GGT 179: featuring a link to the extended Ches-ka/Mo Chocolate sex scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dothog']
So the moral of the story isn't "motion control is bad!", it's "throw all the motion control you want in there, but give me some alternate manner of control that will register 99.9% of the time."[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think they either need to build a game/feature from the ground up with motion controls in mind, or they should just leave it out altogether. If a button can do a better job than a motion control, then they should make it a button press. I'm only in favor of motion controls if they either add something or at the very least don't hurt anything.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
I'm not totally dismissing Galaxy. I just think waggle is retarded in it. It's pointless.

JUST LET ME PUSH A GODDAMN BUTTON LIKE I HAVE FOR THE LAST 27 YEARS. I'm lazy. When I play a game, I just want to chill, not move my arm every time I want to spin.
[/QUOTE]

While I'd have been fully supportive of the option to set spinning to a button press, I actually felt like a slight movement of the wrist was more natural for spinning Mario than a button would have been. It didn't make the game any more active either. You can still be just as lazy about it. It's not one of the games where you have to be sitting up or waving your whole arm around.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I was playing the new Time Crisis on Move, it's amazing how much more solid the controls were back on PSX with the guncons.[/QUOTE]

The tech also used reflections off of your CRT screen, too, instead of actually tracking a cursor using motion IIRC.

[quote name='ihadFG']I disagree. I think they either need to build a game/feature from the ground up with motion controls in mind, or they should just leave it out altogether. If a button can do a better job than a motion control, then they should make it a button press. I'm only in favor of motion controls if they either add something or at the very least don't hurt anything. [/QUOTE]

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ihadFG']I disagree. I think they either need to build a game/feature from the ground up with motion controls in mind, or they should just leave it out altogether. If a button can do a better job than a motion control, then they should make it a button press. I'm only in favor of motion controls if they either add something or at the very least don't hurt anything.

While I'd have been fully supportive of the option to set spinning to a button press, I actually felt like a slight movement of the wrist was more natural for spinning Mario than a button would have been. It didn't make the game any more active either. You can still be just as lazy about it. It's not one of the games where you have to be sitting up or waving your whole arm around.[/QUOTE]
Agreed mostly with the first paragraph. But I don't want waggle just for the sake of having waggle. :nottalking:

I still don't want to flick my wrist around. It adds nothing. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. See Uncharted 1 Sixaxis garbage controls. Balancing on logs and shit wasn't fun at all.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Agreed mostly with the first paragraph. But I don't want waggle just for the sake of having waggle. :nottalking:
[/QUOTE]

I don't either. If a button and waggle are equally viable, they should give you the option for both.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
I still don't want to flick my wrist around. It adds nothing. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. See Uncharted 1 Sixaxis garbage controls. Balancing on logs and shit wasn't fun at all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the shoehorned motion stuff in Uncharted 1 sucked because it wasn't fun. But in Mario Galaxy, I actually preferred a flick of the wrist over mapping it to Z or something (I forget what Z was actually used for). Still though, I do think they should allow you to use a button for spinning if you want to since it's not like the motion control actually affects anything in-game.

Goddamn, Fez has me breaking out the pencil and paper.

Just look at this shit:

OcN2L.jpg

[quote name='ihadFG']I don't either. If a button and waggle are equally viable, they should give you the option for both.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And I'd opt for the button everytime.

I also didn't mind the waggle/pointer stuff in Mario Galaxy much. But at the same time I'd have preferred to just play it with a standard controller with 4 face buttons etc.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I mean how I treat gaming. i don't have to play everything or want to play everything. Wii started out courting the casuals, but now only the hardcore still fire that POS up. Casuals moved on to Kinect. YO BAHDY IS DA CONTROLLA

Now excuse me while I play some Ninja Gaiden 2.[/QUOTE]

I read this as
YO BAHDY IS GODZILLA

I'd buy a kinect for that.

[quote name='distgfx']The tech also used reflections off of your CRT screen, too, instead of actually tracking a cursor using motion IIRC.[/QUOTE]

I looked it up quickly because I was a little interested in how it actually works, apparently the way it used to work with CRT is because they use an electron beam that scans the screen to render the image it can use the horizontal refresh rate of the display and info about the time from the start of a refresh to when the electron beam lines up with the gun to figure out where the gun is pointed. But it doesn't work on new TVs because on DLP, plasma, LCD, and LED all pixels are updated at the same time and there isn't an electron beam to detect the position.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I read this as

I'd buy a kinect for that.[/QUOTE]
Dude, Godzilla Kinect would be the shit. I'd totally play that.

[quote name='whoknows']Fix'd[/QUOTE]
I'm waiting for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3. :cool:

Shoehorned-in motion controls is why I don't own NSMB Wii or the newer DKC. Way to ruin what are otherwise brilliant 2d platformers Nintendo.

(and SuperPhilip, I know you're out there reading this and just fucking fuming)

Indeed. I can't think of one game I've played that has motion controls that was better because of it. When people say the motion controls work well in a game I think they're just surprised that they actually work.

Wow that looks REALLY bad. How is this game any better than DOA 4? Looks like they tried reusing the same graphics but lost the facial animation files and they added super moves.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wow that looks REALLY bad. How is this game any better than DOA 4? Looks like they tried reusing the same graphics but lost the facial animation files and they added super moves.[/QUOTE]

Of course it looks bad. It'd DOA.

In honour of Hank, I've passed on The Witcher 2 for now and instead simultaneously started Xenoblade and Skyward Sword.

This is a terrible idea, of course, but fuck whatever.

The new swordwork feels good, though I miss the running attack that you could do in Twilight Princess. The quick jump thing you can do while climbing is a little silly, though. Fi and Zelda are both pretty boss. Link is an asshole, and everybody knows it - everywhere I go people are all like, "Hey Link, don't destroy my fucking house."

Xenoblade's main character - I wanna say Shulk? - doesn't seem too punchable, but fuck you developers if you think I'm completing all these sidequests. Not having to report back to the questgiver is nice, though. It'll definitely take me a while to get used to the controls/interface. "Menudo" is a terrible name for a superweapon.

Gotta love tons of sidequests. Reminds me of Dragon Age, or shit, pretty much any WRPG. No I don't want to save your daughter. No I don't want to run your goddamn errands. Do it yourself. I think the first person I talked with in Jade Empire had no less than 3 things for me to do for him. lol

Mexican place I go to serves menudo all weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back