CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

I cannot stop playing Hearthstone - I never would have tried it if it wasn't for you guys so thanks for that.  Got any tips for collecting gold without paying?  I'm hesitant to try the arena when I could just buy a pack of 5 cards for my hard-earned 100G.  I do the daily challenges but it is slow... which I guess is the point.  I'm also curious whether you guys have spent any real dollars on it - one guy I know spent the $50 and he swears he wins a ton more with all the cards he's collected.

I cannot stop playing Hearthstone - I never would have tried it if it wasn't for you guys so thanks for that. Got any tips for collecting gold without paying? I'm hesitant to try the arena when I could just buy a pack of 5 cards for my hard-earned 100G. I do the daily challenges but it is slow... which I guess is the point. I'm also curious whether you guys have spent any real dollars on it - one guy I know spent the $50 and he swears he wins a ton more with all the cards he's collected.
Javery, one quick thing, you get a free pack of cards with every arena entry (plus gold and other cards depending on how much you win). Arena is the best way to get gold, especially for early players.

Also, make sure you've completed all of these quests (taken from http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/11/hearthstone-strategies-earn-gold-fast-and-get-free-cards/):

Quests

This is simple. Do all the quests. Many of these were designed as gimmes for beginner players, so don’t overlook them.

Quest: One of Everything – collect every expert card in the game.
Reward: 100 Gold.

Quest: Beta Hero – use real money during the beta.
Reward: Golden Gelbin Mekkatorque (card).

Quest: Big Winner – win 1000 games across all modes
Reward: 300 Gold.

Quest: Chicken Dinner – win 100 games across all modes.
Reward: 300 Gold.

Quest: Crafting Time – disenchant any card.
Reward: 95 Dust.

Quest: Crushed Them All -defeat every AI character at least once.

Quest: Enter The Arena – select The Arena from the main menu.
Reward: One Arena Key.

Quest: Arrrrrr!!! – acquire every Pirate card.
Reward: Captain’s Parrot (card).

Quest: Golden Arrrrrr!!! – acquire every golden Pirate card.
Reward: Golden Captain’s Parrot (card).

Quest: Mrglglglgl! – acquire every Murloc card.
Reward: Old Murc-Eye (card).

Quest: Golden Mrglglglgl! – acquire every golden Murloc card.
Reward: Golden Old Murc-Eye (card).

Quest: Ready to Go – unlock every hero in the game.

Quest: Ready to Rock – only given to attendees of Blizzcon 2013
Reward: Golden Elite Tauren Chieftain (Card).

Quest: First Blood – complete a casual or ranked match in Play Mode.
Reward: One Booster Pack.

Quest: The Duelist – complete three casual or ranked matches in Play Mode.

How do Wombat and Cheapy feel that there was a Target-exclusive DC animated movie (JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time) released in January with no promotion and likely sold out nationwide now?

Heard this question recently and it made me think hard for my own answer;

What's the biggest animal you could defeat (kill) in mortal combat? No weapons of course..

Hey you guys should weigh in on josh Olin being let go from turtle rock for his tweet. The guy said nothing inflammatory, just gave another view on the topic saying we probably shouldn't have to worry about being wiretapped in our own homes. I'm aware it's a technical free speech issue because this is. Company punishing him for what he's saying and not the government, but don't we as Americans kind of hold the right to dissent sacred? Isnt this kind of scary? Theoretically wouldn't this mean if wombat or shipwreck simply said, "I don't know, I think josh Olin might have had a valid point", that you could be let go from your jobs? Is that right? Does losing your job for not taking the most pverwhelmingly popular opinion, while also saying nothing inflamatory, help us as a society or hurt us?

Hey you guys should weigh in on josh Olin being let go from turtle rock for his tweet. The guy said nothing inflammatory, just gave another view on the topic saying we probably shouldn't have to worry about being wiretapped in our own homes. I'm aware it's a technical free speech issue because this is. Company punishing him for what he's saying and not the government, but don't we as Americans kind of hold the right to dissent sacred? Isnt this kind of scary? Theoretically wouldn't this mean if wombat or shipwreck simply said, "I don't know, I think josh Olin might have had a valid point", that you could be let go from your jobs? Is that right? Does losing your job for not taking the most pverwhelmingly popular opinion, while also saying nothing inflamatory, help us as a society or hurt us?
Uh...they addressed this on the epsiode.

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

What will be out first: the big CAG 3.0 update to fix a lot of stuff or Gran Turismo 7?

Since Wombat is basically the Michael Pachter of MMOs, what do you guys think about the only publisher other than Blizzard to have a successful paid subscription MMO being Square Enix? Considering how many financial issues they've had with their Eidos games not meeting insanely high projections and the general failures of the paid subscription MMO business, it's crazy to think that Final Fantasy XI has been that much of a success and the Final Fantasy XIV reboot/sequel also seems to be off to a great start after such a disastrous PC launch a few years ago. Do you think Blizzard missed an opportunity to dominate the barren console MMO with a controller-friendly World of Warcraft port on PS3/Xbox 360? Should they take that market more seriously with Titan now that PS4 and Xbox One are better designed for constantly updated games?

What's up guys?  How about a watch this bitches for Attack on Titan (now available on Netflix).  I've never been a huge anime guy, but AoT is fantastic.  My dreams are haunted by non-genitaled, uncanny-valley-eyed, humanoid titans.

I caught the first episode of Attack on Titan on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network this past weekend, good stuff. 

Did you guys watch this week's episode of Arrow? If so what did you think and what are your thoughts leading into next weeks finale?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but why is backward compatibility such an issue?  To me it's like being told my Bluray player will not play DVDs or CDs.  It seems like a computer that can't play previous versions of a current media(CD/DVD/Bluray) is just being limited by the manufacturer, especially when it's platform specific. A simple explanation would be great, and use of puppets would be a plus.

I have to say thank you for the site's collection function.  I'm such a media hoarding backlogger that I've purchased multiple copies of a game by mistake, but now that I've got a personal catalog available on the go, I've been able to save myself the personal disappointment in at least one area of my life. CAG 2.0 is pretty great. 

Hey Cheap, Wombat, and Shipwreck,

How happy do you think Harmonix is in the wake of the upcoming removal of Kinect from the Xbox One as the only remaining developer of an upcoming Kinect exclusive game?

What does it say about Don Mattrick that Phil Spencer replaces him and immediately lifts the paywall for apps and drops the Kinect from the Xbox One's box? Should Don's legacy be considered good or bad or is it too early to tell just yet?

How in the crap does Shipwreck not love Hearthstone?  It's all math and strategy and collecting with the nerdiest presentation imaginable!  Obviously I only know you guys from listening to the podcast but I'm pretty sure these are Shipwreck's 4 favorite things.  It's the game I never knew I always wanted!

What do you guys think of the announcement that Rockstar has sold 33 million copies of Grand Theft Auto 5 vs the Wii U software sales of 32.28 million games sold lifetime to date across all titles. That is simply mind-blowing....

Last edited by a moderator:
With Microsoft making huge announcements and hyping up there E3 lineup, Sony has been surprisingly quiet. Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? I know their outselling the Xbox one so they dont really need to speak up as much, but are they that confident in their lineup or do they just have nothing to combat this MS hype thats building up?

Now that Microsoft has given the option to buy an Xbox One without Kinect, should Nintendo give us the option to buy a WiiU without the gamepad, replacing it with the pro controller?

Hey guys - It seems like every day I'm seeing a new discounted PS4 or XBox1 or Wii U bundle.  We all know the X1 is dropping the basic price after E3...do you think we may also see PS4 and Wii U price drops around the same time?  That would be pretty sneaky of Sony to knock $50 off in order to stay slightly cheaper than Microsoft...crazier things have happened, right??

For people moaning about the Far Cry 4 cover can they not just do a reverse cover on one side a cover with the guy with the grenade and a side without?

Do you see the wii/wiiu, 360/One, or PS3/PS4 marketplaces being combined, or are our digital purchases limited to generation?

To Wombat: Please explain why the new X-men flick was good. I thought you would of caught the inconsistencies and bash the film. Instead, you gave it go.

I'd like to hear some e3 predictions on the show.

Also how did you guys meet? I've been listening for a while now and its never been mentioned.

I would love to hear some thoughts on how large or small of a role leaks play in the industry. Do y'all think there are possible negative outcomes for developers and publishers or do you think leaks are more or less trivial?  

I'd like to hear some e3 predictions on the show.

Also how did you guys meet? I've been listening for a while now and its never been mentioned.
I actually just saw this Shipwreck post on an old archive thread:

0OHzDnn.jpg

So it looks like Wombat and CheapyD were doing the cagcast and then Shipwreck joined up. Do they know each other personally though? Who knows.

Would any of you go to a movie theater to see the Sony Press Conference if you were at home and not at E3? Only people I could see going is a game publisher taking their employees to see their game on a big screen or something like it.

So it looks like Wombat and CheapyD were doing the cagcast and then Shipwreck joined up. Do they know each other personally though? Who knows.
I don't remember exactly when but maybe around episode 75-100 is when Shipwreck joined permanently. And of course they know each other personally - they talk every single week for hours at a time and meet up at E3 every summer! I wish I could spend that much time with my very best friends but life really gets in the way.

Wombat on CagCast #66 you revealed that your wife's psychiatrist said that you should masturbate more, but refused to explain why. When re-listening to the episode I felt like this is a question you would answer these days. Will you finally reveal why?

Love the show, keep up the great work guys.

I don't remember exactly when but maybe around episode 75-100 is when Shipwreck joined permanently. And of course they know each other personally - they talk every single week for hours at a time and meet up at E3 every summer! I wish I could spend that much time with my very best friends but life really gets in the way.
Haha good point. I was actually wondering if CheapyD and Wombat knew Shipwreck personally when they all started podcasting together, bad wording on my part. Either way, I totally know what you mean. Back in the junior high / high school days of hanging out with friends playing/talking about video games was legit. The real world gets two thumbs down.

Do you really expect any big announcement at E3 this year or is this going to be just a so-so year?  Is there a sophomore slump for video games?  (Being that last E3 was the first year of next gen.)

I have yet to jump into next gen. This is partly due to the free games I am getting from Games with Gold and PS+. How long do you think they will keep these programs going for 360 and PS3?

So Cheapy, Rangers vs. Kings during E3? Are you off to StubHub to get tickets?

I can't even remember, are you a Rangers, Islanders or Devils fan?

Cheapy with the new Forza Horizon 2 info revealed, how are excited are you to be playing this game? Is this your first big reason to bust out your Xbox One?

Hey Guys,

Is anybody excited about Homefront 2? Did anybody enjoyed the first game? I remembered in a previous podcast, Cheapy was impressed by the marketing campaign, but disappointed about the gameplay. Lastly, what are your thoughts about the alternate reality where Kim Jung-Un’s armies occupy America?

Thanks

Hey Guys

It's been a crazy few days leading up to E3.  I really can't remember a year where so many seemingly "big" announcements were made in advance of the conference, can you?  Do you think that (A) this bodes well for an amazing E3 2014 with lots of cool reveals ahead, or (B) that companies in general are trying to get their message out ahead of the masses, and, therefore taking a little bit of the wind out of this year's event?

Personally, I think it's "B".  In this day and age you have to find the best way to get your voice heard, and the days of the big conference reveal on an E3-type level may be gone in favor of a more "Nintendo Direct" approach.

Can't wait to hear the E3 predictions!  Personally I'm hoping for info about Just Cause 3, Crackdown 3, Virtual Reality stuff (Morpheus and Oculus) and (maybe) Pokemon Snap U... I can dream, can't I?

So it looks like Amazon France has leaked a PS4/Vita bundled pack, so my question is: How much do you think this will help vita sales? What should Sony be charging for this to make it successful? I'm thinking $500 would be very tempting.

*edit: looks like the price has leaked also, $560... seems a little high to me, sure you have $40 but I thought Sony would be more aggressive with this.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

What are the chances of Xbox One's standalone Kinect actually selling considering it has been getting constant negative criticism since the big reveal last year? I can't imagine that Microsoft is going to spend a ton of money to try to change that perception through marketing.

My take on the 2014 E3 Audiboos

Unfortunately, I think the hosts of Cheapassgamer have jumped the shark.

God, I hate to say that as I've listened to you guys for years.  But everything has a season.  Time to turn to more open and intelligent discussions.

Can't wait to hear how Shipwreck (who seems to be the voice of reason on this site) justifies that the Nintendo figures don't make sense after he's spent sooo much time talking about Skylanders (that's ONE or TWO games, right??).

- they can be used with more than one property (can skylanders/infinity do this?)

You guys totally slagged off the Sony and Nintendo conferences.

I'll keep visisting CAG for the cheapass DEALS (which are hardly even mentioned by the Cagcast), but I think I need to realize the editorial staff is set to favor Xbox / PC stuff for better or worse.

Can you guys finally admit that Nintendo is the best?  Toad has his own game!  No one saw that coming!!  SUCK IT rest of industry.

So after E3 I'm moving up my time table for a new console from probably 2015 to really soon.  I'll eventually own all three (I have a WiiU, which I actually really like) but I'm really on the fence for what to get first - PS4 or Xbox One.  What are your thoughts after seeing everything at E3?

bread's done
Back