in flux until closer to launch, or they may not feel there's a competitive advantage releasing the price now.[/QUOTE]
Really? I'm pretty sure that they have a good idea right now of the costs involved in production and how much they can get away with charging for the system. This isn't their first rodeo, so I don't see a way that they have no clue what this system will likely cost at launch.

[quote name='whoknows']So is this confirmed for Fall?

I need to start saving if it is.[/QUOTE]
No, not for America at least. I would expect early next year.

I think I read an interview that they built it around a price point. IMO It will cost more than the 3DS and I would budget $300, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them set it at $350 because people will pay more around the holiday season. Anything higher than that and they are shooting themselves in the foot (a Sony tradition)

And I'm angry that Nintendo gets to charge ridiculously high prices for ancient hardware.

$250 was a complete rip off for the Wii versus $500 or $400 for the Playstation/Xbox. $150 or whatever for the DS was a complete rip off versus $250 for the PSP. Even if the NGP costs $500, $250 will be a complete rip off for the 3DS, and it's a rip off next to the PSP, which as far as we know is 25% MORE powerful than the 3DS, but costs almost half the price.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And I'm angry that Nintendo gets to charge ridiculously high prices for ancient hardware.

$250 was a complete rip off for the Wii versus $500 or $400 for the Playstation/Xbox. $150 or whatever for the DS was a complete rip off versus $250 for the PSP. Even if the NGP costs $500, $250 will be a complete rip off for the 3DS, and it's a rip off next to the PSP, which as far as we know is 25% MORE powerful than the 3DS, but costs almost half the price.[/QUOTE]

Oh come now, that doesnt make a lick of sense, it is purely Sony and Microsoft's decision to build hardware with a high BoM and sell it at a loss and creep down to breaking even, as it is Nintendo's (long standing mind you) to have a lower BoM and sell for a modest gross profit.

Of course as a consumer I'm giddy when companies sell to me at a loss hoping to use the Gillette model, but I cant fault someone for deciding that makes for a tenuous business plan.

I dont understand the PSP comment, the 3DS appears to exceed the PSP in terms of specs almost across the board, but that is rather moot as of course games and the experience matter most...

Which reminds me, at $129 I may have to go and check out the PSP again... That cost may make the load times bearable.

[quote name='foltzie']Oh come now, that doesnt make a lick of sense, it is purely Sony and Microsoft's decision to build hardware with a high BoM and sell it at a loss and creep down to breaking even, as it is Nintendo's (long standing mind you) to have a lower BoM and sell for a modest gross profit.[/quote]

Yeah, but that's not my point, which is that Nintendo's last three consoles are overpriced compared with their competition, yet people complain about other system's prices.

I dont understand the PSP comment, the 3DS appears to exceed the PSP in terms of specs almost across the board

How so? From what we have now, the PSP is 25% more powerful. There's a chance the GPU (while it's also fixed function) can do some tricks the PSP's can't, but from what we actually know, the system is similar, but 25% slower, only sold for almost double the cost, and the same price the PSP went for 6 years ago.
EDIT: Oh, and of course because of the "3D", the 3DS has to fill more pixels despite having a 25% lower fill rate, making it worse yet.

but that is rather moot as of course games and the experience matter most...

Which obviously the PSP wins at this year. Long term though it may be necessary to get a 3DS like it is to get other Nintendo systems to have access to all the exclusives you want. Like can I pass up a Paper Mario game? I don't know :lol:

Which reminds me, at $129 I may have to go and check out the PSP again... That cost may make the load times bearable.

It's a rare game that has issues with load times, though I've heard there are some. I can't remember running in to any though.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Which obviously the PSP wins at this year. Long term though it may be necessary to get a 3DS like it is to get other Nintendo systems to have access to all the exclusives you want. Like can I pass up a Paper Mario game? I don't know :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but in that comparison, the DS Lite rules all.

However, I also cannot pass on a Mario RPG, heck, the portable Zelda OoT makes this a no brainer for me.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
It's a rare game that has issues with load times, though I've heard there are some. I can't remember running in to any though.[/QUOTE]

The last time I had a PSP Daxter and Twister Metal had annoying load times and played very poorly. Yes that is some time ago, but I've never gone back after returning that PSP.

Strictly personal preference mind you, I get annoyed at the time it takes Fruit Ninja to load.

Fortunately the NGP wont be hamstrung by UMD.

I didn't like Daxter (or any of the Jak games post J&D 1) but there shouldn't have been load issues in it. Don't know about Twisted Metal, though it was a launch game so it wouldn't shock me.

I've heard of some racing game though that maybe had 20 second loads on other systems and a minute on the PSP, from that first year.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And I'm angry that Nintendo gets to charge ridiculously high prices for ancient hardware.

$250 was a complete rip off for the Wii versus $500 or $400 for the Playstation/Xbox. $150 or whatever for the DS was a complete rip off versus $250 for the PSP. Even if the NGP costs $500, $250 will be a complete rip off for the 3DS, and it's a rip off next to the PSP, which as far as we know is 25% MORE powerful than the 3DS, but costs almost half the price.[/QUOTE]

First off as a developer, just because you have the newest and latest hardware doesn't mean shit. You can do amazing stuff on older hardware, if you have the skills to do it. The key is what you make with it. You wont get the latest shooter with older hardware but then again I don't buy Nintendo products for shooters ;).

Now to get back on topic, this is kinda of a shocker if it is indeed true. http://kotaku.com/#!5782436/ngp-to-be-priced-at-250-but-also-350

If it is indeed $250 I still wont buy one until they get exclusive portable games that isn't a direct console ripoff which is only what I see so far in the NGP. I don't hate the NGP, it's just I don't want to play the same games I do on PS3. No point in spending more money to play the same games.

bread's done
Back