Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

Man, I am loving the car service that Roman provides! I'm using it all the time now, because I am so sick of driving from one island to the next. I just discovered that you can even have the driver take you to waypoints, rather than just "Burger Shot X" or other such places on the map.

I went drinking with Dwayne last night. He was stumbling all over and fell into a stairwell. I laughed pretty hard at that one.

Yeah, you can do that with regular cabs to. Just press LB to hail one when it's near then hold Y to get in as a passenger--downside is you have to pay. So better off using Roman's, assuming you can keep using it with out haning out with him as I lost all patience for taking friends bowling etc.

But yes, using cabs or the car service is a god send. Zewone gave me that tip in the GGT thread, otherwise I'd probably have given up as I was so sick of having to drive around town every time you fail a mission.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Saints Row is a well built game and plays good, but the atmosphere it presents prevents me from liking it at all. Even if people considered GTAIV to have horrible gameplay, the atmosphere makes up for it.[/quote]

Agreed. SR2's environment seems cheesy. GTA IV feels alive, and although the gameplay was not up to the standards of the series, it was still a great game.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']For those who have reached 100%, how long does QUB3D take to beat the high score. Its my last to do for 100% and Im just trying to mentally prepare myself since it looks fairly complicated.[/quote]

It took me about 30 minutes to beat the score and I didn't even know it was an achievement when I was doing it. There is no way you can explain how the game works in a post so all I can say is to play it to get a feel for how it works.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, you can do that with regular cabs to. Just press LB to hail one when it's near then hold Y to get in as a passenger--downside is you have to pay. So better off using Roman's, assuming you can keep using it with out haning out with him as I lost all patience for taking friends bowling etc.

But yes, using cabs or the car service is a god send. Zewone gave me that tip in the GGT thread, otherwise I'd probably have given up as I was so sick of having to drive around town every time you fail a mission.[/quote]

Thanks for the cab tip. I wanted to get the cab achievement, but couldn't remember how to hail one.

Which are the 5 friends that you need for them to like you above 90% in order to get that achiement? I'm guessing:

Roman
Dwayne
Packie
Jacob
Brucie

Are there more friends to meet in this game later?

[quote name='shieryda']Thanks for the cab tip. I wanted to get the cab achievement, but couldn't remember how to hail one.

Which are the 5 friends that you need for them to like you above 90% in order to get that achiement? I'm guessing:

Roman
Dwayne
Packie
Jacob
Brucie

Are there more friends to meet in this game later?[/quote]

Shieryda, without giving too much away, the story may influence your friends needed for the achievement. Roman is not one of the friends, after all, he is your cousin and likes you not matter what. Packie, Jacob, Brucie, and Dwayne are all you have to worry about.

[quote name='The 7th Number']It doesnt take that long. It took me a while since im color blind, and the greens and yellows look almost the same to me. But it wasnt something that took days to beat.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. Beat it tonight on my second try and impressed myself with my score since I've never cared too much for tetris :hot:. Forgot I still have the races with Brucie, and THEN ill be done.

I beat the game two days ago. I played for about 4 days straight and beat it in ~20 hours? Pretty insane, since I restarted the whole game (I was about halfway in my old save). The ending left a dry feeling
I chose Revenge
, it was kinda disappointing. Well, I guess it's time to do all those extra things and achievements. =p

when the hell is the DLC coming? I'm on the verge of probably never playing this game again and would think that if Microsoft wanted to get their $50M worth they would put out some content already

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im still waiting for my key to the city. Ive sent in the letter i was supposed to a while back. Hmmm... cant wait to get it.[/quote]

Me too. Problem is, we may not get it for another 120+ days. According to the site, it says something like "may take up to 180 days to produce." Ah, crap :cry: I emailed it to them as a pdf, hopefully they got it (nervous though seeing that I actually never got the email and had to email them asking if I was part of their list, which I was). I wouldn't doubt that they lost my email.

Haven't really thought about it lately since I haven't played GTA IV since I beat it (on May 14th). Too many games to play. Anxiously waiting for Socom Confrontation beta....

Ahh... Finally 100%. Loved the game, story was meh..started off great but lost its legs at the middle/end. The environment was great, crazy detail on everything, I'd recommend it to everyone and I'll buy GTA 5 down the road. I'll also get the DLC, hopefully some more enthralling plot will be there.

All in all though...I don't know if there will ever be another that can live up to Vice City :cool:

Ok, so I may have a problem, but I'm not sure. I finally went back to finish up the game, and the only 'mission' on the map was Bell. Did it, it was To Live and Die in Alderney.

Now, I have zero missions left on the map. No one I call activates everything, and I've yet to receive any relevant calls in the past 3-4 in-game days.

What worries me is the fact that I only have one save. If I'm screwed, then I'm really screwed, since it would mean beating the entire game from scratch (not going to happen ;) ).

Any suggestions, or am I boned?

[quote name='007']Ok, so I may have a problem, but I'm not sure. I finally went back to finish up the game, and the only 'mission' on the map was Bell. Did it, it was To Live and Die in Alderney.

Now, I have zero missions left on the map. No one I call activates everything, and I've yet to receive any relevant calls in the past 3-4 in-game days.

What worries me is the fact that I only have one save. If I'm screwed, then I'm really screwed, since it would mean beating the entire game from scratch (not going to happen ;) ).

Any suggestions, or am I boned?[/quote]

007, are you sure there isn't a "G" somewhere on the map. Its for Gambetti's missions. You should have been introduced to him before you did Payback with Pegerino (sp.), Gambetti is the old man in the hospital. Did you also receive the gift from Bernie?, hes also a set-up man here so if you haven't yet picked up your gift that he's left you
the Comet
the story won't proceed.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']007, are you sure there isn't a "G" somewhere on the map. Its for Gambetti's missions. You should have been introduced to him before you did Payback with Pegerino (sp.), Gambetti is the old man in the hospital. Did you also receive the gift from Bernie?, hes also a set-up man here so if you haven't yet picked up your gift that he's left you
the Comet
the story won't proceed.[/quote]

I already did all of the Gambetti missions I could, and I remember getting the 'gift' at some point. There's nothing on the map at all in terms of missions.

What worries me is that most of the FAQs I've checked mentioned some sort of text after To Live and Die..., but I never got one.

Mmm..try doing a side mission such as an assassin mission, etc. I guess its worth a shot to try anything that may trigger an autosave and hopefully trigger the story mission. I'll check the guide when i get home and see what else i can find.

Ah ha! Just figured it out. I had to go talk to Pegorino... the mission arrow was there in front of his house, but not the "J" map marker. So, assumably, it was just a glitch where the map icon didn't get activated.

Oh, well, at least I'm back on track now. Thanks for all the help, though, man! :)

I just lost all my save progress in this game. I accidentally deleted my profile and items (I thought I was deleting the profile from my m.u.). There's probably no way in hell to get the progress back, is there (other than by re-starting the game)?:cry:

I decided to shelve GTAIV. I'm around 21.5 hours in (finished Pat and Gerry's missions, was at the point to start on Rays), but I'm just having no fun with the game anymore so it's time to move on to someone else. I gave it a fair shot, it's just not my cup of tea.

Just started the online play last night and had a blast! Did a search but couldn't find anything...What is the best scenario to make money and level up fast?

I never intended to go for the 1000 AP's because of the killing a developer achievment, but I actually got it on my second kill last night. I was shocked to say the least. Now Ima try hard for the rest including the highest personal rank, but its going to take $5 million to get it and this seems like it will take a very long time. I was just doing standard deathmatch, haven't really tried the others yet.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Just started the online play last night and had a blast! Did a search but couldn't find anything...What is the best scenario to make money and level up fast?

I never intended to go for the 1000 AP's because of the killing a developer achievment, but I actually got it on my second kill last night. I was shocked to say the least. Now Ima try hard for the rest including the highest personal rank, but its going to take $5 million to get it and this seems like it will take a very long time. I was just doing standard deathmatch, haven't really tried the others yet.[/quote]
That developer achievement is kinda misleading. Basically, if you kill anyone who has that achievement, you'll get it, so, thats why you were probably surprised you got it so fast. =p

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']really I didn't know it was possiable for someone NOT to like GTA IV![/quote]

San Andreas was so much better than GTA IV. The story line in GTA IV was the only thing it had going for it. After I beat it, I pretty much never touched the game again.

[quote name='shinryuu']That developer achievement is kinda misleading. Basically, if you kill anyone who has that achievement, you'll get it, so, thats why you were probably surprised you got it so fast. =p[/quote]

Right..I didn't realize it was viral till I starting looking it up online afterwards, I would've starting the online a whole lot sooner! How long does it take to level up though, seems like levels 7-10 take a major amount of grinding.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']really I didn't know it was possiable for someone NOT to like GTA IV![/quote]

The only thing I don't like is that the controls could use some tightening. Other than that, I have enjoyed this game more than I thought. I tried getting into GTA III before and all I would care to do is carjack fools and drive around like a maniac. With GTA IV I actually enjoy the missions.

[quote name='DarkRider23']San Andreas was so much better than GTA IV. The story line in GTA IV was the only thing it had going for it. After I beat it, I pretty much never touched the game again.[/QUOTE]

Aside from the addition of covering, I agree with you. ;)

[quote name='Foo228']Aside from the addition of covering, I agree with you. ;)[/quote]

And the addition of multiplayer. But as far as expanding gameplay beyond the story, that was a huge step back.

Aight I'm having a great time in multiplayer with Car Jack City and Team Deathmatch (haven't tried the co-op modes yet), but after two days, (probably only about 8 games), I'm only sitting at around $9,000. Car Jack City seems to be the best to make the most money for me, however, at this rate...Rank 10 seems like it is going to take months! :hot:

Anyone interested in a little multiplayer boosting tomorrow night? I'm going to assume the achievement score group has already done this, but even if yall still want to play, it'd be fun. I'd like to do the co-op timed achievements and just have some fun with TDM, GTA Race, etc.

I can't play till about 11:30 or 12:00 ET when I get off work, but I'm good till 4 or 5 in the morning.

My GT is: XtremeZr2 (Take the underscore out)

Send me a FR or I'll send you one.

Hopefully there is a few CAGs that still play!

is anyone else playing the GTA Live weekend? i'm not sure why Rockstar is promoting this the Multiplayer system is terrible. if you disconnect you have to go back to single player and start again... wtf???

[quote name='carpwrist']is anyone else playing the GTA Live weekend? i'm not sure why Rockstar is promoting this the Multiplayer system is terrible. if you disconnect you have to go back to single player and start again... wtf???[/QUOTE]

When I saw the ad for this on XBLA, I had the same thought. Why would you call attention to the weakest part of the game?

Well I jumped back on as I haven't played in a while but damn the interface does get annoying after a while. I really wish they had the custom games all laid out so you can pick and choose depending on number of people, map and such. I think they're probably getting everyone back into the multiplayer to get their interest into the fall DLC.

I gave it a shot, and must say although the interface is lame, it was DAMN fun once I got in. I don't know why I haven't been playing it more.

Plus, I got the achievement for killing a Rock Star employee :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever since the patch came out, the multiplayer has been down right ridiculous. I've tried to play everyday for about the last 3 weeks.

My favorites:

Car Jack City

Mafiya Work (And TMW)

and Races...If you haven't tried the races you must! The game's engine is just like a real racing sim.

I had never originally intended to go for 1000/1000 in this game, but Im going to try since It'll be a while before the multi gets old.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Ever since the patch came out, the multiplayer has been down right ridiculous. I've tried to play everyday for about the last 3 weeks.

My favorites:

Car Jack City

Mafiya Work (And TMW)

and Races...If you haven't tried the races you must! The game's engine is just like a real racing sim.

I had never originally intended to go for 1000/1000 in this game, but Im going to try since It'll be a while before the multi gets old.[/quote]

there is a 2nd patch

Yea I love the GTA races, beats Mario Kart hands down.

Weekend event is over, played a lot of Car Jack City, Mafia, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and GTA Races. Trying to grab all the cars for Stevie at the moment and also do the random people encounters.

Quick question- I'm close to finishing the game. Can I get the achievement for friends left alive liking you over 90% after I finish the main story?

[quote name='Matt Young']Quick question- I'm close to finishing the game. Can I get the achievement for friends left alive liking you over 90% after I finish the main story?[/quote]

Yep, you can get that achievement even after finishing the game.

edit. fuck you. just kidding haha

Cool, thanks for the reply. Now I can finish up the game (hopefully) tonight. I've been neglecting it to play multiplayer stuff the last couple days.

Well, after numerous delays including but not limited to a 2 hour phone call, I finally finished GTA IV at 4:30 A.M. I completed Saints Row the night before GTA came out, and now I have finished GTA 6 hours before I get my hands on Saints Row 2.

I finished at 40 hours, 25 minutes, with 71.92% completion. My last play session was my longest at just under 2 hours, 55 minutes.

[quote name='Matt Young']Well, after numerous delays including but not limited to a 2 hour phone call, I finally finished GTA IV at 4:30 A.M. I completed Saints Row the night before GTA came out, and now I have finished GTA 6 hours before I get my hands on Saints Row 2.

I finished at 40 hours, 25 minutes, with 71.92% completion. My last play session was my longest at just under 2 hours, 55 minutes.[/quote]

thats not bad going at all, well done

bread's done
Back