It's Bigger than "The Hip-Hop Thread"

Didnt read through the whole post.... any Little Brother fans??

They are killing it right now(and for a while) for me. That new Foreign Exchange is just stupid. Best R&B album I've heard in a while. Phonte is an artist...

[quote name='PuertoRock33']Didnt read through the whole post.... any Little Brother fans??

They are killing it right now(and for a while) for me. That new Foreign Exchange is just stupid. Best R&B album I've heard in a while. Phonte is an artist...[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge LB fan. And I totally agree with you on all that, I LOVE Leave It All Behind.

New Clipse mixtape dropped yesterday: http://www.complex.com/ENTERTAINMENT/MUSIC/Clipse-Mixtape

[quote name='fart_bubble']Did you get both discs?[/QUOTE]both discs official! hook it up!!

I shoulda brought it with me today, I'm stuck at work without any new music to listen to -_-

[quote name='JEKKI']both discs official! hook it up!!

I shoulda brought it with me today, I'm stuck at work without any new music to listen to -_-[/QUOTE]

Though the second disc is really fucking good (there are two songs I didn't like), the first disc (the instrumental one) is the one I always listen to.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Though the second disc is really fucking good (there are two songs I didn't like), the first disc (the instrumental one) is the one I always listen to.[/QUOTE]

This is off topic from your post, but Joe Beats just posted the album art for a new DJ Signify record. Thought you'd wanna know. It drops Jan. 20.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']This is off topic from your post, but Joe Beats just posted the album art for a new DJ Signify record. Thought you'd wanna know. It drops Jan. 20.[/QUOTE]

Really? I was wondering what happened to that guy, awesome DJ

wish the new one from Deepspace5 would come out

Also, the new Ugly Duckling is really fucking good

edit: one more thing, though I expected it to be bad, Common's new one is even worse than I expected

I'm shocked people think Common is that bad... there's only 10 songs, 2 suck, and the rest are solid for what it is...

It's an album of light neptunes beats, what were people expecting??

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm shocked people think Common is that bad... there's only 10 songs, 2 suck, and the rest are solid for what it is...

It's an album of light neptunes beats, what were people expecting??[/quote]

I dunno, I haven't given it a listen yet but it's getting hammered pretty bad thus far.

Here is one of the more interesting reviews from Rateyourmusic (from laserx54):

I was just going to give this one a bad rating and get on with my life. But I was really taken aback with Common's latest album. It continues to amaze me how far removed the rapper has become from his hip-hop heyday. Granted, I am not the biggest Common fan. I've always felt his discography to be really overrated. However even I must admit that at one point that Common (Sense) was a pretty talented MC. I like his stuff around the late '90s/early 00's especially when he hooked up with the Lyricist Lounge people. Nowadays he's pretty much enveloped in Hollywood. He's the friendly-faced image to counteract every negative stereotype associated with hip-hop. And it's not limited to his lousy acting roles. Lately he's been pretty forthcoming with appearing on TV commercials. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this new album is fucking terrible. I'll look past the fact that Pharrell made this album extremely soft and poppy. What really bothers me is what he has been saying recently. Back when this was slated for a summer release, Common said that this was going to be a fun album to help us make it through these tough times. Hip-hop's more discerning heads will take this as him officially selling out. But the thing that really made me shake my head is the lyrics. On "Announcement" he actually says that hip-hop is his bitch. This from the guy who went out of his way to call out Ice Cube for the very same thing. And on the title track he encourages the women in the club to pop their coochies. Didn't he basically make a career rapping against this stuff? What the fuck is this??? This kind of hypocrisy really bothers me, especially coming from the guy that claims to be an upstanding citizen in the hip-hop community.

If the music biz expects us to put this in our iPod playlists as the antidote to TI and Lil Wayne, thanks but no thanks. I'd rather stick to my Cube albums and have peace of mind.

I think this review pretty much nails Common's - Universal Mind Control right on the head.

Common :: Universal Mind Control
G.O.O.D. Music/Geffen

Author: Jesal 'Jay Soul' Padania

The following excerpts may have been stolen and transcribed from Common's Dictaphone. Everything recorded was supposed to make up his forthcoming unofficial auto-fictional-biography, entitled "Common: I Used To Love H.E.R (But Now I Am Realising My True Dream Of Being A Bit-Part Hollywood Actor)." JANUARY: "Thinking back on my childhood, hippity-hop was really only a minor player. I mean, I used to be a pretty shit hot basketball player, actually. I could drink like a motherfucker, too. But, honestly? It was always the lure of the silver screen that attracted me most... I remember sneaking into the cinema during matinee shows - my friends would go and watch the Saturday cartoons, but I was watching ‘Scarface.’ I remember it so clearly, this epiphany moment, studying F. Murray Abraham's glorious bit-part rendition of Omar Suarez... fuck Al Pacino, I knew at that PRECISE MOMENT that I would end up being the greatest bit-part Hollywood actor of all-time. Top five dead or alive... Good times... Then that bastard Abraham went and won on Oscar the next year. Sell-out. LIL KANYE! Clear my schedule for the next 48 hours - I feel good, ya little bitch! I think I might release another album this summer!"

FEBRUARY: "Lil Kanye is stuck on his Pac-Man machine. Poor guy... He ain't in the zone to make music for me. So I'ma holla at The Neptunes. I feel good!! I feel like making some club music, make the kids dance, woo hoo!! I'm gonna release it this summer. I feel invincible... That's it! Call it 'Invincible Summer' and fill it with club-bangers! A June release coincides perfectly with the summer blockbuster season, so I can do a couple of days of promo for the album in between takes on my new TERMINATOR movie motherfuckers!! I"LL BE BACK."

MARCH: "It turns out that I was supposed to have 25 pages of lines for the new Terminator film, but since that interferes with my grand scheme of becoming the greatest bit-part actor of all time, I managed to negotiate a 22 page cut. Also, I was thinking that maybe I should take the feel of the album back to when the original Terminator shit came out, when Dick Miller ripped it up as the Pawnshop Clerk... You know, that Afrika Bambaataa feel... That should be a nice current sound for the clubs to bump to. In fact, that was the last time I went to a club, '84. PHARRELL, ya hairless bitch, make me a beat, and a soya coffee too! NOW. I need to walk the dog before my yoga session."

APRIL: "I love filming. You sit in make-up for 3 hours, go on set for about 20 minutes, then you're free to fuck the extras the rest of the day. I've fucked 3 so far - today, that is... I should write a song called 'Sex 4 Suga' for my new, slightly delayed 'Invincible Autumn' album."

MAY: "I heard one of the extras listening to some cat called Notorious Biggie, just before I fucked her and all. He was from the post-Terminator 2 era of hippity-hop. Actually, technically, so was I. Had a lot of blackouts back then, hazy memoirs. I think I'll make a track like him - if I dress it up as revering him, I might get away with it. Actually, I went to London one time to audition for the role of Falafel Stand Man 2 in 'Quantum of Solace' and heard there was a Hippity Hop Karaoke night. That sounds fun, if rapping was your kind of thing, that is. It's not mine."

JUNE: "I keep trying to change my Wikipedia entry from 'Rapper' to 'Actor' - but some motherfucker keeps switching it back... I traced the IP Address to G.O.O.D Music's head office. LIL KANYE, ya little bitch, quit that shit ASAP! And make me a vegan sandwich."

JULY: "Had another vegan sandwich with 2 extras after filming today, if you know what I mean."

AUGUST: "Kanye ran out of quarters for the Pacman machine, so he came and made a song about a girl. It wouldn't really go on his album, so I think I'll take it. It isn't actually too bad a song. I'll just write about what I've been up to this summer."

SEPTEMBER: "I'm really bored of rap. Seriously. Why can't they understand that I want to be an ACTOR? If that Latino motherfucker could become President on 'The West Wing' why can't I do what I want? I've already made like four tracks for the album. Pharrell's bored too, he prefers playing his advance beta copy of 'Little Big Planet' on his Playstation 3 whilst fucking models."

OCTOBER: "FINALLY a productive non-sexual day of post-filming action. Cee Lo came down, and we made a nice song for the album! That is FIVE solid tracks. I can put that out now, right? How many songs do albums have on them anyway? At least 10? Are you sure? JESUS, the Notorious just please us with your lyrical thesis... Frown."

NOVEMBER: "Oh shit, that election thing came round! We don't really talk politics on set - I can't stand it when a Republican and Democrat are taking turns on my Lonnipop, and then they start arguing about fiscal issues. I should make a song about that Obama shit that went down. Oh fuck, he won already? PHARRELL. He ain't here, damn. MR DJ!!"

DECEMBER: "I'm in full swing for promotion - putting it on MySpace - for my new movie, I mean album, 'Universal Mind Control' - I managed to record a whole ten scenes, I mean tracks, over the course of the year, and at least three of them are listenable. As for my rhymes, I favoured Stanislavski over Brecht, and inhabited the character of a typical rapper - I got quite into it, though it can't beat the buzz I'll be feeling on the weekend of 22nd May 2009 when 'Terminator Salvation' comes out! Still, this Lynn-method of 'acting as a rapper' thing might just catch on."

Music Vibes
: 4.5 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 6.5 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 5.5 of 10

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Common's Album barely worth the 99 cents I paid for it, while Q-Tip's CD is not hyped One bit!![/quote]

Q-tip's - the renaissance is the best hip hop disc of the year hands down.

[quote name='cmart05']I think this review pretty much nails Common's - Universal Mind Control right on the head.[/QUOTE]

lol is that from rapreviews.com???

maan those guys are the worst writers ever, they couldnt nail shyt on the head even with Thor's hammer!

o yah, I recently listened to the Crucial Conflict album that came out this year.

yup, but there's not much else to say about it lol.

Google is God as far as I'm concerned right now. Does anybody remember the dope ass female emcee heavily affiliated with Punchline & Wordsworth, Jane Doe? Blackstar's Twice Inna Lifetime right? Well ever since then I had been tracking down her whereabouts off and on for years trying to find SOME KIND of album or mixtape from her until now.

http://therealfrequency.podbus.com/blog/2008/08/21/unlocking-the-vault-jane-doe-the-introduction-lp/

I FOUND A LP BITCHES!

Well... technically I stumbled upon a torrent of a rare track from her which happened to have the LP title on it then followed up from there... but who cares! Specifics aren't important!

I'm so happy. :D

I still haven't the slightest idea what happened to her... but I've finally found closure. She was shaping up to be one of my favorite females until she disappeared and judging from its supposed release date before it got chucked in the vault I'm not likely to find anymore completed work. ;(

The only chick I can think of putting in work and killing the Underground scene as of now is Invincible. She's ridiculous. Every other ill female artist I've know of either dropped off the face of the earth (*Cough, hack* Bahamdia), is hella overrated IMO (Jean Grae) or generally overlooked (Apani B-Fly).

[quote name='nativetongue88']Q-tip's - the renaissance is the best hip hop disc of the year hands down.[/quote]

I still think the Roots - 'Rising Down', Nas - 'Untitled', and Wale - 'The Mixtape about Nothing' are the best albums of 2008.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Glad to see you mention Invincible, her shit is fuckin' great.[/quote]

Indeed. The Detroit scene right now is representing Hip Hop to the fullest. Now if I could only find her old mixtapes. ;'(

I also managed to find the usually rare and/or sold out Electric Company Life's A Struggle LP. Today is f*cking ILL. Now if only Typical Cats would release their third album. Most of their solo work doesn't grab me as much. >_>

If your looking for other female rappers, don't forget about Tor or Lady Paradox

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I also managed to find the usually rare and/or sold out Electric Company Life's A Struggle LP. Today is f*cking ILL. Now if only Typical Cats would release their third album. Most of their solo work doesn't grab me as much. >_>[/QUOTE]

that Electric Company album is really good. Have you checked out Dagha's debut that came out this year called The Divorce? Its really fucking good.

I don't expect another Typical Cats album for quite awhile. They all went their separate ways (with Denzin Kane falling off the map) but I should know more on January 10th as they are coming together for a concert in Chicago

Apani-B-Fly and Jane Doe are the only two I ever really warmed up to. I wonder who Jane Doe really is...o_O

Man, it's about time I started getting back into the hip hop loop.

Btw, have you guys mentioned Classified yet? I think I remember you guys bringing him up, but eh, I forget. Started listening to one of his albums, Hitch Hikin' Music, I'm diggin' it for the most part, and what album is this song on (Hey Now Remix, not the second track):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PDIPQSO

[quote name='fart_bubble']If your looking for other female rappers, don't forget about Tor or Lady Paradox

that Electric Company album is really good. Have you checked out Dagha's debut that came out this year called The Divorce? Its really fucking good.[/quote]

Appreciate it. I hadn't heard of Project Move or Electric Company (though it seems EC evolved into PM minus a few members) until I peeped Raheem's Boombox album last year which is ridiculously ill by the way people. EC has one of the most genuine down to earth group vibes I've ever felt on a debut album no less which spoke volumes of their overall talent. Almost... Tribe-esque but not as deafening or profound. Just easily accessible and thoroughly enjoyable. A very refreshing album.

Good lookin' on the femcee front as well. I'll definitely check them out.

I don't expect another Typical Cats album for quite awhile. They all went their separate ways (with Denzin Kane falling off the map) but I should know more on January 10th as they are coming together for a concert in Chicago

Uggggggghhhhhhh. I'd openly appreciate ANY info on a new album. Qwel became a little too abstract for my tastes, Qwa remains one of the most underrated emcees I've heard in a long time... but I'm not feeling the new group he's in and Denizen unfortunately solidified Saul Williams as the only spoken word artist I can get with on an album.

Everyone else bores me to tears.

[quote name='JEKKI']here's the link to Yup Yup Yup: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9jb3kd

it's a package of 9 songs with Yup3 included, the link came from the description of Vega Cut.

anyway, new emusic pickups!

finished Dr Dooom 2
new Reef the Lost Cauze (!!!)
new Foreign Exchange
Blue Sky Black Death - Heap of Broken Images
and used my remaining tracks to start Illa J

I still needa hear new Sadat X this year, but apparently the emusic copy is a clean advance.

I'm also interested in new Diamond D, but I heard it sucks...

I also finally copped Incise's album! off blogspot tho lol, dont feel like spending $30+ from cduniverse.

I also heard mention of a new Evidence mixtape! gotta hit up google soon for that...[/QUOTE]

I was about to pop on here and ask about Emusic I have a ton of downloads on there left.

I will try to browse this thread and get some hits on Emusic.

[quote name='fart_bubble']a friend of mine that I trade mixtapes with[/quote]
Cool, I just read your old blog about your music collection so I shouldn't be too surprised, I wish I had all that music, I have way too much time on my hands right now and all that rare talk makes me wonder what else you have :p

Found out about the right title of the Classified song I love, here it is "Classified - It ain't over":

Link JIC you haven't checked it out yet - http://dergatron9000.blogspot.com/2007/11/classified-while-you-were-sleeping-2007.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y00gZmRWVbM

I liked the original he sampled from as well ;), except for the little organ part, never really liked those :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZZfuCJ970w

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='senorwoohoo']Can anyone here offer an opinion on Exile's Dirty Science?[/QUOTE]

Its okay, the songs on it are hit or miss but it has some of Exile's best beats. IMO, pick up the instrumentals, skip the actual album

damn, listened to hella stuff this past week... mostly my emusic shyt...

new Reef album, sophomore slump IMO (I kno this isnt his 2nd album btw lol... ). I mean, in comparison to Feast or Famine the record fails to keep you interested thru-out it. But... I really like the single a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVmGNte9fw8

Dr Dooom... I actually liked it a lot! I liked his Dooom album back in the days and this record still maintained what was good about that record yet still managed to add sum freshness into it. Some songs are definitely weird, but that's kinda expected.

Foreign Exchange - good, but I wish there was more rap in it. Whenever there was I felt it made the songs so much better.

Incise - seriously, thanks a lot for this! I hella bump it at work now, rite along with Large Pro as my heaviest rotation hip-hop records... in addition to:

ElectroRock v4, FFFF... if u havent copped this... you need it. So addicting o_O

and today I did more backlog digging... listened to the Prince Po & TomC3-whatever album... and it was also real good! I dont remember getting that much enjoyment out of Project Polaroid which was the album Tom? produced for Kool Keith.

anyway, I gotta get new Pumpkinhead soon also!!

[quote name='JEKKI']
Foreign Exchange - good, but I wish there was more rap in it. Whenever there was I felt it made the songs so much better.
[/QUOTE]

But that isn't the point of Foreign Exchange. It was always meant as a R&B project.

Glad you like Incise

lol really??? I remember the first one having a lot more rapping in it....

but it may be becoz my friend only played the rap songs, so when I listened to it on my own the songs I remember most are the ones with emcees.

man I'm going crazy :bomb:

[quote name='JEKKI']lol really??? I remember the first one having a lot more rapping in it....

but it may be becoz my friend only played the rap songs, so when I listened to it on my own the songs I remember most are the ones with emcees.

man I'm going crazy :bomb:[/QUOTE]

There was more rapping in the first one but that was never meant to be the focus of the Foreign Exchange project. Hence why there isn't much in the new album

[quote name='JEKKI']ElectroRock v4, FFFF... if u havent copped this... you need it. So addicting o_O[/quote]

Windows Media Slayer is siiiiiiicccccccccckkkkkkkk.

ooooh~! :downloads:

I have never sat down and listened to Ugly Ducling o_O

it was one of the few hip-hop groups my high school friends liked, so I jus listened to them whenever I was hanging out

I really need to do my UD homework now... SOON!

saw them in concert one time tho, right in the front too... it was awesome!!

Ugly Duckling rocks, I think they're better than Time Machine. Bang For The Buck was lackluster but everything else is worth listening to. Their new one, I think its their best work since Taste The Freshness. Great little album.

Glad you dig that k u r o i s o u l EP. Those beats are are really fucking smooth

I've also been listening to the new one from Urbs & Cutex. Their debut album is a bonafied classic....but this one, holy shit is it on a whole nother level. The sampling on this is fucking impeccable. I need a few more listens but I'm leaning towards putting this just below Metaform's album and just above Blue Sky Black Death's Late Night Cinema

some of the song on it

The Thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ssiWgTA1qk

Up & Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1CbpdBHG-M

Urbs' myspace page (you can listen to Is which is on their new one)
http://www.myspace.com/urbalized

bread's done
Back