GGT #200 With Special Guest Appearances From CheapyD, Wombat and Shipwreck!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='CaptainJoel']This just made me miss the Netflix Live codes so much more.[/QUOTE]

I actually think my netflix xbox live sub runs out in march.

I still have a few codes from that Netflix thing. Since I never play on Live I just use one code whenever I've wanted to actually get on it, and they've lasted forever.

JSP: try punching your computer in the throat.

Or standing behind a pillar and shooting it in the face without looking.

Those two strategies have been working out for me lately.

How did the first Killzone compare to the 2nd/3rd games?
I'm a bit curious about Killzone HD (especially if it had a plus discount for week 1... which I don't think it does, but still...)

After living in CA for almost a year I finally got around to taking the written driving test so I could get my NY driver's license changed over today, wasn't hard at all.

Hopefully I'll be able to vote too (kind of confused because I sent in a registration form last week, and then they sent me back a registration form today to send to them again that seemed to be a copy of what I already mailed to them, who knows just going to mail it tomorrow and hope for the best).

Also, started looking around for another job, basically looking in the San Francisco Bay Area for right now, but I'll probably expand to other parts of California like LA or San Diego, I don't feel like moving to another state after moving across the country less then a year ago (and ideally I'd like it if I didn't really have to move at all so I could settle in a bit more). We'll see I have some leads so far and there are a decent amount of game companies around here that I'm well qualified for, I'm also considering looking into general programming jobs as well since I wouldn't mind a slightly more relaxed work schedule and the ability to feel like I can settle into a location (it's a trade off, haha, the work wouldn't be as fun but could probably still be interesting, but assuming I didn't work at some place with game development levels of overtime I'd have a lot more free time outside of work to actually enjoy life outside of my job, honestly I've felt like my past two jobs have had moments where I feel like work has almost or completely become my entire life and it can wear you out).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']If you fly me out to wherever you live and also buy me mountain dew and doritos I'll go with you.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a party. We could take pictures with the dew and doritos and pretend we're Geoff Keighley.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']How did the first Killzone compare to the 2nd/3rd games?
I'm a bit curious about Killzone HD (especially if it had a plus discount for week 1... which I don't think it does, but still...)[/QUOTE]

It wasn't very good when I played it last about 2 years ago on PS2. I was surprised how poorly it had aged.

[quote name='icebeast']After living in CA for almost a year I finally got around to taking the written driving test so I could get my NY driver's license changed over today, wasn't hard at all.

Hopefully I'll be able to vote too (kind of confused because I sent in a registration form last week, and then they sent me back a registration form today to send to them again that seemed to be a copy of what I already mailed to them, who knows just going to mail it tomorrow and hope for the best).

Also, started looking around for another job, basically looking in the San Francisco Bay Area for right now, but I'll probably expand to other parts of California like LA or San Diego, I don't feel like moving to another state after moving across the country less then a year ago (and ideally I'd like it if I didn't really have to move at all so I could settle in a bit more). We'll see I have some leads so far and there are a decent amount of game companies around here that I'm well qualified for, I'm also considering looking into general programming jobs as well since I wouldn't mind a slightly more relaxed work schedule and the ability to feel like I can settle into a location (it's a trade off, haha, the work wouldn't be as fun but could probably still be interesting, but assuming I didn't work at some place with game development levels of overtime I'd have a lot more free time outside of work to actually enjoy life outside of my job, honestly I've felt like my past two jobs have had moments where I feel like work has almost or completely become my entire life and it can wear you out).[/QUOTE]

That sounds pretty terrible. Luckily between NYC and california you have (had?) probably the largest tech areas in the united states.

Although game programming is hard so you'd probably be bored at a normal development company.

Goddamn, that SISTAR19 sound is fuckin weak. That is some weakass bullshit. At least they were able to put those HS spirit squad practices to use.

Dude its kpop it all sounds horrible. I like that video rei I won't tell you what I've done during said video though.

[quote name='icebeast']After living in CA for almost a year I finally got around to taking the written driving test so I could get my NY driver's license changed over today, wasn't hard at all.

Also, started looking around for another job, basically looking in the San Francisco Bay Area for right now, but I'll probably expand to other parts of California like LA or San Diego, I don't feel like moving to another state after moving across the country less then a year ago (and ideally I'd like it if I didn't really have to move at all so I could settle in a bit more). We'll see I have some leads so far and there are a decent amount of game companies around here that I'm well qualified for, I'm also considering looking into general programming jobs as well since I wouldn't mind a slightly more relaxed work schedule and the ability to feel like I can settle into a location (it's a trade off, haha, the work wouldn't be as fun but could probably still be interesting, but assuming I didn't work at some place with game development levels of overtime I'd have a lot more free time outside of work to actually enjoy life outside of my job, honestly I've felt like my past two jobs have had moments where I feel like work has almost or completely become my entire life and it can wear you out).[/QUOTE]

Good luck on your endeavors and hit me up if you do end up coming down to LA or SD!

All the developers (they're going to keep a small business team around) at my company just got our 60 days notice of being laid off today (basically we can keep working for 60 days but at the end of that we'll be laid off if we're still here), which is what we were all expecting (well the lay offs, to be honest I think we kind of expected them to just pay us out instead of doing this). Just have to settle a bonus with strings attached which I was given when I was first hired so that I can hopefully leave this job at any time (otherwise I'll have to wait for the period I owe that bonus back to pass) and then I'll be totally free to accept a job whenever. Work ethic was already kind of bad (because we've been expecting this for the past couple weeks and had a feeling it was coming before that), today I think it just hit rock bottom, haha.

[quote name='BlueScrote']That sounds pretty terrible. Luckily between NYC and california you have (had?) probably the largest tech areas in the united states.

Although game programming is hard so you'd probably be bored at a normal development company.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the only issue was there wasn't any game development companies really outside of Gameloft (at least stable and well established ones) in New York which is why I decided a move out to this coast, and honestly I don't really regret that, I feel like I have a wider array of options in my general area.

[quote name='j-cart']Good luck on your endeavors and hit me up if you do end up coming down to LA or SD![/QUOTE]

Thanks j-cart, I'll let you know if I end up down that way. I'm probably just going to start applying around here full force and then this weekend I'll look into places down south. There is at least one position at Riot, which is down in Santa Monica, I'll probably apply for since I really like League of Legends and I think that would be a fun team to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Santa Monica Studio and Visceral Games are both trying to come out with a MOAB game. Both are located in the Santa Monica/Marina Del Ray area.

Good luck Icebeast. I probably work in the 3rd largest tech area (DC) and I've been out of work for almost a month. It sucks when companies don't hire you because you don't have exactly what they are looking for. The problem with software engineering is that there is so much to know and you can't be an expert on everything.

BTW, I have a friend of mine who works for Zenimax Online and he's looking around for other opportunities because he hasn't gotten the promotion he expected. Problem is, all the local game companies just finished development cycles and won't be ramping up again until next year.

[quote name='j-cart']Santa Monica Studio and Visceral Games are both trying to come out with a MOBA game. Both are located in the Santa Monica/Marina Del Ray area.[/QUOTE]

Cool I'll check them out j-cart I wouldn't mind working on another MOBA game.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Good luck Icebeast. I probably work in the 3rd largest tech area (DC) and I've been out of work for almost a month. It sucks when companies don't hire you because you don't have exactly what they are looking for. The problem with software engineering is that there is so much to know and you can't be an expert on everything.

BTW, I have a friend of mine who works for Zenimax Online and he's looking around for other opportunities because he hasn't gotten the promotion he expected. Problem is, all the local game companies just finished development cycles and won't be ramping up again until next year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Ya I totally know that feeling, a lot of times I think you just have to accept that you're going to be applying for a position that says they really want some super specific skill set, when in reality a lot of them are willing to accept someone who seems promising and demonstrates the ability to pick up a new skill set quickly (though it really depends on the position and how specialized the skill set is).

And ya I also totally hear that, luckily this is in kind of a good position of the year where it's probably still possible to get interviews but companies might or might not hire you on until the next year depending on how long the process takes, if this had been pushed back to December it would have been awful since basically nobody hires in there and a lot of times the hiring process doesn't even really move, so with this timing I have some time before the holiday season hits and companies kind of shut down, plus I at least have 60 days where I'll still be paid here to see if I can find something (and when things started looking a little grim around 3-4 months ago I began really saving a lot of money so I'm fairly safe for a few months beyond the 60 days if nothing seems to be working out to easily cover my current cost of living).

Good luck finding something, icebizzle.
And don't discount the fact that software development anywhere can turn into that sort of forced overtime headache -- I watch it happen where I work and then I'm affected by it, since I'm QA. :lol:

Inspired by the lead designer of Starcraft 2 saying that they have no plans to fix my biggest complaint about the game and that it's not really an issue anyway: further adventures in shit I have finally realized (last seen: KotOR, as much as I love it, wasn't that great).

The second episode of Half-Life 2 was better than the first. My criticism of there being too much fucking around with antlions remains valid.

If there were other games of that subgenre around at the time, I would have liked the first Dragon Age less and the second more.

I should really try spending a winter somewhere that isn't god damn Saskatchewan some time. On the plus side, the snow is perfect for forts and snowballs right now.

For all the flaws of the pseudo-monster-closets in the new Xcom, I have no fucking idea how the AI of undiscovered enemies worked in the original, or how you could recreate/simulate it in Enemy Unknown without it feeling broken as fuck.

The desert part of Breath of Fire 3 was... really bad. And I have no idea what was up with the fairy stuff or the Australian dolphin monster or... shit, most of that game.

I should have donated to PE using PayPal instead of Kickstarter, but I liked watching the numbers and charts and graphs and all that shit too much. fuck.

Oblivion was a better game than I gave it credit for. It was still a bad game, though.

Morrowind >>> Oblivion, and I'll stick by that decision until I die.

Only reason I played KOTOR was because it was Star Wars and I could be an evil bastard.

Winters suck here too. Cannot wait to hate them again.

Friends back in high school joked about me never finishing Breath of Fire 3. So I sat down one weekend and powered through it. I really liked it overall. I'm a sucker for stories that fast forward time.

Oh yeah, I'm a PC gamer that finished Half Life on PS2, never finished Half Life 2 or Episode 1 or 2, only played Diablo 1 on PS1, never played Diablo 2 or 3, and never played Starcraft. I have played Warcraft 2 at least, and I have 3 on my Battle.net account but I never play it.

I murdered the shit out of Doom though. ^__^

[quote name='icebeast']All the developers (they're going to keep a small business team around) at my company just got our 60 days notice of being laid off today (basically we can keep working for 60 days but at the end of that we'll be laid off if we're still here), which is what we were all expecting (well the lay offs, to be honest I think we kind of expected them to just pay us out instead of doing this). Just have to settle a bonus with strings attached which I was given when I was first hired so that I can hopefully leave this job at any time (otherwise I'll have to wait for the period I owe that bonus back to pass) and then I'll be totally free to accept a job whenever. Work ethic was already kind of bad (because we've been expecting this for the past couple weeks and had a feeling it was coming before that), today I think it just hit rock bottom, haha.

Yeah, the only issue was there wasn't any game development companies really outside of Gameloft (at least stable and well established ones) in New York which is why I decided a move out to this coast, and honestly I don't really regret that, I feel like I have a wider array of options in my general area.

Thanks j-cart, I'll let you know if I end up down that way. I'm probably just going to start applying around here full force and then this weekend I'll look into places down south. There is at least one position at Riot, which is down in Santa Monica, I'll probably apply for since I really like League of Legends and I think that would be a fun team to work with.[/QUOTE]

That sounds pretty terrible. Best of luck.

I was going to make a joke where I told Icebeast that I had connections and then bust out a double entendre that would infer that he should give me head for them but I don't have connections and I don't want him to give me head.

So here we are.

[quote name='Indignate']I was going to make a joke where I told Icebeast that I had connections and then bust out a double entendre that would infer that he should give me head for them but I don't have connections and I don't want him to give me head.

So here we are.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if reverse psychology works on icebeastie.

Don't worry. I can't kill myself until Project Eternity turns out to be an unfinished mess full of half-realized ideas and broken mechanics.

[quote name='The Crotch']Don't worry. I can't kill myself until Project Eternity turns out to be an unfinished mess full of half-realized ideas and broken mechanics.[/QUOTE]
You'll have to help the community fix it, like with KOTOR 2.

Then and only then may you die peacefully.

I still haven't played through all of KotOR 2 with the restored content mod.

That first planet is just so poorly designed. Obsidian, I love you, but you - you, your dead sibling Troika, papa Black Isle - you've made some really bad environments.

[quote name='The Crotch']Inspired by the lead designer of Starcraft 2 saying that they have no plans to fix my biggest complaint about the game and that it's not really an issue anyway[/quote]
i massively dislike sc2, especially their community that thinks they're so entitled to everything.

blizzard sucks and has no idea wtf they're doing. it's a sad day when i and many other SC players prefer LoL to it. it's also amazing how many BW fans moved on to becoming LoL fans instead of SC2 fans.

Unfortunately, I can't get on the Diablo 3 hate-train. I just have no patience for games where "grind out the same boss until it drops something I want" is not just a thing but is the thing for a godawful mass of the community. I can't be disappointed about Diablo 3 because I just didn't give a fuck.

And yeah, I did get a character to level 50 in Borderlands 2, but it came free with my video card, so fuck it. I'm not gonna grind The Bee so I can grind Conference Call so I can grind whatever the fuck that acid pistol that drops from Knuckle Dragger is so I can have a perfect character and nothing to do with it.

I converted my Indiana Driver's license to Maryland pretty fast when I relocated. Change to VA and back to MD.

I did register to vote in MD 2 minutes before the deadline. :p It will be my first year I'm voting. I'm mostly concerned over voting for questions 6 and 7, haha.

Also, I ordered a graphics card.

[quote name='The Crotch']And yeah, I did get a character to level 50 in Borderlands 2, but it came free with my video card, so fuck it. I'm not gonna grind The Bee so I can grind Conference Call so I can grind whatever the fuck that acid pistol that drops from Knuckle Dragger is so I can have a perfect character and nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]

I want that acid pistol. :cry:

What's worse, I want that acid pistol to twink a future lowbie character. :cold:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back