Preorder Destiny: The Taken King Legendary Edition for $59.99 (GS/Amazon/BB); Collector's Edition $79.99 (GS exclusive)

Couldn't resist the Amazon trade-in deal hell even at the lower value of $28 its still a great deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="ajh2298" post="12918422" timestamp="1442243110"]Couldn't resist the Amazon trade-in deal hell even at the lower value of $28 its still a great deal.[/quote]

Agreed, decided I'm going to get it even if I don't get around to it for awhile.

Anyone seen an unboxing yet of the disc cover art? Just wondering if they are the same as vanilla? If so, I'll gladly trade mine in for $20 off, otherwise I'll keep it to be all collect-y like.

I'm assuming it different codes for the first 2 expansions and The Taken King. I already have the first 2 expansions so if that is the case I will have codes for those that I will be looking to sell. PM me if interested.

My library acquires new game releases every now and then, which allows me to save a lot of money if there's a game I'm interested in playing but not buying.

They're apparently getting Destiny: The Taken King Legendary Edition.

gus-psyche-popcorn.gif
My library gets most new releases and they leave the dlc inserts in there, so whoever checks it out first hits the jackpot.

so I received my copy of the game today. Got the Legendary Edition. It comes with a disc absolutely identical to the vanilla disc. It also includes a 30day PS Plus, a code for the Taken King and an exclusive gun code thingy. Kinda dumb. I had assumed the disc would be, ya know with all the content on it but whatever I guess. Shoulda gotten the CE.

My library acquires new game releases every now and then, which allows me to save a lot of money if there's a game I'm interested in playing but not buying.

They're apparently getting Destiny: The Taken King Legendary Edition.

gus-psyche-popcorn.gif
Sweet dude hopefully you get it before the code is used if not you'll have vanilla destiny to look forward ro

Mine shipped earlier today. Free shipping and an estimated delivery of this Thursday. Only got the shipping notification after I called and delt with a 35min hold though.

If I understand this right, if you have just the base Destiny game, the DLC in the legendary edition will give you the first two expansion packs plus TKK expansion.  If you don't buy the legendary edition but own the base Destiny game, you can just pay for the difference online for $40 to get everything else (Expansions I, II, and TKK).  But if you already own Expansions I & II and want to upgrade to TKK, you still have to pay the $40?  

If I understand this right, if you have just the base Destiny game, the DLC in the legendary edition will give you the first two expansion packs plus TKK expansion. If you don't buy the legendary edition but own the base Destiny game, you can just pay for the difference online for $40 to get everything else (Expansions I, II, and TKK). But if you already own Expansions I & II and want to upgrade to TKK, you still have to pay the $40?
To get the $40 price you need to own the first 2 expansions.

so I received my copy of the game today. Got the Legendary Edition. It comes with a disc absolutely identical to the vanilla disc. It also includes a 30day PS Plus, a code for the Taken King and an exclusive gun code thingy. Kinda dumb. I had assumed the disc would be, ya know with all the content on it but whatever I guess. Shoulda gotten the CE.
Wonder if the CE has the exact same disc? Interesting that they didn't even bother putting "the taken king" or something on the label if its "absolutely identical" :(

Wonder if the CE has the exact same disc? Interesting that they didn't even bother putting "the taken king" or something on the label if its "absolutely identical" :(
Why make another disc art/reprint discs if the content on it is identical? I understand due to collecting purposes it's cool to have it unique. But if they put Taken King on the disc and there is no new content on the disc for Taken King, is that not deceptive advertising?

So are there 2 codes?  1 for TDB/HoW/TTK and another for the CE content in the GS exclusive CE?

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like everything including the CE stuff is on a single code from what was posted on reddit.

Congrats. Did you get saver? Is your ETA tomorrow?

Also, looks like someone got their CE early:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3kp0ke/spoiler_destiny_ttk_collectors_edition_unboxing/

Confirmed 1 fucking code!

All I can do now to make up some cost is trade in the disc.
Yeah I got saver shipping but no ETA since I don't think they actually handed it to UPS yet. I do have a tracking number. Doubt I'll get it tomorrow but I'll update when I get a date.

Edit: ETA Thursday according to UPS My Choice.

So are there 2 codes? 1 for TDB/HoW/TTK and another for the CE content in the GS exclusive CE?
I only saw mention of one code on the reddit post:

"Edit 3: I was just able to redeem the single code that came with the game, and the code is for the Digital collectors edition, which means the game + the goodies, and you can download it and play without the Disc "or so i think""

Ok so here's what I'm doing. Maybe others can do this to help people out and get a pretty good deal themselves at the same time.

1. Buy 2x copies with GCU from Best Buy. Total cost is about $104 depending on taxes.

2. Sell one of the codes only to a CAG in need for $35 or less.

3. Trade in one or both copies to Amazon, depending on what you need yourself.

Yeah I'm curious about the CE disc as well. It's kind of sad to me that the disc is no different than vanilla. I guess I don't really have much of a problem selling off one of the discs now though. Still kinda lame :/

Yeah I'm curious about the CE disc as well. It's kind of sad to me that the disc is no different than vanilla. I guess I don't really have much of a problem selling off one of the discs now though. Still kinda lame :/
Its on the reddit link I posted above...well the PS version:

AuvHiwH.jpg

Thanks for all the info, fellas.

I am buying the PS4 tomorrow purely for the new model so will just sell the physical copy and the digital upgrade code that comes with the system on ebay/craigslist.  

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but do we have any idea what the trade in value will be at Gamestop or Best Buy?  I often find that Gamestop pays more than Amazon, but it seems hard to top $34.

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but do we have any idea what the trade in value will be at Gamestop or Best Buy? I often find that Gamestop pays more than Amazon, but it seems hard to top $34.
Gamestop is a little smarter than Amazon with respect to these things - they will give you the same amount as for the base game. That is currently $14.

Amazon trade-in will be YMMV since the disc is plain vanilla. They may reject it because of that. Most likely some will get rejected and some won't as Amazon trade-in is notoriously inconsistent. Because of that I'm on the fence about trading it in at all and might just pay the $40 online for TTK code and skip trying to trade anything anywhere.

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but do we have any idea what the trade in value will be at Gamestop or Best Buy? I often find that Gamestop pays more than Amazon, but it seems hard to top $34.
I think you'll get a good value from Best Buy, they usually dont devalue a TIV because of vouchers. Im guessing $30-$35 base.

my gs order still hasn't shipped. I paid for 1 day so hopefully it arrives tomorrow.
my ps4 one shipped but my xbox one hadnt so i called their customer service the guy told me for whatever reason xbone version were being processed after ps4 versions but that it would be shipped before the close of business.

My xbox order has shipped i ordered the collectors edition with value shipping and says it will be here by Wednesday, that was fast

Gamestop is a little smarter than Amazon with respect to these things - they will give you the same amount as for the base game. That is currently $14.
I'm not sure this is completely accurate. I traded in Trials Fusion for about $25 when $20 of the Trials Fusion value was in the season pass that came with the retail version of the game. The retail version was $40 new. I bought the game from somewhere else for about $15 and then traded in the disc and bought the digital base game. Of course, Gamestop was selling the used version for $30 to $35 at that point.

I have a feeling Gamestop will offer a decent trade in and sell the Taken King used version for a hefty price. Unknowing or uncaring customers will find out later that the codes are important.

Regardless, I guess we'll know soon enough.

Finally! Got my shipping notification from GS. Paid for 2 day shipping and its expected to be delivered by tomorrow. Can't wait to get my very own strange coin. I'll need more though. Can't really buy anything good from Xur with just one coin.

I'm not sure this is completely accurate. I traded in Trials Fusion for about $25 when $20 of the Trials Fusion value was in the season pass that came with the retail version of the game. The retail version was $40 new. I bought the game from somewhere else for about $15 and then traded in the disc and bought the digital base game. Of course, Gamestop was selling the used version for $30 to $35 at that point.

I have a feeling Gamestop will offer a decent trade in and sell the Taken King used version for a hefty price. Unknowing or uncaring customers will find out later that the codes are important.

Regardless, I guess we'll know soon enough.
I'm just basing it on previous GS behavior. They tend not to differentiate between collectors editions and regular (they have the same TiV and price used). This may be a little different since it is technically a "new" release. But we'll see. I certainly wouldn't count on it being much more at GS.

Got back from my GS asking questions about the midnight release tonight.

I was told by management that there is a promo that if you put a $5 pre-order for black ops 3 on the same transaction as picking up your copy of destiny, you'll get triple the rewards points.

Super awesome deal for those picking up the PS4 bundle.

Hah - so apparently Gamestop called me on Saturday and left a message that they are selling TTK at 9pm.  So I might as well go up there and get it.  Though I just talked to them and they want me to come between 8 and 8:30 to pay for it, then wait till 9pm to pick it up.  What is this, a console release!?  I don't want to spend that much time doing that ;).  I'll go around 8:45-ish...

Now I'm wondering if Best Buy will be open after 9 for sales...

Getting the game at midnight seems stupid to me. You can't play taken king until around 5am eastern so I fail to see the rush to get it and then sit and wait another 5 hours or so.

Amazon trade-in will be YMMV since the disc is plain vanilla. They may reject it because of that. Most likely some will get rejected and some won't as Amazon trade-in is notoriously inconsistent. Because of that I'm on the fence about trading it in at all and might just pay the $40 online for TTK code and skip trying to trade anything anywhere.
This is what I've been wondering. I do have the tiv locked with Amazon, but who knows what they could say or even reject it just cause.

Getting the game at midnight seems stupid to me. You can't play taken king until around 5am eastern so I fail to see the rush to get it and then sit and wait another 5 hours or so.
Midnight (or 9pm since now they sync up with East Coast out here on new releases) makes total sense for me since I tend to play late at night anyway. Playing at 2am is perfect for me - I can get a good 4 hours in then. If it really wasn't until 5am, then, yeah, I probably wouldn't be playing until the next night anyway. It is a little better once we go off daylight savings time as reset is 1am then - can get a lot of gaming in after that!

This is what I've been wondering. I do have the tiv locked with Amazon, but who knows what they could say or even reject it just cause.
Yeah, but Amazon trade-in is always like that even with perfectly normal games. It's worth a shot I suppose.

bread's done
Back