Official NHL 17 Discussion/CAG Team Thread - Ausfahrt Banditos: The Res-Erection

Ha Ha. So what's the time line for a 92 with collectibles)?
Well, it's 100 draft champion collectibles for the 92 Malhotra (ie. 100 wins). The big allure is that he has the highest faceoff rating of anyone in the game (97). Sooo...yeah, it's not going to be a pretty grind since the single player games take about 25-30 minutes each. But at least now I can just leave my system on while I'm doing other stuff. You still have to press A between periods and whatnot...but it's still way better than playing through 100 games.

That's a big IF, if your team can even make it four rounds. I drafted almost all legends and lost the third game to the Bruins by 5-1.
Yeah, it's definitely not without some typical EA fuckery. If there was ever something to prove that there's a "balancing engine" *cough* ice tilt *cough* in the game, this would have to be it. I had a team of Sakic, Hull, Malkin, Kessel, Keith, Byfuglien, and Roy as my goalie...matched up against Philadelphia, and they scored 6 goals on 15 shots...against Patrick freaking Roy. I had to intervene in the 3rd period to prevent my stud team from losing.

This is the CPU playing against itself...with one team being vastly superior, and that's the shit that happens. I was sitting there watching my legend players fan on shots, ignore open scoring chances because they "needed" to make one more pass, skate straight into defenders, etc. I'm not sure what other explanation there is. The CPU playing against itself is somehow evening the game out.

And while they did spank Vancouver and Buffalo without any trouble, the next game, against Minnesota, the Wild put up 4 goals on 7 shots against Roy...while my guys had 1 goal on 13 shots after two periods of play. Again, I took over in the 3rd and brought them back to win (not without Roy giving up another goal on 2 shots though). I ended up winning 6-5. I finished with 23 shots, while Minnesota had 9.

So, yeah...for sure, this method isn't fool proof...mainly because this game is such a giant piece of shit that nothing makes any sense. But it at least gives you a way to earn some collectibles without feeling the full weight of the grind. I'm going to try a different drafting strategy of just drafting the most defensive team I can and see what happens. I'd rather take over a 0-0 game in the 3rd period than have to come back from 3 goals down.

Well,time to test our expierment Nate. First two games are cake. Third game is the one where I think somehow EA turns up the difficulty. Time to test it.

I really don't get the NHL scheduling. Preds had their first game at home last night, then immediately had to travel to Chicago to play them again tonight.

So, now, both teams are basically forced to use their backups already. Just seems like having a back to back wasn't really necessary this soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nashville outshoots Chicago 16-8 in the 1st...and is losing 3-1. I'd say "EA is right!" but Marek Mazanec is a really shitty goalie. Preds are going to miss Carter Hutton if Rinne has to sit much.

Meanwhile, Scott Darling is playing out of his mind. Feels like the 2015 playoffs, haha.

NHL 17 patch is out! Only a 144mb download. Patch notes are long AF. Putting in spoilers for that reason.

EDIT - Nevermind, those are the old patch notes. I saw it on the EA Forums and got excited. Doesn't appear they've posted notes for the new patch yet.

EDIT 2 - Found em...and wow...they barely did anything.

Version 1.03
GAMEPLAY
Improved functionality to stick lifts in the open ice and during net battles.

EA SPORTS Hockey League
Addressed issue with EASHL Drop-in's where captains on the Class Select screen couldn't change player class or jersey selection.
Added a roster download check on entry into EASHL to fix an issure where Creation Zone in EASHL wouldn't load newly added jerseys or equipment.
Resolution to a jersey issue wouldn't load newly added jerseys or equipment.
Resolved issue were some EASHL teams were not able to matchup in regular season games after winning an EASHL Playoff Championship

Hockey Ultimate Team
Reduce the chances of the HUT Infinite load issue from occuring.
Added additional telemetry logging to help up gather more information about the HUT infinite load issue

GENERAL:
Improved game stability online and offline based on some crash issues seen by the community.

Also, here you go Nate. Enjoy!! Muuaahh Ha Ha!!

https://youtu.be/LB3CybXl8rs
Haha! Yes! I'll have to watch that later.

In HUT news...I'm not sure if I want to upgrade my team anymore. I feel like I'm at the tipping point where the game starts punishing you for having good players (because we know it does). My current team is fairly mediocre...but fast as shit and mostly good shooters. This is what I'm currently running:

MacKinnon - Linden - Nyquist

Forsberg - Backstrom - Boedker

Gaborik - Stastny - Hagelin

Lindholm - Marleau - Nieto

Krug - Shattenkirk

Yandle - Hamilton

Rielly - Barrie

Crawford - Talbot

Not a stacked team by any means, but I have 5 synergies activated (Passing Playmaker, Offensive Juggernaut, Speedster, Tape To Tape, and Team Wheel). Thanks to Team Wheel and Speedster, I have 7 players with 95+ speed. And nobody on my team has acceleration below 90 or speed below 88.

I thought about swapping out my speedsters for legitimately good players. So, I picked up Pacioretty for like 12K and got a steal on Parise at only 16K. I supplemented them with a couple cheap Wicked Wrister guys to get that synergy activated...and then I proceeded to get stomped 11-3. Nothing else about my team changed. But suddenly my players were retarded. Skating away from pucks, abandoning players in the slot, etc. Switched back to my speedster lineup and won the next 3 games.

I don't get it.

I know you asked last night Nate, so here if your answer.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power

So, its pretty much a Tablet with an adjustable controller. I hate to say it but, see ya Nintendo.
EDIT - So, this kind of turned into a rant, but dammit...Nintendo is making me sad. :cry:

Yeah, wow...that's, I don't know. I'm not sure how that's really going to appeal to people. You have to wonder about the capabilities of the thing. Is it even going to be as powerful as the Wii U? It seems like the selling point is that you have one device for both home gaming and on the go gaming...but if people actually wanted that, wouldn't we have seen people using the HDMI out on their tablet to play on their TV?

I guess the counter argument to that is "Yeah, but they didn't have Nintendo games to play." Ok, sure. But is Mario, Kirby, and Link enough to make people play video games in a stupid way? Super Mario Maker was an incredible game and even it couldn't make the Wii U relevant. It makes me sad that the NES Classic is probably going to outshine this thing ten times over...and it's a $60 emulator in a neat package. I honestly think Nintendo would have been better off having the new console VERY similar to the NES Classic. If you're not going to go after super next gen graphics anyway, go back to simplicity.

Give people a modern day version of the NES. Make it super easy to develop indie games on (hell, they could copy Steam's Greenlight feature even). I feel like Nintendo continuously keeps trying to impress 3rd parties with creative tech...and they just don't give a shit. I also saw on The Verge them talking about possible custom controller peripherals that could be catered to each game (ie. a "gun" attachment for shooters, a camera attachment for Pokemon Snap, a fishing reel attachment, etc). And while that sounds like a neat idea, if it's not profitable, nobody is going to do it.

So, then it's just going to be a strange system and a few good first party games...again...for the 4th generation in a row. Nintendo needs to realize having stuff like Madden and Call of Duty doesn't even matter anymore because people who want to play stuff like that don't want to play it on a Nintendo system. They'd probably be better served getting quirky unique games that normally only show up on PC.

And the name...Nintendo Switch. They have no identity anymore. Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch. Ok, Caitlyn Jenner. Go back to basics. Make a box with controllers (hell, you could even make them look like NES controllers). Make a new Duck Hunt game (it can be done). Call it NINTENDO. Watch people lose their minds. Profit.

Here you go, Gary. Kind of weird that this guy is so religious, but he has a hell of a comprehensive list.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-YiEnHJ4s[/youtube]

So, five Predators players got food poisoning in shit ass Detroit last night, and are out for tonight's game. Proof positive that you shouldn't eat or drink anything that comes from the state of Michigan.  :wall:

So, five Predators players got food poisoning in shit ass Detroit last night, and are out for tonight's game. Proof positive that you shouldn't eat or drink anything that comes from the state of Michigan. :wall:
Nashville shouldn't have put them up in a hotel with Flint water.

Nashville shouldn't have put them up in a hotel with Flint water.
I don't know where the hell they ate at, but they should go back and burn that place down, lol. Seriously, 5 emergency call ups from Milwaukee tonight...to play Pittsburgh. Tied 1-1 after 1.

One positive thing to come out of it, they're giving Juuse Saros another look in net. He lost the backup job to Mazanec out of training camp, but has been on fire for Milwaukee. 3-0, 1.05 GAA, and 96% SA%. Only 21 too. I'm hoping he turns into something because Rinne has been a little inconsistent as he ages.

EDIT - Damn...well that was a hell of a period. Preds put 4 on the board and are just outskating Pittsburgh. Laviolette's really going to have some thinking to do after this game. These young kids are just going after it. Arvidsson and Fiala with 2 goals each.

EDIT 2 - Well, that was a game I didn't really expect. Juuse Saros gives up a goal on the first shot he faced (on a 2 on 0 breakaway though)...then stops the next 34 shots for his first career win. He's tiny compared to most modern goalies too. Only 5'10". His mask is pretty sweet though.

[attachment=24167:sarosmask3.jpg]

You just made his Argument valid. People only visit Michigan (like my self every December) for Tim Hortons and hockey lol. Only other thing is Gurnsey's

This game...lost 3-1 to a crap team that got every bounce (had a breakout where I passed the puck up, my two nearest players skated into each other, so instead of receiving the pass, the puck rocketed backward...where one of his guys picked it up for a breakaway) and had Roberto Luongo standing on his head.

Next game...I get an easy 4-1 win against the NEW (Bruce Buffer style) most bought team i have ever seen:

Bossy, Bourque, Bucyk, Burns, Hull, Kurri, Linden, Lindros, MacInnis, Modano, Muller, Neely, Niedermayer, Ovechkin, Pietrangelo, Pouliot, Thornton, Weber

Kolzig, Joseph

Fortunately, I put up 4 goals on 21 shots against Kolzig (94 goalie...yup).

But if any of you guys run into the gamertag McGruffinz with a team name of Meatballz...that's what you'll be facing.

Purchased 15 Movember packs(yeah, the limit lol) Saving 5 of them but so far out of 10 packs, a ton of collectibles, Filip Forsberg Mov, Jagr Mov, Kucherov Mov, and Duncan Keith Mov.

Purchased 15 Movember packs(yeah, the limit lol) Saving 5 of them but so far out of 10 packs, a ton of collectibles, Filip Forsberg Mov, Jagr Mov, Kucherov Mov, and Duncan Keith Mov.
Nice. I only had 1500 points left from the Amazon deal when the game came out...and I didn't feel like giving EA more money. So, I just bought regular gold packs. EA's wording of the Movember packs having "the best chance" for a Movember card didn't instill me with a ton of confidence.

In the five gold packs I opened, I didn't pull any Movembers...but I did pull a Wendel Clark. Not great by any means, but it gave me a lot of cards to sell off to keep doing sets. I'm finishing up St. Louis right now and that's the 9th one I've done.

I had bought 3 of those 100k packs the other day. No Movember cards or collectibles. The best pulls were Duchene, Josi, and Robitaille.

I had bought 3 of those 100k packs the other day. No Movember cards or collectibles. The best pulls were Duchene, Josi, and Robitaille.
Well, you probably came close to breaking even considering what those three sell for. So, while that's not great considering the packs and their boasts...it's not exactly devastating either.

Well, I have off this week. So if anybody is up for Pre Pre Pre Pre Hockey, just send me an invite or message. Thursday night I'll be at the game but be able to play afterwards.

Well, I have off this week. So if anybody is up for Pre Pre Pre Pre Hockey, just send me an invite or message. Thursday night I'll be at the game but be able to play afterwards.
Yeah, I should be on. Brandon and I have really been playing a couple games almost every night, haha.

Also, this was from Reddit...how to actually fight in NHL 17.

• Left Stick - Pushing and pulling relative to your characters position on screen.
  • Right Stick Up - Straight Punch
  • Right Stick Down - Upper Cut
  • Right Trigger - Dodge
  • Left Trigger - Grab
  • (You can also throw punches with A and B (X and O) which I prefer over the right stick)
Using all these controls is where it gets tricky. Dodging right before a punch is thrown will make your opponent vulnerable to hits. Pushing and pulling really can throw off an opponents stance causing him to not be able to throw strong punches. Grabbing LT, L2, before you throw your punch, will make for stronger punches as you are pulling them towards you before the punch is thrown (this can also be done with the pushing and pulling Left Stick). If you can time it right, pressing RT (Dodge) just as the players is throwing a punch and then immediately pressing LT (Grab) is cool!

Just like the game it self, fighting is all about well timed moves. Throw your punches, dodge punches, and grab your opponent at the most opportune time.

I've learned how to beat them them a good 80% of the time now. Let them throw the first punch, Push up on their jersey, spam till content. Has worked every time.

Ha ha ha ha. That is great!! Memberwhen you could injure your self?

Honestly, I wish EA answered why they have props, but you can't even use them. Makes zero sense.

Ha ha ha ha. That is great!! Memberwhen you could injure your self?

Honestly, I wish EA answered why they have props, but you can't even use them. Makes zero sense.
Yup...it's crazy that it's even a customizable item that you can pick for your team...but if it weren't for their horrific camera angles and pisspoor game testing, you'd never even know they were there. But they won't ever address it because...hey, HUT packs!

In other news, pretty great Humble bundle launched today:

https://www.humblebundle.com/unreal-engine-bundle

Sry I'm never on on Friday nights hardly. Lol Trying to buy coins on reddit because I got crap in the Movember packs I bought. But I can't buy any coins either because no reddit rep over there.

bread's done
Back