[DEAD]Amazon's Biggest Anime Sale of the Year-Tons of Anime Blu-rays and DVDs on Sale

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zaku77']The Yu Yu Hakusho sets looks incredible. I believe they were actually properly remastered because the difference in picture is significant![/QUOTE]Yu Yu Hakusho was shot on film, which is why it looks great on BD.

Just got my Claymore, Eden, and Samurai Champloo BDs. I'm amazed how entire series can fit in one standard case now and almost thought they sent me the wrong disc ha. Really saves on shelf space, which is nice.

[quote name='shadow17x']How is Soul Eater? I'm really torn on getting the Meister collection and going in on this as a blind buy.[/QUOTE]

The first half is thoroughly enjoyable. Good humor, great animation, and often quite intense. After the half way point it becomes pretty bad though. Still a great price for what you're getting though.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The first half is thoroughly enjoyable. Good humor, great animation, and often quite intense. After the half way point it becomes pretty bad though. Still a great price for what you're getting though.[/QUOTE]

This sums up what I would say about soul eater. The story fell apart after the half way point and didn't live up to the potential that it could have. Its still something worthwhile to see, but not something to own imo.

Is the quality of the new Trigun Funimation release any better in terms of picture? I have the really old individual dvd releases.

I really want yu yu hakusho on blu, but i already have it on dvd. I'm about to start season 2, which is still sealed. I guess I could sell it but that's a bit of a hassle, or i could just accept that I can't get everything i want

/spoiled only child

[quote name='SeanAmI']Is the quality of the new Trigun Funimation release any better in terms of picture? I have the really old individual dvd releases.[/QUOTE]

Nope, and it's actually a downgrade from Geneon's Trigun Remix discs, which restored the original openings.

[quote name='nintendofan9999']Sengoku Basara was ok. Nothing spectacular. I'd watch a few episodes online before buying it to see if you really like it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's entertaining enough, and it helps that it doesn't take itself seriously, but I don't think it's something I'd ever watch again. Combine that with the fact that you're only getting 12 episodes at its current price, there are much better shows that could be chosen during this sale.

Really looking into DBZ Kai 1, 2, 3, 5, and Summer Wars right now.

But I don't wanna keep spending. Ugh.

[quote name='nintendofan9999']Sengoku Basara was ok. Nothing spectacular. I'd watch a few episodes online before buying it to see if you really like it.[/QUOTE]

I watched the first 10 mins. of Sengoku Basara and then turned it off.

I just bought Gunslinger Girl: The complete First Season a week ago for $24... Oh well. Grabbed Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino and Ga-Rei: Zero.

Does anyone know much has Ga-Rei: Zero been costing prior to the sale?

[quote name='brb214']I just bought Gunslinger Girl: The complete First Season a week ago for $24... Oh well. Grabbed Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino and Ga-Rei: Zero.

Does anyone know much has Ga-Rei: Zero been costing prior to the sale?[/QUOTE]

About $40 through Amazon, although you can get it for $30 Walmart, but still a bit more expensive than Amazon's current price.

[quote name='Squarehard']Some of the titles are starting to have ridiculously long ship dates. :D[/QUOTE]

I ordered DBZ Kai 2 & 5 and Cowboy Bebop the movie on the first day of the sale and my items have still not shipped yet.

[quote name='btt']I ordered DBZ Kai 2 & 5 and Cowboy Bebop the movie on the first day of the sale and my items have still not shipped yet.[/QUOTE]

I have a similar situation. I ordered DBZ Dragon Boxes 1, 3-6, DBZ Kai Parts 1-5 on Blu Ray, Samurai Champloo Complete Series, and Trigun Complete series a week ago and they've still haven't shipped mine either.

[quote name='btt']I ordered DBZ Kai 2 & 5 and Cowboy Bebop the movie on the first day of the sale and my items have still not shipped yet.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FireWarrior']I have a similar situation. I ordered DBZ Dragon Boxes 1, 3-6, DBZ Kai Parts 1-5 on Blu Ray, Samurai Champloo Complete Series, and Trigun Complete series a week ago and they've still haven't shipped mine either.[/QUOTE]

Are you using free saver shipping? My friend has this issue on most things ordered using it. I know it is free, but wow.

[quote name='Joda84']Are you using free saver shipping? My friend has this issue on most things ordered using it. I know it is free, but wow.[/QUOTE]

FSSS gives 5-8 business days before actually shipping out. It may take even longer when an item ordered has an amount of days/weeks listed in regards to when it can ship (probably due to limited stock/supply). If you have an order that has all but one item readily available to ship, that one item could hold back the order.

From my experience, ordering something on Sunday (for example) using FSSS doesn't guarantee shipment by Friday/Saturday. I'd almost always expect it by Wednesday of the next week.

If you order from Amazon often and have already exhausted a Prime trial, I actually think Prime is well worth it for the 2-day shipping. It'll eventually pay itself off if you order enough.

[quote name='darrenf619']If you order from Amazon often and have already exhausted a Prime trial, I actually think Prime is well worth it for the 2-day shipping. It'll eventually pay itself off if you order enough.[/QUOTE]
Unless you regularly buy things that don't qualify for free shipping, or are impatient enough to often require expedited shipping, I don't see how you could ever reason that it pays for itself. Not judging, just saying that I'd rather have an extra $79 and wait a week or two for my orders, convenient though it has been.

[quote name='Shinpachi']Unless you regularly buy things that don't qualify for free shipping, or are impatient enough to often require expedited shipping, I don't see how you could ever reason that it pays for itself. Not judging, just saying that I'd rather have an extra $79 and wait a week or two for my orders, convenient though it has been.[/QUOTE]

I think of it as paying less than $7/month for 2-day (and sometimes 1-day depending on the item) shipping and Amazon Video on Demand. You pay it all up front, but when thought of as a monthly fee it's really a good value. It's just paying it all up front that is probably the hardest thing for most people to do (and that's completely understandable).

As for paying for itself, if you order enough times (both big orders and small), the amount that would be spent on expedited shipping could easily match the fee to have Prime within the first 2-4 months. It's more or less something for people who use Amazon A LOT (like myself). It also bring convenience in the sense that you don't have to fill up your cart to $25 every single time to get free shipping.

To each their own, though. I find tremendous value in it. Others don't. Completely understandable.

[quote name='Joda84']Are you using free saver shipping? My friend has this issue on most things ordered using it. I know it is free, but wow.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did and I'm actually not all that worried about it. I can afford to wait and I finally got noticed that my cc was charged so the order is getting ready to ship any day now.

Ordered the Galaxy Railways S.A.V.E. set they had marked down to $12.99 friday(& got it for free due to promo credit). Completely forgot how crappy the packaging is for these S.A.V.E. sets. Putting all 6 discs in cardboard sleeves is basically asking for them to get scratched up.

ordered Initial D: Fourth Stage, Part 1&2, Samurai Champloo: The Complete Series [Blu-ray], Darker Than Black: Complete Season One, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Part 3&4.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Ordered the Galaxy Railways S.A.V.E. set they had marked down to $12.99 friday(& got it for free due to promo credit). Completely forgot how crappy the packaging is for these S.A.V.E. sets. Putting all 6 discs in cardboard sleeves is basically asking for them to get scratched up.[/QUOTE]

My copy didn't take long to get scratched.:cry:

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']is it a good show? its available on netflix i think[/QUOTE]
School Rumble is hilarious and a must have for fans of school life anime. You're right, the whole series is available on Netflix streaming. You can watch just the first 2 episodes to determine if you'll like the series or not. Watch the first 6 episodes for full effect.

If you watch the whole series, the order is: season 1, extra class, season 2. Extra class contains scenes removed from the first season so you have to finish season 1 first and then recognize where these scenes fit in the timeline.

Has anyone seen Claymore? I am looking for a good Anime to get into with this sale and I want something that has finished already. Any other suggestions if Claymore sucks are much appreciated. Thanks.

Claymore isn't really complete, it was one of those where the first half followed the manga. Then they made up the rest like in Full Metal Alchemist.

[quote name='ccm0628']Has anyone seen Claymore? I am looking for a good Anime to get into with this sale and I want something that has finished already. Any other suggestions if Claymore sucks are much appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Meh, it's merely okay. Do you already own Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood, too), Eden of the East, and Baccano?

Being able to see the manga scenes from Claymore in anime form was great. The series was good up till I think ep. 20 which is where they started making stuff up. I wish they did what Berserk did and just left off on a particular arc instead and gave it a chance to have another series in the future.

Received my Dragon Boxes today, but there was something wrong...
I see my Volume 3 damaged...more than I could handle as a collector. I go for the replacement on Amazon and its out of stock! Such luck!
I contacted Amazon about it and got it squared away.Basically just have to wait for it to be restocked.
Pics:
5957060436_ddc9c785cb.jpg

5956500343_0bfb2e3f6a.jpg

[quote name='shadow024']Received my Dragon Boxes today, but there was something wrong...
I see my Volume 3 damaged...more than I could handle as a collector. I go for the replacement on Amazon and its out of stock! Such luck!
I contacted Amazon about it and got it squared away.Basically just have to wait for it to be restocked. [/QUOTE]

I had that problem with a couple Negima! LE volumes that arrived today from Amazon. Each box was pretty banged up, but that's probably due to the fact that they stuffed each one into a bubble mailer(wtf?). As for the people wondering why I ordered individual volumes, look up the Collection set prices on there(cheapest one is $80).

I've got a little more credit that I'm looking spend during this sale, but can't decide on what to get. The ones I'm looking at are Blue Gender + movie(Classic set), Claymore and possibly Pumpkin Scissors. For anyone that has seen these, which one would be the best choice?

[quote name='shadow024']Received my Dragon Boxes today, but there was something wrong...
I contacted Amazon about it and got it squared away.Basically just have to wait for it to be restocked.
Pics:
5957060436_ddc9c785cb.jpg

5956500343_0bfb2e3f6a.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Stuff like that happens to me a lot on amazon, not as much as it used to. Last year 2/3 of the stuff they sent me came damaged..... I returned them, or exchanged.... The closed my account.

Good thing I used a few other email address to get 3 more months of prime, and made a new account, hah.

[quote name='tangytangerine']I had that problem with a couple Negima! LE volumes that arrived today from Amazon. Each box was pretty banged up, but that's probably due to the fact that they stuffed each one into a bubble mailer(wtf?). As for the people wondering why I ordered individual volumes, look up the Collection set prices on there(cheapest one is $80).

I've got a little more credit that I'm looking spend during this sale, but can't decide on what to get. The ones I'm looking at are Blue Gender + movie(Classic set), Claymore and possibly Pumpkin Scissors. For anyone that has seen these, which one would be the best choice?[/QUOTE]

Wtf, I didn't know Negima! would appreciate. I have a sealed Viridian set that I bought from BBY when they had a 50% off clearance at some stores, and it's on Amazon for $150. Crazy.

P.S. I thought the show sucked, and couldn't even finish it.

[quote name='ccm0628']Has anyone seen Claymore? I am looking for a good Anime to get into with this sale and I want something that has finished already. Any other suggestions if Claymore sucks are much appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Do you like Berserk or Demon's Souls? That's the best comparison I have because it follows the dark fantasy genre with demons. It has great pacing, unlike other anime who like to build up hype for battles over 20 episodes and each episode has a good cliffhanger. I'd recommend it if you're into that sort of thing and I enjoyed it overall.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Stuff like that happens to me a lot on amazon, not as much as it used to. Last year 2/3 of the stuff they sent me came damaged..... I returned them, or exchanged.... The closed my account.

Good thing I used a few other email address to get 3 more months of prime, and made a new account, hah.[/QUOTE]
Your other accounts will be closed down in due time too...unless you changed your name and moved to a new address. Amazon's blacklist measures are fairly comprehensive.

Not necessarily. If your new accounts get shut down for the same reason though, then you'll start having them onyour back.

Anyone else having problems with getting their anime as repackaged items that have been opened already and NOT brand new?

I've gotten one where the inside cases were all scuffed up and fingerprints on the disc, and I got another where the Blu-ray seal on the top of the case was already removed, and on the disc another fingerprint.

Not incredibly happy that I'm getting sent opened and repackaged stuff that are obviously used.

Got FMA:Brotherhood 1 and 2 on Bluray, and signed up for Amazon Prime for free because im a student. Should get them tomorrow. As someone who followed the first FMA series and really liked it should i expect brotherhood to be as good?

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Got FMA:Brotherhood 1 and 2 on Bluray, and signed up for Amazon Prime for free because im a student. Should get them tomorrow. As someone who followed the first FMA series and really liked it should i expect brotherhood to be as good?[/QUOTE]

Aside from the first 11-ish episodes which cover some of the same material as the first series with much poorer pacing, yeah, you'll love it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Meh, it's merely okay. Do you already own Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood, too), Eden of the East, and Baccano?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any of those. I actually haven't watched an Anime for about 6 years now and was looking for something to watch again since this is such a good sale. I'll have to check some of those out.

[quote name='Squarehard']Anyone else having problems with getting their anime as repackaged items that have been opened already and NOT brand new?

I've gotten one where the inside cases were all scuffed up and fingerprints on the disc, and I got another where the Blu-ray seal on the top of the case was already removed, and on the disc another fingerprint.

Not incredibly happy that I'm getting sent opened and repackaged stuff that are obviously used.[/QUOTE]I hope you're complaining to Amazon and asking them to replace the "new" items.

Saw the first thee episodes of Eden last night and it seems to have some love affair with the Bourne Identity. Hoping it starts to pick up because so far its been somewhat boring. Really hoping I don't regret this blind buy!

[quote name='WingsDJY']Is Devil May Cry any good? I like the games, but do not typically watch anime.[/QUOTE]

Avoid the Devil May Cry anime at all costs.

bread's done
Back