Developer: Compile Heart/Idea Factory
Release: May 26, 2009
Trophies: Yes

Pre-order at:

Amazon - $46.99 + free shipping
GameStop - $49.99 + free shipping with coupon code: SAVER
NewEgg - $46.99 + free shipping
Rosenqueen - $49.99

Please note that Cross Edge will not be sent out from our warehouse until 5/28/09. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Item Includes:
Cross Edge (For this preorder we will be only carrying 1,000 units)

Cross Edge - RQ Exclusive Postcard (6) (These postcard images are from the photo gallery in the game, except for one. You will not be able to see this one image anywhere else.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='willardhaven']There is oil in them as well. Yeah, I realize it was a stupid thing to get worked up over. My apologies.[/QUOTE]

Apology accepted. I was just about to bludgeon you further about your rant. ;)

Back On Topic: The game looks awesome and I did get it pre-ordered but it will sadly be put aside for a little bit in favor of Infamous which looks amazing! I will try it out day 1 for sure though! :) Why the same day :( :bomb:

i said it on page 3 and i'll say it again. if they didn't re-engineer the game from the japanese version, which we all know didn't happen, this game will be horrible. This has come from my experience of the japanese version that i played a few months ago. Unless you're really obsessed with jrpgs and have been told you like really bad games, i would not suggest it. If not from me, just wait for the reviews. Famitsu itself trashed the game. Hell, i think the japanese psn has a demo of it. If you can't read japanese at least get a dose of the gameplay.

Lamest preorder bonus ever from NISA.

I'll just wait for the eventual price drop and then pick it up when this is a deal on top of the price drop.

I agree with many that I was expecting a better bonus from Rosenqueen. My Amazon preorder will remain. Postcards don't really make me jump up and down with joy. lol

Meh, NIS left a sore spot with their Ar Tonelico 2 fiasco that isn't going to be mended by a lackluster cross-over cash in (I played the Japanese demo, it was very underwhelming in every sense of the word).

However, I'm very much looking forward to their other titles coming out this year like Mana Khemia 2, Sakura Taisen V(always wanted to see what all the fuss was about these series) and to a lesser extent Last Rebellion.

We'll see if that apology they issued at the press event came from the heart or not based on the quality of those games.

Sort of OT, but I wish Rosenqueen would get on the stick with their online ordering system. I know they are working on it, but I've passed over so many of their offerrings just because they charge you immediately after ordering instead upon shipping like most every other mail business out there.

I don't think the translation will be as much of a problem with this game compared to AT2, but we'll see I guess...

hmm well after my gift certificate (the rewards from old purchases on the NISA store) and having found the option for media mail shipping it would only run me $39.87

compared to my $44.64 total from Amazon

so I'll probably switch my order

anyone confirm that Rosenqueen doesn't charge when you place the order anymore?

[quote name='buckythekat']anyone confirm that Rosenqueen doesn't charge when you place the order anymore?[/QUOTE]
They still charge as soon as you order.

[quote name='mythus']i said it on page 3 and i'll say it again. if they didn't re-engineer the game from the japanese version, which we all know didn't happen, this game will be horrible. This has come from my experience of the japanese version that i played a few months ago. Unless you're really obsessed with jrpgs and have been told you like really bad games, i would not suggest it. If not from me, just wait for the reviews. Famitsu itself trashed the game. Hell, i think the japanese psn has a demo of it. If you can't read japanese at least get a dose of the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I can only hope it's not as bad as you say. The truth is, though... I'm not much of a collector but this is still a game I'm willing to pay $50 for even if it's not great. I honestly don't think anyone pre-ordering this is genuinely expecting it to be awesome. There are two main reasons to buy this:
1) Inclusion of many characters rarely if ever seen in localized games
2) RPGs--especially JRPGS--on the PS3 are few and far between. Everyone is sick of action games and FPSs.

It may not be a $50 value for the game, but it's $50 worth of principle in my mind.

I do, however, hope that it's at least decent. I've loved just about every strategy RPG I've ever played, so I'm guessing I'll like it.

EDIT:
Also, not to beat a dead horse, but the difference in manufacturing cost to put this on a DVD instead of a Blu-ray is totally negated by the cost of a "special manufacture" (i.e. either a DVD manufacturer has to "set up" for a PS3 game or a BD PS3 game manufacturer has to "set up" for DVDs). Furthermore, the PSN download just doesn't work for the target audience. The fanboys buying this game will not be the ones browsing PSN daily, in all likelihood. They're the ones sticking to the brick-and-mortars much of the time and snatching up all possible pre-orders.

[quote name='Esoteria']
EDIT:
Also, not to beat a dead horse, but the difference in manufacturing cost to put this on a DVD instead of a Blu-ray is totally negated by the cost of a "special manufacture" (i.e. either a DVD manufacturer has to "set up" for a PS3 game or a BD PS3 game manufacturer has to "set up" for DVDs). Furthermore, the PSN download just doesn't work for the target audience. The fanboys buying this game will not be the ones browsing PSN daily, in all likelihood. They're the ones sticking to the brick-and-mortars much of the time and snatching up all possible pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

Since you spent the effort to type this, I'll let you know I would have conceded my argument after your post. I thought BRD took extra oil to make, so I was getting annoyed at the empty space. You're absolutely right about the manufacturering costs and the nerds needing a pretty game case. Hell, I plan to eventually import the British Quest for Booty just so I can have a pretty case (more wasted space).

[quote name='Slade']Meh, NIS left a sore spot with their Ar Tonelico 2 fiasco that isn't going to be mended by a lackluster cross-over cash in (I played the Japanese demo, it was very underwhelming in every sense of the word).

However, I'm very much looking forward to their other titles coming out this year like Mana Khemia 2, Sakura Taisen V(always wanted to see what all the fuss was about these series) and to a lesser extent Last Rebellion.

We'll see if that apology they issued at the press event came from the heart or not based on the quality of those games.[/QUOTE]

sakura taisen? nis is porting that game over?! that would be pretty awesome-the "fuss" as you put it with the sakura taisen franchise is that it has a full blown sim date engine (probably better than most sim date games during that time) along with a full scale srpg, focus on the strategy-and it also had pretty sweet graphic when the dc came out...not sure v captures the essence of the entire thing (and yes, the games did have segments where you can peep on the girls taking showers and stuff-I suppose that's where we get the "fuss")

Ugh... this game is worth $19.99, not $49.99. I'm sick of stupid fanboys supporting halfassery at full price. Anyone who buys this at the fifty-dollar price tag will be added to my shit list with the likes of Reggay Feels-Emup and Denise Kaigler.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Ugh... this game is worth $19.99, not $49.99. I'm sick of stupid fanboys supporting halfassery at full price. Anyone who buys this at the fifty-dollar price tag will be etc....[/QUOTE]

Since I haven't played the full game, I can't comment on its worth, but I always assumed that nowadays games have set the standard at $60.

[quote name='willardhaven']How big do you think the game file is?[/QUOTE]

Just want to add that the demo of the game was 1GB. I would assume the full game is signifcantly larger considering the extra scenes and dialogue.

[quote name='jererjerer']sakura taisen? nis is porting that game over?! that would be pretty awesome-the "fuss" as you put it with the sakura taisen franchise is that it has a full blown sim date ...[/QUOTE]

You had me at "sim date".

[quote name='mythus']i said it on page 3 and i'll say it again. if they didn't re-engineer the game from the japanese version, which we all know didn't happen, this game will be horrible. This has come from my experience of the japanese version that i played a few months ago. Unless you're really obsessed with jrpgs and have been told you like really bad games, i would not suggest it. If not from me, just wait for the reviews. Famitsu itself trashed the game. Hell, i think the japanese psn has a demo of it. If you can't read japanese at least get a dose of the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

This is likely the reason that I'll Gamefly it. I'd rather spend money on Infamous which by all accounts is said to be very, very well done. NIS has gotten really lazy lately and I don't have $50 dollars to waste.

Is this going to be the rarest PS3 game? NIS America's official store is only carrying 1,000 units; I doubt it will be sold at WM, Target, or BB; and I'm sure Gamestop/Game Crazy stores will only have in-stock about 1 copy above their pre-order totals.

I have seen NISA titles at Walmart... and they never sell. The target audience NISA is aiming for are the "low-budget JRPG fanatics". There are very few of these whackjobs in the United States, and for obvious reasons.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Is this going to be the rarest PS3 game? NIS America's official store is only carrying 1,000 units; I doubt it will be sold at WM, Target, or BB; and I'm sure Gamestop/Game Crazy stores will only have in-stock about 1 copy above their pre-order totals.[/QUOTE]

They only have 1000 poster boy sets, not games in general.

[quote name='Nintendonly']I have seen NISA titles at Walmart... and they never sell. The target audience NISA is aiming for are the "low-budget JRPG fanatics". There are very few of these whackjobs in the United States, and for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]

fuck you :bomb:

why are you even posting in this thread if you're not interested in the game? stop insulting everyone here and go do something better with your time like I dunno maybe play a game you do like?

Aww... did I strike a nerve? Does it really make you angry that you "have" to pay full price for a crappy game, rather than wait for it to drop in price like a normal person? I am going to buy this, but once it is at the reasonable price of $20.00 or less. Most of the people who have posted in this thread are also doing the same.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Ugh... this game is worth $19.99, not $49.99. I'm sick of stupid fanboys supporting halfassery at full price. Anyone who buys this at the fifty-dollar price tag will be added to my shit list with the likes of Reggay Feels-Emup and Denise Kaigler.[/QUOTE]

Troll harder.

[quote name='willardhaven']Since you spent the effort to type this, I'll let you know I would have conceded my argument after your post. I thought BRD took extra oil to make, so I was getting annoyed at the empty space. You're absolutely right about the manufacturering costs and the nerds needing a pretty game case. Hell, I plan to eventually import the British Quest for Booty just so I can have a pretty case (more wasted space).[/QUOTE]

There's no doubt that, at least at this juncture, BDs cost more to make, but the difference is so minimal per-disc that unless the game was $5 on BD (in which case it MIGHT be $4 on DVD) it's not really an important issue. And yes, the PS3 case shape implies BD. No one would like to see a DVD in a BD case (actually I'm sure there's box-shape-licensing issues disallowing this--not kidding), and a DVD-shaped PS3 game box would look downright strange. Plus, someone else just mentioned the demo was 1GB.

There's also the dual-layer DVD cost versus single-layer BD which surely reduces the gap even further. *shrug*

And people need to quit whining about the quality of the game. I'm happy to get ANYTHING that isn't another macho FPS.

EDIT:
Oh, and remember that oil (or any chemical for that matter) is not used for mass-produced optical discs. The "burning" process using dyes and whatnot is exclusive to writable media intended for personal or small-scale use. The vast majority of mass-produced optical discs use a stamped aluminum data layer, so there's no liquid going on there. The whole chemical reaction and dye thing is why "burned" discs don't always work, especially in older players--The reflective properties of each "spot" aren't as good on the dyed/burned disc as they are on a stamped aluminum sheet.
...Not that anyone would really be expected to know that off the top of their head.

EDIT 2:
You may remember back in the middle years of CD-Rs that "gold" writable CDs became popular. This was supposed to improve the reflectivity and life of the disc, but even at the tiny amount of gold needed per disc (no more than a few cents) it proved pretty worthless. I still have some of these. Indeed they don't work any better.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Aww... did I strike a nerve? Does it really make you angry that you "have" to pay full price for a crappy game, rather than wait for it to drop in price like a normal person? I am going to buy this, but once it is at the reasonable price of $20.00 or less. Most of the people who have posted in this thread are also doing the same.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a harsh thing to say. $20 or not, it's just your opinion. Hell, i wish it's $5 or better yet, just pay me to play it. Your post is asking for trouble, seriously. Most people are not buying at $50 for the poster cards.

[quote name='dallow']Very informative esoteria! :)
I read it all.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. o_O
I was about to up and delete most of it because it has increasingly little to do with this thread.

To try to get back on topic, why are people complaining so much about price vs quality here? Are there not half a dozen crappy games available for pre-order every month? At least this one, even if it is crappy, is unique in its content.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Aww... did I strike a nerve? Does it really make you angry that you "have" to pay full price for a crappy game, rather than wait for it to drop in price like a normal person? I am going to buy this, but once it is at the reasonable price of $20.00 or less. Most of the people who have posted in this thread are also doing the same.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you do that. Cause NISA titles always have lots of price drops and never go out of print and become rare. Oh wait...

[quote name='jacknicklson']They only have 1000 poster boy sets, not games in general.[/QUOTE]

Just as an update to this, I got a new email from NISA today advertising the Rosenqueen Cross Edge preorder, and at the end of it it said "(At this moment RosenQueen will be only carrying 1,000 units of the game.)"

hmm i stopped in gamestop today on my lunchbreak. to preorder cross edge glad i did. he said that they were only getting a limited amount he couldnt confirm how many but he said in between 10 to 15 copies and that when they sell out that more then likely they wont be restocking. most of the people that worked there perordered just to sell on ebay they said because its gonna be very rare. i guess it best to pick up while you can. this may be only be at this gamestop that they wont be restocking... anyone have a idea why cross edge isnt appearing on walmarts website ???

[quote name='rainking187']Just as an update to this, I got a new email from NISA today advertising the Rosenqueen Cross Edge preorder, and at the end of it it said "(At this moment RosenQueen will be only carrying 1,000 units of the game.)"[/QUOTE]

yea

and they only have 524 left as of right now

[quote name='officerrickyross222']hmm i stopped in gamestop today on my lunchbreak. to preorder cross edge glad i did. he said that they were only getting a limited amount he couldnt confirm how many but he said in between 10 to 15 copies and that when they sell out that more then likely they wont be restocking. most of the people that worked there perordered just to sell on ebay they said because its gonna be very rare. i guess it best to pick up while you can. this may be only be at this gamestop that they wont be restocking... anyone have a idea why cross edge isnt appearing on walmarts website ???[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart won't be stocking this game and neither will Target or Best Buy. Gamestop, Game Crazy, and Amazon will likely be the only places with it.

Kinda reminds me of the game Chaos Wars, wasn't this also a game which was sold in limited quantities? Now it's going for 5-25 dollars on Ebay.

[quote name='dallow']How can you tell current stock?[/QUOTE]

you put them in your shopping cart and try to check out, if it says not enough stock you'll know :)

[quote name='rainking187']Just as an update to this, I got a new email from NISA today advertising the Rosenqueen Cross Edge preorder, and at the end of it it said "(At this moment RosenQueen will be only carrying 1,000 units of the game.)"[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the correction, typically their wording has led to what I posted but their email that you quoted proved me wrong. Interesting...I still see this pulling a Chaos Wars(as someone mentioned) and being available down the line...hmmm

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wal-Mart won't be stocking this game and neither will Target or Best Buy. Gamestop, Game Crazy, and Amazon will likely be the only places with it.[/QUOTE]

yea i asked a friend who works there. he said they wont be. i suprisingly got a call from gamestop today stating that cross edge was delayed to the 27th ??? its only a day later but i wonder why.

[quote name='officerrickyross222']yea i asked a friend who works there. he said they wont be. i suprisingly got a call from gamestop today stating that cross edge was delayed to the 27th ??? its only a day later but i wonder why.[/QUOTE]

It is so full of awesome they had to reinforce the box to contain it all. Or it is so full of crap they had to reinforce the box to keep the stink from getting out. I hope it is the first one.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Thanks for the correction, typically their wording has led to what I posted but their email that you quoted proved me wrong. Interesting...I still see this pulling a Chaos Wars(as someone mentioned) and being available down the line...hmmm[/QUOTE]
Given the high amount of game cross-over characters, and a semi-dress-up system for the women, I doubt it. Better grab a copy while you can, you know how gamers are with crap like this.

I'll take my chances. Most NIS games have lately not been worth much even after they go out of production. I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass, but I rather get BlazBlue for now.

Does anyone else think NIS isn't trying as hard anymore? Makai Kingdom was good but short, Soul Nomad was extremely easy, Disgaea 3 added almost nothing to Disgaea 2, and Gust seems to crank out nearly identical games as fast as possible.

I'm going to have to pass on this game, and just hope I won't regret it one month from now.

[quote name='Shady3011']I'll take my chances. Most NIS games have lately not been worth much even after they go out of production. I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass, but I rather get BlazBlue for now.[/QUOTE]

Well Ar Tonelico 2 is one of their more recent titles, and it sells for a decent amount above retail. I can't really remember what the last title before that that went OOP. Hard to say really, the Ar Tonelico games are the only ones I can think of that sell significantly above retail, but this game has Ar Tonelico characters, so...I dunno.

[quote name='rainking187']Well Ar Tonelico 2 is one of their more recent titles, and it sells for a decent amount above retail. I can't really remember what the last title before that that went OOP. Hard to say really, the Ar Tonelico games are the only ones I can think of that sell significantly above retail, but this game has Ar Tonelico characters, so...I dunno.[/QUOTE]

Mana Khemia had a higher value for a short period of time. The scholarship box sets are still listed at around $140-160 but I don't know if people are biting.

Had it ordered from amazon once it popped up in my gold box, but I cancelled and went with the rosenqueen one instead. Even if the posters aren't much, I can always give them away as a cheap ass birthday gift

[quote name='ayuchan']Hm do you think I should sell my Mana Khemia scholarship box set now or should I rather wait?[/QUOTE]

:3 I'll buy it from you for exactly what you paid.

just picked mine up a a couple hours ago. my gs only had 4 copies and 2 were preordered . when i came to pick mine up there was my copy and 1 extra. so i decided to buy them both .he brings them out from the back 1was sealed other was gutted :bomb:. so as im paying a guy and his wife came in asking for cross edge. the manageer laughed and said you couple min late just sold last to him (points to me). the guys says i drove 2 hours around looking for this ill give you whatever you want he started at 100 $ b4 i could say anything he jumped to 150 i loled and instantly handed them gutted copy and recieved the 150 manager was yelling take that outside (the transaction for some reason the dont you buying things from people in store). so 1 sealed copy of cross = great 1 gutted copy sold for 150 triple its current value = priceless :cool:

bread's done
Back