Save 26% off used games with free shipping at EBgames.com/GameStop.com

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The former Cheapy Awards Best Online Retailer champion, EBgames.com, looks to return to its glory days with the upgrade of of the combined EBgames.com/GameStop.com property. One of the many new features that has been added is the ability to use multiple coupons with certain promotions. This means a CAG favorite, 26% off used games with free shipping has now returned.

Use coupon codes CAG16, SAVER, and your Edge card to receive the discounts. Please note that you must purchase at least $25 worth of items to receive free shipping.

When EB Games was acquired by GameStop, the websites no longer listed if used games included the case and manual. This is perhaps CAGs most lamented post-merger change. Although the latest site update did not rectify this issue, it appears GameStop is well aware of the problem. I've been in touch with GameStop's Vice President, E-commerce & Direct Marketing, John Brittell, who explained:
“After the site re-launch, the used game contents guarantee is our top priority. We currently don't have a systematic way to separate the stock available for the stores from the stock available for GameStop.com. We are in the process of installing a new fulfillment system that will allow us to segregate the stock, but this will not be available until early next year. In the interim, we are exploring other creative options that will allow us to guarantee the contents of at least the top selling used SKUs and hope to have this in place later this summer.

Just wanted to let you know that we share the community's concern and this is our top priority. Thanks again for passing on the feedback.”
So, it appears things are looking up for the once-favorite CAG retailer. Hopefully this site upgrade will be the start of good things to come.

[quote name='Retroactive']Hi All,

I work at GameStop.com and wanted to clear up some of the confusion regarding the Edge Card use.

First off, for any not familiar, the Edge Card has two possible uses (three if you count using it to jimmy locks, but I know no one here is that cheap). ;)

1. Store Credit. If you trade in games at a store location you may decide to load up an Edge Card instead of redeem it for merchandise. If so, the Edge Card you will receive will not include an Edge Membership sticker (unless you are already a card carrying member). You can redeem the credit on GameStop.com on the final payment page of the check-out process. Just enter your Edge account number and PIN where the site prompts for a gift card number. Note: Having one of these Edge Cards does not qualify you for the used discount offer.

2. Edge Membership. You can get this a couple ways, but a common method is by purchasing a subscription to Game Informer in one of our stores. When you purchase a Game Informer subscription the sales associate will put a white or yellow sticker on the back of your Edge card. This sticker will contain a different account number than the "store credit" number, which is printed directly on the card. To activate your Edge discount, just enter the Edge Membership number into the Promotional Code box found on the shopping cart page. Note: This membership expires, so be sure to check the expiration date on the sticker to ensure your membership is still valid.

Okay, that's the stuff everybody already knows...here's the new stuff:

After entering an Edge membership number in the promotional box and checking out, the Edge Card number will be associated to your account profile, and yours alone. i.e. For obvious business reasons, if you share it with someone else, they won't be able to use it.

Once you've done this, you won't need to enter your Edge number again to receive a discount. The Edge discount offer will stay active in your shopping cart as long as you're logged in or your account is "cookied." There's no need to worry about removing it to see if another offer is better, as the Edge Member discount will stack with ANY offer. When you renew your Game Informer subscription the following year, just update the number in the "My Account" section of your profile.

Some folks have reported an issue activating Edge Membership stickers that have been "re-printed" by our store associates. We are looking into this and will correct it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. We will let everyone know as soon as the problem is corrected.

We will be turning on in-store pick-up on select pre-orders, soon after the dust settles from the new site launch. (Hopefully in a few days.)

Hope everyone is enjoying the new features -- thanks for all the feedback!

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Nice to see a representative actually coming here to respond to us, although, what you said isn't really describing my problem.

I purchased my Edge Card, from G.I. HQ (via the $2.00 promotional slip in all G.I. magazines), and although it works perfectly fine in any GameStop or EBGames, it's saying the number is invalid when trying to add it as my card on the website.

I had my friend try his, which he bought in an actual store, and his worked fine, so I don't see what the problem is with mine.

I e-mailed support as-well, and I did get a response, but it took almost 24 hours, and that is unacceptable. I know you are busy, and probably have thousands of e-mails to sort through, but as a customer, it doesn't make me want to really continue my business with your company, when I can't even get through to you guys to fix a simple problem.

Don't get me wrong, the service representative that I got was very courteous and nice about the problem, and very willing to help, but I already waited 24 hours, and since I had to send a reply with my account number to get it fixed, I'm most likely going to be waiting another 24 hours, just so I can buy one item - which by the time I get it, it'll probably be sold out, since Used merchandise doesn't tend to last long.

Hi Legend,

Sorry about the wait. That's frustrating. We usually pride ourselves on being able to respond to email within several hours. We have an extra high contact volume at the moment, so 24 hours will likely be our typical email response time for the next few days.

The problem is likely with our system and not your actual card number. As this may take a few days to fix, go ahead and place an order and privately send me your order number and Edge card number. I will make sure your discount is applied (and if the order ships before I get to it, I'll make sure you get a credit).

Thanks for your business and thanks your patience as we work the kinks out of the new system.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='R0wdi']Would this work with BarnesandNoble.com since they are in partnership with gamestop?

thanks[/QUOTE]
Hi Rowdi,

The Edge member discount and credits can only be redeemed at GameStop.com or EBgames.com (or their respective brick and mortar locations).

Best,
Retro

Yes, I purchased my card for 2bux threw the deal on here and it works fine in stores, but not on the website.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']I contacted them last night about it not accepting some cards, and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Did you, by chance, purchase your card for $2.00 with the deal on here? That's what I did, and it doesn't seem to be working, however, my friends, which was purchased in-store, works fine.

I'll let you know when I get an e-mail back form them, but if I don't get it soon, I'm just going to spam them with e-mails until they have to either reply, or block me.[/quote]

Could we get some kind of validation that you work at EBgames.com, Retro? Or maybe through a CAG moderator?

I could claim I'm a moderator for the internet if I wanted too...doesn't mean I am.

[quote name='Retroactive']Hi Legend,

Sorry about the wait. That's frustrating. We usually pride ourselves on being able to respond to email within several hours. We have an extra high contact volume at the moment, so 24 hours will likely be our typical email response time for the next few days.

The problem is likely with our system and not your actual card number. As this may take a few days to fix, go ahead and place an order and privately send me your order number and Edge card number. I will make sure your discount is applied (and if the order ships before I get to it, I'll make sure you get a credit).

Thanks for your business and thanks your patience as we work the kinks out of the new system.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate it (wow, I love using that word).

Also, it seems like the cards purchased through the $2 G.I. slip just aren't working, since we now have another confirmed person who got their card from the deal, and having it not work.

I'd really make sure you guys look into that as soon as possible, since I'm sure that could be a big problem for alot of people, although mainly CAG's, because we can't resist $2 Edge Cards. :lol:

[quote name='seif760']Yes, I purchased my card for 2bux threw the deal on here and it works fine in stores, but not on the website.[/QUOTE]
Looks like an official trend to me!

I will investigate tomorrow and get back to everyone with an estimate of when this will be corrected. Our intent is to allow online discounts for all Edge memberships. Sorry this isn't working for everyone yet.

Thanks for your patience,
Retro

Hey Retro - thanks for your attention.

A problem many of us have been having is the inability to get past step 2 of the checkout process. (Shipping address and shipping method)

The drop down menus are blank and when we add addresses, nothing is retained - any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='nikkai']Hey Retro - thanks for your attention.

A problem many of us have been having is the inability to get past step 2 of the checkout process. (Shipping address and shipping method)

The drop down menus are blank and when we add addresses, nothing is retained - any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Ah, yes. We outsmarted ourselves on that one. We installed a new in-line address validation system that calls out to a database of known addresses. Unfortunately it seems to have a mind of it's own. We plan to tame it eventually, but had to put it down earlier this afternoon. Did you attempt to place an order after, say 5:00pm CST today? If not, it should be fixed now. If so, I have another problem to fix tomorrow. ;)

Please let me know. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Best,
Retro

Nope - just checked - still the drop down menus are still there and can't add a new address to ship to or shipping method =)

[quote name='nikkai']Nope - just checked - still the drop down menus are still there and can't add a new address to ship to or shipping method =)[/QUOTE]
Ugh. Thanks for checking again. I will ensure the developers tackle this first thing tomorrow. I haven't been able to duplicate it myself, but I know several folks are experiencing it.

If you could send me your login email privately, that would help me to trap the error. (Obviously don't send me your password, just the log-in) ;)

Thanks Much,
Retro

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Nice to see a representative actually coming here to respond to us, although, what you said isn't really describing my problem.

I purchased my Edge Card, from G.I. HQ (via the $2.00 promotional slip in all G.I. magazines), and although it works perfectly fine in any GameStop or EBGames, it's saying the number is invalid when trying to add it as my card on the website.

I had my friend try his, which he bought in an actual store, and his worked fine, so I don't see what the problem is with mine.

I e-mailed support as-well, and I did get a response, but it took almost 24 hours, and that is unacceptable. I know you are busy, and probably have thousands of e-mails to sort through, but as a customer, it doesn't make me want to really continue my business with your company, when I can't even get through to you guys to fix a simple problem.

Don't get me wrong, the service representative that I got was very courteous and nice about the problem, and very willing to help, but I already waited 24 hours, and since I had to send a reply with my account number to get it fixed, I'm most likely going to be waiting another 24 hours, just so I can buy one item - which by the time I get it, it'll probably be sold out, since Used merchandise doesn't tend to last long.[/QUOTE]

Iv voted for ebgames for worst retailer both B&M and online for a few years running now but to be fair first off their trying hard by offering this to us, but second off 24 hours is pretty fast. I can only recall a few companies ever that have responded to me within 24 hours most are 2 or 3 days later.

[quote name='Retroactive']Hi Rowdi,

The Edge member discount and credits can only be redeemed at GameStop.com or EBgames.com (or their respective brick and mortar locations).

Best,
Retro[/quote]

thanks

[quote name='Retroactive']1. Store Credit. If you trade in games at a store location you may decide to load up an Edge Card instead of redeem it for merchandise. If so, the Edge Card you will receive will not include an Edge Membership sticker (unless you are already a card carrying member). You can redeem the credit on GameStop.com on the final payment page of the check-out process. Just enter your Edge account number and PIN where the site prompts for a gift card number. Note: Having one of these Edge Cards does not qualify you for the used discount offer.

2. Edge Membership. You can get this a couple ways, but a common method is by purchasing a subscription to Game Informer in one of our stores. When you purchase a Game Informer subscription the sales associate will put a white or yellow sticker on the back of your Edge card. This sticker will contain a different account number than the "store credit" number, which is printed directly on the card. To activate your Edge discount, just enter the Edge Membership number into the Promotional Code box found on the shopping cart page. Note: This membership expires, so be sure to check the expiration date on the sticker to ensure your membership is still valid.[/QUOTE]

My ($2) Edge card isn't taking on the site either, but presuming this problem is fixed, I'm a little confused by the above. I have an Edge card membership (that currently only works in store), but I also have credit on my card. In order to use the credit on my card for purchases, which number do I enter, and where? Will I also then get the Edge discount?

[quote name='crunchewy']My ($2) Edge card isn't taking on the site either, but presuming this problem is fixed, I'm a little confused by the above. I have an Edge card membership (that currently only works in store), but I also have credit on my card. In order to use the credit on my card for purchases, which number do I enter, and where? Will I also then get the Edge discount?[/QUOTE]
Hi Crunchewy,

To redeem Edge Card Store Credit, enter the account number that is printed directly on the card (not the number from the sticker). You will also need to enter the scratch-off PIN number. You should enter these numbers on final payment page of the check-out process, in the fields designated for gift cards or gift certificates.

The discount problem is unrelated to the store credit number, so until we get that corrected, you will not be able to receive the 10% Edge discount. We are still trying to determine the problem, as it is only affecting some cards.

Thanks,
Retro

[quote name='Retroactive']Hi All,

I work at GameStop.com and wanted to clear up some of the confusion regarding the Edge Card use.

[/QUOTE]

[size=+1]SHIT![/size] OUR DEFENSES HAVE BEEN BREACHED! FALL BACK TO SLICKDEALS!!!

jk, thanks for all your help here.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Nice to see a representative actually coming here to respond to us, although, what you said isn't really describing my problem.

[/quote]
I've got the same problem.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']I contacted them last night about it not accepting some cards, and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Did you, by chance, purchase your card for $2.00 with the deal on here? That's what I did, and it doesn't seem to be working, however, my friends, which was purchased in-store, works fine.

I'll let you know when I get an e-mail back form them, but if I don't get it soon, I'm just going to spam them with e-mails until they have to either reply, or block me.[/quote]

Yup, same for me too.

Edge Card Discount Update: $2 Edge Cards

We have identified the issue causing these to fail. The site should be patched with the correction by end of day tomorrow.

Thanks to all who brought this to my attention.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Retroactive']Edge Card Discount Update: $2 Edge Cards

We have identified the issue causing these to fail. The site should be patched with the correction by end of day tomorrow.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Haha, I feel so special now, for discovering and getting a glitch fixed.

I think I deserve a free game for that. :p

Just kidding (or maybe not, who knows), but once again, thank you for applying that bonus to my order, and for being so friendly and courteous and coming here just to help us all out, we all appreciate it.

- Rob

[quote name='Retroactive']Edge Card Discount Update: $2 Edge Cards

Best,
Retro[/QUOTE]
Retro, are you the guy who writes the copy for the blog and the weekly emails?

If not, can you punch him for me?

[quote name='radjago']Retro, are you the guy who writes the copy for the blog and the weekly emails?

If not, can you punch him for me?[/QUOTE]
Radjago,

Awwww, we love our editor.

That's not my role (I'm the janitor), but I will take credit (blame?) for writing the new site patch notes.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Retroactive']Radjago,

That's not my role (I'm the janitor), but I will take credit (blame?) for writing the new site patch notes.

Best,
Retro[/QUOTE]

Seriously, thank you very much. I havnt used this yet but see myself shopping with ebgames/gamestop alot now. Back in the day I shopped at EB games and NOWHERE else because of these codes. You guys reinstating it and taking care of this error for us means alot. I voted for you guys for best retailer the first year and the worst retailer both B&M and Online the two years following. Think you guys will have shot right back to best with this(assuming 90% of the games dont come in horrid condition).

Oh sonofabia.... the site doesn't let me function right - I help point out some errors being a good Samaritan and what does that net me?

Freaking game I wanted is sold out. fuck

Screw it - I'll just wait till Sigma goes greatest hits.

I didn't want to see Rachel's :bouncy::bouncy: anyway... *Sniff*

man, i'm pissed. if you're not in the mood for a stupid story of my trials and tribulations, just ignore the remainder of this post.

the last time i ordered from them was in 2003. then i read this post and tried to place an order this morning for ninja gaiden sigma. 35 is too much considering i already own NG and Black, but 26 seemed worth it to me. so i put in the first two codes, and everything's copacetic. i go to put in my edge card and find that all my necessary edge info has disappeared. i got the card about 3 weeks ago, and they put a piece of tape over the sticker to "protect" it. turns out the tape only accelerates the fading process. maybe the glue eats away at the ink or something, but, bottom line, i had no visible edge number, and, for some reason, the "account number" means nothing.

so i take my card to the 33rd St. store, and lunchbox tells me he can't do anything about printing me a replacement sticker, and i need to call the number on the card. i had my doubts about the validity of just about every word coming out of his mouth, but i gave the guy the benefit of the doubt since i needed to get back to the office. after work, i deposited my paycheck and decided to give the number on the card a ring. after much confusion about the surplus of new york locations, the girl on the line finds the right one, and tells me that they should have taken care of it for me. as i refer to the workers in my nearby store as a bunch of douchebags, i sense a moment of hesitation in her voice, but she tells me she'll see what she can do. she contacts the manager, who knows how things work apparently, then she gets on the line and tells me to just go in the store and ask for the manager and they'll take care of my problem in the store where i went in the first place. i get in there, ask around for the manager by name while employees look worried and confused, and finally find him. he sets me up in the downstairs with a not-so-busy cashier. he was a decent guy the manager, as was this cashier, so they earn no animosity from me. they get things running, but the printer takes about, no joke, 20 minutes to print out my 2-inch sticker. cool, everything's grand, well, except that i'm late for dinner with an old friend in from hawaii. when i get home, i'll order ninja gaiden sigma. the game's been in stores this long, so no worries, right?

wrong.
i get home, bring up the game, and, BAM, "Not for sale". for the love of christ, from this morning to this evening, all the copies of ninja gaiden sigma sold out? what in the hell is going on? i can't catch a god damned break here.

so much for 26% off. i should have just paid the 40 at best buy for a new copy. shaq you, GS.

I placed an order Tuesday morning with ebgames.com. All the discount codes went through fine, but my order is still pending.

How long does it take to get shipped out? I used free saver shipping.

[quote name='thakingrocka']man, i'm pissed. if you're not in the mood for a stupid story of my trials and tribulations, just ignore the remainder of this post.

the last time i ordered from them was in 2003. then i read this post and tried to place an order this morning for ninja gaiden sigma. 35 is too much considering i already own NG and Black, but 26 seemed worth it to me. so i put in the first two codes, and everything's copacetic. i go to put in my edge card and find that all my necessary edge info has disappeared. i got the card about 3 weeks ago, and they put a piece of tape over the sticker to "protect" it. turns out the tape only accelerates the fading process. maybe the glue eats away at the ink or something, but, bottom line, i had no visible edge number, and, for some reason, the "account number" means nothing.

so i take my card to the 33rd St. store, and lunchbox tells me he can't do anything about printing me a replacement sticker, and i need to call the number on the card. i had my doubts about the validity of just about every word coming out of his mouth, but i gave the guy the benefit of the doubt since i needed to get back to the office. after work, i deposited my paycheck and decided to give the number on the card a ring. after much confusion about the surplus of new york locations, the girl on the line finds the right one, and tells me that they should have taken care of it for me. as i refer to the workers in my nearby store as a bunch of douchebags, i sense a moment of hesitation in her voice, but she tells me she'll see what she can do. she contacts the manager, who knows how things work apparently, then she gets on the line and tells me to just go in the store and ask for the manager and they'll take care of my problem in the store where i went in the first place. i get in there, ask around for the manager by name while employees look worried and confused, and finally find him. he sets me up in the downstairs with a not-so-busy cashier. he was a decent guy the manager, as was this cashier, so they earn no animosity from me. they get things running, but the printer takes about, no joke, 20 minutes to print out my 2-inch sticker. cool, everything's grand, well, except that i'm late for dinner with an old friend in from hawaii. when i get home, i'll order ninja gaiden sigma. the game's been in stores this long, so no worries, right?

wrong.
i get home, bring up the game, and, BAM, "Not for sale". for the love of christ, from this morning to this evening, all the copies of ninja gaiden sigma sold out? what in the hell is going on? i can't catch a god damned break here.

so much for 26% off. i should have just paid the 40 at best buy for a new copy. shaq you, GS.[/QUOTE]

It does seem like they are running out of stock online really fast. I also cannot get the game I want online used even though its only a few months old.

I STILL cannot get past the step 2 in the checkout. I just bought the game on Ebay instead. EB lost business.

[quote name='breakin2']I STILL cannot get past the step 2 in the checkout. I just bought the game on Ebay instead. EB lost business.[/quote]

Can't get past step 2 either -- been trying on multiple machines for 3 days now. Sent an email to their customer service, who responded with:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

Thank you for your attention to detail. While we strive to be perfect
we sometimes fall short. We appreciate customers keeping us on our
toes. We have just launched our new site with all new customer features
and are still working out some of the bugs. I have submitted this error
to our website team and look to have it updated as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to respond to this
email.

Best Regards,
Valerie
Customer Service Agent

-- which is very nice and polite but kind of misses the point. (It's clearly relying on scripted bits -- noticing not being able to get past step 2 is not attention to detail!)

Not ready to write them off yet, but it's been pretty frustrating! Goodwill shields failing...

Best,
Retro[/QUOTE]

Your editor has some funny write ups. Was it the Mass Effect one that mentioned Urkel? That was so random, I loved it.

More importantly, it's good to see the site returning to it's former glory. Only one thing keeping me from returning though--disc only, scratched games. Since the merger, I've had a whopping one game come complete and it was covered in stickers. This is out of several orders.
A good chunk of my orders were returned in-store since they were in such awful shape.

pre-merger EBgames.com shipped complete games, you guys should go back to that system. Maybe take online trade-ins to boost the stock? 'cause it seems like "defective" titles shipped from the stores are refurbed then sold online at this point.

i tried getting bioshock and like 4 old xbox games used with all the promos and edge card and i had it at like 60 bucks. Sounds great right! but oh how wrong i was as soon as i try to edit the shipping adress,bam, server down! way to go GS/EB. hopefully they will get the servers up before the codes go dead. i really want bioshock for 33 bucks.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The codes will be always good, unless they discontinue them down the road (like AFF25). This isn't a limited time offer.[/quote]

awesome! thanks for letting me know about that. the AFF25 code was the one i though this was comparable to. i was getting bummed out. but you brightened my day!

Hi All,

Quick update from the GameStop.com Team:

Login and Shipping Address Failures: When we migrated the user accounts from the old site to the new site, the data was corrupted for some users. We have a fix identified and a patch should be deployed within the next several hours. The shipping drop-down problem is already pushing to the production environment and will likely be corrected by the time you read this.

Missing Order History: We are back-filling historical order status, by date. Order status for all open orders is now available, but it may be several weeks before your entire closed order history is loaded.

Inventory Status Discrepancies: For many products, the site was not reflecting the proper inventory availability status. This has been corrected. If you placed orders for in-stock products over the last several days, you may find upon checking order history that the product is actually back-ordered. The order history status is accurate. We will ship the back-ordered products as they become available.

Edge Card Discount ($2 Card Not Working): We have identified the problem and this will be corrected in a patch later this evening.

Thanks again for your patience and for bringing these issues to my attention.

Best,
Retro

im getting jipped somehow

Halo 3 used 49.99
Cag 16 code - 16 percent
SAVER code - Free shipping
Total = 41.99
Edge card - 38 cents.... What the hell ...

i call shenanigans
10 percent of 41 is like 4 dollars or something

not 38 cents...

[quote name='breakin2']I STILL cannot get past the step 2 in the checkout. I just bought the game on Ebay instead. EB lost business.[/quote]

Can't get past step 2 either -- been trying on multiple machines for 3 days now. Sent an email to their customer service, who responded with:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

Thank you for your attention to detail. While we strive to be perfect
we sometimes fall short. We appreciate customers keeping us on our
toes. We have just launched our new site with all new customer features
and are still working out some of the bugs. I have submitted this error
to our website team and look to have it updated as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to respond to this
email.

Best Regards,
Valerie
Customer Service Agent

-- which is very nice and polite but kind of misses the point. (It's clearly relying on scripted bits -- noticing not being able to get past step 2 is not attention to detail!)

Not ready to write them off yet, but it's been pretty frustrating! Goodwill shields failing...

Best,
Retro[/QUOTE]

Your editor has some funny write ups. Was it the Mass Effect one that mentioned Urkel? That was so random, I loved it.

More importantly, it's good to see the site returning to it's former glory. Only one thing keeping me from returning though--disc only, scratched games. Since the merger, I've had a whopping one game come complete and it was covered in stickers. This is out of several orders.
A good chunk of my orders were returned in-store since they were in such awful shape.

pre-merger EBgames.com shipped complete games, you guys should go back to that system. Maybe take online trade-ins to boost the stock? 'cause it seems like "defective" titles shipped from the stores are refurbed then sold online at this point.

bread's done
Back