Battlefield Bad Company 2; Vietnam (1200 points) out; plus 4 new free maps

Finally got an Onslaught Hardcore achievement...with randoms, no less. It was Valpariso which seems to be the easiest one. Oh well.

Want to work on Isla Inocentes next since I have a feeling that will be the toughest.

Excited for 'Nam. I'll be on tomorrow night. Let's do this.

This is what DLC is all about. 5 maps for 1200 points? That's all the CoD DLC has. Totally not worth it. But throw in more than 15 weapons, new vehicles, and a completely new theme?! Thank you, DICE.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Finally got an Onslaught Hardcore achievement...with randoms, no less. It was Valpariso which seems to be the easiest one. Oh well.

Want to work on Isla Inocentes next since I have a feeling that will be the toughest.

Excited for 'Nam. I'll be on tomorrow night. Let's do this.[/QUOTE]
isla inocentes has two tough spots that i remember. 1. when you first land on the island, an enemy chopper comes. if you don't take care of that, you're screwed. so either have some on the chopper gunner shoot it down, or trace/rpg it. 2. the last base has really quick infinite respawns. really need to get everyone set up at the last flag with health and ammo looking right at where the baddies come from.

[quote name='wowimsocute']isla inocentes has two tough spots that i remember. 1. when you first land on the island, an enemy chopper comes. if you don't take care of that, you're screwed. so either have some on the chopper gunner shoot it down, or trace/rpg it. 2. the last base has really quick infinite respawns. really need to get everyone set up at the last flag with health and ammo looking right at where the baddies come from.[/QUOTE]

#2 is by far the hardest part for Hardcore Onslaught. If your team doesn't work extremely well to watch the spawn points, you will never get the last one.

[quote name='sp8001']Does anyone know if your stats carry over to Vietnam from the original game? Or do we all reset and have to level up again and unlock weapons and stuff?

Just curious. Thanks[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DICEfigger']
ChargerCarl: Will Vietnam stats show up under BC2 or as a separate game?
DICEfigge: Everything you score in Vietnam will count towards your normal progression, so you will still get your ranks and unlocks, regardless if you play vanilla or Vietnam.[/Quote]

I just saw that today on the blog.

Does anyone know what time the DLC will be released? 12AM CDT?

I always thought it was the middle of the night...like 6 AM EST/3AM PST or something. Don't quote me on that though.

fuck I wish I had tomorrow off. Oh well.

[quote name='Ashesinfall']This is what DLC is all about. 5 maps for 1200 points? That's all the CoD DLC has. Totally not worth it. But throw in more than 15 weapons, new vehicles, and a completely new theme?! Thank you, DICE.[/QUOTE]

Yeah plus new achievements too! (if you're into that).. But this is going to be like a completely new game.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I always thought it was the middle of the night...like 6 AM EST/3AM PST or something. Don't quote me on that though.

fuck I wish I had tomorrow off. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

fuck, you're probably right. I will not go to sleep late again, I'll wait for it tomorrow morning.

Try not to think about it at work...good luck with that :lol:

Okay well this is annoying.. I was just playing online and I finished a match. I went to click on my stats to see how many kills I have in total on the M3 and it said "you need to be signed in to live etc".. So I sign in and it says level 1, everything locked..

So I dashboard then go marketplace and see Vietnam is out so I buy it. I played one game of Vietnam and it said level 21 after the match (my level). So I figure i'd go look back on normal BF to see and its still level 1? Whats going on? Is my data wiped or not?

Freaking annoying took me ages to unlock all that stuff :bomb:

My initial thoughts...

First off, I Love It. Easily worth what they are asking.

- I actually think having zero scopes on anything but sniper is great. It actually makes users have skills to hit people from long range.
- The flamethrower will be gimped so make sure to get your kills now. The thing is way overpowered.
- Totally miss tracer darts (for the damn Huey)
- Love the new levels; the majority of them give an advantage for the defense (due to height, foxholes, etc)
- Engineer is normally my class of choice but as a class in Vietnam not so good.

On another note, I experienced my first midgame kick out to dashboard today while rocking Vietnam. It was weird before it kicked me. It gave me a vehicle kill with a triple kill when I A) didn't fire anything at a vehicle and B) I laid zero mines. This error might have caused the kick out.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']It has VIP pack 7 in it...I'm guessing it is to make sure no one can download it without a VIP code active.[/QUOTE]

But the previous updates were there, I guess that's the reason why as the first 2 updates are gone also. Just an annoyance factor as I have a slow DSL connection and it would have been nice to queue stuff up at work and have it ready to start downloading as soon as I got home instead of doing it before I go to bed so it downloads in my sleep. (1-2 GB files take me 2-3 hours uninterrupted to download off XBL.)

I'm looking for a good team/squad to play with, none of my friends ever play this game and I get so tired of being in squads where no one is talking. If anyone wants to send me a friend request, I'm Rintwin on XBL. Thanks.

[quote name='seanr1221']Also, I don't see the flamethrower as overpowered at all.

It doesn't have much range, and these maps are pretty wide open.[/QUOTE]

The levels aren't that wide. Hill and Vantage Point are close quarters maps. Even the other two are close quarters if you actually move up. The flamethrower requires 1-2 squirts to take anyone down i.e. pray and spray. The fact that there is no reload, you can rock it 360 degrees, and there is burn damage... yeah it is way over powered.

After more play, expect the M40 to be nerfed as well. M40 + Magnum = a Noob's fantasy.

I'm liking the new maps and all, but a lot of the [conquest] games are ending with one team trapped in a spawn. I hope that is just a sign of them being new maps.

Yep. One map in particular, Vantage Point, is completely guilty of that. Once a team gets B its game over. The one thing I def do not like is the fact that this is a battlefield game and yet it continues to go more and more towards infantry...That's not battlefield. Hopefully DICE makes a proper BF game with BF3. I'm sick of this Bad Company trying to compete with COD crap.

I've played a few matches and all but one have been VERY lopsided. Like stuck in the spawn as the other team camps you on the other side of a river lopsided.

LOVE the music though.

[quote name='slickkill77']Yep. One map in particular, Vantage Point, is completely guilty of that. Once a team gets B its game over. The one thing I def do not like is the fact that this is a battlefield game and yet it continues to go more and more towards infantry...That's not battlefield. Hopefully DICE makes a proper BF game with BF3. I'm sick of this Bad Company trying to compete with COD crap.[/QUOTE]

I am different. I don't see this trying to compete with COD. Medal of Honor was Dice's attempt at trying to compete with COD's multiplayer; hopefully it taught them a lesson not to tinker with a winning formula.

I see this still being Bad Company 2. There are still vehicles. The boats tear things up. You still have tanks, jeeps, and one heli. The classes still play similiar. I still felt like I was playing Bad Company 2 but set in Vietnam.

[quote name='lordopus99']I am different. I don't see this trying to compete with COD. Medal of Honor was Dice's attempt at trying to compete with COD's multiplayer; hopefully it taught them a lesson not to tinker with a winning formula.

I see this still being Bad Company 2. There are still vehicles. The boats tear things up. You still have tanks, jeeps, and one heli. The classes still play similiar. I still felt like I was playing Bad Company 2 but set in Vietnam.[/QUOTE]

The main difference is that the levels are designed more to get people to stop posting up and sniping from across the map, which admittedly is my favorite thing to do in BC2.

This is not a run and gun game like COD. Medal of Honor was a crap game that DICE had to attempt to make a good multiplayer for. Vietnam is still Battlefield and feels like it, but with amazing level detail and really cool weapons. Love the flamethrower and the Uzi!

I don't see 'Nam as CoD at all. Not even that close, really. If it was I probably wouldn't be playing it - if I want CoD I'll play CoD.

Agreed with a few of the comments above - that's why Medal of Honor kind of stunk (as I'm experiencing now with a borrowed copy). It's like DICE tried to do a half CoD, half Battlefield game, and wound up with something that wasn't as good as either of them.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I find burst firing the M16 the overall best so far..[/QUOTE]

I like the m16, but it's pretty weak. m14 for me so far.

If anything, I think the flamethrower is UNDER-powered. It has a lot of splash damage, sure, but you have to hit someone either point-blank or with an extended burst to actually kill them. I threw a lot of fire out last night, but only got two kills. Got a few assists, but lots of guys managed to shoot me while on fire, and not die themselves.

If anything, they could reduce the ammo supply for it. You can use it a LOT without running out. But damage-wise, it's weak enough already.

Edit: It is effective as an attacker, once an M-com is armed, to prevent defenders from disarming it. Just keep that station bathed in fire. That was fun.

I like the Vietnam expansion very much but glitches are already being exploited.

A couple of random guys I played against a while ago are driving that damn boat through hills and can shoot you from under it. This happened on 2 maps, Cao Son Temple and Hill 137. You can't shoot back because YOU are shooting at the ground. Bullshit :bomb: The only way I managed to get 'em was when I placed some anti-tank mines near the shores...BOOM! :lol:

DICE needs to fix this before I hurt someone :whistle2:# Alright rant over, I just needed to get that off my chest.

Picked up a $30 Ultimate Edition and grabbed Nam expansion as well. I'm a CoD guy and haven't played this game since a couple weeks after launch. I wonder what I was so into that I didn't get hooked on this game, I forgot how fun it can be.

I was totally expecting to get ass raped for a few days while I got my 1943 legs back but i'm holding more than my own score wise playing as a medic. Finished top on my team so many times I assume medic is easiest way to get points although I do get my share of kills and captures.

[quote name='$hady']I was totally expecting to get ass raped for a few days while I got my 1943 legs back but i'm holding more than my own score wise playing as a medic. Finished top on my team so many times I assume medic is easiest way to get points although I do get my share of kills and captures.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Medic, hands down, is the easiest class to get points.

[quote name='htown01']I like the Vietnam expansion very much but glitches are already being exploited.

A couple of random guys I played against a while ago are driving that damn boat through hills and can shoot you from under it. This happened on 2 maps, Cao Son Temple and Hill 137. You can't shoot back because YOU are shooting at the ground. Bullshit :bomb: The only way I managed to get 'em was when I placed some anti-tank mines near the shores...BOOM! :lol:

DICE needs to fix this before I hurt someone :whistle2:# Alright rant over, I just needed to get that off my chest.[/QUOTE]

I had the same thing happen to me on that map. I was so pissed

Did they mix the Vietnam maps into the current playlists or a separate one? And you can only use Vietnam weapons on Vietnam maps, right?

[quote name='matto1233']Did they mix the Vietnam maps into the current playlists or a separate one? And you can only use Vietnam weapons on Vietnam maps, right?[/QUOTE]

Vietnam is a separate mode, just like onslaught is in the menus.

[quote name='$hady']Picked up a $30 Ultimate Edition and grabbed Nam expansion as well. I'm a CoD guy and haven't played this game since a couple weeks after launch. I wonder what I was so into that I didn't get hooked on this game, I forgot how fun it can be.

I was totally expecting to get ass raped for a few days while I got my 1943 legs back but i'm holding more than my own score wise playing as a medic. Finished top on my team so many times I assume medic is easiest way to get points although I do get my share of kills and captures.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I'm always trying to get people I know to play BFBC2. It's not that hard to pick up and play. Whereas with MW2 and CoDBO, you get schooled for many many hours. It may be neat for CoD experienced players to frag noobs, but discourages casual multiplayer gaming. And although I'm a hardcore gamer, I'm not dedicating my time in excess to one game, let alone a CoD game.

BFBC2 is great fun from the moment you start up your first multiplayer game. Probably why CheapyD keeps playing.

[quote name='notwen']Vietnam is a separate mode, just like onslaught is in the menus.[/QUOTE]

Alright that's what I figured. Thanks.

I'm trying to decide if I should play BC2 again for this, but I have so much else to play! The levels and ranks are totally different for Vietnam, correct? So many questions!

[quote name='ianoid']This is exactly why I'm always trying to get people I know to play BFBC2. It's not that hard to pick up and play. Whereas with MW2 and CoDBO, you get schooled for many many hours. It may be neat for CoD experienced players to frag noobs, but discourages casual multiplayer gaming. And although I'm a hardcore gamer, I'm not dedicating my time in excess to one game, let alone a CoD game.

BFBC2 is great fun from the moment you start up your first multiplayer game. Probably why CheapyD keeps playing.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Even if you completely suck at FPS games, you can find something to do to help your team in Bad Company, like revive people as a medic or fix vehicles as an engineer or hang back and mark targets as a sniper. It really is just a damn fun game, and you don't have to dedicate all of your gaming time to it in order to be a decent player.

I cant remember why I got rid of this game (probably just got bored. I do that easily) but I think it was from the lack of players. I remember going into games that were only 3/4 full all the time and it started to get annoying.

Might be time to get it back.

I do get confused as to how to communicate with my squad. If I party up with friends and we join a squad, will we be automatically included in squad chat? I've noticed that barely anyone random I play with has their mic enabled. And BFBC2 as well as 'Nam lend themselves to team work and communication, so it comes as a bit of a surprise nobody's talking.

In summary, does being in a party prevent game chat in general?

Do parties automatically get included in game chat if we are all in a BFBC2 squad together?

[quote name='ianoid']This is exactly why I'm always trying to get people I know to play BFBC2. It's not that hard to pick up and play. Whereas with MW2 and CoDBO, you get schooled for many many hours. It may be neat for CoD experienced players to frag noobs, but discourages casual multiplayer gaming. And although I'm a hardcore gamer, I'm not dedicating my time in excess to one game, let alone a CoD game.

BFBC2 is great fun from the moment you start up your first multiplayer game. Probably why CheapyD keeps playing.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much nailed it. I'm a CoD guy and even with the days and days of time i've played after you take a month or two away you come back take your beat downs for a little while you get your skills back. Straight up newbies I feel bad for, you have no chance untill they take lumps for weeks then all you learn is to hide and wait. Another reason why I probably never went back to BC2, with the level systems I figured i'd be outgunned. But of course it's EA and they sell complete class unlocks for 400pts now lame but keeps everyone equal.

I'll stick with medic class for awhile changing off to engineer as needed. I'm having alot of fun and will for sure tell my CoD friends to give this another chance. I wish i'd picked this back up awhile ago!

bread's done
Back