MODS PLEASE LOCK - The Wii VC Games - Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='lordwow']I agree on all counts io. This is splitting time with Zelda: TP for me. It's definately a lot easier to pick up for a 10-20 minute block of free time rather than the marathon Zelda sessions I have. Probably the best game I've ever bought for $10.[/QUOTE]

Well, if I were playing Zelda that would probably be my most played game by far - but I'm waiting till mid-Dec for the component cables.

I will say that Mario 64 looks great on my 51" TV, even with composite cables. I've got no complaints about it's appearance - just the crappy-assed camera and flaky controls (again, in comparison to SMS, which is WAY better ;)).

But again, though I complain, it was well worth the purchase. Now I can't wait for the old Star Fox games to show up - to see if everyone on CAG has over-hyped those relative to Star Fox Assualt which I quite enjoyed. Same with the old Metroid games.

So I downloaded Zelda and Solomon's Key the last 24 hours. Zelda, which is always wonderful, has aged very well and is still fun as hell even by todays standards.

Solomon's Key. Ungh. I had never played it before, and the premise behind it intrigued me, so I downloaded it. I must be missing some of that nostalgic tilt, because I think it's a terrible game. it doesn't control very well, and after getting through a few stages, it just seems like more irritation that it's worth.

The summary of my post, is i am really warming up to the idea of emulate first, download later.

Ya Mario sunshine & Mario 64 were good. Now though I'd sooner play sunshine...I usually have a good time with a game and move on, I dont relish a game for 50 years calling it the best ever, cause although it may have been then, now if you played both games from scratch as they are and had never played them before, I know I'd enjoy Sunshine more.

[quote name='Spades22']although it may have been then, now if you played both games from scratch as they are and had never played them before, I know I'd enjoy Sunshine more.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm saying. If both were released today I'd give Mario 64 a 7 (being generous) and SMS a 9.5. For the time, Mario 64 might have been great, ground-breaking, all that. Plus for alot of CAG's it is part of some cherished childhood (for me that was discovering one of the very first Pong cabinets at a ski resort in the Sierra Nevada, followed up by that amazing and immersive game called Space Invaders). But if you look at them objectively, no way Mario 64 holds up quite as well in 2006 (and yes, I mean from a gameplay/control standpoint in addition to graphics).

Is it worth(buying the controller) playing the VC games with the classic controller?

I bought one even though I don't have a wii yet, and I also wanted to know if you guys(or girls), prefer using the gamecube controller or classic?

When I was playing F-Zero with the Gamecube controller, I didn't like using the stick or the d-pad. I really liked the d-pad for the Classic controller for that game specifically.

My wife has just taken to playing Bomberman and says she likes the fact that it's a bit bigger than the Remote, but doesn't really have a preference either way.

I've been playing Mario64 on my Wavebird. It controlls well. My only complaint is the location of the Z button, but it's the same on my (unopened) CC.

[quote name='js1']Is it worth(buying the controller) playing the VC games with the classic controller?

I bought one even though I don't have a wii yet, and I also wanted to know if you guys(or girls), prefer using the gamecube controller or classic?[/quote]

It depends, I am going to buy a CC because I cringe when thinking about playing a SNES/Genesis game on a GCN controller. N64 I am undecided and NES games I don't care.

can you save in bomberman 93?

besides the new Wii save function. i d like to download this game for the mutli player aspect but if theres no ingame save then it might turn me off

[quote name='UndyingForce']can you save in bomberman 93?

besides the new Wii save function. i d like to download this game for the mutli player aspect but if theres no ingame save then it might turn me off[/quote]

If you mean a save function for single player, then yes. I was actually suprised it had a save feature, comes in quite handy.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']If you mean a save function for single player, then yes. I was actually suprised it had a save feature, comes in quite handy.[/QUOTE]

thanks...im downloading bomberman this weekend!

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']If you mean a save function for single player, then yes. I was actually suprised it had a save feature, comes in quite handy.[/QUOTE]

My wife would have given up on the game if it didn't have that Save feature. It functions like Unlimited continues for her and allows her to enjoy the game a great deal more.

[quote name='psunami']My wife would have given up on the game if it didn't have that Save feature. It functions like Unlimited continues for her and allows her to enjoy the game a great deal more.[/QUOTE]

i also hear the emulation isnt top notch for turbo grafix games
is it that bad?
what do you experience in game?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/748/748749p1.html

December 1, 2006 - Nintendo's Virtual Console features nearly three decades of classic NES, S-NES, N64, Genesis, and Turbografx-16 games. IGN.com has over the years posted reviews for many of these titles. Those verdicts still stand, as they are critiques of the products during the years that they were originally released. Our Virtual Console reviews are, in contrast, designed to provide readers with assessments of the re-released games in today's marketplace, answering whether the classic play styles are still fun and, ultimately, if the offerings are worth your hard-earned Wii Points.

By the time 1993 rolled around, Bomberman had been blasting for years. His first appearance was on the NES, where the basics that would define his series were established. But Bomberman truly matured when Hudson, the company that created him, debuted its own video game hardware - the TurboGrafx-16.

An early release for the system, simply called "Bomberman," reimagined the character with the short, out-of-proportion design with the white bucket helmet that we recognize today. It was a radical departure from the first attempts to display the character in artwork - he'd previously always been depicted as a kind of blue-suited Samus Aran (even though the in-game graphics of the NES title looked much closer to the "new" art style). Cuteness worked where realism didn't, and from 1990 on the B-Man has (with one unfortunate exception) been kept in stylized anime form.

This Virtual Console release isn't the first Bomberman game from the NES. It's also not the first Bomberman game from the TurboGrafx. This release, Bomberman '93, was the follow-up to those titles. It came to the TG16 in, of course, 1993, and brought with it the classic multiplayer blasting design that you've probably had the opportunity to play several times before.

You and up to four friends are thrown into a square-shaped arena filled with obstacles. You have the power to lay bombs at your feet, that, after a few seconds, explode into horizontal and vertical lines of flame. The object of the game is to be the last Bomberman standing, clearing enough of the obstacles out of the way with your own bombs to get into range of your friends, then trapping them in a corner, laying another explosive, and kissing them goodbye.

The simple battle-royale formula was so successful in its first few outings that even modern Bomberman releases do little to change it, and are scorned if they try. It's one of the best and most classic multiplayer contests gaming has to offer - it's nice to see it debuting here with the Wii.

The game supports up to five players, though the process to get the fifth human on board is confusing. The Wii can only handle four Wiimotes and/or Classic Controllers at a time, which means you need at least one GameCube Controller plugged in. As you select Bomberman's channel from your Wii dashboard, you need to hold down the R Button on each Cube Controller you want to use - doing so will boot the game into a controller assignment screen before the opening cinematic plays.

You can use any combination of Wiimotes and Cube Controllers, so even if you only have the one Remote that shipped with your system you can probably gather up four last-gen corded pads (or better yet, Wavebirds) to outfit a full force of five.

Besides the classic multiplayer mode, Bomberman '93 hosts a lengthy single-player adventure. Over 50 levels take you through a variety of worlds, where the gameplay focus is on eliminating all of the enemies in a room and then finding the hidden exit portal before time runs out. A boss battle comes at the end of every planet, as Bomberman blasts around his solar system on the trail of his dark and evil twin.
Closing Comments

Hudson chose wisely in selecting Bomberman '93 as one of its first Virtual Console titles. It supports the multiplayer, party-gaming focus that the Wii is designed to inspire, and even goes one better by letting a fifth player get in on the fun. The single player mode is still fun and challenging, a great representation of Bomberman's early days. All that for just one dollar more than an NES download – it's a great value.

8.0 Presentation
Bomberman's vibrant style shines through in every menu and cutscene, giving the whole game a cohesive and colorful feel. 7.0 Graphics
It seems that TurboGrafx games running on the VC aren't as crisp as the other emulated systems, but Bomberman still looks good. 7.5 Sound
Energetic and playfully happy, the soundtrack supports each bomb blast with beats that match the cute-but-deadly tone. 8.5 Gameplay
Many Bomberman fans have never seen support for more than four players. Here, the action is classic and even more frantic with five in the mix. 8.0 Lasting Appeal
This is one VC game that will likely claim a regular spot in your Wii party-gaming rotation for a long time to come. 8.5
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Is anyone else having problems connecting to the Wii shop channel? I haven't been able to connect for the past day or so even though I'm able to connect and get system updates.

I have VC points I want to spend.:cry:

I'm sorry if it's already been talked about, but sifting through 11 pages doesn't sound too fun right now. But I'm wondering, are we going to see Banjo Kazooie? Or is it a no go because it's a Rare game and not Nintendo?

[quote name='Ahadi']I'm sorry if it's already been talked about, but sifting through 11 pages doesn't sound too fun right now. But I'm wondering, are we going to see Banjo Kazooie? Or is it a no go because it's a Rare game and not Nintendo?[/quote]

Probably not seeing as how the sequel is coming out for the 360.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Probably not seeing as how the sequel is coming out for the 360.[/QUOTE]
Well that sucks. That's the one N64 game I regret not getting a chance to play.

[quote name='Ahadi']I'm sorry if it's already been talked about, but sifting through 11 pages doesn't sound too fun right now. But I'm wondering, are we going to see Banjo Kazooie? Or is it a no go because it's a Rare game and not Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

NM.

[quote name='Ahadi']I'm sorry if it's already been talked about, but sifting through 11 pages doesn't sound too fun right now. But I'm wondering, are we going to see Banjo Kazooie? Or is it a no go because it's a Rare game and not Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't too optimistic about this until I heard Reggie state that they would like to get Goldeneye on the system. Microsoft and Nintendo are playing nice as far as the GBA is concerned, maybe they would play nice in this regard as well.

[quote name='psunami']I wasn't too optimistic about this until I heard Reggie state that they would like to get Goldeneye on the system. Microsoft and Nintendo are playing nice as far as the GBA is concerned, maybe they would play nice in this regard as well.[/quote]Quite right. There's nothing that says the game won't exist, it just depends on how much Nintendo thinks they'll make on it, in conjunction with how much they're willing to pay a competitor for it.

[quote name='psunami']I wasn't too optimistic about this until I heard Reggie state that they would like to get Goldeneye on the system. Microsoft and Nintendo are playing nice as far as the GBA is concerned, maybe they would play nice in this regard as well.[/QUOTE]

I definetly agree that GoldenEye would rule, for no other reason than there hasnt been a game since GoldenEye to capture how fun trip mines and bathrooms can be for a level.

[quote name='gizmogc']NM[/quote]
And I'm not sure what NM means...

[quote name='botticus']Quite right. There's nothing that says the game won't exist, it just depends on how much Nintendo thinks they'll make on it, in conjunction with how much they're willing to pay a competitor for it.[/QUOTE]

Well, IF they can get EA, MS, and Rare to agree to allow the game on the VC, they would probably have to charge like $15 to make any money off it. If they added online play and Wii control, though, I'd pay that much.

I updated a bunch of the master list stuff including release dates for tomorrow and the new Gamespot reviews.

It looks like Nintendo was spot on, by my count there are 13 games to release in 4 weeks, so looks like no surprises this year.

[quote name='evanft']Well, IF they can get EA, MS, and Rare to agree to allow the game on the VC, they would probably have to charge like $15 to make any money off it. If they added online play and Wii control, though, I'd pay that much.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why EA would have to get money on it. They're not the current Bond license holders.

All of this comes down to the question of who gets paid when a classic game is sold? Does Tecmo hold an NFLPA license for an NFLPA approved game that they sold in 1991? Or do they have to continue to have that license in order to sell it again.

I hate the legalities of it all. I just want to play my games again.

[quote name='evanft']Well, IF they can get EA, MS, and Rare to agree to allow the game on the VC, they would probably have to charge like $15 to make any money off it. If they added online play and Wii control, though, I'd pay that much.[/QUOTE]

Oh hell no. The prices of the VC games are a bit questionable now. Some games well worth their price, and some games not. Anything more then $10 is really much IMO. The only time I could see them pricing a game more then what they are supposed to go for (according to it's console) is if they released a game(s) that was never released in North America. Hey, didn't Animal Crossing come out for N64 but in Japan only? See, that's something I'd try and pay something like $15 for it.

As for Goldeneye, who knows. I'd like for it to come out, but if the Wii isn't going to support online play in VC games.. then I rather see it on XBLA. Rare & Microsoft are BFF now, and the XBLA games are usually online enabled.

I was over at joystiq just now reading about the latest VC news, and was highly amused by all the comments from people who were bitching about the lack of good VC games at the moment. While that's true, c'mon people, IT'S BEEN TWO GODDAMN WEEKS SINCE THE SYSTEM LAUNCHED. Did they honestly expect Nintnendo to have every last one of their classic AAA titles all lined up to d/l on the first day? Had that happened, then they would have all been bitching a few months down the road after they had already played through Super Mario RPG/Mario Kart 64/Super Metroid about how they're weren't any good VC games left to look forward to during a Wii dry spell.

You could argue the point about how Japan is getting some great VC launch games, which is true, but they don't have an ESRB to fuss with.

Bottom line: Have some fuckn' patience.

Banjo Kazooie is being remade for the 360 now since that is all rare is capable of these days, no chance it will come to VC.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I was over at joystiq just now reading about the latest VC news, and was highly amused by all the comments from people who were bitching about the lack of good VC games at the moment. While that's true, c'mon people, IT'S BEEN TWO GODDAMN WEEKS SINCE THE SYSTEM LAUNCHED. Did they honestly expect Nintnendo to have every last one of their classic AAA titles all lined up to d/l on the first day? Had that happened, then they would have all been bitching a few months down the road after they had already played through Super Mario RPG/Mario Kart 64/Super Metroid about how they're weren't any good VC games left to look forward to during a Wii dry spell.

You could argue the point about how Japan is getting some great VC launch games, which is true, but they don't have an ESRB to fuss with.

Bottom line: Have some fuckn' patience.[/QUOTE]

I agree to a certain degree. There is a massive lull between now and March, and there are a TON of AAA games that Nintendo has, and a bunch released to Japan but not here (LTTP, SMW, etc). Hopefully we'll see those here during that lull, because once Zelda and TC are finished for me it's VC games or old GC games for me.

Too bad Rare owns the best FPS ever, that would be great to play with the wiimote.

Or are the VC games not using the wiimote? Like, could you point and shoot with it in an VC FPS?

[quote name='smalien1']Too bad Rare owns the best FPS ever, that would be great to play with the wiimote.

Or are the VC games not using the wiimote? Like, could you point and shoot with it in an VC FPS?[/QUOTE]

No.

[quote name='lordwow']No.[/QUOTE]

Of course VC games use the Wiimote. Look at the Nintendo, Genesis, and TG-16 games.

The thing is, right now it doesn't appear the motion-sensing capabilities can be used on emulated games. Certainly there's no reason why non-emulated VC games couldn't use the controller though...

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']Of course VC games use the Wiimote. Look at the Nintendo, Genesis, and TG-16 games.

The thing is, right now it doesn't appear the motion-sensing capabilities can be used on emulated games. Certainly there's no reason why non-emulated VC games couldn't use the controller though...[/QUOTE]

Yes you can, but what the post was suggesting was using the Wiimote as a Wiimote rather than a NES controller.

Nintendo has suggested that they would consider "wii-makes" of GameCube games with Wii-enhanced control; it is possible (albeit improbable) that they would be able to do the same for N64 games.

[quote name='smalien1']Too bad Rare owns the best FPS ever, that would be great to play with the wiimote.

Or are the VC games not using the wiimote? Like, could you point and shoot with it in an VC FPS?[/quote]Not yet, but it's going to happen. Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, adn Wild Gunman have already been rated by the ESRB for the VC, and I can't fathom them releasing those or the other Zapper games on the VC without using the Wiimote as the gun. Maybe the VC will allow me to play those SuperScope and Menacer games I drooled over as a kid but never owned. :)

[quote name='dallow']How do people feel about the prices now after seeing that PSOne games for the PS3 and PSP cost about 6 bucks?[/QUOTE]

Well considering you have to pay 500-600 for the system, and then another 200 to buy a PSP, and then another 20-50 for a decent sized flash card to hold the on, I'm not really all that worried.

Well considering you have to pay 500-600 for the system, and then another 200 to buy a PSP, and then another 20-50 for a decent sized flash card to hold the on, I'm not really all that worried.

So you're fine with Nintendo charging a lot more because the system (which they profit from) is cheaper?

I don't know, I was iffy on the prices already, but seeing whole PSOne games for sale at 6 bucks puts things in perspective.

I'll still take Mario 64 though, and any other good Ultra 64 game.

[quote name='porieux']So, anyone try any of the new VC games yet?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, is DK Jr any good? I know the DK they put up at first is the NES port of the arcade game and thus not so hot, but what about this SNES DK Jr? That must be halfway decent. IGN and such sites are really dropping the ball on their "VC Recommendations". Capsule reviews/impressions should be up ASAP when these games show up. They barely even mentioned these latest games. So this thread will probably have the best info I can find.

Edit - OK, I thought the DK Jr was a SNES game - thought I read that on IGN or something. But I did notice it was only 500 points - I thought maybe it was a special discount. Or is it really an NES game? If so, I'll probably pass.

Edit #2 - OK, here's the IGN blurb. They call it a SNES title but say it costs 500 points. No mention of that being remarkable because it would be a small discount. Maybe they are just wrong:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/748/748987p1.html

[quote name='dallow']So you're fine with Nintendo charging a lot more because the system (which they profit from) is cheaper?[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that. I said I'm not that worried.

Who knows. Maybe it'll force Nintendo to skew their cost down on the lower end NES games. I highly doubt it, but there's hope.

Beyond that, we can never fully achieve a level comparison. I can't say "well I saved 250 by getting a cheaper system, plus didn't need a $200 machine to play said downloaded games, but I did need the SD card so that's even....so that's $450 I can use for VC games before I consider the PS3 equal."

That's obviously not a fair judgement call, though I gaurantee someone will pass it off as one in the future. And again while I think it's weak, it's hard to not make it, 'cuz $450 worth of VC games would go a long, long way to evening it out.

Obviously if I can get Symphony of the Night portable for $6, that is beyond awesome and it makes Pinball and Soccer look pathetic by comparison. Which is why I'm not buying those games. I'd rather get Zelda or Mario 64, as those have substance, and then the $10 I'm paying for them seems much more palatable.

Sony is definitely aiming their guns on this a little squarely at Nintendo, and if they knew what was good for them, they'd reconsider the lower end of their pricing scheme, cuz what good is a game you can exhaust fully in less than half an hour?

People are so worried these are set in stone. There's going to be deals down the line (hell, there already has been), promotions, and other ways to get said points. And again, the small glimmer of hope Nintendo'll realize they could sell twice as many units if they shaved off a dollar here and there.

Oh well. Ice Hockey is the best sports game in the history of sports games, and I'd gladly buy it 4-5 times in a row.

Never mind about DK Jr - I went onto the Wii Shop tonight and saw that it is indeed an NES game - fucking IGN just had it wrong.

[quote name='dallow']I don't know, I was iffy on the prices already, but seeing whole PSOne games for sale at 6 bucks puts things in perspective.

I'll still take Mario 64 though, and any other good Ultra 64 game.[/quote]Personally I'd take any SNES game over any PSOne game, so it doesn't bother me at all. And deals will be far more common on Wii downloads, due to the points. Sony downloads are $5.99-$10.99 forever unless they run a promo. Any day of the week I can get 2000 points for $15 from Best Buy via GGC, which will give me NES games for $3.75, SNES for $6, and N64 for $7.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back