Bioshock Infinite $29.98 @ Target? Possibly YMMV?

[quote name='doreo503']I went to the Target in Edison, NJ and had no luck. The store didn't seem to have a clearance section. Bioshock seemed to be sold out, but I did find a copy of the premium edition for ps3. Unfortunately, it rang up full price. So if any of you had plans to stop by
this Target, don't waste your time.[/QUOTE]

I went to a Target here in Tampa where it was also "sold out" -- I think this just means it did go to clearance and the employees grabbed them.

Sales

In its first week of release, BioShock Infinite was the best-selling game on Steam's digital Top 10 PC Charts.[213] During the first week of sales in the United Kingdom, BioShock Infinite debuted as the number one selling PC game, and the best-selling game on all available formats, topping the UK PC Retail Sales and the UK All Formats video games charts.[213][214][215] In the game's opening week in the UK, its Xbox 360 version ranked #1, PlayStation 3 version ranked #2, and the PC version ranked #9 in the UK Individual Formats video games charts, due to 64 percent of its sales being on the Xbox 360, 31 percent on the PlayStation 3, and 5 percent on PC.[215] As of April 2, 2013, it is currently the second biggest launch of 2013 in the UK after Tomb Raider, and is the biggest UK game launch in the BioShock franchise's history with approximately 9000 more sales than BioShock 2.[214][215][216]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock_Infinite

[quote name='retrovertigo']Actually, if you look at Major Nelson's list of top games for the week, starting April 1, BioShock Infinite is #13 of 20. That not exactly screaming "hot seller" to me, unfortunately.

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  2. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  3. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. Halo 4
  6. NBA 2K13
  7. Battlefield 3
  8. Gears of War: Judgment
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  10. GTA IV
  11. Skyrim
  12. Modern Warfare 2
  13. BioShock Infinite
  14. Gears of War 3
  15. EA SPORTS NHL 13
  16. Halo: Reach
  17. Madden NFL 13
  18. Borderlands 2
  19. Assassin’s Creed III
  20. Forza Motorsport 4
[/QUOTE]

According to a previous list he posted, that's the same spot that Tomb Raider hit in its first week. While it was considered a disappointment by Square Enix, it sold somethign like 3.5 million copies in the first three weeks and had a multiplayer component.

Unlike Tomb Raider, or any releases in months, Bioshock has been popping up constantly on both my 360 and Steam friends lists. That's something that really only happens with the biggest franchises. Now, it may be speaking to the kind of people I befriend online and not a wider audience, but I wouldn't count it out as a poor seller just yet.

[quote name='doreo503']I went to the Target in Edison, NJ and had no luck. The store didn't seem to have a clearance section. Bioshock seemed to be sold out, but I did find a copy of the premium edition for ps3. Unfortunately, it rang up full price. So if any of you had plans to stop by
this Target, don't waste your time.[/QUOTE]

I went to the Target in Clifton, NJ myself and no BioShock Infinite on clearance. They had a copy of the Premium Edition for the PS3, but I did not bother asking for a price check.

Circumstances like these are definitely YMMV. For instance, at my Target Dragon's Dogma clearanced to $17.98 after 2nd week of it's release...cheers to everyone who lucks out on this! :applause:

[quote name='Habtharab']I just brought one about 30 minutes ago from a different target in the Cleveland area so maybe it's a regional mistake perhaps[/QUOTE]

If it is regional it didn't reach Elyria which is pretty close to Cleveland... just checked the target there...

I just decided to call in and check, and low and behold, the guy on the phone told me they had 3 copies left at $29.99 each. I can't believe it, but this doesn't seem to be limited to an individual store.

[quote name='rcerboss']I just decided to call in and check, and low and behold, the guy on the phone told me they had 3 copies left at $29.99 each. I can't believe it, but this doesn't seem to be limited to an individual store.[/QUOTE]

Pick me up one? :)

Edit: New Britain, CT Target was also a wasted trip. Rang up at $60. They had an AC3 CE too for PS3 that also rang up full price. Seriously guys, if you see this in stores, buy multiple copies (and sell me one).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='endustry']Went to my local target in Woodhaven MI, and couldn't find Bioshock on clearance, but to my surprise they had TOMBRAIDER on CLEARANCE![/QUOTE]

As of 3:17 pm the Woodhaven store had one PS3 copy of Infinite clearanced for $41.98 in the clearance section. Two workers were talking about how it was an error and that another worker bought the last 360 copy. There were no copies for PC that I saw. Since I wanted the 360 version, I went to the Southland store and they had both PS3 and 360 for $29.98 marked clearance but in the normal games section. I didn't check the PC games. God of War: Ascension was also clearanced for $41.98, but I didn't buy it.

Thanks for the heads up, Jrittmayer.

Edit: Tomb Raider was not on clearance when I checked.

[quote name='avalanche4']As of 3:17 pm the Woodhaven store had one PS3 copy of Infinite clearanced for $41.98 in the clearance section. Two workers were talking about how it was an error and that another worker bought the last 360 copy. There were no copies for PC that I saw. Since I wanted the 360 version, I went to the Southland store and they had both PS3 and 360 for $29.98 marked clearance but in the normal games section. I didn't check the PC games. God of War: Ascension was also clearanced for $41.98, but I didn't buy it.

Thanks for the heads up, Jrittmayer.[/QUOTE]

Making me cry here lol.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Weird, no clearance section at my Target either. There used to be one.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes if a Target doesn't have enough clearance merch to fill an end cap, they'll just leave it in the aisles with the normal merch. Also, often times they'll leave an item on the normal shelves if it's in it's first phase of clearance.

Man just trade in this game today at AMZbut if I can find it for 30 I guess I'll pick it up again for keeps.:D

[quote name='Nintendonly']The game honestly hasn't been selling too well. I think my Walmart has only sold 10 copies for PS3/Xbox 360 combined.

Have it at that price or have it at all?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is only the top selling new game this year already. Not selling well at all.

1.3 million sold world wide first week not including digital sales on PC.

[quote name='j.t']Man just trade in this game today at AMZbut if I can find it for 30 I guess I'll pick it up again for keeps.:D[/QUOTE]

If you find it for $30, ship one to me for $40 ^_^

[quote name='Kerig']I don't care if it's because it includes the original Bioshock or because it's PSMove compatible, Sony putting the "only on PlayStation" wording on their cover art is 100% bag-o-dicks.[/QUOTE]

I prefer PS3 because i hate Microsoft's cheap giant neon green cases

[quote name='Twitter']At $30.

The game sold pretty bad considering they were saying 3 million. Game sold 450K on 360, 219K on PS3, and 104K on PC. In Europe 300K overall. That's like a million. Not bad actually for 1 week.[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear they were expecting 3 million? The original bioshock has sold about 4 million world-wide since its release. For comparison:

Week 1 Global Sales:
Bioshock
:360: 544,625
:ps3: ~50,000 (it was released one year later on ps3 at different times)
:pc: 46,150 (again a delayed release)

Bioshock 2
:360: 544,849
:ps3: 270,211
:pc: 31,854

Bioshock Infinite
:360: 733,017
:ps3: 407,183
:pc: 167,784 (physical copies)

To reach 3 million the game would have had to sell 3x the copies Bioshock 2 did. No way that was happening and whomever predicted it was just guessing based on maybe the NEED for the game since it was a long development. Either way this will be the most successful game in the franchise in terms of gross sales.

I forgot to add the store sorry. I got it from North Olmsted Target on Brookpark by the mall... there were about 10 left and it wasn't on the clearance rack but in the regular display case

Nothing in Charlottesville, VA. I did manage to score the last copy of the God of War HD Collection for $8.98, so not a total loss of the time it took to swing by.

Ugh I live over an hour away from the closest target. Why can't walmart get sweet deals like this XD anyone want to hook me up with a copy. I'll compensate you via paypal

[quote name='cancerman1120']Where did you hear they were expecting 3 million? The original bioshock has sold about 4 million world-wide since its release. For comparison:

Week 1 Global Sales:
Bioshock
:360: 544,625
:ps3: ~50,000 (it was released one year later on ps3 at different times)
:pc: 46,150 (again a delayed release)

Bioshock 2
:360: 544,849
:ps3: 270,211
:pc: 31,854

Bioshock Infinite
:pc: 167,784 (physical copies)

To reach 3 million the game would have had to sell 3x the copies Bioshock 2 did. No way that was happening and whomever predicted it was just guessing based on maybe the NEED for the game since it was a long development. Either way this will be the most successful game in the franchise in terms of gross sales.[/QUOTE]
Can you school me which website reports those numbers? This is North America sales right?

[quote name='dravack']Ugh I live over an hour away from the closest target. Why can't walmart get sweet deals like this XD anyone want to hook me up with a copy. I'll compensate you via paypal[/QUOTE]

Dude, just wait for the complete edition at $19.99.

So I had one of the girls who works in my store (who clearances the items) do a check by scanning the bar code and searching the dpci in the price accuracy system. Both came up with its regular price and that's from the system itself. Whatever the reason is that you few have found those copies just count yourself lucky.

Are the cases/wrapping in perfect condition? That could be a reason for a independent price reduction. That's the only reason I'm aware of.

[quote name='Dramatic Crysis']Are the cases/wrapping in perfect condition? That could be a reason for a independent price reduction. That's the only reason I'm aware of.[/QUOTE]

Then they would be sent back for credit for being defective.

Its a system glitch for whatever reason.

Also for the people that are like "how can they mark down a game that just came out!" the who do clearance likely have no freaking clue that the game just came out or don't even care because they are just doing their job.

Full price here, too. Did finally bite on a $9 copy of God of War Collection, though, so not a totally wasted trip.

No dice in Orange, CT or North Haven, CT

[quote name='cancerman1120']

Bioshock Infinite
:pc: 167,784 (physical copies)[/QUOTE]

Wow those numbers are pitiful in today's age. Hopefully the $40 price drop comes soon like it did for a bunch of recent games :bouncy:

[quote name='TooPoor']Can you school me which website reports those numbers? This is North America sales right?[/QUOTE]

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/

Some people think their numbers are bunk but for the most part they update when better figures are available.

Those numbers I gave before were worldwide week 1 sales.

D8n.jpg

Thanks OP, this was an awesome find. Checked the NW Columbia SC Target. When I called I was told they had 3 copies left, but by the time after I got off work there was only one left. No other special prices on anything else though, didn't even see the 360 version of Bioshock Infinite in stock.

[quote name='Deader2818']i love how selling 1.3 million units after a week is considered pitiful now.[/QUOTE]

That all depends on how much the dev's & pub's actually spend on developing and marketing the game...

Awesome find OP! I left work figuring I would be SOL, but got lucky! Grabbed a copy for the 360. Also picked up a copy of the steel book version of Tomb Raider which was also on clearance for $29.98!

For those in the Cleveland area, this was the Target in Mayfield Heights. They also had the clearance goof with Tiger Woods last year, which I got in on too.

They had one copy of Bioshock for the PS3 and one or two for the 360 left as of about 6:30. They were both in the regular section. I had to search for the 360 copies, since they didn't have a copy sitting in front. The Tomb Raider steel books were in an end cap. Copies for both the 360 and PS3 left...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came back from Target in Marietta, Ga., and Bioshock Infinite for 360 was on clearance for $29.99. Oddly enough, the game was still in the locked game section and not on a clearance endcap. The PS3 version remained at $59.99, though.

I was going to snap a pic of the copy I bought, but my copy didn't have a clearance sticker (but it did ring up as $29.99 at the register. I think the clearance sticker had just been affixed to the outside of the plastic game case on the display.

[quote name='elvis731']Awesome find OP! I left work figuring I would be SOL, but got lucky! Grabbed a copy for the 360. Also picked up a copy of the steel book version of Tomb Raider which was also on clearance for $29.98!

For those in the Cleveland area, this was the Target in Mayfield Heights. They also had the clearance goof with Tiger Woods last year, which I got in on too.

They had one copy of Bioshock for the PS3 and one or two for the 360 left as of about 6:30. They were both in the regular section. I had to search for the 360 copies, since they didn't have a copy sitting in front. The Tomb Raider steel books were in an end cap. Copies for both the 360 and PS3 left...[/QUOTE]

ot, but has the bbv up there closed yet? The sign said the 7th, but I called lasy week and they said they were extending the closing sale.

I tried the Targets on Fuller Rd in Albany, the one near Latham Farms, and the one near Clifton Commons in NY. Did price-checks and no dice in any of them.

[quote name='ger2396']Wow, this thread made to the gaming website n4g.com[/QUOTE]

Almost everyone wants it. From what I've heard from folks that played it, it seems to be shaping up to be the best game of the year and there's still months left.

[quote name='cancerman1120']http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/

Some people think their numbers are bunk but for the most part they update when better figures are available.

Those numbers I gave before were worldwide week 1 sales.[/QUOTE]

Well, vgchartz is bullshit and should never be used. But do what you must

bread's done
Back