Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Discussion (Hype/Speculation/Anticipation)

I thought it was a pretty lame update since it had like no gameplay footage. After this many years in the pipeline we should have some actual details!

I still haven't bought a next-gen system. Waitng to see ME-A. This looks promising. I really wanted to see the galaxy map.

After letting it sink in a little and watching the teaser a couple more times, I'm feeling more disappointed that this was our third E3 in a row of rocket launch footage and developers sitting at desks. I was hoping for something to really chew on this time. Like a trailer that went into some specifics on the story and characters, and/or a 5 or 10 minute gameplay demo.

Eeeee, love it but I'm wondering if they're holding some of the footage off for E3 week. I was flipping through my news on Flipboard and saw the new trailer and went wait EA had a press conference today!?

Yeah EA's whole conference was pretty lame actually. Barely any info on Visceral's Star Wars game except confirming that it exists (not even a title), a cool trailer for Titanfall 2 but one that already came out earlier in the day, and another behind the scenes teaser for ME. Aside from that it was all sports (like a LOT of sports) and Battlefield, neither of which does anything for me.

A few seconds of Mass Effect is better than nothing, but jeez, less than a year before release and they can't give us a proper teaser?  Or even a  fuck ing synopsis?  At least they showed their team working on it again; good to know they have employees, I guess.  Oh, and it's big.  Really big.  Bigger than anything they've done before.  At least that is what they keep telling us.  This game better be so big that if I want to, I can pilot my Normandy SR3 over to Skyrim and fight some dragons.  I better be able to cruise over to the Cosmodrome and crush some Fallen Dregs in the Mako, if I feel so inclined.  That's how big it should be.

Oh, and I'm sticking by my prediction of November 7, 2017.

Ah boy.   I'm a broken record at this point.....love ME to death, favorite game series of all time .... yadda yadda.  But that wasn't even a story trailer!  And godd-effin-dammit, they showed people at their desks.  No.  I'm on lockdown on this game.  I'll resurface on November 7th for the annual celebration of all things Shepard and the old crew and spend a few bucks irresponsibly, but other than that, give me a nudge when we have a release date (I say May 2017) and a CE announced. 

General rant aside, I liked what I saw.  The game is purdy as all get out and it looked ME-ish.  The Tempest looks cool, but a little derivative of the Normandy.  It was cool to see a straight up Mako and the Kodiaks, too.  I'm sure we'll all love this new game, but F Bioware's marketing and PR department right in the ear. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah EA's whole conference was pretty lame actually. Barely any info on Visceral's Star Wars game except confirming that it exists (not even a title), a cool trailer for Titanfall 2 but one that already came out earlier in the day, and another behind the scenes teaser for ME. Aside from that it was all sports (like a LOT of sports) and Battlefield, neither of which does anything for me.
Dat Titanfall 2, tho. Holy crap that looked amazing. The way both the single and multiplayer trailers ended had me hooting and hollering.

So apparently Mac Walters was interviewed today (I don't have a source link) and dropped some additional info:

- The player character is indeed called Ryder
- There is more than one Ryder (sounded like maybe a Fallout 4 situation where both characters exist and you choose which one to play. Probably a brother and sister in this case)
- The female version of the character will be the default choice and the focus of marketing, opposite to Shepard
- BioWare is in the last leg/polish phase of development and is still planning to hit the early 2017 release timeframe

Hopefully that still means a 1Q 2017 release window with it coming out in March.   BB is usually a better idea on forecasting release dates since they send you emails when the release date changed quicker than Amazon in my past experience. 

Sooo I'm all for strong female leads but what's the point without Hale at the helm. I believe everyone forgot that's why we all played as Femshep - all of us on one playthrough at least.

Sooo I'm all for strong female leads but what's the point without Hale at the helm. I believe everyone forgot that's why we all played as Femshep - all of us on one playthrough at least.
Oh, that's going to take some getting used to if the female lead isn't using Hale's voice. :bomb:

Well, all of us save one of us, who pretends femShep never existed. ;)

Oh, that's going to take some getting used to if the female lead isn't using Hale's voice. :bomb:

Well, all of us save one of us, who pretends femShep never existed. ;)
Yeah, I started one Femshep run in ME2 and stopped shortly after. It's the dude on the box or it ain't happening. That being said....with Andromeda, it might be the chick on the box this time.

I played a FemShep profile or two for Hale and that Renegade badassery she recorded so well. God, that was so much fun.

Simple example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ_a0T2SLAI

I also mainly stuck with male Shep. Did a female through ME1 and ME2 but not ME3 and any replays now just use Male Shep. Nothing wrong with Hale. I just preferred playing as male Shep.

No way they bring back Hale or Meer for the main character voice. The whole point is that this is a new character, not Shepard. Hopefully the new actors are as good as they both were though!

Thanks for posting that, Ryuu.  Made the meh presentation from the EA presentation much more enlightening and it's a much more interesting thing that they seem to be doing.  Let's hope it's not a huge faceplant with it not working like they thought it would when they had high plans for the ME3 branching storyline that was less than expected. 

I'm OK with no Meer and no Hale as voice actors, though there's a very high bar for the main character's VA with those two in the past. 

EDIT: Mass Effect VR?  Oh my.  :D/

EXCELLENT find, my man. As a certifiable lore-whore, this was just what I needed to get my Mass Effect mojo back. I recently read on Twitter that Mac Walters said we wouldn't hear much more before N7 day, which bummed me out. I really hope this first book comes out at some point this year. August would be fantastic.

This is me reacting to this news:

giphy.gif

Random thought I was wondering about today: Does anyone actually call Shepard "Shep" in the games, or is that just a fan thing?
I think it's just a fan thing. I can't think of one instance where "Shep" is used.

Here's another random thought.......what bit/non-squadmate characters from the original trilogy do you think could somehow make it onto an Ark and be part of Andromeda? I had two thoughts, one more reasonable than the other......Kahlee Sanders or Aria. Aria is doubtful, but I'd love to have her as a squadmate.

I think it's just a fan thing. I can't think of one instance where "Shep" is used.

Here's another random thought.......what bit/non-squadmate characters from the original trilogy do you think could somehow make it onto an Ark and be part of Andromeda? I had two thoughts, one more reasonable than the other......Kahlee Sanders or Aria. Aria is doubtful, but I'd love to have her as a squadmate.
Shiala (the Feros Asari) also might be a possibility for that.

Shiala (the Feros Asari) also might be a possibility for that.
Man this would be awesome. I always liked Shiala a lot in Mass Effect and I wish she had been used more in the other games. IIRC she wasn't present in ME3 at all so she'd actually be a good candidate to be boarding the arks at that time.

Honestly though I think there are going to be few if any direct story ties to the Shepard trilogy.

Man this would be awesome. I always liked Shiala a lot in Mass Effect and I wish she had been used more in the other games. IIRC she wasn't present in ME3 at all so she'd actually be a good candidate to be boarding the arks at that time.

Honestly though I think there are going to be few if any direct story ties to the Shepard trilogy.
Forgot who she was since she dates back to ME1, though this was a nice refresher:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Shiala

I think doing my Sheploo run through, I saved her though on my femShep run through, I shot her in the end.

Thing if, if she escapes on one of the arks, maybe the Thorian makes its way to Andromeda, dormant in her for some time and then goes non-dormant again.

An ME trilogy remake/release....whatever....on X1/PS4 would be an instant purchase.  Probably on both consoles.  If they did some type of LE or CE, I'd be all over that too.  This will be the Star Wars of videogame releases.  Every time, I'll be there.  :bow:

And I'm with Ryuu, I'd totally be up for 100%ing these titles again.  In fact, I've even tinkered with the idea of pulling out my old windows phone to 100% that horrible mobile game.  Then I'd have every available achievement on an xbox platform.   Dat motion sickness, do. 

20081103.jpg

Sorry, I missed it from before. Ran across it when trying to find something from YouTube to stream to my phone to test a wireless access point earlier today.

I had to go to YouTube this morning and watch my annual conversation with Sovereign. Every now and then I get a hankerin' to relive it. The more I reflect on this part the more I think this was my favorite memory ever of a game:

" Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding."

"In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant. We simply... are.

You exist because we allow it. You will end because we demand it.

I defy anyone not to get chills during that conversation the first time through. Sovereign and Harbinger were both fantastic villains, it sucks that (for some reason) BioWare decided not to give Harbinger any screen time in ME3.

That scene at the end of the ME2 DLC where you had another conversation with Harbinger was great.  I should go back and at least watch those scenes. 

bread's done
Back