The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sophita']I was just wondering if Chivalry was any fun after enjoying Mount and Blade multi.
.[/QUOTE]

Then you need War of the Roses.

Am I missing something or is there no way to download Chivalry for the free weekend without actually buying it?

I haven't done a free weekend game in a long time (since they're usually games I already own) but I thought the store page would act as if you owned the game and you could play/install right from the store page. I'm not seeing that. Have they changed how they do free weekends?

[quote name='zillionandnine']Am I missing something or is there no way to download Chivalry for the free weekend without actually buying it?

I haven't done a free weekend game in a long time (since they're usually games I already own) but I thought the store page would act as if you owned the game and you could play/install right from the store page. I'm not seeing that. Have they changed how they do free weekends?[/QUOTE]

Restart Steam and it will be in your library.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Am I missing something or is there no way to download Chivalry for the free weekend without actually buying it?
[/QUOTE]

On the little promo window there should be a "HERE" that is a hyperlink to download the game irrc the full sentence is, 'click "here(link)" to download the game.' Rather than going to the store page.

[quote name='Kaltic']Restart Steam and it will be in your library.[/QUOTE]

already restarted a couple times. I'll just give it some time, I guess...

[quote name='Sophita']On the little promo window there should be a "HERE" that is a hyperlink to download the game irrc the full sentence is, 'click "here(link)" to download the game.' Rather than going to the store page.[/QUOTE]

....Or not. This worked! Thank you!

[quote name='zillionandnine']already restarted a couple times. I'll just give it some time, I guess...[/QUOTE]

Guess it just works some of the time since that is what I did.

EDIT: Well it is Steam so something only working some of the time isn't too shocking.

I like it better when the free weekend game isn't added to your library. When it is, SteamGifts gathers that you own it, so people who put up the game for a drawing due to the discounted price end up having their entrants limited to those who lucked out with the timing of the auto-synch.

Eh, who am I kidding? I actually find the entire thing highly amusing.

[quote name='Eldredpe']
dtg_comingsoon.jpg

I have no interest in Cargo Commander, personally, but I thought I'd throw that up here.[/QUOTE]
Looking them up, they've made Velvet Assassin and Kung-Fu Strike, both of which were in previous Groupees bundles. Also made Stronghold 3, which is considered to be poor to awful, and Dementium II which is not out yet on PC.

[quote name='Flowette']Cargo Commander is surprisingly good. I'll do a proper-mini-sort-of-review if it gets bundled.[/QUOTE]

I've had a lot of fun with it. Even though its only been a couple months since I bought it at $2ish, I don't regret t showing up in a bundle. For those who worry about floaty controls, I'd look for a demo of this, but its definitely a fun little platformer.

[quote name='cranky2']Have wanted to try Chivalry and War Of The Roses. Glad I can demo one. :applause:[/QUOTE]
I was underwhelmed by chivalry. I'd heard lots of good things about it, but after playing for close to half an hour. I have little desire to go back and try it again.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I already have both so they don't peak my interest at all. I hope this isn't a sneak pique of how their deals will be until the summer sail.[/QUOTE]

I hate you guys =P

Guys I bought Terarria for $2.50 :) but I have a problem with it. I know this is not the right place to ask but as soon as someone reply to me, you can ignore my message. Well I installed the game and you know when you create a world another player appears. Well I was watching a Youtube video and that character is suppose to help you through tutorials when you talk to him. The problem is that I can't talk to him! I click on him and nothing happens... I deleted Terraria and downloaded it again but the same happens, I click the guy and he does not help me with any tutorial!!! He just keeps walking and jumping around... Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I wanna learn how to play Terraria from the game itself not by watching Youtube videos :/ thanks in advance.

[quote name='Terlan']I was underwhelmed by chivalry. I'd heard lots of good things about it, but after playing for close to half an hour. I have little desire to go back and try it again.[/QUOTE]

Half hour? I tried it for about three minutes and hated it absolutely. Wow, what a disappointment.

[quote name='Ashlee']Guys I bought Terarria for $2.50 :) but I have a problem with it. I know this is not the right place to ask but as soon as someone reply to me, you can ignore my message. Well I installed the game and you know when you create a world another player appears. Well I was watching a Youtube video and that character is suppose to help you through tutorials when you talk to him. The problem is that I can't talk to him! I click on him and nothing happens... I deleted Terraria and downloaded it again but the same happens, I click the guy and he does not help me with any tutorial!!! He just keeps walking and jumping around... Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I wanna learn how to play Terraria from the game itself not by watching Youtube videos :/ thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Never heard of this happening. You'll have a lot more luck by going to the terraria forums on steam or the official site.

[quote name='plft']Looking them up, they've made Velvet Assassin and Kung-Fu Strike, both of which were in previous Groupees bundles. Also made Stronghold 3, which is considered to be poor to awful, and Dementium II which is not out yet on PC.[/QUOTE]

Dementiu II is awesome, I must say

[quote name='Terlan']I was underwhelmed by chivalry. I'd heard lots of good things about it, but after playing for close to half an hour. I have little desire to go back and try it again.[/QUOTE]
I only played War of the Roses during the beta and did not like it that much, probably due to lag.

Chivalry on the other hand I have played for an hour and had no interest in returning to. About 3-4 weeks ago I played again and it has become one of my most playable games.

[quote name='Terlan']Never heard of this happening. You'll have a lot more luck by going to the terraria forums on steam or the official site.[/QUOTE]

Fail... I had to right click on him instead of left click... haha. Thanks for the help though :)

On topic, Why you guys say Miami Hotline is $5? It shows $10 for me at Amazon ):

[quote name='Ashlee']
On topic, Why you guys say Miami Hotline is $5? It shows $10 for me at Amazon ):[/QUOTE]

It's already back to regular price

[quote name='hal']It's already back to regular price[/QUOTE]

Glad I grabbed 3 more copies. :) I have little faith that any other good deals will come along in the next week. Or, at least good enough deals for me to use my remaining 5-6 coupons.

[quote name='jshackles']Glad I grabbed 3 more copies. :) I have little faith that any other good deals will come along in the next week. Or, at least good enough deals for me to use my remaining 5-6 coupons.[/QUOTE]

You are aware of the Microsoft Indie Arcade pack and the Microsoft Fable pack, right?

[quote name='Ashlee']Fail... I had to right click on him instead of left click... haha. Thanks for the help though :)

On topic, Why you guys say Miami Hotline is $5? It shows $10 for me at Amazon ):[/QUOTE]

It's $5 on Steam.

About 20 minutes here, So glad this was a free play weekend. :cry:

[quote name='Idiotekque']I'm not even sure Sims 2 has hit $5. >_>[/QUOTE]

Hm...

Does anyone know if you can play Sims 3 offline? I have the disc but the code is already registered on Origin to a friend, could I still install it and play it?

Also, Max Payne 3 for $10 after EC credit on Amazon. Robocop'd

I've played over 8hrs of Chivalry lol, got it for $9 during the Winter sale and I can't complain, love the game. *shrug*

[quote name='bob_793']Ended up getting the Sims 3. Wasn't it 10$ during the winter sale and people were going nuts about that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah $10 was a good price for it. I actually ended up just getting it and putting it in my inventory, gonna try and see if using the disc works this weekend.

[quote name='Eldredpe']You are aware of the Microsoft Indie Arcade pack and the Microsoft Fable pack, right?[/QUOTE]

I've heard of them, but have yet to find any details on them, upon Amazon or in the first post of the amazon thread. Links or info please? as it does sound quite nice.

Played Chivalry for about an hour. It's not bad but doesn't really offer any more than what you'd get out of Mount & Blade Warband multiplayer. A little more polish and weapons (including siege) but not that much difference.

[quote name='The End']Yup. They start on Sunday and run through Saturday. Presumably they won't extend the coupons through to the end of the week, so it would be a good idea to buy before the end of the month if you plan to use a coupon.

Here are the Microsoft offers again for those who might have forgotten:

Offer #1 is an Arcade bundle for $9.99 pre-coupon containing:
Deadlight
Toy Soldiers
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Iron Brigade
Mark of the Ninja

Offer #2 is a Fable bundle for $9.99 pre-coupon containing:
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Fable III
Plus Fable III DLC

Offer #3 is Age of Empires III Complete Collection for $9.99 pre-coupon

Additionally, all games will be available for 75% off. But they wont's be listed individually (besides AoE) on the EC list. So you wont be able to stack the coupons on the games outside of the bundles.[/QUOTE]

Amazon deals for the weekend.

Gamestop/Impulse has three Dungeons and Dragons packs on sale (two got added today) Yes you'll need both the GameStop App and
the Mark of the Beast.

Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection - $4.99 - (DRM-FREE) This is the same one that some CAGs missed at $5 on a GG Glitch Night (and was $7 on GG last Feb). These are the GOG'd versions of the classics, since they are the only versions that have been on digital download. N3UROP0D confims DRM-FREE status of the GS pack here.

• Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions [Average Metacritic: 91%] "...reigns supreme over every RPG currently available, and sets new standards for those to come" - PC Gamer
  • Icewind Dale 1 & 2 + Expansions [Average Metacritic 85%] "Once in a while, a game comes along that completely takes over your life. " - IGN
  • Planescape: Torment [Metacritic 91%] "Is it possible for a computer game to have the intellectual heft and emotional impact of a good book while remaining as captivating as a well-paced film? If so, the first candidate may well be Planescape: Torment. . " - New York Times
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil [Metacritic 71%] "A rock-solid RPG that faithfully re-creates a classic adventure." - Gamespy

D&D Anthology: Neverwinter Nights Complete - $7.49 (DRM: NWN1 is DRM-FREE confirmed by N3UROP0D Uncertain, NWN1 has SecuROM but removed in a later patch , NWN2 has SecuROM but unlimited activations? -- This is the best I could ascertain from research, see end of the post)

• Neverwinter Nights + 3 Expansion Packs [Metacritic 91%]
    “The last role-playing game you'll ever desire, and at last, the fulfillment of a genre“ – Computer Games Magazine
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 + 3 Expansions Packs [Metacritic 82%]
    “The amazing single player installation improves on the original game in nearly every way imaginable - without breaking anything what has gone before. Even for players who have never hurled a 20-sided die in anger, Neverwinter Nights 2 is not to be missed. “ – Games Radar

D&D Ultimate Pack - $11.24 (Both of the packs above, save $1.25) This price was live yesterday as well.

NWN1 Complete has been on GOG for some time.
NWN2 Complete was just released on GOG today. (Thanks MysterD, I checked yesterday. >.> )

More info on the DRM:
[quote name='asheskitty']Regarding the $11.24 D&D Ultimate Pack on GameStop...

I suspect:
D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE (as it is on GG, owned, verified).
D&D NWN Complete:
* NWN Diamond is DRM-FREE (as it is on GOG, though GG.uk lists DRM:Other)
* NWN 2 Platinum is SecuROM (as it is on GG.uk)

NWN 2 Platinum was on steam Nov 2010 - June? 2012. Atari lost distribution rights for it then and Hasbro has taken over distribution. NWN 2 digital distribution seems quite limited atm. NWN 2 is reportedly much patched since it's buggy release.

Why am I tempted to buy this just for NWN 2 Platinum? (own the rest) :wall:[/QUOTE]
[quote name='asheskitty']Looking a bit more I've found further evidence from the physical versions that:
NWN used to have SecuROM but it was removed in a later patch.
NWN 2 has/had (removed?) SecuROM but there is no activation limit (at least under Atari).

refs:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/06/17/neverwinter-nights-2-loses-drm
http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/gamedb.php?letter=N
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/188666-neverwinter-nights/49988870
http://www.gamersgate.com/gametutor?issue=193181
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=12337

Ossian Studios is pleased to announce that there is no longer a 3-activation limit on NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate. The activation limit has been removed by Atari after Ossian highlighted to them how many fans were not happy with it. You can now install MoW as many times as you like on your computer. Here are some quick facts about this change:
Q: Do I still need to activate MoW to play?
A: Yes. The DRM activation limit has been removed but you still need to activate MoW online for each new installation on your computer. After the one-time activation for each installation, you don’t need an Internet connection to play. Activation is necessary to prevent serial numbers from being posted to the web where hundreds or thousands of people can access it.
Q: So, I don’t have to worry about changing my hardware and not being able to re-activate MoW?
A: No. You can change the hardware configuration or operating system on your computer as often as you like and can re-activate MoW as many times as you like.
Q: Is it okay if I install the game on more than one of my computers?
A: Yes, that’s fine.
Q: Are the MoW resources still encrypted?
A: Yes, the MoW resource files are still encrypted. However, we have provided most of this content for free from the Mysteries of Westgate page on the NWVault:
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Suddenly, SquareEnix weekend. Today's deal is Tomb Raiders at 75% off. Still disappointed that there's no classics pack of 1-6 and that they'd cost the same price a la carte as buying the pack.

Ashes, you are right, the version of NWN Diamond on Gamestop is the DRM-free GoG version. All the other games, except NWN2, are as well.

The fact that NWN2 is on GoG now though, makes me wish I'd waited. Seriously, I'd say pass on the GS deal and wait for the next big GoG sale. It's worth it for the extras and not being leashed to the GS app (or GS itself for that matter.)

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Ashes, you are right, the version of NWN Diamond on Gamestop is the DRM-free GoG version. All the other games, except NWN2, are as well.

The fact that NWN2 is on GoG now though, makes me wish I'd waited. Seriously, I'd say pass on the GS deal and wait for the next big GoG sale. It's worth it for the extras and not being leashed to the GS app (or GS itself for that matter.)[/QUOTE]

Cool! Thanks for the NWN1 DRM-FREE confirmation. Sorry I saw nothing that hinted that GOG was working on getting NWN2 yesterday. I think think it is a good deal. I know some CAGs lament missing the Master Collection @ $5.

The Steam client just put out a HUGE update. I started up Steam after coming home from work, and it downloaded a 110MB update to the client. Just a heads up.

[quote name='msdmoney']It's strange, I saw that quantum conundrum was $0.01 in the specials section on the steam front page, and it shows up that way when I search for it.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=quantum

But when you go to the actual page it shows up as $7.49.[/QUOTE]
im getting -0.01. That would be amazing if they credited your steam wallet a penny :p I could just imagine the chaos of people trying to buy 100 copies just to get a 1$ then try to sell each copy...
[quote name='jshackles']The Steam client just put out a HUGE update. I started up Steam after coming home from work, and it downloaded a 110MB update to the client. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE]
I haven't had an update. Checked the website an no mention of a new patch on the updates page.

[quote name='jshackles']The Steam client just put out a HUGE update. I started up Steam after coming home from work, and it downloaded a 110MB update to the client. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE]

The update adds timestamps for all activities, removes the /me functionality from chat, adds a log of recently sent messages when you open a chat box, and allows sending of messages to friends who are offline. Maybe some other functions, but these are what I've noticed.

[quote name='SackAttack']My client claims to be completely up-to-date and has neither offline messaging nor recently sent messages. Weird.[/QUOTE]
The update is for the beta client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back