Rumor: Black Friday PS3 Superslim bundle w/ 2 games $200 (Confirmed!)

Logical Dolphin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My local GameStop Manager informed me that (like last year) Sony will have a 2 game superslim PS3 bundle for $200 for Black Friday. He got this information from the Sony rep. No details on what the games are, or how big the hard drive is inside the PS3.

I was thinking that the PS3 Superslim in this bundle may very well be the 16GB Flash version, that was already cleared by the FCC...

UPDATE 10/26:
Just saw this today at my local Fry's store:

A new Sony produced 250GB PS3 superslim bundle containing 4 games (2 collections of 2 games):

The Infamous Collection (Infamous 1 & 2 and all DLC)
Uncharted 1 & 2 dual pack

The bundle (like the superslim Uncharted 3 bundle) sells for $270.

However, I believe this may very well be the Black Friday bundle, since Sony hasn't made an previous announcement about this bundle like they did for the superslim Uncharted 3 & Assassin's Creed 3 bundle. It fits the profile for a Black Friday bundle containing at least 2 games. Also Fry's tends to get the new Sony hardware SKUs much earlier than any other store...

Here is what it looks like:

7323584.big.jpg

According to the link below the price for this bundle is $223.99, close to $50 less than its original price.
http://www.antarespro.com/7250763-item-SONY-99034-711719990345.aspx

11/2/11

Ad confirmation from Shopko (thanks to ndheah):
NmbXA.jpg

11/5/11
Radio Shack ad has been leaked. Same PS3 BF bundle selling for $220.

http://bfads.net/Ad/RadioShack-2012

11/7/11
Sams Club is selling it for $250 (includes extra controller)
http://bfads.net/Ad/Sams-Club-2012/Page2

Best Buy lists the bundle for $200
http://blackfriday.com/stores/best-..._Nov07&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

11/8/11
Walmart lists this bundle at $199
http://blackfriday.com/stores/walmart/flyers/black-friday

11/9/11
Target: $199.99
http://bfads.net/Ad/Target-2012/Page2

11/10/11
Toys R US: $199.99 (includes PS3 Air-Flo controller)
http://bfads.net/Ad/Toys-R-Us-2012/Page8

11/13/11
Hastings: $199.99
http://bfads.net/Ad/Hastings-2012/Page2

Meijer: $199.99
http://bfads.net/Ad/Meijer-2012

Last edited by a moderator:
If they actually run them for $200, it might be time to get a backup. Then again, I read there were problems with the regular slim early on. I dunno.

[quote name='Viper187']If they actually run them for $200, it might be time to get a backup. Then again, I read there were problems with the regular slim early on. I dunno.[/QUOTE]

Uhh, problem with the slim is that a joke?
I have 2 launch slims and they are fine , i move them around alot Also

[quote name='Viper187']If they actually run them for $200, it might be time to get a backup. Then again, I read there were problems with the regular slim early on. I dunno.[/QUOTE]

I heard these newer slims are made more cheap plastic. I kind of like the slims vs these newer slims but u should look at it before purchase

I purchased a PS3 two years ago during the Walmart $100 gift card at time of purchase deal. I sold it 8 months later to a coworker for the same price I paid for it, because I never really played it. I have so much invested in my Xbox, and the PS3 currently only has 3 exclusive franchises (GoW, Uncharted, Infamous) that I care about. If this deal turns out to be true, it may be too good for me to pass up... Especially since it contains four exclusive games I want.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I mean, a Infamous game or an Uncharted game is like...the bottom of my want list (but that list is like 7 games or so). If this is all true of course and this is the best one to get, I don't know what I'll trade in or not.

I still have to be sure if I want to try to apply for the $50 PSN/free year too so there's still that (if I'm accepted of course and I figure out how the card works once I get the $50).

I guess this is the fun part right?

Ugh.. not sure if I should trade in my 80 gig ps3 fat to gamestop or not and wait for BF deals. I am as concerned with quality of the new ps3 super slim as I am my 80 gig getting ylod. I only paid $5 for the ps3 I have now and is very clean and works perfectly.

I know the gamestop hardware bonus ends tomorrow so I'll call them tomorrow first to see what the trade value is.

[quote name='The Punisher']I heard these newer slims are made more cheap plastic. I kind of like the slims vs these newer slims but u should look at it before purchase[/QUOTE]

I looked at one firsthand recently, and IMO it is much more sturdy than it looks in those picutres, especially the disc tray mechanism. The overall constructions seems to be just as sturdy as the previous PS3 Slim...

I looked at one too. IMO the slim is a great deal better than the super slim.
The super slim does indeed feel cheap. I'm sure it works just fine. But how cheap it feels just irks me.

One thing I like about the superslim versus the slim, is if something goes wrong with the BD drive it should be much cheaper to repair, since the mechanism is far less complicated than a slot loading system. Also it will be much easier to clean the lens if it gets dirty....

Anything that they can do to make these more reliable I'm all for. Even if it feels cheaper, it possibly and hopefully means they are using less parts and learning from past implementations and versions. My Playstation is rock solid still, the original and the mini.

[quote name='b3b0p']Anything that they can do to make these more reliable I'm all for. Even if it feels cheaper, it possibly and hopefully means they are using less parts and learning from past implementations and versions. My Playstation is rock solid still, the original and the mini.[/QUOTE]

Right. Let's just hope they're not cheaping out and setting us up for a fall. My fat PS3 has been running 24/7 for probably well over 3 years now. I wouldn't want a replacement to do anything less. I really should get a region free BD player at some point, and shutdown the PS3 until I actually want to game on it. I pretty much only play Xbox. The only PS3 titles I have are exclusives.

I always felt that as cheap as the new one feels/looks/sounds that starting it off at a high price was so they could drop it for the holiday and say a high dollar value off. Why else would they put that crap at the same high price?

[quote name='sevast']I always felt that as cheap as the new one feels/looks/sounds that starting it off at a high price was so they could drop it for the holiday and say a high dollar value off. Why else would they put that crap at the same high price?[/QUOTE]
they did that bc there were still plenty of 160gb slims and wanted those to sell out at the existing price without needing to drop it. Even if they launched the super-slim at $250, the BF is still a great value off at $199 with $50 off and and 2 extra games to boot

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but it appears the design of this thing is an abomination. Both the people who designed this and the executives who approved it seem to have phoned it in.

"I can't open your breadbox. Do you have any wheat or rye?"

"That's my PS3. The breadbox is over there."

The PS2 slim was fine. Why are so many newer products crappier than their predecessors? At least Microsoft saw the light and got rid of that tacky gloss finish on the 360 S.

My near-launch 60 GB PS3 with a 500 GB HDD is still going strong, but I'm tempted to pick this bundle up as a spare. My wife just bought a new 2012 Honda Odyssey and it has an electrical plug and HDMI input in the back along with a dual-width screen overhead. So I could probably take the super slim on road trips, which might be fun.

[quote name='Decker']My near-launch 60 GB PS3 with a 500 GB HDD is still going strong, but I'm tempted to pick this bundle up as a spare. My wife just bought a new 2012 Honda Odyssey and it has an electrical plug and HDMI input in the back along with a dual-width screen overhead. So I could probably take the super slim on road trips, which might be fun.[/QUOTE]

It's not a car stereo. Does the PS3 actually protect the disc in the drive from damage due to moving the console (.i.e bumps on the road)? Or do you only plan to play while stopped?

[quote name='gantt']
The PS2 slim was fine. Why are so many newer products crappier than their predecessors? At least Microsoft saw the light and got rid of that tacky gloss finish on the 360 S.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, buy they still have those stupid sensor buttons instead of classic mech ones.

Does this deal seem legit? How long would a person have to wait outside of Gamestop to get this bundle? Never been there on a black friday.

[quote name='Havok83']they did that bc there were still plenty of 160gb slims and wanted those to sell out at the existing price without needing to drop it. Even if they launched the super-slim at $250, the BF is still a great value off at $199 with $50 off and and 2 extra games to boot[/QUOTE]

This article suggests that there is no universal price cut on the PS3, because Sony is trying to maximize profits for the fiscal year.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-16-ps3-could-lose-more-market-share-without-price-cut

[quote name='bombfirst885']Does this deal seem legit? How long would a person have to wait outside of Gamestop to get this bundle? Never been there on a black friday.[/QUOTE]

If it is like last year, every major retailer will be carrying this bundle (including Radio Shack), so you will have more options than just GameStop...

[quote name='Decker']My near-launch 60 GB PS3 with a 500 GB HDD is still going strong, but I'm tempted to pick this bundle up as a spare. My wife just bought a new 2012 Honda Odyssey and it has an electrical plug and HDMI input in the back along with a dual-width screen overhead. So I could probably take the super slim on road trips, which might be fun.[/QUOTE]

that would kick some major butt, can i come with you?

[quote name='cagfansub']I was hoping they would throw in the Uncharted 3 GOTY package in there as well..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I actually need Uncharted 3. The other games are worthless to me. I already have the first 2 Uncharteds and no interest in Infamous. I don't care about the GOTY edition though, so it may still be better to get the cheapest bunlde and pickup U3 separate. I'm hoping Amazon runs a B2G1 though, so I end up with U3 for like $13. heheh

You'd think places like Amazon would offer a pretty big gift card with the regular slims at some point just to clear them out though. Make room for the super slims. Didn't they do $75 promos one year?

I'm thinking there might be a price reduction on the 320GB Slim, since it will sell for the same price as the 500GB AC3 superslim bundle.

Since the 160GB is $20 less than the 250GB UC3 superslim bundle, that is probably why that hasn't yet had a price reduction.

i'm thinking about either getting one of these, or a vita. can't make up my mind. maybe i'll get both :whistle2:o

my wife probably wouldn't be too happy about that though. 8-[

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']i'm thinking about either getting one of these, or a vita. can't make up my mind. maybe i'll get both :whistle2:o

my wife probably wouldn't be too happy about that though. 8-[[/QUOTE]

PS3 is better. Vita needs more improvements (namely more games)...

The Vita should have allowed us to use our own 64 GB micro SDXC cards instead of that propriety , SLOW 32 GB card that I had to pay over $45 for.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']
Since the 160GB is $20 less than the 250GB UC3 superslim bundle, that is probably why that hasn't yet had a price reduction.[/QUOTE]if you can find it. Its sold out in alot of places, which was the point. I dont see that getting an official price drop bc it doesnt need it

[quote name='dubleo']PS3 is better. Vita needs more improvements (namely more games)...

The Vita should have allowed us to use our own 64 GB micro SDXC cards instead of that propriety , SLOW 32 GB card that I had to pay over $45 for.[/QUOTE]

i already have a ps3, but it'd be nice to have an extra in case someone else is playing it and i want to play a game. but i could do that with a vita too. i guess i'll see what the prices and bonuses are going to be come black friday, then make my choice accordingly.

it wouldn't be a big deal if i didn't have a wii u pre-ordered since i burned all of my gs credit on that already.

[quote name='Havok83']if you can find it. Its sold out in alot of places, which was the point. I dont see that getting an official price drop bc it doesnt need it[/QUOTE]

I still see the 160GB model at a few places around me, but for $20 more you get ~90GB more HDD space, a $40 UC3 GOTY, $30 in Dust DLC, and a month of PS+; makes the superslim bundle a better deal IMO...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']This article suggests that there is no universal price cut on the PS3, because Sony is trying to maximize profits minimize losses for the fiscal year.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

Seriously, as a corporation they've been losing money for four years.

[quote name='Viper187']It's not a car stereo. Does the PS3 actually protect the disc in the drive from damage due to moving the console (.i.e bumps on the road)? Or do you only plan to play while stopped?

[/QUOTE]

It's a good question, but the double screen is designed to be used with an external DVD player or game console, according to the owner's manual. I would guess it worked okay. If not, at least the HDD should work, right? I've got a lot of digital content mostly thanks to PS Plus.

[quote name='gantt']Fixed.

Seriously, as a corporation they've been losing money for four years.[/QUOTE]

I meant the PlayStation division, that part is profitable, and apparently they are trying to maximize profits for the fiscal year...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I meant the PlayStation division, that part is profitable, and apparently they are trying to maximize profits for the fiscal year...[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. The Playstation part of the Consumer Products Division lost 45 million dollars in Q1 of this fiscal year and the Q2 results should be released within the next two weeks. They have had a few profitable quarters in the last few years but mostly not profitable ones.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/sony-q1-2012/

You're right, I had been thinking about how for the last few years that Sony was making a profit on the manufacture of the PS3, and that profit margin has probably increased with this new superslim model...

Good for them, they deserve to make a lot of money. I wish they brought the white superslim to the us and they would've gotten even more from me.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I read somewhere that the white superslim will be coming here eventually, just not right away...[/QUOTE]

i hope you're right. it looks way better than that george foreman grill.

[quote name='JaTaN']Probably posted here before, but PS3 super slim hammer test: [/QUOTE]

Interesting - although I spend the first minute or so thinking 'these boys have more money than sense', I have to confess it dis-proved my gut reaction that the new model was less sturdy. I've seen some other tests that say the slim is still slightly quieter (because you can't hear the disk spinning as close to the outer case), but if I am visited by the YLOD on Halloween I'd be ok with the new superslim (especially with my friends who own hammers)

I hope you are all looking forward to my new thread titled

"New release games $35 on Black Friday. Which ones? Well how should I know?!?"

Wow...add me to the list of people who are shocked at how sturdy the Super Slim's slide tray actually is. I really thought it was be cheaply made (based on appearance) and break easily via standard wear and tear.

Still have my original 60GB & a 160GB Slim. If either one ever crap out, I now wouldn't mind getting one of these.

Love how flinging a hammer at expensive tech instantly ends trolling. Either way, cant wait to get mine tomorrow or Wednesday (Whenever this damn storm passes)

i was putting those ps3s away at amazon yesterday, box is surprisingly small but did catch my attention, too bad i own all those games lol maybe for my brother...

Wonder if Gamestop would charge a refurb fee for a hammer tested console?

All joking aside I'm surprised at how sturdy the super slim is. I thought for sure that by the third drop it would be finished.

[quote name='JaTaN']Probably posted here before, but PS3 super slim hammer test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShaSi8HiCBg

[/QUOTE]

That was like SAW for electronics. Pieces of other electronics lying all over the floor, the 360 on the side being forced to watch... the guys foreign accent taking pleasure in the beatings... hilarious.

I was also pleasantly surprised how sturdy it is. Glad I actually got something from this "deal".

bread's done
Back