NFL 2007 Season Thread

oh cmon, smith is the youngest starter in the league, i cant believe you would discredit him already. i seriously doubt smith will play like this all year he will continue to get better.

This is Smith's third year and he is still has no composure in the pocket. As a fan I hope he gets better but it should be a now or never situation. It is his third year and he needs to play to his potential. We have waited 3 years and tonight he showed me no improvement over last year. Maybe if Norv Turner stayed around at Offensive Coordinator i would be more hopeful. We will see how he plays against good defenses like Pitt and Baltimore weeks 3 and 5.

[quote name='monkeydeew']didnt Leftwich just get cut b/c he SUX?[/QUOTE]
No because they thought they had a better chance to win with Garrard. With the players they had they thought there team was more fit around Garrard then Leftwich. Did not seem to help the Jags in Week 1 though.

[quote name='DomLando']Alex Smith improved in year 2 but I mean come on....his rating was 40.8 and he had 1 TD with 11 INTs. You cannot do much worse than that....[/quote]

Oh yes you can....

01_02_2007_rex_rollercoaste.jpg

Yah, Leftwich is definitely not the answer. Plus, Smith can change games with his mobility. You can't discredit that.

Well, I went 12-4 in my first week predictions. Missed on Minnesota, Tennessee, Carolina and Green Bay.

If I get time later, I'll research last year's thread and make my full predictions (with records).

[quote name='DJSteel']give Alex Smith a WR to throw to...watch him improve...[/QUOTE]
He has Darrell Jackson and Vernon Davis this year. Plus Gore can receive out of the backfield. He has all the tools he needs.

[quote name='primetime']I know exactly what you mean. I hate both teams, but this is why I love football.

Anybody hear about that potential espionage from the Pats? The NFL confiscated a tape from them. Supposedly they were stealing signals from the Jet's D.[/QUOTE]

Yes, if proven true, sounds like they will lose a draft pick or two. That would suck as NE does NOT need to cheat...although, this just seems innocent enough. I mean you can look across the sidelines if you really want.

[quote name='doubledown']Yes, if proven true, sounds like they will lose a draft pick or two. That would suck as NE does NOT need to cheat...although, this just seems innocent enough. I mean you can look across the sidelines if you really want.[/QUOTE]
But looking across the sidelines is a lot different then having a guy on your side with a camera. This is at least the second time this has happened with them. I hope they lose at least a first round pick.

Well, well, well....Charlie Frye's time in Cleveland is done. According to Glazer on FoxSports, the Browns shipped him off to Seattle today for a 6th round draft pick.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Well, well, well....Charlie Frye's time in Cleveland is done. According to Glazer on FoxSports, the Browns shipped him off to Seattle today for a 6th round draft pick.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that was rather quick. They also resigned Dorsey who they cut 10 days ago. It's only a matter of a game or two until Quinn starts.

OK, got my predictions transfered over from the other computer.

Buffalo 5-11
Miami 6-10
NE 10-6 (AFC East Winner, #4 Seed)
NYJ 6-10

Baltimore 11-5 (AFC North Winner, #2 Seed)
Cincy 10-6 (#5 Seed WC)
Cleveland 7-9
Pitt 9-7

Denver 9-7 (#6 Seed WC, tiebreaker over Pitt (Den def Pitt Week 7)
KC 8-8
Oakland 4-12 (I did predict them getting the #1 pick last year, too)
SD 11-5 (AFC West Winner, #3 Seed)

Houston 6-10
Indy 12-4 (AFC South Winner, #1 Seed)
Jax 8-8
Tenn 6-10

Dallas 8-8
NYG 8-8
Philly 10-6 (NFC East Winner, #2 Seed)
Wash 6-10

Chicago 11-5 (NFC Norris Winner, #1 Seed)
Detroit 6-10
GB 9-7 (#5 Seed WC)
Minn 5-11

Arizona 6-10
STL 10-6 (NFC West Winner, #3 Seed)
SF 9-7 (#6 Seed WC)
Seattle 9-7 (loses on same opponents tiebreaker to SF)

Atl 6-10
Carolina 9-7 (worse division record than NO)
NO 9-7 (NFC South Winner, #4 Seed)
TB 7-9

AFC
#6 Denver @ #3 San Diego
#5 Cincy @ #4 New England

#4 New England @ #1 Indy
#3 San Diego @ #2 Baltimore

#3 San Diego @ #1 Indy

NFC
#6 SF @ #3 STL
#5 GB @ #4 NO

#6 SF @ #1 Chicago
#4 NO @ #2 Philly

#2 Philly @ #1 Chicago

XLII - Colts 38 Eagles 24

[quote name='DomLando']But looking across the sidelines is a lot different then having a guy on your side with a camera. This is at least the second time this has happened with them. I hope they lose at least a first round pick.[/QUOTE]

Someone must be a Jets fan ;)

I do agree that a lot will frown upon this, but it just seems odd. Can a coach use binoculars....I mean they have them for coaches in the press box ;)

[quote name='doubledown']Someone must be a Jets fan ;)

I do agree that a lot will frown upon this, but it just seems odd. Can a coach use binoculars....I mean they have them for coaches in the press box ;)[/QUOTE]

The difference is the recording of it. I dunno, but they should be punished for it, if only for the second time that they have been caught. The first time they were caught, GB people had been told to look out for it. You have to wonder how many times they have done it, and how much of an advantage they have.

And to the poster who said that Detroit was in first place: that's technically not correct. Green Bay is in first place in the Norris right now because they beat an in-conference opponent.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Green Bay is in first place in the Norris... [/quote]

Kindly stop referring to the NFC North as the Norris as that is a Bermanism and therefore worthless, like its creator. Black & Blue (BNB) is an acceptable nickname. Thanks for your cooperation. ;)

[quote name='doubledown']Someone must be a Jets fan ;)

I do agree that a lot will frown upon this, but it just seems odd. Can a coach use binoculars....I mean they have them for coaches in the press box ;)[/QUOTE]
Haha nah I am a Niners fan. Maybe I just have a little more hate towards the Patriots then I should.

[quote name='DomLando']He has Darrell Jackson and Vernon Davis this year. Plus Gore can receive out of the backfield. He has all the tools he needs.[/quote]

DJ drops balls like hot potatoes. He's a 2nd WR at best. So what does that leave? VD and a dumpoff option?

[quote name='primetime']DJ drops balls like hot potatoes. He's a 2nd WR at best. So what does that leave? VD and a dumpoff option?[/QUOTE]
Jackson has a good amount of drops but he is still there number one option and was a leading receiver on Seattle. No he is not a Harrison or Moss but he is still a good weapon. Gore lead the team in receiving last year so do not discredit him as an out of the backfield option. Also Battle is an emerging 2nd WR. So he does have option to throw to. No he does not have an Owens or a Harrison, but he still has weapons. And when you have Gore in the backfield that should make the passing game that much easier.

Was anyone else surprised to see the Giant's backup QB? I thought he was a linemen!!!

I didn't watch the Raven's game but from the ESPN replays it really didn't seem/show of an offensive PI. It sounded like the ref made a bad call and on the next play he calls a defensive PI.

I'm digging my 49ers D...hold two pro-bowlers to 42 yards total!

Smith, is clutch he did this last year, coming up big when the time counts, the thing is, he doesn't need to "win" games, just "manage" them.

Oh, and if you saw the game you'll understand my sig, i'd trade VD for a Defensive Lineman. He's not Antonio Gates..

Good news On Kevin Evrett. Has movement in his legs and arms....From all the fans of the buffalo bills, we support ya kevin!!

yeah i would love to see that pats get punished..and see how they explain themselves. This happend last year in GB and they picked them apart and also this game..where they picked the jets apart. I think the pats could have anyway but not by a blowout.

losing a #1 pick would be fair enough..but who knows.

Sources: Goodell determines Pats broke rules by taping Jets' signals

link
Updated: September 11, 2007, 10:07 PM ET

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources.
NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.
The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Tuesday that no official decision has been made and that the club has not been notified.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.
Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft was asked when he expected a verdict, but said those questions had to be directed toward Goodell.
"There is an investigation going on now, and perhaps an adjudication of it, and I think it would be inappropriate at this time to make any comment," Kraft told reporters at a charity appearance Tuesday. "When you're successful in anything, a lot of people like to try to take you down and do different things. We understand that.

"We worked very hard to try to put an organization together that we all could be proud of in New England, and we're very proud of the New England Patriots organization and the record that they've established over the last 13 seasons and one game."
:shame:

[quote name='DT778']Sources: Goodell determines Pats broke rules by taping Jets' signals

link
:shame:[/QUOTE]

Just what I'd expect from Bellichek and company.

The pats are a cheating team. They never should've been able to beat the Raiders(brady fumbled the ball) when they went on to win the superbowl. I wouldn't be surprised if the refs were in on it as well. They also got away with holding the other teams WRs. The only legit superbowl they won was against the Eagles.

OK people, I'm trying something new: giving you my picks before the games start. I'm putting my winning percentage on the line for you all to see.

Week 1: 12-4

Week 2:
NO @ TB
GB @ NYG
SF @ STL
ATL @ JAX
IND @ TEN
CIN @ CLE
BUF @ PIT
HOU @ CAR
MIN @ DET
DAL @ MIA
SEA @ ARI
KC @ CHI
OAK @ DEN
NYJ @ BAL
SD @ NE
WAS @ PHI

I get the feeling I'll be wrong on GB, but I'm sticking to my pre-season picks all the way, just like last year. As an added bonus, I'm trying something else new as well: Top 25 NCAAF picks.

The Top 25 (AP) teams I have losing:
#9 Louisville (@ UR Kentucky)
#10 Ohio State (@ UR Washington)
#14 Nebraska (Home vs #1 USC)
#15 GT (Home vs #21 BC)
#16 Arkansas (@ UR Alabama)
#22 Tennessee (@ #5 Florida)

So, we'll see how I do.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']OK people, I'm trying something new: giving you my picks before the games start. I'm putting my winning percentage on the line for you all to see.

Week 1: 12-4

Week 2:
NO @ TB
GB @ NYG
SF @ STL
ATL @ JAX
IND @ TEN
CIN @ CLE
BUF @ PIT
HOU @ CAR
MIN @ DET
DAL @ MIA
SEA @ ARI
KC @ CHI
OAK @ DEN
NYJ @ BAL
SD @ NE
WAS @ PHI

I get the feeling I'll be wrong on GB, but I'm sticking to my pre-season picks all the way, just like last year. As an added bonus, I'm trying something else new as well: Top 25 NCAAF picks.

The Top 25 (AP) teams I have losing:
#9 Louisville (@ UR Kentucky)
#10 Ohio State (@ UR Washington)
#14 Nebraska (Home vs #1 USC)
#15 GT (Home vs #21 BC)
#16 Arkansas (@ UR Alabama)
#22 Tennessee (@ #5 Florida)

So, we'll see how I do.[/QUOTE]
This is funny because we have an office NFL pool pick'em each week and I meant to check this thread before I made my picks but the funny thing is that I have almost the same exact picks as CocheseUGA except for these two games:
GB @ NYG and Hou @ Car.

I picked Green Bay because I know that Eli Manning is still out with his shoulder injury for at least another 1 to 2 weeks that the only thing that stop me from picking them. I picked Houston because I knew that everybody else in the pool would pick Carolina so that was my only upset special of the week. I try to pick one game that I know most people wouldn't pick the team to win.

I'm still laughing at how the last five games between all of us though are the same picks. I just realized that I had to make my picks before CocheseUGA posted his picks.

Keep in mind I use my pre-season stuff (I pick every game before the start of the season), otherwise I would have picked those two games differently too. Oh well. But, that's just how I roll. ;)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, what in the hell is wrong with New Orleans?[/quote]

[quote name='mykevermin']Fixed.[/quote]

Glad I started Devery Henderson instead of Braylon Edwards this week in my fantasy league :bomb:

Man, I started Deuce McAllister today.

And WTF is up with Carolina? Houston is taking them behind the woodshed.

*edit* Holy crap myke, I see what you mean now about Cincy.

I feel bad for the Bills.. it's tough to get up after that incident with Everett... I'm glad the Stillers are taking care of them...

[quote name='DJSteel']I feel bad for the Bills.. it's tough to get up after that incident with Everett... I'm glad the Stillers are taking care of them...[/quote]

J.P. Losman is my backup on my fantasy team. Looks like I am going to have to cut him.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']J.P. Losman is my backup on my fantasy team. Looks like I am going to have to cut him.[/quote]

I wouldn't blame him.. his receivers were rarely open...and give him this.. He didn't do anything stupid...

Why does it seem like teams are scared to run on Cincy from within the 5?

The box score from that game is amazing and it's not even over yet.

[quote name='DJSteel']Steelers are 2-0 and given up 10 pts in two games??? 9-7 team?? I think not..[/quote]
Using wins against Buffalo and Cleveland as reasons the Steelers are better than 9-7? You've got to be kidding me. Let them play somebody that has a shot at the playoffs.

bread's done
Back