Splinter Cell Conviction- Out now

[quote name='slickkill77']There's also the co-op campaign. I would rather have it that way. People complain if a campaign is too long for no reason yet if a campaign is short but good they complain as well. If the co-op campaign was just single player instead which would of turned the sp into a 10 hourish game would people be happy?

There's no reason to elongate a story for just for length. Plus most games these days don't have long single player campaigns as it is. MW2, ODST come to mind immediately.[/QUOTE]

That is true, by no means would I want a weak, but long storyline and it doesn't have to be Elder Scrolls long either. All I'm saying is that MW2 and ODST have great multiplayer, which is something Splinter Cell has always lacked.

The co-op campaign alone (which is short in itself), IMO, cannot make up for the super short single player and lacking multiplayer.

Games like MW2 can get away with a short campaign because people spend millions of hours on the multiplayer.

Where did this "5 hour campaign" business come from? I suspect anyone who finishes a Splinter Cell game that quickly played it on easy mode and went around playing it like a Call of Duty game, blasting everyone with a shotgun and grenades.

I'm going to be playing this shit on hard/realistic, taking down those bastards one by one in the dark. If this "mark and execute" thing makes it too easy, I simply won't use it.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa.... Did you ever play Chaos Theory or Pandora Tomorrow? The multiplayer in those games was great. No game will ever match what Chaos Theory had: A full fledge campaign, great co-op with its own story and the spies vs mercs multiplayer.

[quote name='slickkill77']WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa.... Did you ever play Chaos Theory or Pandora Tomorrow? The multiplayer in those games was great. No game will ever match what Chaos Theory had: A full fledge campaign, great co-op with its own story and the spies vs mercs multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I barely even know what to make of what you said. What is your point here?

Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow had longer campaigns then Conviction, and had co-op. Not having (good) multiplayer was not as big a deal because it had a longer storyline experience.

Here, it is just a five or so hour single player and five or so hour co-op game, with weak multiplayer.

They're also two different types of games. And their multiplayer modes have different focuses. Competitive and Fast Paced Vs. Methodical and Cooperative.

[quote name='moojuice']They're also two different types of games. And their multiplayer modes have different focuses. Competitive and Fast Paced Vs. Methodical and Cooperative.[/QUOTE]

True.

Perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit, because I have not played it. My whole thing was just that the single player campaign was short, but I do see that Conviction has a good amount of other modes that could occupy time.

I'm reading that there is basically no real multiplayer. There is only one competitive multiplayer mode, and in that mode you (a spy) go up against a bunch of CPU enemies and another spy, trying to kill each other. That's it. Other then that, co-op/single player.

I was responding to this

That is true, by no means would I want a weak, but long storyline and it doesn't have to be Elder Scrolls long either. All I'm saying is that MW2 and ODST have great multiplayer, which is something Splinter Cell has always lacked.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']:lol: I barely even know what to make of what you said. What is your point here?

Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow had longer campaigns then Conviction, and had co-op. Not having (good) multiplayer was not as big a deal because it had a longer storyline experience.

Here, it is just a five or so hour single player and five or so hour co-op game, with weak multiplayer.

Picked up my CE copy a little while ago, I knew about the price drop, but for some reason it either scanned at the standard edition price or the lady at BB made a mistake, it rang up for $59.99.

Does anyone know if the content on the flash drive is readable only on the 360? I know that alot were defective but when i plug it into my macbook it comes up as DISK_IMG 0 items, 533.7 MB available. On my work PC it comes up removable disk with 508 MB free 509 MB capacity.

Good to see they fixed the freezing. I was like...ok WTF? I brought the game back to blockbuster and the manager was like "Your the first one to play it!" I even took apart the 360 and reflowed the solder and put new artic compound in it. Next time I won't be so damn eager to play it more and look on the net first.

It's great so far. I like it a lot. But I would def rent first then a buy at around 40 ish or so.

If you got the Ubi email just now, looks like there is a LOT of post launch dlc support coming. New skins, multiplayer maps, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if a new multiplayer mode came down the pipe if enough people want it.

Here's the email:
scc.jpg

PS-don't forget your text-message extra weapon (I forgot, lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dinovelvet']Where did this "5 hour campaign" business come from?[/QUOTE]

IGN.

I'm going to be playing this shit on hard/realistic.
I've played a few levels on realistic and it still isn't necessarily difficult. But it may come down to being a purist. The game lets you unload with your weapons without too much penalty (its harder, but not impossible to win a gun fight) or more elegantly try to stealth your way through a mission. If you want to be a stealth-master-ninja then realistic will give a decent challenge.

I have been taking the game as things naturally unfold, and have had to get in a few gunfights which are a challenge in their own right... plus it lets you use the "last seen/location" mechanic which can lead to some real good set-traps.

Either way, game has been damn fun so far and the presentation is real nice.

[quote name='aic007']tiger,

where do you text to get the extra weapon? never saw any mention of this.

thanks[/QUOTE]

I mentioned it in post #120 last month, but basically if you text the word WEAPON to 44144 you'll get a code for an exclusive in-game weapon. I don't know if the offer is still good, but try it.

Just looking for some co op buddies for SC:C. My gamertag is AlcoholicZombie. Throw me a msg and lets team up! This is for anyone else that wants to team up for SC:C. :^]

I "rented" it from Fry's until my copy arrives. I need to practice a bit, but it's pretty enjoyable. Did co op with my friend a bit before work. Will be playing it when I get home.

I got an SC3000 from the texting code. I was hoping for something better -.-

You can also get the MP7 from Exclusives or something, just hit A to unlock it.

Very fun game overall :D The VR ZVEZDA skin on UPlay isn't worth it btw, just get something else if you even considered it. It's like wearing damned pajamas.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I "rented" it from Fry's until my copy arrives. I need to practice a bit, but it's pretty enjoyable. Did co op with my friend a bit before work. Will be playing it when I get home.[/QUOTE]

Sneaky. I wonder how you "rented" from Fry's when you have to open the package? Unless you have a repackager.:whistle2:#

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Sneaky. I wonder how you "rented" from Fry's when you have to open the package? Unless you have a repackager.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

When my sealed copy arrives I return it to Fry's and get my money back. xD

I just spent 2 hrs with this and didn't notice the time pass. I'm pretty amazed with the fluidity of Sam. Funny how they call him a panther. So true. My only gripe so far is that there are a lot of guys in each level. I'm used to past SCs where you knock one or two guys out and move on to your objective, but I had one level where multiple bodies starting piling up and I was feeling bad about executing so many people. And I definitely get the feeling that I'm "doing it wrong" on certain parts.

To the people that aren't feeling it so far, all I can say is, give it some time. I was having it rough on the first two levels and actually restarted certain checkpoints to try things differently just to see how freeform it can be and by the third level I was breezing through spaces, silently taking guys out and mark and executing like a mofo. Its a new game with new mechanics that has a definite learning curve.

[quote name='carbontiger']Its a new game with new mechanics that has a definite learning curve.[/QUOTE]

My problem is I'm still stuck on thinking it's RSV controls. The cover system is very different. I keep hitting x thinking it's reload and then when I actually want to throw a nad, I forget what button it is. It's also not helping me be very stealthy too... In about 40min. after works over that will chang though.

I made it to the 5th mission and so far I'm really enjoying the game.

I absolutely love the presentation. The cover system works very well for this kind of game. I would also say the AI is fantastic. It's not punitive and allows you to "game" the enemies in fun ways.

[quote name='dizee']ai on this game is retarded, worst ive seen in a game.[/QUOTE]

totally agreed , I am in the process of returning it to amazon but there custome support wont reply back :(

[quote name='VipFREAK']My problem is I'm still stuck on thinking it's RSV controls. The cover system is very different. I keep hitting x thinking it's reload and then when I actually want to throw a nad, I forget what button it is. It's also not helping me be very stealthy too... In about 40min. after works over that will chang though.[/QUOTE]

I can see that being a problem. Personally, I'm trying not to kill everyone and have yet to use a grenade so I haven't had that issue. The Cover mechanic w/ the left trigger is pure RSV. The game's creative director worked on those titles so it comes as no surprise that the cover and pec systems are the same. Although, I don't see the point in the achievements within the game. Its kind of stupid to do things to earn points to upgrade weapons. We don't need the this rpg system in every fuckin game. Between xbox achievements, uplay achievements and in-game achievements, its a bit much.

[quote name='carbontiger']Between xbox achievements, uplay achievements and in-game achievements, its a bit much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... they set it up like Bad Company 2 and I'm not digging that at all... ugh. I just want to be able to use different (and a lot) of guns to kill enemies. That's why I love RSV and it doesn't get really old.

Just beat the game on Realistic and didn't get the achievement. Went to the mission select screen and it shows that all were beaten on Realistic (the three red dot logo). I'm hoping to just be able to fly through the last level again and get it.

I didn't really like the game as much as I thought I would. It seems like a lot of the stealth was taken out and it was a bit more third person shooter to me. However there were some awesome moments in the game when I was pulling of executions and drop kills so that was fun. I'm glad I got this for 37 bucks, and that's the price I'd recommend it for.

I'm really hoping the co-op is good, so if anyone wants to try that tonight let me know.

Sure, I'd like to. But I must warn you...I suck at stealth so I may die a few times. >_> I do use items and stuff, though.

Also up for this (Adding both of you, I guess)

Played two levels of the Coop story, and a few levels of the campaign so far. It can actually be pretty hard/rough, but it's fun. I kept accidentally sliding into/falling ontop of my teammate lastnight, knocking both of us down. The best part was when I took cover behind a bar, then slid back over the counter (didn't see my teammate on the other side) and I slide-kicked him in the chest on my way back over, lol.

Hmm, the objective of stealth with an alcoholic zombie...

Ive beaten the damn thing twice already, once on normal, once on realistic. I loved single player, but its so freakin short. I try not to complain and I know this is habitual this generation w/ games being short, but this one is a bit ridiculous.

At least theres more to do, but the length is really a detriment to those who play just for the single player story. Ah well, Im already lookin forward to more Sam Fisher. My favorite VG character ever.

People who have already beat the game on realistic: Are you guys killing everything in sight, or are you actually playing stealthily?

I ask this because for me, playing on realistic, I am trying to kill as little as possible/not get detected/generally be all around sneaky. The first "real" mission (after the tutorials) alone took me about 45 minutes to complete without getting detected/killing only the ones you have to kill (
I actually managed to get to the target by disposing only one guard in the last room, but then the game told me I had to kill everyone else first
). The second wasn't too bad up until the
airfield, which was a bitch to get around undetected
, which also took about 45 minutes to an hour to complete. I'm only a bit into the third mission, but so far it's a breeze only because
You're supposed to shoot the crap out of everything

[quote name='moojuice']People who have already beat the game on realistic: Are you guys killing everything in sight, or are you actually playing stealthily?

I ask this because for me, playing on realistic, I am trying to kill as little as possible/not get detected/generally be all around sneaky. The first "real" mission (after the tutorials) alone took me about 45 minutes to complete without getting detected/killing only the ones you have to kill (
I actually managed to get to the target by disposing only one guard in the last room, but then the game told me I had to kill everyone else first
). The second wasn't too bad up until the
airfield, which was a bitch to get around undetected
, which also took about 45 minutes to an hour to complete. I'm only a bit into the third mission, but so far it's a breeze only because
You're supposed to shoot the crap out of everything
.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, Alan. Gary and I played the online co-op for awhile last night, and we kinda just went through shooting out lights, confusing our enemies and then killing them in all kinds of fun ways. And for the sake of online co-op, it's probably the "easiest" way to play the game.

But given the amount of enemies, their patterns, and the various security measures, if we actually tried to be stealthy and remain undetected, each mission would probably take forever. I can't even imagine the amount of strategy and coordination it would require. I think the general problem is that many gamers really don't have the attention span for these kinds of games. Oh, and also "shooting is fun!".

Hm, I wonder how big of a difference the playstyle affects gametime then. Now that you mention it, I haven't shot out a single light yet either, nor have I thrown a gadget. There's one part where the game tells you to shoot out a light to sneak around, but I just took a different route and avoided shooting the light all together.

Shooting is fun yeah, but it feels weird even equipping a gun in an SC game.

Soo.... Question. Since I can't patch (since the warning that was posted about freezing) how do I enter the code to get the weapon?

As for the game, it's been interesting. I've had to get used to a couple of things. The part that really screws me over is when I stop switching from normal view to thermo view. I'll get up to an area that's a lot more lighted than I thought forget about it and start taking people out and die because they can plainly see me. The switching back and forth between views is a pain though especially because of what button they use vs the bump in RSV.

I'll add you guys, too. I can be online at like 6pm through 9PM EST (Eastern Standard time.)

I played alot of single player and hunter but I haven't tried coop yet, though. Should be easier with another player.

The patch doesn't cause freezing anymore, I updated last night without any issues.

moojuice-
Congrates on the airfield with stealth, that seems damn hard... did you go through the hanger at first?
The game's idea of stealth still seems to leave quite a bodycount. It would almost seem more painful then challenging to go without killing in certain situations since the design is that way.

Put me down. I will probably be diving into coop in about a week or so (after I finish single player).

Gamertag: graln1K

this is a good idea instead of teaming up with some random jabba wok. if anyone wants to be my buddy and play some MP hit me up as well.

so i just beat the mission
Diwaynia,Iraq and i really enjoyed the flashback
. so far im really enjoying it and it is pretty difficult even on normal. those baddies love tossing grenades perfectly at your feet. it feels so good when you pull off a string of sweet moves. im enjoying the weapon upgrades. i also like how there giving a few freebies every thursday for a few weeks to, good stuff. by the way on the collectors edition, i got a bum usb stick or else i have no idea how to access it. and no comic book either.

so i just beat the mission [S]Diwaynia,Iraq and i really enjoyed the flashback. [/S]so far im really enjoying it and it is pretty difficult even on normal. those baddies love tossing grenades perfectly at your feet. it feels so good when you pull off a string of sweet moves. im enjoying the weapon upgrades. i also like how there giving a few freebies every thursday for a few weeks to, good stuff. by the way on the collectors edition, i got a bum usb stick or else i have no idea how to access it. and no comic book either.

Thread got merged, ugh :(

Added the wrong Amari -.- added Tamirat on 360 :p

Need someone else to play SCC with. The one guy I'm playing with since I got it is from GameFaqs, and he talks too much. It'd also be nice to knock out the Face Off achievements since I've heard that most people (larf) quit before the round's over (and you have to win 3 rounds to get credit, 3 rounds = 1 game).

[quote name='sublime90']this is a good idea instead of teaming up with some random jabba wok. if anyone wants to be my buddy and play some MP hit me up as well.

so i just beat the mission
Diwaynia,Iraq and i really enjoyed the flashback
. so far im really enjoying it and it is pretty difficult even on normal. those baddies love tossing grenades perfectly at your feet. it feels so good when you pull off a string of sweet moves. im enjoying the weapon upgrades. i also like how there giving a few freebies every thursday for a few weeks to, good stuff. by the way on the collectors edition, i got a bum usb stick or else i have no idea how to access it. and no comic book either.[/QUOTE]

Comic book was on the USB drive, and all of the CE content (not including unlocks) will be available on www.splintercell.com ... That sucks :(

bread's done
Back