Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

The Sci Fi network used to air anime every Saturday morning. My family didn't have cable growing up, but I remember taking a blank VHS tape to my grandma's house to record whatever was showing that week.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I remember in the mid 90's there used to be this channel called Network 1 (N1) that would show anime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_One

I remember that was my first exposure to Dirty Pair, Fist of the North Star, and a few others. It was coming through on a UHF channel and some nights it would be clearer than others.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm 99% sure that's the channel. My time frame's a little off, I thought it was more early 90's. Still it was during that time I called it Japanimation instead of just anime.

I also remember this was during the Streamline Productions era. Most everything they did later got re-dubbed by ADV. I was too young to know any better but I guess they were one of the first offenders of Americanization.

By the time SciFi picked up anime on Saturday mornings I had seen or owned most the stuff they aired, so I never got into their programming out side MST3K. Still it was first place I saw Dominion Tank Police and Roujin Z.

I finally watched Summer Wars (blu-ray). Wow, it is so awesome. I love every bit of it and didn't want to stop as soon as I watched it. So great, I highly recommend it to everyone.

Also finished .Hack//SIGN fully. Use to watch on TV, but missed various episodes. I liked it a lot too, but not one of my top 5. I really like Tsukasa, but then again he has the same English voice actor as Jr. from Xenosaga.

Finished Kaze no Stigma anime. There was nothing original about it... at all... but it was still well done and worth a watch. Great animation, art, special effects, and dub.

Finished the first three seasons of Ranma 1/2 and enjoyed them. It's an old series but this was my first time watching it. Then I started season 4 and immediately wanted to turn it off. Right off the bat the voice for male Ranma changes to Richard Cox (Inuyasha). They introduce the Hawaiian wannabe principal who may have the most annoying dub voice and lines I've heard in anime. The focus of the show also seems to shift from the relationship between the main characters (i.e. interesting) to random nonsensical hijinks (i.e. Love Hina). I'm going to try to stick it out a bit longer but will probably drop the series soon. I would recommend new comers to just pick up seasons 1-3.

Almost caught up on Hayate the Combat Butler manga. Hilarious series that keeps the reader interested and doesn't rely on fanservice. Of the manga I've read lately I would rank them:
The World God Only Knows >> Hayate the Combat Butler > Negima >> Yotsubato > to-LOVE-ru

[quote name='coolsteel']I haven't even gotten to episode 2 yet, hoping Bandai drops the price on vol 2[/QUOTE]

i just did the $6 hd rental on psn. pricey, but completely worth it.

ep2 was a bit boring compared to the others, might just be worth finding a stream online.

[quote name='lilman']Finished the first three seasons of Ranma 1/2 and enjoyed them. It's an old series but this was my first time watching it. Then I started season 4 and immediately wanted to turn it off. Right off the bat the voice for male Ranma changes to Richard Cox (Inuyasha). They introduce the Hawaiian wannabe principal who may have the most annoying dub voice and lines I've heard in anime. The focus of the show also seems to shift from the relationship between the main characters (i.e. interesting) to random nonsensical hijinks (i.e. Love Hina). I'm going to try to stick it out a bit longer but will probably drop the series soon. I would recommend new comers to just pick up seasons 1-3.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing with Ranma. My friend had the complete series on DVD and let me borrow it. I absolutely loved the first three seasons and highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. But also like you I stopped watching after just a few episodes in of season 4. That Hawaiian Principal is one of the most annoying characters ever. Anyone know if the series gets better and maybe season 4 was a black sheep?

Kuno is still my favorite character. "Very well Akane Tendo, I shall allow you to date me." Love that line.

No Ranma stays about the same after season 4 with only a handful of episodes I honestly found entertaining. But the finale with Ranma's mother in season 7 and the OVA's were pretty good.

[quote name='Rodimus']Kuno is still my favorite character. "Very well Akane Tendo, I shall allow you to date me." Love that line.[/QUOTE]
Yeah Kuno is a cool character. At first I thought that line was a mistranslation, but when he kept using it I realized it was part of what makes him funny.

[quote name='coolsteel']No Ranma stays about the same after season 4 with only a handful of episodes I honestly found entertaining. But the finale with Ranma's mother in season 7 and the OVA's were pretty good.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I usually stick with a series to the end but I don't think I can make it through season 4.

Does anyone have any recs for someone who enjoyed Ranma 1/2 season 1-3?

I count myself lucky in that, back when VHS was still big, a friend jumped way ahead of the season 1&2 Ranma I'd been renting and bought a season 5 tape. It was so bad, I knew not to go past season 3 or so when I bought it on DVD years later. It's too bad- the first part of the series is a classic.

Although I'm far behind, I finally watched my Evangelion Platinum collection. First time I ever saw the entire series, not just a few episodes. Really loved it a lot, one of my favorites. Looking forward to putting in my Evangelion 1.11 down the road (preordered 2.22).

Hey guy, the OVAs and movies are worth a look with ranma 1/2 they have the charm of the first three seasons and the same dub (since they were dubbed around the same time as the first season). Also, on a side note, my favortie character is Ukyo. Apparently, the ova box is out of print (even the rerelease) but you may be able to get them on half.com for a decent price.

I don't think that's fair, the show even at season 4 and 5 was still somewhat decent, its just the dub becoming terrible ruined it. It still introduced some fun things (mostly the Hiryuu Shouten Ha). I take it back, the fourth season still had some fun episodes (the one where ryoga got super strong, the strange cat ghost). After that, the show got really ridiculous.

For Ranma stick with the manga. You get to skip all the filters see tons of stuff that didn't get animated and the real ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have one of the Ranma½ "Collector's Edition" VHS tapes of Volume 1.
In the year 2038 I'll be soooooo rich. Yup Yup.

I haven't watched anything in months and that's sad but I just can't find the time over all my other activities.

At one time I thought a lot about buying DBZ the whole series.... in VHS form while VHS was still more popular then DVD.Have to say I'm glad I didn't.Talk about the amount of shelf space that would have took up and spending like over 300 on a series of tapes.

Considering each tape has 2 or 3 episodes, yeah, that's a lotta space. And nowadays you can't give VHS away.

I still have a ton of anime on VHS that I have no clue what to do with it.

This has probably been done before, but probably not in a while, but what are you top ten favorite anime openings/closings, you don't have to put them in order like #1 fave or anything like that just list the ten anime openings/closings you like the most.

I had all of DBZ fansubbed and had to throw away 50+ tapes when I moved.

As for opening/closings here's a few favs:

DNA2 - L'arc En Ciel - Blurry Eyes
Hunter x Hunter - Wino - Taiyou wa Yoru mo Kagayaku
Tenshi ni Narumon - Datte Daisuki Dakara
D. Gray-Man - Abingdon Boys School - Innocent Sorrow
Naruto - Asian Kung Fu Generation - Haruka Kanata
Bleach - Beat Crusaders - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
Bleach - UVERWorld - D-tecnoLife
Bleach - Aqua Timez - ALONES
Bleach - Younha - Houki Boshi
Xam'd - Boom Boom Satellites - Shut Up And Explode
Code Geass - Flow - World End
Devil May Cry - Rungran - Future In My Hands

Bleach really isn't my fav show but I like the bands they keep working with. Obviously I like JRock a lot.

I haven't seen too many newer anime's so my list will lean more on the old school side. In no particular order:

Ranma 1/2 - Little Date (Opening 2)
Naruto - Seishun Kyosokyoku (Opening 5)
Naruto Shippuden - Blue Bird (Opening 3)
Cowboy Bebop - Tank (Opening)
Lupin III - Second Season (Opening 1)
Gundam Wing - Just Communication (Opening 1)
One Piece - New We Are (Opening 10)
Golgo 13: The Professional - Golgo 13 and I (Ending Theme)
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture - Oh Angel (Ending Theme)
Zillion - Opening (I'm not sure the name of the song but this opening reeks of nostalgia)

Not really an anime but I thought I would mention the 90's X-Men aired in Japan and they had 2 very cool openings. The second one was my favorite.

Completely caught up on Hayate no Gotoku (currently 310 chapters). I love it, but sadly it moves to my pile of waiting since I prefer to read one comic at a time rather than one chapter of multiples per week.

I can't think of my top 10 openings/closings off the top of my head, but here are some that quickly come to mind:
Outlaw Star - Hiro no Tsuki (first? ending)
Bleach - Asterisk (first opening)
Samurai Champloo - Battlecry (opening)
GiTS SAC - Inner Universe (first opening)
Hellsing - World Without Logos (opening)
Inuyasha - My Will (first ending)

I'm not going to bother with a top 10 because I know I'll leave one out and be angry, but some of my favorites are

GTO - Driver's High
DNA^2 - Blurry Eyes
Reborn! - Drawing Days
Cardcaptor Sakura - Catch You, Catch Me
Hunter x Hunter - Ohayou
Flame of Recca - Nanka Shiawase

It's hard to just distill my varied musical tastes into just ten choices, so this isn't a favorites list by any stretch; some of these songs are definitely a favorite, but I consider most of this list volatile, since I enjoy different songs at different times.

Song - Artist - Anime

• Duvet - boa - Lain
  • 88 - LM.C - Reborn
  • Moonlight - Yukari Katsuki - Kurau
  • Sprinter - Kalafina - The Garden of Sinners 5: Paradox Spiral
  • Toki wo Kizamu Uta - Lia - Clannad After Story
  • R.O.D. - YKZ - R.O.D. The TV
  • Trust Me - Yuya Matsushita - Durarara
  • Uso - SID - Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
  • Holy Shine - Daisy x Daisy - Fairy Tail
  • Cause Disarray - Galneryus - Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne

[quote name='paulina7m']Does anyone know if they were able to finish Hunter X Hunter and Slam Dunk?[/QUOTE]

This question is not nearly specific enough. They who? And are you asking about anime or manga?

Slam Dunk - Anime and manga finished in Japan. The English version of the manga is still being released by Viz in the US. The anime isn't being released in the US.

Hunter x Hunter - Still ongoing in Japan, will probably never be finished. US version still coming out.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']This question is not nearly specific enough. They who? And are you asking about anime or manga?

Slam Dunk - Anime and manga finished in Japan. The English version of the manga is still being released by Viz in the US. The anime isn't being released in the US.

Hunter x Hunter - Still ongoing in Japan, will probably never be finished. US version still coming out.[/QUOTE]

Also, the Hunter X Hunter anime TV series was released in the US (4 boxsets from Viz media), but not the OAV sequel episodes. I'd have to ask my fiance excactly where the break is, it's his favorite anime.

[quote name='Razzuel']It's hard to just distill my varied musical tastes into just ten choices, so this isn't a favorites list by any stretch; some of these songs are definitely a favorite, but I consider most of this list volatile, since I enjoy different songs at different times.

Song - Artist - Anime
  • Duvet - boa - Lain
[/QUOTE]

That one right there is all you need, hehe. IT'S SO GOOD. I can't thank you enough for having me listen to it that one time haha. I like a couple of the Eureka 7 openings (ones by FLOW and Home Made Kazoku are probably my favorites), a couple of the Bleach openings (YUI, Younha), and hmm Welcome to the NHK had a catchy one by Round Table ft. Nino. Also, the Sambomaster opening for Naruto is psychedelic and awesome. For some reason EDs seem to stick with me more usually, though.

BTW guys, I just bought my first visual novel, lol. It's called Kira Kira. You can get it on the app store for your iphone/ipod/ipad for only $5, and the proceeds go the Japan Red Cross for Tsunami/Earthquake relief efforts. It's supposed to be one of the better localized visual novels out there. Also, the crappy h-scenes were removed in this version, which I read actually makes it better.

Check it out. It's cheap and for a good cause! http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id330628336?mt=8

[quote name='PrarieD0G']That one right there is all you need, hehe. IT'S SO GOOD. I can't thank you enough for having me listen to it that one time haha.[/QUOTE]

I know! I'll never get tired of listening to Duvet, haha.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']BTW guys, I just bought my first visual novel, lol. It's called Kira Kira. You can get it on the app store for your iphone/ipod/ipad for only $5, and the proceeds go the Japan Red Cross for Tsunami/Earthquake relief efforts. It's supposed to be one of the better localized visual novels out there. Also, the crappy h-scenes were removed in this version, which I read actually makes it better. [/QUOTE]

Or if you do want those naughty scenes (or I guess if you'd rather have the game on your PC rather than your phone), you could buy the game, or any other Overdrive or Circus game for that matter, from MangaGamer, since they are donating all the proceeds earned from the sale of those games to the Japanese Red Cross until March 31.

Also, Kira Kira is supposed to be awesome, but I haven't had the time to play it yet.

[quote name='Razzuel']You can watch all of the Slam Dunk TV series on ANN.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't aware of that. I remember a couple DVDs being released a few years ago by Toei, but that's it.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Also, the Hunter X Hunter anime TV series was released in the US (4 boxsets from Viz media), but not the OAV sequel episodes. I'd have to ask my fiance excactly where the break is, it's his favorite anime.[/QUOTE]
I watched it awhile back. I'm pretty sure the OAVs haven't been released in the US. And, I think the TV stops after the auction arc, and the OAVs pick up for the Greed Island arc.

Most of my favorite openings have already been said in the thread, but two that weren't on there are:

Cloud Age Symphony from Last Exile
Shell from Witch Hunter Robin

I also tend to love any and all openings from One Piece just because.

I just got Lucky Star - my wife watched 5 minutes of it, and I'm pretty sure it's going to become one of her favorite shows.

I really like the animation style.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']This question is not nearly specific enough. They who? And are you asking about anime or manga?

Hunter x Hunter - Still ongoing in Japan, will probably never be finished. US version still coming out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I meant anime, haven't gone through their mangas yet. I can't seem to find an anime site with complete episodes for Slam Dunk. Do you know any sites? :bouncy:

And Hunter x Hunter, last anime I watched was in the Grid Island, was that it? Too bad if they're not going to finish it. :cry:

[quote name='paulina7m']Thanks! I meant anime, haven't gone through their mangas yet. I can't seem to find an anime site with complete episodes for Slam Dunk. Do you know any sites?[/QUOTE]

I guess you missed my post where I linked to legal streams of all of the Slam Dunk TV series, as seen below.

[quote name='Razzuel']You can watch all of the Slam Dunk TV series on ANN.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Razzuel']I guess you missed my post where I linked to legal streams of all of the Slam Dunk TV series, as seen below.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Razzuel! :applause: I can have something to watch this weekend. Are there other manga or animes that you can suggest? Anything will do, I've seen lots before, but haven't had much time lately, the only manga and anime I'm following recently's Naruto Shippuden.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm not going to bother with a top 10 because I know I'll leave one out and be angry, but some of my favorites are

GTO - Driver's High
DNA^2 - Blurry Eyes
Reborn! - Drawing Days
Cardcaptor Sakura - Catch You, Catch Me
Hunter x Hunter - Ohayou
Flame of Recca - Nanka Shiawase[/QUOTE]

For future reference we have nearly identical taste in music.

My pseudo top 10 since I started the subject
Negima?!? - 1000% (both in English and Japanese)
Busou Renkin - Makka Na Chikai
Digimon - Butterfly
DNA squared - Blurry Eyes
Full Metal Panic - Tomorrow
Hunter X Hunter - Ohayou
Green Green - Guri Guri
Tenchi muyo - I'm a Pioneer (english version only)
Kareshi Kanoujo no Jijou - Tenshi No Yubikiri
King of Bandits Jing - Shout It loud
Mahou Senshi Rui - Twinkle Trick
Marmalade Boy - Egao Ni Aitai
Both the Opening and closing to Nerima Daikon Brothers (English and Japanese versions)
Rurouni Kenshin - Freckles (yes, she has a weird voice but DAMN can she wail), 1/2, and Its Gonna Rain
Scrapped Princess - Little Wing
Kenichi - Be Strong
Kaleido Star - Take it Shake it
Wanderers - Illusion (english and Japanese)

Yes, I went WAYYYY over 10 but I have a lot of favorites.

When you guys/gals mention your favorite open/close are you talking about the song, the animation, or both? There are open/close where I like the song but don't care for the animation (for example, The Light Before We Land from Gunslinger Girl), or My Will closing from Inuyasha where I don't care much for the song (it's alright) but love the the ferris wheel art.

[quote name='lilman']When you guys/gals mention your favorite open/close are you talking about the song, the animation, or both? There are open/close where I like the song but don't care for the animation (for example, The Light Before We Land from Gunslinger Girl), or My Will closing from Inuyasha where I don't care much for the song (it's alright) but love the the ferris wheel art.[/QUOTE]

In my case, it's the song I like.

I love the visuals on my of my opening songs faves, but its usually the song that draws me in (except 1000% sparking, that one drew me in with both.)

Ah I see, thanks for the responses. I like opening/closings based on how well the animation represents the series; of course good animation is almost always tied to good music.

I listen to a lot of anime ost's (while programming), my favs are:
FLCL
GiTS SAC
Eureka Seven
Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Samurai Champloo
R.O.D. -The TV-
random singles from various series

Half way through Darker than Black. Fun show, first 5 episodes were great but then it suddenly toned itself wayyy down and not even in a cute or humorous way -- it was flat out dull. I actually jumped through an entire episode to see if anything interesting was going to happen and ended up skipping the whole thing. I've never done that before with any other show.

Starting to pick up again though with 10-12.

bread's done
Back