Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='Nirron']For staying alive I can't help a ton (as I suck at PvP) but as for getting to 30%, I highly recommend you get the Magic Sword "Makoto" from PWWT in world 4. It drains 1% of your health every second it's equipped, and you can take it off (or switch weapons) right after you see yourself glowing with the aura, so you'll be right at 30%. It's incredibly fun to have Morion + Clever Rat with

option.iv said:
It seems like a lot of guys online can just one hit KO you if you're <30% health.

If your PVP build is built right, you can take people out in 2-3 hits at full health. If your at 30%, of course your going to die in one hit against those type of builds, but you might survive another attack against a regular. Nothing wrong with being in hyper mode, but it does take practice. Since your going to be <30%, the possibility of being 1-hit is extremely high so might as well not use the cling ring. Replace it with something else like the friend/foe ring, thief, etc.

As for stats, it depends what you want. If you think you need the extra Vit to stay alive then go for it. Personally, I rather go for more damage. If you can dodge enemy attacks easily while getting backstabs then there really is no need for high Vit. I know PVPers that have Vit as high as 60, but its a waste since damage builds quickly cut them down, especially dual-wielders (which I now love) or your hyper mode route. Just learn to roll and recognize enemy attack patterns. I also wrote this basic enemy types tutorial other day that might be helpful if your invading.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Supplice']If your PVP build is built right, you can take people out in 2-3 hits at full health. If your at 30%, of course your going to die in one hit against those type of builds, but you might survive another attack against a regular. Nothing wrong with being in hyper mode, but it does take practice. Since your going to be

I heard others mention the lag, but I had only one issue regarding that. I just decided to coop with a random (back when my character was SL 30) and the host that summoned me was literally teleporting. I knew it was his connection and not the servers since I would have been affected just as much by phantom enemy hits. I was glad he was new to the game since he just followed me---just odd trying to find someone who appears and reappears out of nowhere. I hate to run into something like that while engaging in PvP.

I need to get back into playing this, because I had a 30 day gamefly trial so got distracted by that. I was at the part (early in the game) where you have
to kill an arch demon in another world
. I kept dying on the world like usual so I started playing other stuff. It took me a week to beat the tower knight tho lol.

[quote name='Snake2715']I would not overlook this stat however. It made my bows 1-2 hit kill a lot of enemies.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, very useful in the early game as bows have better range than magic. I like to farm the 4-1 reaper w/the bow.

You can argue health isn't that important. At times, you can get one shotted, and that regen isn't going to help by then.

Overall though, str and dex just have better weapons than the blessed weps. Though blessed mirdan hammer is the shit.

Regeneration can help with lower levels, but above SL 60 or NG+ it starts to lose its effectiveness. As for weapons involving Str and Dex, they don't really have "better" weapons just more variety. That is a great thing about DS, every weapon has a con and a strength, but its up to the player's playing preference to pick the latter.

The Miridian Hammer has quite low base damage. Even if you are a STR build that focuses on crushing, it will still be lower in damage compared to other crushing weapons. It is just a supplemental weapon that can be used against anything using a shield or keeping off balance even when scaled to +5, but I have to say it does have nice range. :)

Big night last night. Beat the blue dragon but just running under him and magic-ing him from below. I then took out the boss beyond him. Old king I think -with just three firestorms. Also got the last few geckos in 4-3 so I fully ungraded my sword. I dont have 3 or 5 fully beat so I am off to do that.

[quote name='option.iv']Question, can you still cast spells/miracles with Talisman of Beasts even if you don't satisfy the magic and faith stat requirements?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you would be able to learn the spells in the first place.

I'm not sure about the being able to cast, but I'm sure he'd be able to learn spells/miracles as long as his stats are at the right area. Talisman of Beast (correct me if I'm wrong) reqs are 18 for magic and faith. You only need 10 to learn spells/miracles.

Yeah. I was thinking of using it for convenience, since I planned on using only spells/miracles that don't scale with the magic/faith stat. i.e. evacuation, poison cloud, cursed weapon, etc.

Sorry for double post, but just tested the ToB. I have like 26 int., 10 Magic, and 16 Faith. Of course it says ability shortage, however I am still able to cast spells with it (i.e. evacuate, warding, etc.). I tested with cloak and there was no shortening of the duration. Same with the cloud spells. I believe it just deducts from the magic power and spells that scale with magic, such as soul arrow and the like.

I beat 5-2 last night. Honestly, I didn't really find it all that bad. I do need to go back to get some more of the goodies, but overall it didn't take me that long and it wasn't too annoying. Maybe I was just expecting it to be worse after all the complaining from everyone about this level.

I had more issues with 2-2 than I did with 5-2. Especially after I just put on the Adjuticator's shield and Regenerator ring and ignored the poison.

On another topic: I haven't seen anything about this, so I'm hoping there's an easy work-around or solution, but the targeting system seems to have a huge flaw:

It targets the closest enemy regardless of which way you're facing. This of course also spins you around to then face that enemy, which can either lead to awful falls or just exposing your back to the real danger.

Let me give you two examples, one of which is just very very annoying and one of which has killed me.

1. 3-1. I'm facing toward the jailer across the room and trying to zap him with magic. Whenever I press R3, it spins me around to lock onto one of the stupid dredglings who are standing in the cells or wandering on the walkway behind me. I have to kill all of them before I can target the jailer. Ugh.

2. 4-1 (and 4-2). I'm on the ledge on the cliffs trying to target the golden skeletons ahead of me. Half the time it locks onto a flying manta behind/below me, exposing my back to the skeleton. One time in 4-2 I was luring the skeleton, hiding (thief ring), and then zapping him in the back once he gave up and turned around. So I ran towards his back pressing R3 to lock on, and I locked onto a stupid manta out of my field of vision and it spun me around, causing me to run off the cliff.

Why doesn't it only lock onto objects that are in your field of vision? Locking onto targets off-screen is ridiculous.

Yeah, the targeting issues have been mentioned before in the thread. It can be painful if you're in those levels where you have to traverse narrow walkways that drop off into the abyss.

Finally beat it! Loved the game, cant believe how deep and involved it was. I would love to see an MMO in this vain. Back log is so big I dont think I will be doing any new game + stuff. I am going to send it back to Gamefly. Thanks to everyone for your help. Again -great game!

I've finally got through reading this thread. I was just wondering if anyone wants to try some co-op with me. I am soul level 51. I especially need a little help with flamelurker.

[quote name='Backlash']
I had more issues with 2-2 than I did with 5-2. Especially after I just put on the Adjuticator's shield and Regenerator ring and ignored the poison.[/QUOTE]

Even if you were poisoned, those two items are enough to keep your health up until the poison wears out.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, the targeting issues have been mentioned before in the thread. It can be painful if you're in those levels where you have to traverse narrow walkways that drop off into the abyss.[/QUOTE]

True, especially in 3-2 upper towers.

So I've beaten everything but Shrine of Storms now. Just grinding, as I want to level in preparation for New Game+. How do you guys farm souls? I've been doing 4-2, I timed myself and I'm getting 7002 souls every 50 - 60 seconds (including load), so about ten minutes to get 75k. It feels too slow though, especially for once my upgrades get pricey.

I have been following this thread for a while now. I was about 4 gaming days from buying this game (length of time to finish current game). But this talk of grinding has pretty much changed my mind. I don't do grinding.
~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I have been following this thread for a while now. I was about 4 gaming days from buying this game (length of time to finish current game). But this talk of grinding has pretty much changed my mind. I don't do grinding.
~S[/QUOTE]

It isn't really necessary, more for completist. Do what you like, but it would be your loss. It isn't popping up near the top of GotY lists for nothing.

EDIT - Oh... and if you did choose to grind... it isn't much of one. The combat is weighty and fun so it is always a blast no matter what you are doing.

[quote name='option.iv']Best place is actually probably 4-3.
[/QUOTE]

This plus Soul thirst and I get 44k-50k a shot. Much better than what I was doing before, thanks. What does the black world tendency do?

I haven't done any grinding. If you just explore thoroughly on your own (without using cheat guides or wikis too much) you should be able to keep your level up high enough to be ok.

If I do want to grind a bit, though, I plan on just dropping my soul sign near boss doors to co-op with people. That way I have more fun, get a large amount of souls (hopefully), and get to help someone else beat a boss.

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']This plus Soul thirst and I get 44k-50k a shot. Much better than what I was doing before, thanks. What does the black world tendency do?[/QUOTE]

At Black and Pure Black you get more souls than you would normally. My last game, with White Tendency I was getting ~19k souls from my farming strategy in 4-2, but at Black Tendency it was ~25k, then ~30k at Pure Black. Only downside is that the enemies get tougher.

Also, chances of enemies dropping better items increases (ex. Best chance to get Chunks of Cloudstone from the mantas in World 4 is with Pure Black World Tendency)

[quote name='Backlash']On another topic: I haven't seen anything about this, so I'm hoping there's an easy work-around or solution, but the targeting system seems to have a huge flaw:

It targets the closest enemy regardless of which way you're facing. This of course also spins you around to then face that enemy, which can either lead to awful falls or just exposing your back to the real danger.[/QUOTE]
Stop using locked targeting lol. It will make you a better player TBH.
[quote name='Koggit']So I've beaten everything but Shrine of Storms now. Just grinding, as I want to level in preparation for New Game+. How do you guys farm souls? I've been doing 4-2, I timed myself and I'm getting 7002 souls every 50 - 60 seconds (including load), so about ten minutes to get 75k. It feels too slow though, especially for once my upgrades get pricey.[/QUOTE]
Once you've beaten the game you'll have access to soulsucker and soulthirst. Go pure black WT in world 4 and go backwards through 4-2 killing the reaper, then soulsucking the black phantom and two gold BP's. Should net you 250k souls every four minutes. Of course, the fastest leveling in the game is exploiting with a friend. ;)

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I have been following this thread for a while now. I was about 4 gaming days from buying this game (length of time to finish current game). But this talk of grinding has pretty much changed my mind. I don't do grinding.
~S[/QUOTE]

Leveling (->grinding) is 100% optional

[quote name='Jodou']Stop using locked targeting lol. It will make you a better player TBH.
[/QUOTE]

For melee, I agree. However, trying to quickly hit something with soul arrow/ray or flame thrower without locking on is close to impossible. Those spells are very hard to aim even when standing still. If you're moving, forget it.

(PS: What is TBH?)

To be honest. Blacklash is right though, mages need lock-on for their most of their spells. As for making you a better player regarding melee, maybe. I've seen people miss by a mile without lock-on during duels. lol

Backlash said:
If I do want to grind a bit, though, I plan on just dropping my soul sign near boss doors to co-op with people. That way I have more fun, get a large amount of souls (hopefully), and get to help someone else beat a boss.

I would do that myself, but the general public is dumb when it comes to ratings. :wall:

That lock on problem isn't much of a problem if you already know the spawns of the enemies already. And there really aren't many cases where they pop up behind you in this game.

~S[/QUOTE]
I didn't grind any until I was into new game ++, and even then I stopped after 10 minutes because I got bored.

[quote name='Backlash']

(PS: What is TBH?)[/QUOTE]

"To be honest", I assume

The only time I grinded in this game was to catch-up to my friends so we could coop. Other than that, you gain everything by just playing the game. With one of my characters, I managed to beat Worlds 2, 3, and 5 at SL 15. Grinding is optional, but unnecessary. :)
-
I invaded the most bizarre build today on 5-2. The guy's character went around naked, skin tone green, and was wearing the Fists of God. I couldn't stop laughing because of how awesome it was. I messaged the guy asking if his character was the Hulk, and he told me that it was. He said said he was just doing melee only and doing it for the lulz. I can't imagine how many hours he must have taken to beat any of the bosses, let alone Flamelurker. lol

the more i level the more i get owned in PvP.. seems like if you wanna dominate PvP the goal is to up all your equipment but not stats

and i dunno what's up with my sticky bow but it seems like damage went *down* with my dex... at 30 dex i was killing the 4-2 reaper in one hit, now at 33 dex it takes 2 (on all creatures i do ~5% less damage than i did at 30)... i have no idea why.

[quote name='Koggit']the more i level the more i get owned in PvP.. seems like if you wanna dominate PvP the goal is to up all your equipment but not stats

and i dunno what's up with my sticky bow but it seems like damage went *down* with my dex... at 30 dex i was killing the 4-2 reaper in one hit, now at 33 dex it takes 2 (on all creatures i do ~5% less damage than i did at 30)... i have no idea why.[/QUOTE]

Has the world tendency shifted further towards black? Reaper may be getting harder to kill. Also did you have a ring or something that upped your attack that your no longer wearing?

World tendency more than likely... it goes down... creatures go up. To make the most of your bow, max it out. That bow and DEX are great friends.

And like he said (as well as the other)... it could be equipment related as well.

yeah the bow's maxed. it could be WT, but if anything, i'd have expected it to have gotten whiter. i know it's not pure white though, because i can't get makoto.

i think i'm gonna try to de-level and keep it at 30 dex. i read that up until 30 dex, each point ups bow damage by 5, but after 30, each point only ups it by 2. 6 damage isn't worth 3 points, imo.

[quote name='Koggit']the more i level the more i get owned in PvP.. seems like if you wanna dominate PvP the goal is to up all your equipment but not stats

and i dunno what's up with my sticky bow but it seems like damage went *down* with my dex... at 30 dex i was killing the 4-2 reaper in one hit, now at 33 dex it takes 2 (on all creatures i do ~5% less damage than i did at 30)... i have no idea why.[/QUOTE]

Bow damaged by chance?

Run out of one type of arrow and now using another? heavy arrows are cheap enough and pretty powerful. The distance is not much less.

Lastly I dont recall if you are using two hands or one hand with the bow.

Urg, looks like I missed out on my only chance at getting Pure Darkmoonstone. After beating all the bosses in world 4 I got the world tendency down to pure black and went after the geckos in 4-2 and 4-3. I was able to kill a majority of them, but no Pure Darkmoonstone, only Chunks. Am I correct in assuming I'm screwed for the rest of the game? Too bad because Magic is my main stat and I wanted to upgrade my Crescent Kijil from +4 to +5.

The 4-2 Gecko can supposedly drop it as well. Only fun part (if you're still in PBWT) will be getting past the BP Black Samurai Skeleton.

Did you manage to kill both geckos in 4-3 each time and/or use a Thief Ring/Large Sword of Searching? I managed to get both geckos each time by using a thief ring/LSS and sniping the first with a bow, then running in and attacking the second.

[quote name='porieux']Urg, looks like I missed out on my only chance at getting Pure Darkmoonstone. After beating all the bosses in world 4 I got the world tendency down to pure black and went after the geckos in 4-2 and 4-3. I was able to kill a majority of them, but no Pure Darkmoonstone, only Chunks. Am I correct in assuming I'm screwed for the rest of the game? Too bad because Magic is my main stat and I wanted to upgrade my Crescent Kijil from +4 to +5.[/QUOTE]

Man, I don't know what to tell you - I got about 3 or 4 of those from the geckos on 4-3 during one playthrough. I was trying to get the cloudstones from them (just chunks would do) which are infinitely harder to get.

I really, really, need to finish up my platinum on this. It would suck to stop so short. All I need is to free Freke and Yuria and complete worlds 3 and 5 again for the souls needed for their last spells. The more I wait, though, the more I'm gonna forget how to play ;).

[quote name='Nirron']The 4-2 Gecko can supposedly drop it as well. Only fun part (if you're still in PBWT) will be getting past the BP Black Samurai Skeleton.

Did you manage to kill both geckos in 4-3 each time and/or use a Thief Ring/Large Sword of Searching? I managed to get both geckos each time by using a thief ring/LSS and sniping the first with a bow, then running in and attacking the second.[/QUOTE]

Each time in 4-3 I was only able to kill one and one got away. They are all gone now from 4-3 and 4-2. I don't have the LSS unfortunately.

[quote name='io']Man, I don't know what to tell you - I got about 3 or 4 of those from the geckos on 4-3 during one playthrough. I was trying to get the cloudstones from them (just chunks would do) which are infinitely harder to get.[/QUOTE]

Funny I got a bunch of Cloudstone Chunks. (edited to add) The Storm Beasts drop them occasionally in PBWT.

bread's done
Back