Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

it's the intro to the game. gives you a sum of 1 & 2 for the new players that's all. takes you through part of the 4th book Gears of War Coalition's End.

I still have two achievements left in gears 2 (getting 100k kills and co-op DC) but have nearly none from gears 1.

hopefully my friend can run through it on insane with me but just wanted to know in anyone was interested in partying up for MP? some of the achievements are crazy, at least compared to gears 2.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I still have two achievements left in gears 2 (getting 100k kills and co-op DC) but have nearly none from gears 1.

hopefully my friend can run through it on insane with me but just wanted to know in anyone was interested in partying up for MP? some of the achievements are crazy, at least compared to gears 2.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Add me. I have nothing in gears 1. Would love to work on those with you!

nice clip, thanks popular penguin! wonder if Cole interacts with the other items in the playground?

one question I'd like answered is 'what's the Locust origin, and what did Marcus' father and mother have to do with it?'

I'm only on the third book, so I'm not sure if the answer is in the 3rd or 4th book, or in the final game itself.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']
one question I'd like answered is 'what's the Locust origin[/QUOTE]

Rod said it's gonna stay a mystery.

Skip to 4:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_MaBTdk0w0&list=FLIyMaoHaDGCLO4MLByuFj8Q&index=1

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shadylane']Hey! Add me. I have nothing in gears 1. Would love to work on those with you![/QUOTE]

You'll need the help when beating General RAAM at the end. My niece and I went through on Insane and that was by far one of the most irritating parts. There were a few other parts when you split up and are unable to revive each other that had me "white knuckling" the controller.

Just remember if you go through on insane first , it gives you the achievements for Normal and Hardcore as well. Not to forget you'll get the Achievements for going through using Co-op, and if you also get the COG tags.

I bought Gears 1 for the computer as well. I was happy to get some new chapters in Act 5, not to mention
getting to kill a Brumak.

I'm getting the XBOX wireless controller transmitter for my PC cause I'm not as quick with the keyboard as I used to be. I just like the idea of having, at least, the storyline achievements for both the XBOX and PC port of Gears 1.

I do also try to avoid seeing the gameplay videos just so I'll have it all fresh when I play it, but I'm a sucker for the cut scene videos, like the one with Anya they just released.

Not to mention they have her gratuitous ass shot and do a damn fine job I might add.

[quote name='newslowsad']Getting excited for this one.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, wasn't too big on Gears 2 but I'm really looking forward to putting some time into this game.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']nice clip, thanks popular penguin! wonder if Cole interacts with the other items in the playground?

one question I'd like answered is 'what's the Locust origin, and what did Marcus' father and mother have to do with it?'

I'm only on the third book, so I'm not sure if the answer is in the 3rd or 4th book, or in the final game itself.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I have this sneaking suspicion that
Marcus's mom in the Queen. She just looks too human and vanishes so suddenly in the canon storyline. Its a little far fetched, but I can't be the only person thinking it. I mean, they created the Sires, its possible they created more.

[quote name='Cloyd']For some reason I have this sneaking suspicion that
Marcus's mom in the Queen. She just looks too human and vanishes so suddenly in the canon storyline. Its a little far fetched, but I can't be the only person thinking it. I mean, they created the Sires, its possible they created more.
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised, but Marcus heard her over the speakers in Gears 2 and saw her face. If she is I'll be pissed at Epic for being stupid.

He saw his mom and didn't get excited or say hey thats my mom? If that was his mom why would she ask ''are you the son of adam fenix?''

[quote name='GUNNM']He saw his mom and didn't get excited or say hey thats my mom? If that was his mom why would she ask ''are you the son of adam fenix?''[/QUOTE]

Does he know who his mom is?

[quote name='GUNNM']He saw his mom and didn't get excited or say hey thats my mom? If that was his mom why would she ask ''are you the son of adam fenix?''[/QUOTE]

What reason would she have to tell him if his father didn't? Both sides have been at war for a long time with her son now leading the charge to exterminate her. Wouldn't the smarter play involve holding onto that trump card for a last ditch situation? Adam wasn't particularly forthcoming throughout the trilogy when came to a lot of things and there's no guarantee Marcus met or even knew his mother to begin with.

[quote name='Cloyd']For some reason I have this sneaking suspicion that
[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I've been thinking the same exact thing all along. It's only logical, but of course, Epic can decide to change things up later.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']...there's no guarantee Marcus met or even knew his mother to begin with.[/QUOTE]

I think in the third book, Anvil Gate, the flashback scenes had Marcus and mom together, but I forgot if he was 7 or 10 yrs old.

[quote name='popular penguin']Rod said it's gonna stay a mystery.

Skip to 4:53[/QUOTE]

cool, thanks for the video popular penguin.

Rod kinda bugs me. Many times, he's said this final trilogy will answer all the questions, then he holds that big one back. I know they're planning this like a Star Wars, so maybe it'll finally be answered in Gears 4 - 6 (the prequel Pendulum Wars)?

[quote name='GUNNM']If that was his mom why would she ask ''are you the son of adam fenix?''[/QUOTE]

I think this makes sense cause Marcus is around 36 or 38 yrs old during Gears 1 - 3. And if he last saw her (Locust Queen Myrrah?) when he was 7 or 10 yrs old, then there's a potential 26 - 31 yr gap. People do change a lot in 3 decades; especially from childhood to adulthood. I think Queen Myrrah having that knowledge confirmed would have serious leverage.

(apologies for the multi-quotes)

Lol, yeah I made sure to wrap what I thought in a spoiler tag just to make sure I didn't piss off the CAG community. I started reading the novels a few weeks ago and they add to the game very well. You get some back story on Carlos, who is Dom's older brother as well as Tai, Bernie, and Hoffman. Not to mention some other Gears not seen in the games. I recommend checking them out. Of course, I kind of have a borderline addiction with the Gears series....It's not a problem, I...I...can quit anytime.

Sorry I'm on my phone so I can't spoiler tag but in the newest book right in the beginning when Baird and Marcus are talking about a certain plant Marcus calls it by it's scientific name. When they point out he knew this because his mother was a botanist and he used to walk the hollow with her I'm pretty sure he would remember his own mother if he saw her. Just saying.

[quote name='lewchief']Sorry I'm on my phone so I can't spoiler tag but in the newest book right in the beginning when Baird and Marcus are talking about a certain plant Marcus calls it by it's scientific name. When they point out he knew this because his mother was a botanist and he used to walk the hollow with her I'm pretty sure he would remember his own mother if he saw her. Just saying.[/QUOTE]

You do have a very good point on that one. I'm just saying its an idea nagging at me until it gets revealed or we get more information. I guess since its such an important part of Marcus's past that shapes who he is, but is still a mystery.

final gears 3 MP map revealed.... gridlock! really though? I dont know why they love that map so much to keep putting it in every version of the game. its a good map but come on, not one of my favorites.

Also below show off new paths they made for spawn trapping in trenches and thrashball, looks better.

http://epicgames.com/community/2011/08/final-%E2%80%9Cgears-of-war-3%E2%80%9D-map-revealed/

Gridlock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrqrQw3YKAw

Trenches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aprLufwIFc

Thrashball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwtY94GfpBg

I had the same idea for Trenches (just cut a path connecting both spawns) Very nice. Trashball on the other hand still looks like garbage to me. The new spawn path while welcome wasn't necessary when the spawns switch periodically. I've never been spawn camped on that map in the beta; it's much more difficult to pull off than Trenches. It doesn't seem like they addressed the two actual problems with the map itself - the power weapon eating scoreboard and concession stand camping. I pray that wasn't the only improvement otherwise they f*cked up... again. If that parking lot replaces the Digger/Torque or connects to the concession cage with Cole's cutout it I guess it could sort of work. I still say they should just opened up the grenade spawn into the stands with a long range power weapon spawn to entice players into using the entire map.

I feel the same way about Gridlock but you have to keep in mind the fans also had a say in what maps returned. I loathe River and Day One but their popularity with the community is the reason why the devs brought them back for 3. Those of us that hate them can STFU and deal with it. I know if either of the latter mentioned maps still suck (and judging from the Gridlock vid not much has changed so they probably will...) though I will be quitting games when playing alone before they start. I guarantee it because randoms never rush the right power weapons on both maps. Waste of time.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.'] I loathe River and Day One but their popularity with the community is the reason why the devs brought them back for 3. [/QUOTE]

they were brought back for GOW3?

Unless they cut them at the last minute both maps were confirmed to return in GoW 3 along with Gridlock, Clocktower from the first game and another one (maybe two) that I can't recall at the moment.

oh i think that list was fake, the link i posted today above the videos goes to a link showing the 10 maps that come with the game, and it says complete lineup. So i think that 10 maps are the ones that come on the disc. But the ones you mentioned could be DLC later maybe?

I didn't even notice the link, thanks. Ugh... I bet you're spot on with the DLC claims too. I really don't want to have to pay for maps I hate just to try out a few new ones, but who am I kidding? I'll do it then bitch about it later because I can't quit Gears no matter how hard I try. ;(

Out of the new maps they released I'm looking most forward to Hotel, Mercy and Overpass.

[quote name='The 7th Number']they were brought back for GOW3?[/QUOTE]

Yeah they said 10 maps are going to be included on the disc and they have disclosed all 10 maps, none of which are River or Day One.

I'm liking the changes or what I see of the changes to Trenches and Thrashball.

Makes me want the game even more, if that were possible.

EDIT: Oh I didn't see a second link. Yeah I'll end up buying whatever they release on DLC cuz this is the only game I spend MSP on.

EDIT2: Wow Just watched the Gridlock video, I like that the silverback looks like it's bulky and moves awkwardly and I would think it would translate to the aiming like in other games that have mechs but it looks to be very smooth.

[quote name='thrustbucket']There is enough one-shotting in those videos to make me keep clear of vs. multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure most if not all the people getting killed were bots.

But if you're good then you won't have to worry about getting one shotted. :applause:

[quote name='thrustbucket']There is enough one-shotting in those videos to make me keep clear of vs. multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

...Welcome to Gears?

I honestly don't know what people expect from this franchise anymore.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']...Welcome to Gears?

I honestly don't know what people expect from this franchise anymore.[/QUOTE]

And this is probably the best, most noob friendly rendition as well.

[quote name='hustletron']And this is probably the best, most noob friendly rendition as well.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. Almost everything they've done from weapon balance to level design has been in favor of supporting different styles of play. If you're too shortsighted to recognize and take advantage of it then that's on you. There's plenty of other available shooters out there eager to accommodate you. Feel free to bail out at your leisure.

Besides the less unenthusiastic players I get paired up with in public the better. It's a win/win for everyone. They get to play something they genuinely enjoy and I get to keep the only MP shooter I can stand relatively intact minus the lack of skill and actual teamwork.

[quote name='hustletron']And this is probably the best, most noob friendly rendition as well.[/QUOTE]
Well I would say GOW 2 but the MP is so shit everyone is at a disadvantage especially after TU2 or 3 which made chainsawers literally unstoppable.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
Besides the less unenthusiastic players I get paired up with in public the better. It's a win/win for everyone. They get to play something they genuinely enjoy and I get to keep the only MP shooter I can stand relatively intact minus the lack of skill and actual teamwork.[/QUOTE]

hey gears takes more skill and teamwork than cod :cool:

I've been kind of busy so haven't been able to organize a Gears 1 (boosting) session ;). I'm assuming it'd be simple to set up. Party chat of 8 people, one hosts and invites all. Discuss what kill types and order/setup.

what CAGs are interested in getting Gears 1 online achievements (ranked vs)? need at least 6 for a session.

copy/paste/type if interested:
(CAG name [xbl gt])

1. Gamer SDP [Gamer SDP]

[quote name='Gamer SDP']hey gears takes more skill and teamwork than cod :cool:

I've been kind of busy so haven't been able to organize a Gears 1 (boosting) session ;). I'm assuming it'd be simple to set up. Party chat of 8 people, one hosts and invites all. Discuss what kill types and order/setup.

what CAGs are interested in getting Gears 1 online achievements (ranked vs)? need at least 6 for a session.

copy/paste/type if interested:
(CAG name [xbl gt])

1. Gamer SDP [Gamer SDP]
[/QUOTE]
gow 1 mp isn't like gow 2 mp you have to set up the map before and you're not able to see the hosts name when you create

I think Gears 1 is very One Shot friendly. Gears 2 it happens but if you lancer/hammerburst well enough then you should have no problem. The beta had it polished well too. I plan to use Sawed Off and Retro. I love the retro lancer and mid distance! I miss the digger also

I loved the Gears 3 beta and the only complaint I had was the Trenches level which seemed to be fixed. Anyone here wanna play some Gears 2 tonight around 10 East? Sagebigly7 gamertag. Do some execution, I have a mic and at 95 rank. Gonna use the xp bonus to try and finish up.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']hey gears takes more skill and teamwork than cod :cool:[/QUOTE]

Not as far as the "Shotguns of War 3! hahurhur!" scrubs and their many sympathizers are concerned. I fear the almighty butthurt has forever clouded their judgment. ;)

[quote name='GUNNM']gow 1 mp isn't like gow 2 mp you have to set up the map before and you're not able to see the hosts name when you create[/QUOTE]

That is why they are all going to get in party chat. As long as you know the game type, round length, and amount of rounds it isn't hard to find friends.

My list of games I am getting this holiday keeps dwindling because I just don't have the time to play them, but this remains my number one title. Until I get a bad ass PC I think this and Metal Gear might just do me until after Christmas (Battlefield is up there, but I don't have the hardware to run it on PC and I am going to wait on Ivy Bridge).

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']...Welcome to Gears?

I honestly don't know what people expect from this franchise anymore.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Seriously. Almost everything they've done from weapon balance to level design has been in favor of supporting different styles of play. If you're too shortsighted to recognize and take advantage of it then that's on you. There's plenty of other available shooters out there eager to accommodate you. Feel free to bail out at your leisure.

Besides the less unenthusiastic players I get paired up with in public the better. It's a win/win for everyone. They get to play something they genuinely enjoy and I get to keep the only MP shooter I can stand relatively intact minus the lack of skill and actual teamwork.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can point me to an awesome medium range cover to cover shooter that Gears was initially presented and marketed as then?

When I want a rushing gibfests contests, it was done better in mortal kombat, and even that game has no insta-fatality.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Maybe you can point me to an awesome medium range cover to cover shooter that Gears was initially presented and marketed as then?

When I want a rushing gibfests contests, it was done better in mortal kombat, and even that game has no insta-fatality.[/QUOTE]

If you are playing the game correctly you shouldn't be getting one shotted all that much. It is going to happen because of active and the way someone hits you, but if you are getting blown up constantly it is your own fault and you should take your own advice and start playing the game at range. If you use your lancer and punish people going for objectives/power ups you can stay out of the fight and make a significant impact on the game.

bread's done
Back