Hurricane Katrina

[quote name='guardian_owl']Ya...I'd say that sucker is going to get ripped off pretty early during the storm.
fatharrys.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yep, bye bye.

They have been predicting a possible disaster in New Orleans for years. The city is surrounded by three bodies of water, the Mississippi, Lake Pontchartrain, and the Gulf of Mexico. The levy's that were built in the late sixties are not big enough to sustain the predicted storm surge from all three of these bodies of water. Plus if the worst case scenario happens New Orleans could be flooded for months because those levy's created to keep the water out will keep the water in the city. To make matter worst, the Mississippi River near New Orleans has chemical and oil processing plants, if those get destroyed, contaminated water will fill the general area and possibly the city.

I just hope anyone still in the city will please get the hell out of there now. You have about 7-8 hours left.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Ya...I'd say that sucker is going to get ripped off pretty early during the storm.
fatharrys.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Since that's where the camera is that thing is definately gonna go flying. I wanna know what the hell is that building or whatever in the background that still has it's lights on.

Looks like its wet(maybe from rain) and windy(maybe from wind). I see some leaves still on branches. I am not joking when I say that this is the most intereesting live webcam ever! Seriously! I havent seen some much live webcam action anywhere!

[quote name='Import']I wanna know what the hell is that building or whatever in the background that still has it's lights on.[/QUOTE]

My vote goes to McDonald's. :bouncy:

I don't know how many Louisiana CAG's are on here, but this is the most serious threat we have ever had. I am in Baton Rouge, but the house I grew up in is in New Orleans, and all I hope is that we still have a house when this is over. All jokes aside, this is serious, and I ask for your prayers for all of us in Louisiana, Misssissippi, and Alabama. Normally, I would say the jokes are in poor taste because we are talking about people's lives, but I understand if you aren't in Louisiana, you can't appreciate the magnitude of this hurricane. I just want everyone to be safe, and pray for us here.

katrinaandthewaves_katrinaandthewaves_jefflp.jpg

I'm walkin' on sunshine, WOAH OH OH!!

They really need to stop with these hurricane names... it's just not right that a storm that will so destructful is named "Katrina". Too bad it wasn't named Karlie.

Sorry to joke around... because this is very serious. I'm dreading how bad this will be. This could serious cripple Lousiana/Mississippi for months. I have a couple friends there too. I pray they are safe... and not many people lose their lives.

they said there's 20,000 - 25,000 huddled up inside the dome.. I really hope they're OK in there, if that thing collapsed.. good lord..

[quote name='kittie']
katrinaandthewaves_katrinaandthewaves_jefflp.jpg

I'm walkin' on sunshine, WOAH OH OH!!

They really need to stop with these hurricane names... it's just not right that a storm that will so destructful is named "Katrina". Too bad it wasn't named Karlie.

Sorry to joke around... because this is very serious. I'm dreading how bad this will be. This could serious cripple Lousiana/Mississippi for months. I have a couple friends there too. I pray they are safe... and not many people lose their lives.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I have some family in Mississippi. I already called them incase we can't get in contact for a while.

It's going to the east of the Big Under the Water.

That means the lake next to it will overflow into the city drowning thousands.

They are so F-U-C-K-E-D!!!!

And like I said the storm is getting weaker, always does before hitting land, now it just needs to stay weak...er.

[quote name='Scorch']they said there's 20,000 - 25,000 huddled up inside the dome.. I really hope they're OK in there, if that thing collapsed.. good lord..[/QUOTE]

I know, that's what I was thinking too. The roof is made of concrete so basically anyone in there has about no chance of survival if the roof colapses. Although, it is curved so hopefully it won't take the winds as hard as some of those tall buildings.

Three of my Halo clanmates are in New Orleans and I hope to God they are okay and well out of danger. Unfortunately the only way I have to get in touch with them is email and they haven't responded to messages today.

I went through a hurricane in 1996 in Richmond, VA. It was a category 3 though and by the time it hit the city it was probably a 1 or 2. Anyways it was still the worst rain, wind etc. I've ever been through. I went and looked up some info on the storm and it crested the James river 11 inches above flood stage. I was working at a TV station there at the time and at one point it had knocked every Richmond area TV station off the air and we were working in the dark for hours.

I can't imagine the devastation this could cause on a city 12 feet below sea level. I've been watching this coverage all day and just keep thinking of the FX movie "Oilstorm" that so many people derided as completely unrealistic.

The city on average is 5-6ft below sealevel. The lowest point is 12ft which hopefull no one is there.

The waves off the coast of LA are 35 feet tall, and the ones close to the center are at 50 feet.

Everyone who is dumb enough to have stayed are in a shitload of trouble.

And putting the people in the doom... i mean dome... they even admited it isn't safe, no where is. Plus they won't have fod or water and it's going to be 150 degrees in there with all the body heat. I remember in FL a staduim was built for use as a shelter and part of the roof feel in a little.

[quote name='David85']
Everyone who is dumb enough to have stayed are in a shitload of trouble.

[/QUOTE]

While there is a great deal of wealth in New Orleans, there is also many people who are very impoverished and therefore did not have the means or opportunity to leave the city. Being dumb or not, if you don't have a car and can hardly afford living on a day to day basis, its difficult to just pick up and leave at a moments notice, which is really what people had 1-2 days MAX warning.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Any guesses as to which will happen first? The power going out or the camera taking a fantastic voyage.[/QUOTE]
I hope the latter. It'd be anticlimatic if it just goes black.

[quote name='dtarasev']I havent seen some much live webcam action anywhere![/QUOTE]

You must not have yahoo messenger..

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I hope the latter. It'd be anticlimatic if it just goes black.[/QUOTE]

Well, even if it does go flying we're not going to see much of it. I don't imagine that there's that much slack in the cable so as soon as it starts to get loose, bam darkness.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well, even if it does go flying we're not going to see much of it. I don't imagine that there's that much slack in the cable so as soon as it starts to get loose, bam darkness.[/QUOTE]
it's still more exciting than just the power going off.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']it's still more exciting than just the power going off.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for someone to stand in front of it with a CAG sign.

Put 'em on the glass baby!! Oh wait, that isn't a girl, it is a water spot. Can someone get out there and wipe off the lens?

OC

In all seriousness, this is bad...really bad. Can't feel too bad for those that chose to stay, but there have got to be a lot of people who just didn't have the capabilities (elderly, no car, homeless, playing Warcrack).

BeadCam and StreetcarCam seem to be the best images. BeadCAM appears sheltered and stable...for now. Fun and games will be over when the power goes out. That will probably happen long before the winds knock the cams down.

OC

Good god, I just saw a car drive by, what the hell are they still doing in there, if that thing floods its going to fill up like the world's largest rain gauge.

I hate the fuck ing news. I hate it with a passion. MSNBC is interviewing this poor soul whos some sort of hotel manager and hes stuck in this nightmare. You can tell hes terrified just by his voice and the interviewer is treating him like hes just part of his job.
How can you have an almost stoic demenor when talking to a man whos pretty much fearing for his and his family's life?
Disgusting.

[quote name='David85']i mean dome... they even admited it isn't safe, no where is.It's going to be 150 degrees in there with all the body heat.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but if they can get people to the Dome at least the clean up crews will have an easier time picking up the bodies.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Yeah but if they can get people to the Dome at least the clean up crews will have an easier time picking up the bodies.[/QUOTE]
:censored:

Well I figure this camera must be running off some separate power source or something as I have seen the streetlights lose power for a minute or two then come back on without losing signal from the camera.

The victims in New Orleans? Only if they show their breasts...

I'm sorry. I couldn't pass that one up.

But Disgaea is getting reprinted this week!

Your OP is condescending and misinformed, but I wouldn't want you to change the status quo.

[quote name='Brak']The victims in New Orleans? Only if they show their breasts...

I'm sorry. I couldn't pass that one up.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='mykevermin']But Disgaea is getting reprinted this week!

Your OP is condescending and misinformed, but I wouldn't want you to change the status quo.[/QUOTE]

?????

bread's done
Back