Stranglehold - Gen. Discussion & Info

Game scheduled out 9/5 for XBOX360 PC/PS3 still a little bit later:
Stranglehold has officially gone gold. The game has gone off to the printers, as it were, and will be making its debut on Xbox 360 on September 5th. By the way, if you absolutely can't wait to get your Stranglehold on, the 360 is your only shot, as the PC version ships on September 18th and the PS3 in "October."
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/08/31/stranglehold-is-gold-were-told/

Also, Stranglehold will be on sale at Circuit City next week for $47.99...There was also a $10 off coupon that came with the DVD movie of Hardboiled which would drop it to $37.99, if anyone has that coupon, please scan it and spread the love.

Must resist urge to impulse buy. If the PS3 version ends up being better, I'll kick myself. I've barely scratched Bioshock, so I guess it's worth the wait.

[quote name='getmyrunon']impulse buy.[/quote]impulse buying sucks... I've been doing it more than I'd like to admit lately. I got this online for $49 shipped. oh well.

[quote name='shnizzle66']Any coupons to circuit shitty for it?
i need to kill this gift card...[/quote]
There was a $10 off code with the purchase of Hard Boiled DVD...I know some CAG's got in on it, just waiting for someone to scan a copy of the coupon.

probably going to be a week 1 purchase for me...there is a cag that sells games on ebay brand new for about $39 shipped, so I will probably get it from him. Haven't had any problems with 5 games I have purchased from him in the past.

[quote name='Corvin']

- voiceovers. I haven't read the thread, but from the last post, looks like I'm not the only one. An entire Asian cast voiced by white guys... ugh.[/QUOTE]

This for me is actually a good point. If you've seen Hard Boiled, The Killer, any of Woo's Hong Kong work, the voiceovers are all *bad*, entire Asian Cast of White Guys. They're so bad, they're funny.

Having bad voiceovers in the game just completes the package, and makes it feel like one of those movies.

Probably Not the right thread to put this in but...

Is the PS3 version looking better? Ill skip on the achievements and more people to play with online for Hard Boiled BR and the collector's edition (plus the thingie from gamestop...speaking of which, whos giving what for preorders on this?). And any deals for the PS3 version or...?

[quote name='shnizzle66']Probably Not the right thread to put this in but...

Is the PS3 version looking better? Ill skip on the achievements and more people to play with online for Hard Boiled BR and the collector's edition (plus the thingie from gamestop...speaking of which, whos giving what for preorders on this?). And any deals for the PS3 version or...?[/quote]

No clue, guess you'll have to wait till the PS3 reviews...the one good thing about the PS3 is that if you get the collectors edition, you get the Hardboiled Blu-Ray movie in the same disc.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']No clue, guess you'll have to wait till the PS3 reviews...the one good thing about the PS3 is that if you get the collectors edition, you get the Hardboiled Blu-Ray movie in the same disc.[/quote]

so anyone know if Hardboiled is actually a high-def version and not just the DVD version put on a Blu-Ray disc with the game (since the game is on a blu-ray disc). I don't see any listing of a blu-ray Hardboiled on its own, so I was begining to think this is just the regular DVD version.

[quote name='tenzor']so anyone know if Hardboiled is actually a high-def version and not just the DVD version put on a Blu-Ray disc with the game (since the game is on a blu-ray disc). I don't see any listing of a blu-ray Hardboiled on its own, so I was begining to think this is just the regular DVD version.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read it is in HD, however the disc is not formatted like a BR (i.e. you launch it from a browser inside the game, thus requiring a PS3 and not any old BR player).

Only 6-8 hours?

First Heavenly Sword now this...hmm...but the plus about Stranglehold is that it never feels the same ,at least it didn't during the demo...

Stranglehold is out at Best Buy right now.. check online and check in store pickup.. a lot of stores have it on the shelves.

[quote name='Scorch']Stranglehold is out at Best Buy right now.. check online and check in store pickup.. a lot of stores have it on the shelves.[/QUOTE]

Damn.. I want to pick it up badly. Evil. My store has it too.

Yeah I found a copy today, when I went in for Stuntman. Used the 10% coupon. I didnt know until I looked on the back, that it has DLC and online mutli-player

[quote name='Logain8955']This for me is actually a good point. If you've seen Hard Boiled, The Killer, any of Woo's Hong Kong work, the voiceovers are all *bad*, entire Asian Cast of White Guys. They're so bad, they're funny.

Having bad voiceovers in the game just completes the package, and makes it feel like one of those movies.[/QUOTE]

Not for me. I've always watched my asian cinema with subtitles. And it pisses me off that it's not even an option.

I want to know this too. Worse comes to worse, I could buy it today and return the one I buy wednesday after price matching. I am sure you could just get it PMed later though.

Well, my local store didn't have it, but another Best Buy 20min away has it...I'll just wait...Like I have the time to play it now anyways...baby taking too much of my free time :D

I got it at my local store. I read there price guarantee policy so it should work on Wednesday to get it for CC's price plus an additional 10% off.

[quote name='DomLando']I got it at my local store. I read there price guarantee policy so it should work on Wednesday to get it for CC's price plus an additional 10% off.[/quote]

I am going to fight for my $4.79 come Sunday morning. I can't wait. Anyone beat it, how are the nerd points on this game?

damn I have to check my local BestBuys tomorrow to see if they have it in stock. Did you guys do the in store pick up online or did you just walk in and it was on the shelves? Or did you actually have to ask them to grab it from the back.

[quote name='tenzor']damn I have to check my local BestBuys tomorrow to see if they have it in stock. Did you guys do the in store pick up online or did you just walk in and it was on the shelves? Or did you actually have to ask them to grab it from the back.[/QUOTE]
It was out on the shelves at my BB.

Purchased at 11am Sunday morning at BB in Austin, TX with the CC ad in hand for the PM. The CC where I got the ad had none.

I still haven't opened the game. I am wondering how you all like it. I really liked the demo. I don't know why I haven't ripped this open and started playing it. I don't mind if the game is short, since these days I don't have much time to spare. I should just open it and take out some thugs this holiday weekend.

[quote name='Kendal']I still haven't opened the game. I am wondering how you all like it. I really liked the demo. I don't know why I haven't ripped this open and started playing it. I don't mind if the game is short, since these days I don't have much time to spare. I should just open it and take out some thugs this holiday weekend.[/quote]
It is very entertaining run-and-gun. If you like the Max Payne style slow-motion then this game is that on crack cocaine. I find that the second run through an area is more dramatic as I know which barrels to blow up, which rails to slide/climb, and which enemies to single out.

For as involved as Bioshock was for level depth and exploration this game is on the mindless kill-em-all angle. Opposite end of the gaming spectrum, but still a welcome distraction until the 25th.

I geuss I should man up and open the game. I might even make it into the 7000 gamerscore before I go back to school on tuesday.

Couldn't find it anywhere...

I'll definitely be pricematching it somewhere, so I Circuit City doesn't get my money.

I just picked up mine, playing through the demo level now. :D

I liked the Midway trailer movie theater, that Wheelman trailer was cool.

If it's not on the shelf at BB....ask. They might still have it. Naperville, IL Best Buy had them in the back and was nice enough to get me a copy

Man, this game gets bloody hard quick. The second level is badass, but has been murdering me on Hard mode. It's a lot tougher than the demo. Loving the game.

This game is a blast.

I had to get it at CC. The first BB was out, the second claimed the game wasn't released yet and I just knew the media moron manager would have pointed to the fact that the game NEXT to Stranglehold in the ad said Wednesday and would have claimed that applied to Stranglehold too.

Fortunately, the CC gave me some dang good customer service once I bitched that there was nobody working media.

Ok, so I have a few questions. Does the health refill count as a tequilla bomb move and do I have to turn off Tequilla auto on to off to get the Old School Achievement? Thanks for the help.

I think anything activated with the D-pad is a Tequila bomb. Tequila time doesn't count. Old-school I think is just channeling Max Payne, as in you get the slow-mo, but no Tequila Bombs.

[quote name='Kendal']Ok, so I have a few questions. Does the health refill count as a tequilla bomb move and do I have to turn off Tequilla auto on to off to get the Old School Achievement? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

To get the old school achievement just don't use the d-pad or the left trigger during a level.

[quote name='CAG 79']To get the old school achievement just don't use the d-pad or the left trigger during a level.[/QUOTE]

I used Tequila Time and got the achievement.

bread's done
Back