Max Payne 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='CMoney™']MP is addicting, played for hours last night. At times, the game freezes or gets disconnected, but overall I love it.

Quick question, I want my character to wear a mask. I select the mask, but I went go back to the previous menu, it quickly goes away. Would I have to reach a certain level to use one in MP or am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

I think you have to select it as one of your perks in the load out menu. Not in the burst menu, but it's one of the add on slots. Can't think of the exact name.

When you mess with it in the avatar menu, it's just customizing the look of it for when you select to use that item in the load out menu. It's pretty confusing. Not sure why they didn't just make it straight forward.

Other confusing things about MP3 multiplayer - you have top press Y to do a melee attack, while in the campaign it's automatic. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Similarly I didn't see it explained anywhere how to throw a grenade (quick tap of the left bumper). Maybe that's in there, though, not sure.

Finished 2nd in a game with just a boatload of XP. I still suck at shooting people. Been adjusting my horizontal and vertical aiming speed because it's either way too damn fast or extremely slow.

krashhole, I sent you a PM.

Ok so finally played some free aim and did about as well as i do with soft lock, so not that good really but still had fun.

What I DID notice though was there is a big difference in how the game plays depending on the aiming mode. With soft lock you get more distance between players. For instance on the Hoboken map people just get in the buildings and shoot across at each other becuase its easy to get a quick aim on someone all the way across the map. Free aim is more close nit fighting. Dont get killed by nearly as many people from distance.

Still not sure which mode I like the best.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ah, didn't realize that. Maybe I'll try it, but I don't expect to do well at it. It does make sense that they'd be separated.

What are rockstar games social club multiplayer events about? There's one tomorrow 1 to 4 PM eastern. i can't participate, but I'm still wondering what it is.[/QUOTE]It's usually stuff like game with the developers, somehow you can win sweepstakes or prizes and they do live streams or something or other. Often it's paired with an xp bonus of some kind in RDR, sometimes just for the event or day and sometimes the xp lasts the weekend. It's usually 2xp and occasionally 3xp. Seems a little early for bonus xp though.

So, last Chapter of the game and it has been an amazing ride. I say best Story of 2012 so far. So good I don't mind playing it over and over.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']So, last Chapter of the game and it has been an amazing ride. I say best Story of 2012 so far. So good I don't mind playing it over and over.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. The last chapter has a great usage of the theme song right after a cut-scene and heading into a firefight.

I'm really hoping they throw some Single Player DLC out.

[quote name='HydroX']Sorry for ignoring your game invite CMoney. I was on a roll this evening and totally forgot to respond to you.[/QUOTE]All good, no worries. :)

[quote name='mvp828']Couldn't agree more. The last chapter has a great usage of the theme song right after a cut-scene and heading into a firefight.

I'm really hoping they throw some Single Player DLC out.[/QUOTE]

All MP in the next few months as its tied into the Rockstar (season) Pass.

Just started Max Payne 3, and the first thing that caught my eye, is how damn beautiful the game is. The character models/faces are some of the best I ever witnessed in a game before. The enviornments are incredibly detailed, lighting is fantastic. This is no doubt Rockstars best looking game, and from the sounds of it possibly best story of theirs.

The huge surprise for me though is how fun/addicting the multiplayer is, especially gang wars mode. My character is only lvl 4 though, seems like money might be a challenge to get to purchase new items.

[quote name='Poor2More']Just started Max Payne 3, and the first thing that caught my eye, is how damn beautiful the game is. The character models/faces are some of the best I ever witnessed in a game before. The enviornments are incredibly detailed, lighting is fantastic. This is no doubt Rockstars best looking game, and from the sounds of it possibly best story of theirs.

The huge surprise for me though is how fun/addicting the multiplayer is, especially gang wars mode. My character is only lvl 4 though, seems like money might be a challenge to get to purchase new items.[/QUOTE]

Money can be hard to come by, but if you start rolling folks in MP money will come in bunches. Killing sprees and looting bodies does wonders.

[quote name='HydroX']Money can be hard to come by, but if you start rolling folks in MP money will come in bunches. Killing sprees and looting bodies does wonders.[/QUOTE]

I got the Lucky Coin from the Warfare pack, says gives you extra cash from looting enemies, how much extra does it give? and is it worth having in your loadout?

What load outs are you guys using for Multiplayer? So far, I've been most successful with the MP40. I still get smoked by guys with dual revolvers. Seems like they run around the corner and insta-kill me. At least with the MP40 I can put a hurting on them before they get to me.

I've seen a lot of people with Paranoia, myself included. However, once you recoginze the character's clothes, you can tell if they're on your team or not. I took it off because of this.

Well, I'm through nine chapters now... Enjoying it but I can see were the less than glowing reviews comes from... Some stuff is starting to bug me... Others stuff never get boring.

Anyhow, I'm playing on normal, its taken me about an hour a chapter, so I don't even know where that 8 hour campaign comes from... Maybe on easy without worrying about collectables I guess.

Just finished up the campaign. I have never played Max Payne, but this one was kick ass! This has been one of the best games I have played in a while. I really do hope there are plans for SP add-ons.

Just got carried away when Rockstar didn't decide to populate my lobby. Sloppiness ensued.

[youtube]a7jWzw4OjXE[/youtube]

[quote name='krashhole']haha. Send me a friend request if you want. I'll be more than happy to throw myself around lol[/QUOTE]

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey that's what she said.

The story and characters really don't do anything for me, but the game is fun, which is what counts to me. SP and MP are good. I will probably end up buying the DLC subscription thing, whatever it's called. I need to find a good deal on points, though....

[quote name='krashhole']Just finished up the campaign. I have never played Max Payne, but this one was kick ass! This has been one of the best games I have played in a while. I really do hope there are plans for SP add-ons.[/QUOTE]
The first two are two of my favorite games ever. I know steam sells them for 10 each, but they've gone on sale for 2.50 each before. Highly recommended.

Alright CAGs. Somebody has to have started a CAG crew or something. Holla back! I need an active crew to roll with. I'm getting SLAUGHTERED on MP!

If you're getting slaughtered on MP... are you trying to play the regular Deathmatch/Team Deatchmatch, or the beginner one? Because when you're starting out you should play beginner, otherwise you'll be playing with people much higher level than you.

[quote name='Superstar']There is a CAG crew thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321438

I hope this game fly ships this out. When I put it in my Q last night it said available..but now it says low availability :([/QUOTE]

That's because it was Sunday. They still scan in the titles they've recieved, but since the mail isn't going out, it shows a high availability for all titles scanned in. Unfortunately, come monday morning everything gets shipped out again and the availability drops like a ton of bricks.

If you're getting slaughtered on MP... are you trying to play the regular Deathmatch/Team Deatchmatch, or the beginner one? Because when you're starting out you should play beginner, otherwise you'll be playing with people much higher level than you.

I got kicked out of that once I hit level 7. I did fine in Rookie, with a 22-7 kills to deaths for most games. Once I hit the main death match, I was getting destroyed by level 30s with dual pistols practically one shotting me.

That's not to say it's just the guns that own me. I seem to be a little loose with my hip fire, and ADS slows you down so much a spray and praying circle strafer can still smoke you. I have to adjust and learn to aim better.

I'm fucking awful at both the single and multiplayer. I don't know what it is. It's legitimately pissing me off though beyond frustration. I had to go from Hard to Normal in singleplayer and I'm still dying probably 30 times per chapter. It's annoying as fuck and multiplayer isn't any better. It's to the point where the game is ruined for me. I'm not normally this bad at games as I usually play and beat most games on the hardest difficulty, so this is an issue with this game only.

Just finished part 1 of the story & I'm loving it. The story so far has been non-stop action. I honestly don't think the old cutscene style would of worked for this story. Everything is fast, while the first 2 were more slow. I really liked that they
explained how he left NJ in the first place.
This game has exceeded my expectations.

Tsel, I don't think there is nothing wrong as far as the difficulty is concern. I'm playing on Normal & I knew what to expect going in. I've died quite a bit, but it hasn't stop me from enjoying the game. The MP has some bugs, but overall I've enjoyed it.

[quote name='Tsel']I'm fucking awful at both the single and multiplayer. I don't know what it is. It's legitimately pissing me off though beyond frustration. I had to go from Hard to Normal in singleplayer and I'm still dying probably 30 times per chapter. It's annoying as fuck and multiplayer isn't any better. It's to the point where the game is ruined for me. I'm not normally this bad at games as I usually play and beat most games on the hardest difficulty, so this is an issue with this game only.[/QUOTE]

I had a hard time in MP when I started out but you will eventually get the feel for it. If I can do it, anyone can, trust me.

As for SP, this game can be frustratingly bad. I am in the same boat as you, and it really solidifies why I don't play single player games anymore.

Being that I haven't started the SP in this one yet, I may be off base, but if it's anything like the first one then what I say may apply. How are you guys at using bullet time? How are you at shootdodging? Do you maximize the bullet time you use and do you land shootdodges in places you won't be hit getting up? The first two couldn't be played like standard 3PSs so some adjusting may be needed. Also, headshots used to be a great way to get a boost on bullet time. In 1 & 2 bullet time may have been more crucial than pills.

[quote name='Tsel']I had to go from Hard to Normal in singleplayer and I'm still dying probably 30 times per chapter.[/QUOTE]

I would say this games normal is most games hard... (At least with Free Aim) so really just hang in there and keep at it.

I think I read it on another forum but if its buried somewhere in this thread I apologize for repeating it... but the game will always let you go into “shoot dodge” mode so spam the hell out of it, if you do have bullet time left and you want to keep it you can click and revert back to normal speed...

Also, if you 'shoot dodge' and land in a perfect spot with good cover... Just stay on the ground and pick them off when they come to investigate.

Anyhow, two chapters to go... Then I should be venturing into MP. (Though if i get an invite I would likely join before finishing.)

[quote name='Tsel']I'm fucking awful at both the single and multiplayer. I don't know what it is. It's legitimately pissing me off though beyond frustration. I had to go from Hard to Normal in singleplayer and I'm still dying probably 30 times per chapter. It's annoying as fuck and multiplayer isn't any better. It's to the point where the game is ruined for me. I'm not normally this bad at games as I usually play and beat most games on the hardest difficulty, so this is an issue with this game only.[/QUOTE]

Abuse bullet time.

Even when you're just coming up from behind cover to shoot, trigger bullet time. Always go for headshots, which are much easier with bullet time. Never bullet dodge from cover, bullet dodge into cover. Stay behind cover, and let the AI come to you. They have specific spawn triggers on the map, you'll recognize them after a few deaths. If you trigger them and run back to cover, you can kill the enemy as they move towards your position.

Also, adjust the targeting reticules in the options menu to "weapon specific" so you don't always have the white dot. You can use the D-Pad to switch the reticule from right shoulder to left when Max's head is blocking it.

I can't help with MP yet, I still suck at that myself.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Abuse bullet time.[/QUOTE]Like a redheaded stepchild... :lol:

Just finished the campaign up (normal, free aim) and popping up and pulling off headshots and dropping back down (and out of bullet time at the same time) made it so much easier... Honestly, once that clicks the game gets so much easier...

Also I think that some of the later levels might be a bit easier (overall, they all have some bad choke points) as their some extreme range going on and the AI doesn't seem to have such crazy accuracy at that range.

The game is hard on Normal, but there is an easier difficulty level, so rather than giving up on the game maybe try the easier difficulty?

Finished the story mode on normal and in free aim.Panama can go f' itself. I'm really digging the multiplayer.What lobbies do you guys play in?Soft lock or free aim. I use free aim.

[quote name='mrx001']Finished the story mode on normal and in free aim.Panama can go f' itself. I'm really digging the multiplayer.What lobbies do you guys play in?Soft lock or free aim. I use free aim.[/QUOTE]

Seems like most of us are using free aim.

[quote name='mrx001']What lobbies do you guys play in?Soft lock or free aim. I use free aim.[/QUOTE]I play using Soft Aim, but definitely want to move up to Free Aim.

Why in the online deathmatch battles, your character always changes, even though u can customize your ow, how do I just set it to always be the same guy?

[quote name='pacemakerguy']Why in the online deathmatch battles, your character always changes, even though u can customize your ow, how do I just set it to always be the same guy?[/QUOTE]

In the Team Deathmatches, you are assigned a specific faction for each individual map. Each one of these factions has its own seperate customizable avatar.

I think that's what you were asking, but if I misunderstood, I apologize.

[quote name='Broken Cage']In the Team Deathmatches, you are assigned a specific faction for each individual map. Each one of these factions has its own seperate customizable avatar.

I think that's what you were asking, but if I misunderstood, I apologize.[/QUOTE]

that's fine it's just I made a character and I got to be him for one game but then it changed again, it just gets annoying

First let me say sorry to JDawgg76 for the party invite... I really thought everyone showing on that list would be playing MP not single player. Really hope it didn't pop at a bad time.

Anyhow, jumped in and played three games.

Did okay in the first one, was slightly be low even K/D, got whacked in the second but learned a very valuable lesson... Assault rifles suck, just drop it at the very beginning of your spawns to lessen your load. With that lesson I was the “best” player in my third game.

My complaints are minor...

Assault Rifle from above... Its underpowered. There is a reason countries go to war with them as their primary weapon...

Aiming in is way too slow, I thought the same in single player, but MP just really shows this off... Its also no more accurate than hip firing it seems.

Dual Wielding, is vastly overpowered. Its too accurate, it can deal far too much damage, etc.

Grenades; not really sure what to think of them... I'm sure their in their to keep teams from camping rooms but they really seem like they are implemented rather clumsy. They seem selectable, as in they replace the weapon you are holding, by hitting RB while looking in the weapon select menu via LB... but I had a hell of a time throwing one this way... I had much better luck tapping LB twice real quickly. Aiming and accuracy with grenades is lacking also... They also seem to travel with the speed of a Tim Wakefield fastball)

So, I guess if anyone has any grenade tips I wouldn't object to hearing them.

All in all pretty good time sink but not polished enough to be something anyone should take too seriously.

Also the cost of the season pass is way to high for a game like this...

[quote name='CMoney™']Just finished part 1 of the story & I'm loving it. The story so far has been non-stop action. I honestly don't think the old cutscene style would of worked for this story. Everything is fast, while the first 2 were more slow. I really liked that they
explained how he left NJ in the first place.
This game has exceeded my expectations.

Tsel, I don't think there is nothing wrong as far as the difficulty is concern. I'm playing on Normal & I knew what to expect going in. I've died quite a bit, but it hasn't stop me from enjoying the game. The MP has some bugs, but overall I've enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]I really like the cutscenes using in game graphics in this game. The storyboard stuff was good, too, but 3 is more cinematic and allows seamless transitions from cutscene to awesome gaming moment. I'm not big on the camera effects going all Kane & Lynch style, but I get the point of it. Graphics are great in this, I can't believe I've heard people state otherwise. Just finished the third chapter of part 1 and I was so engrossed the entire time.

[quote name='Tsel']I'm fucking awful at both the single and multiplayer. I don't know what it is. It's legitimately pissing me off though beyond frustration. I had to go from Hard to Normal in singleplayer and I'm still dying probably 30 times per chapter. It's annoying as fuck and multiplayer isn't any better. It's to the point where the game is ruined for me. I'm not normally this bad at games as I usually play and beat most games on the hardest difficulty, so this is an issue with this game only.[/QUOTE]Inmate and Cage gave good tips especially using cover and using bullet time as much as possible. It's alot like the first two with bullet time being a showpiece and the difficulty makes you need to use the showpiece as much as possible. Also, what aim are you on? If you are on free aim try soft aim or hard aim to help out while you get the mechanics down. Cover was added in this game and it's a welcome addition for sure. As a MP vet, I started off on Hard and free aim and I do expect to die alot in certain gunfights, but the payoff is good when you succeed. I do miss the mouse precision for headshots though!

Inmate, sorry I turned down your invite, but I was just way too engrossed in the story to switch over. I may have to fly through the story first and then return to mp because so far the single player is everything I've been waiting for.

Also, did Cheapy mention the crew in a CAGcast or something. He requested an invite yesterday around 8 and I got ten or so more that night and another 15 or so today. Big jump in crew numbers outta nowhere and nobody was posting in the Crew thread as a heads up for me to check the social site which makes me think they heard elsewhere about it. Awesome either way as we're rounding up a kick ass crew.

[quote name='pacemakerguy']that's fine it's just I made a character and I got to be him for one game but then it changed again, it just gets annoying[/QUOTE]Yeah, I've now set up all of my faction characters, but I do have to say that I vote for the Jersey alley map alot because I love to use the Punchenellos (however it's spelled) and I always seem to do well on that map.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']First let me say sorry to JDawgg76 for the party invite... I really thought everyone showing on that list would be playing MP not single player. Really hope it didn't pop at a bad time.

Anyhow, jumped in and played three games.

Did okay in the first one, was slightly be low even K/D, got whacked in the second but learned a very valuable lesson... Assault rifles suck, just drop it at the very beginning of your spawns to lessen your load. With that lesson I was the “best” player in my third game.

My complaints are minor...

Assault Rifle from above... Its underpowered. There is a reason countries go to war with them as their primary weapon...

Aiming in is way too slow, I thought the same in single player, but MP just really shows this off... Its also no more accurate than hip firing it seems.

Dual Wielding, is vastly overpowered. Its too accurate, it can deal far too much damage, etc.

Grenades; not really sure what to think of them... I'm sure their in their to keep teams from camping rooms but they really seem like they are implemented rather clumsy. They seem selectable, as in they replace the weapon you are holding, by hitting RB while looking in the weapon select menu via LB... but I had a hell of a time throwing one this way... I had much better luck tapping LB twice real quickly. Aiming and accuracy with grenades is lacking also... They also seem to travel with the speed of a Tim Wakefield fastball)

So, I guess if anyone has any grenade tips I wouldn't object to hearing them.

All in all pretty good time sink but not polished enough to be something anyone should take too seriously.

Also the cost of the season pass is way to high for a game like this...[/QUOTE]No prob on the invite, the list is getting better, it used to show people who were offline for a little while, not everyone who was a crewmember and offline, just a few.

I agree on the assalt rifle power being a little low, but I still do well with my assault rifle class. I tried out a class that just starts with a pistol and a uzi and dual weilding that seemed to work well. I think true dual wielding requires level 6 in that weapon.

To me, grenades are the big issue, it's clunky to switch to and slow and innacurate with the quick toss. It does help to switch to it and cook it which negates the slow toss somewhat. I usually use flashbangs instead now which can really help clear a room and be more useful than a clumsy grenade.

MP does still need a little polish and the season pass does seem too high, but you may like mp more once you open up more playlists like Paynekiller and Gang Wars. They add some good variety and mix up the standard deathmatch stuff nicely.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Inmate, sorry I turned down your invite, but I was just way too engrossed in the story to switch over. I may have to fly through the story first and then return to mp because so far the single player is everything I've been waiting for.[/QUOTE]No need to apologize. As I said in my post I wouldn't have sent a invite if I had realize you where in MP.

[quote name='jdawgg76']I agree on the assalt rifle power being a little low, but I still do well with my assault rifle class. I tried out a class that just starts with a pistol and a uzi and dual weilding that seemed to work well. [/quote]

Yeah, I've ran into a map or two were it seems the range of the pistols is maxed out... but its pretty rare even on that/those map(s) so I'm really undecided if I want to carry a rifle or not. (I do enjoy the lightweight load out.)

[quote name='jdawgg76']I think true dual wielding requires level 6 in that weapon.[/quote]

True dual wielding? What's that...?

[quote name='jdawgg76']I usually use flashbangs instead now which can really help clear a room and be more useful than a clumsy grenade.[/quote]

I've swapped to flashbangs but haven't had much luck with them so far... I've likely blinded myself (and likely teammates) as much as I've successfully used them on the enemy but it really is one of those items that's hard to quantify how useful it is.

Truth be told, I'm tempted to drop both and go with a rock, so I can lighten my load in favor of other items.

[quote name='jdawgg76']MP does still need a little polish and the season pass does seem too high, but you may like mp more once you open up more playlists like Paynekiller and Gang Wars. They add some good variety and mix up the standard deathmatch stuff nicely.[/QUOTE]
I've gotten a few more modes unlocked but I've still been playing rookie team death match.

Made it to Chapter 2. Really enjoying it. Can't wait to start MP.

I really like how you actually slam into objects if you dive into them. Found that out the hard way when diving around in the stadium.

bread's done
Back