The myth of "Islamophobia" in America

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']white privilege is acting like a little bitch because you don't get the type of recognition you deserve for being "one of the most prominent anti-racist writers" in the country.[/QUOTE]
LOLZ...What the fuck are you talking about?

edit: In case you didn't know, he Does get recognition for being one of the most prominent and popular speakers on anti-racism. The fact that he's white is another issue. Not sure what your point is.

[quote name='dohdough']LOLZ...What the fuck are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

shiz, I deleted that comment. move along please.

:rofl:

I largely agree with what Tim Wise has to say, but his style of writing is *precisely* the kind of looking-down-your-nose elitism that turns people off to the kinds of things he's trying to convey, leaving only smugly-self-assured liberals reading his essays. His acerbic writing style does him no favors and alienates people from challenging themselves by considering controversial ideals.

I really did enjoy his essay on how the film "Crash" perpetuates racism as perceived from a white perspective, however.

And yes, yes, yes, I realize this is *me* saying this, and I'm kind of less-than-polite (to put it lightly). But this is a video game forum. I'm not collecting my diatribes here for publication in books for sale, and it's intended for a small group of the 15-20 people who read this stuff. I think there's a big difference between who I discuss politics w/ and Tim Wise's intended audience - and in his case, he needs to tone the no-shit-we're-all-racist snottiness down a notch.

I don't think he needs to turn anything down a notch. People of color have been saying the same things with the same tone for years.

The onus isn't on him to turn down his anti-racism; it's on the people perpetuating it. And lets be honest, every point he makes on that response to the Presidential elections is right on point. The truth is unpleasant sometimes.

Also, I believe that I'm the rudest person on this sub-forum thankyouverymuch. :D

edit: His talks are a lot less "confrontational." Not to mention that a lot of people consider him a hack because his work isn't academically rigorous as well as being a whitey.

edit2: Michael Eric Dyson is better at this stuff than Wise, but I think that Dyson is obviously for people with more knowledge on the subject though.

[quote name='dohdough']I don't think he needs to turn anything down a notch. People of color have been saying the same things with the same tone for years.

The onus isn't on him to turn down his anti-racism; it's on the people perpetuating it. And lets be honest, every point he makes on that response to the Presidential elections is right on point. The truth is unpleasant sometimes.

Also, I believe that I'm the rudest person on this sub-forum thankyouverymuch. :D[/QUOTE]

he needs to tone it down because nobody (except for those that agree) is listening. If his purpose is only to vent, then he's doing just fine. If he truly wants to enact change, he needs to try a different approach.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']he needs to tone it down because nobody (except for those that agree) is listening. If his purpose is only to vent, then he's doing just fine. If he truly wants to enact change, he needs to try a different approach.[/QUOTE]
His entire body of work consists of more than just one op-ed made during allegations of ineligibility and consorting with known terrorists while being a kenyan muslim athiest usurper...that also happens to be arab.

Wise is anti-racism lite. Pun intended.

[quote name='mykevermin']I really did enjoy his essay on how the film "Crash" perpetuates racism as perceived from a white perspective, however.[/QUOTE]

My college wanted to have a dialogue on race, which involved showing the movie 'Crash' and discussing it with the residents. I never saw how that movie could begin any dialogue about race relations in america.

[quote name='dohdough']http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/this-your-nation-white-privilege-updated[/QUOTE]
I actually saw Wise speak once early last year. I didn't disagree with anyhting he said, but I have to admit that having an admittedly middle class white guy talk about the struggles of minorities a little...hollow maybe? Not that he isn't being genuine, but for example I saw Michael Eric Dyson speak not long after that, and it had a much bigger impact coming from someone who had lived it vs. someone who has studied it.

Not that this has anyhting to do with anything here.:lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:

I largely agree with what Tim Wise has to say, but his style of writing is *precisely* the kind of looking-down-your-nose elitism that turns people off to the kinds of things he's trying to convey, leaving only smugly-self-assured liberals reading his essays. His acerbic writing style does him no favors and alienates people from challenging themselves by considering controversial ideals.

I really did enjoy his essay on how the film "Crash" perpetuates racism as perceived from a white perspective, however.

And yes, yes, yes, I realize this is *me* saying this, and I'm kind of less-than-polite (to put it lightly). But this is a video game forum. I'm not collecting my diatribes here for publication in books for sale, and it's intended for a small group of the 15-20 people who read this stuff. I think there's a big difference between who I discuss politics w/ and Tim Wise's intended audience - and in his case, he needs to tone the no-shit-we're-all-racist snottiness down a notch.[/QUOTE]
Then you won't be upset when a compilation of your posts ends up on Amazon for sale electronically?

Cool.

[quote name='camoor']No, it's myke[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']perhaps.

but *never* a troll, so I get some credit for that, yes?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']Myke becomes a troll the moment he starts using the royal We.[/QUOTE]
fuck all y'all. Sho'nuff says dohdough is the meanest, baddest, awesomest CAG'er.

shonuff.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']Nonsense. I had the shogun of harlem as my avatar on this site well before you joined.[/QUOTE]
HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW!

1219236114shonuff.jpg

LEE ROY!

Part of the '08 Election also had to do with the absolutely brilliant job of selling W. as "just a folksy guy like you" in the two previous elections. People honestly thought that W. would be a better guy to sit down and have a beer with than Kerry. Ironic since Bush doesn't drink...
Another was the culture war that the right has been waging for years. For whatever reason the republicans have been sold as the party of moral responsibility and family values, meanwhile their two biggest mouthpieces (Limbaugh and Gingrich) have had as many wives combined as I have fingers on my hands (thumbs aren't fingers), another of their biggest mouthpieces was an anchor on the show that invented trash TV (O'Reilly on Inside Edition) and their current reigning queen has an out of wedlock grandchild and a retarded child from her own irresponsible decisions as an adult (i.e. women over 40 shouldn't be having children due to the health risks involved).

But hey, a fictional character on TV smoked pot while she had cancer and Clinton got a blowjob from an intern so we have to hear about this crap for at least 30 more years.

Islamophobia in america can be completly chalked up to the fact that Sho'Nuff was muslim, who wouldn't be afraid?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mike-huc...istian-church-allowing-muslims-to-pray-there/
Devout Christian Mike Huckabee is having a hard time understanding the concept of charity. The former Arkansas governor and potential 2012 hopeful visited Fox and Friends to discuss a small church that had allowed Muslims to worship when mosques in the area proved too small or were under construction, something he considered shocking and the beginning of a slippery slope: “Should the church be rented out to show adult movies on the weekend?” Huckabee was clearly incensed with the news that Muslims were worshipping in a church. “As much as I respect the autonomy of each local church, you just wonder, what are they thinking?” he told the Fox and Friends crew. “If the purpose of a church is to push forward the gospel of Jesus Christ, and then you have a muslim group that says that Jesus Christ and all the people that follow him are a bunch of infidels who should be essentially obliterated, I have a hard time understanding that.”

Read the whole column, it's a great analysis of what Huckabee was saying.

7Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

8Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

9But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

10And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

11And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

12If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,

13Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;

14Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;

15Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.

16And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

17And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;

18When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the LORD thy God.
- Deuteronomy 13:7-18

Prominent member of a religion that commands you to kill infidels, railing against a religion that commands you to kill infidels = funny as fuck

And also really sad.

[quote name='IRHari']http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mike-huc...istian-church-allowing-muslims-to-pray-there/

Read the whole column, it's a great analysis of what Huckabee was saying.[/QUOTE]

I once did yoga in the basement of a unitarian church, we would collect donations after in thanks for being able to use the space. I always thought that was pretty groovy.

I also once caught a yoga program on some Chrisitian living station that was actually pretty good.

Granted I live on the coast - no way in hell am I going to middle America in this lifetime.

[quote name='camoor']Granted I live on the coast - no way in hell am I going to middle America in this lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Middle America is exactly like the rural areas in states like New York and California but I get your drift. I have to drive ten miles to drop off recycling. If I couldn't sell aluminum close to the recycling center, I wouldn't even bother. My other Middle America pet peeve is car emissions. We have so many junkers out here that just belch black smoke that I usually keep the windows closed and interior circulation on when I'm in traffic.

As for Muslims, there aren't many out here for the majority to hate on. Hispanics are about to get the short end soon though.

I have to wonder what kind of god would approve of the opinions of people like Huckabee. It would have to be a humongous prick.

I'm muslim. My family and I, we HATE terrorists. No were not indifferent, we really F*CKING HATE THEM. Because they try to justify themselves through islam. Its all just a cowardly excuse. They don't deserve to be called muslims even -_-

[quote name='giantqtipz']I'm muslim. My family and I, we HATE terrorists. No were not indifferent, we really F*CKING HATE THEM. Because they try to justify themselves through islam. Its all just a cowardly excuse. They don't deserve to be called muslims even -_-[/QUOTE]

We feel the same about terrorists that tout their Christianity. Islamophobia isn't about terrorism. It's about the irrational fear of people that look and act different than the majority.

[quote name='giantqtipz']I'm muslim. My family and I, we HATE terrorists. No were not indifferent, we really F*CKING HATE THEM. Because they try to justify themselves through islam. Its all just a cowardly excuse. They don't deserve to be called muslims even -_-[/QUOTE]

Nobody doubts that Muslims like you exist, or even that you are the majority of Muslims. I think people are frustrated that we never hear about groups or coalitions of Muslims like you on the public world stage trying to do something about Islamic terrorism, even if it's just on a "we publicly stand against you" scale.

But it's also entirely possible that does exist but our failed media doesn't cover it.

I've heard about it quite often actually, even if it's just a single prominant muslim saying it, it happens fairly often. I simply think that many people choose to ignore it. I mean when Pat Robertson says some stupid bullshit I don't get up and demand every Christian on earth apologize for it.

[quote name='Clak']I've heard about it quite often actually, even if it's just a single prominant muslim saying it, it happens fairly often. I simply think that many people choose to ignore it. I mean when Pat Robertson says some stupid bullshit I don't get up and demand every Christian on earth apologize for it.[/QUOTE]

And that's why it's not about anything more than xenophobia.

I wish more people from Arizona stood up and said they weren't knee-jerk uneducated cunts.

Then I'd feel better about the people in that state.

[quote name='Msut77']Never is a big word thrust. You are misusing it just like every other word.[/QUOTE]
I suppose we have to keep things more literal for you.
Does "rarely" make more sense to you?
It should; the words "rarely" and "sense" apply to you better than anyone.

[quote name='Clak']I've heard about it quite often actually, even if it's just a single prominant muslim saying it, it happens fairly often. I simply think that many people choose to ignore it. I mean when Pat Robertson says some stupid bullshit I don't get up and demand every Christian on earth apologize for it.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
I understand there are tons of individual Mulsims outraged by the bad PR a few of them provide the rest.
My point is is best illustrated by the fact that you and I could name several islamic terrorist organizations and movements with little effort, but we'd all struggle to name anywhere near as many Muslim-based anti-radical islamic organizations off the top of our heads.

The problem: because such organizations are so non-existent, any other non-islamic group/government trying to identify and do something about it are quickly dismissed as [insert favorite leftist attack label of the day] by the "terrorism knows no demographic" left.

[quote name='mykevermin']I wish more people from Arizona stood up and said they weren't knee-jerk uneducated cunts.

Then I'd feel better about the people in that state.[/QUOTE]

No you wouldn't.

Why do they have to form entire organizations? And the only reason any of us can name any islamic extremist groups is 1, we were attacked by one, and 2 they're constantly in the news. Otherwise I doubt many in the U.S. could name a single one.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Nobody doubts that Muslims like you exist, or even that you are the majority of Muslims. I think people are frustrated that we never hear about groups or coalitions of Muslims like you on the public world stage trying to do something about Islamic terrorism, even if it's just on a "we publicly stand against you" scale.

But it's also entirely possible that does exist but our failed media doesn't cover it.[/QUOTE]

I think that's horseshit for several reasons, and my guess is that deep down, you do too. 1) Why in the hell should we have to speak out against terrorism? That's like expecting all white people to apologize and speak out against racism, all men speaking out against domestic violence, and all asians speaking out against raising class curves (OK, last one was tasteless, but I'm in a pissy mood)

2) There is no unified governing body that represents all Muslims. The Shiites have the closest to that, but the Sunni's absolutely don't. So who is supposed to make these statements on behalf of all muslims?

3) PR groups like CAIR have repeatedly spoken out against terrorism. They tend to do it so they can beat their chests and claim power and voice for all muslims, but they have done it.

4) Without a single governing body, oftentimes these things take place in local communities. My community recently had a kid who tried to bomb a christmas tree lighting in a big public square. The next day our mosque was firebombed and nearly burnt to the ground. Even still, the mosque alone has held 3-4 different events explicitly speaking out against terrorism.

You don't hear about these rallies and these speeches because what's more interesting? Some guy blowing up a building and screaming Allah Akbar, or a local religious leader hosting an open house for the mosque to promote community, and denounce terror? Which one made your local paper?

There are LOTS of muslims that are doing exactly what you request. Ask your local media why this isn't covered to the same degree.

Let's replace taliban and tea partier with liberal and communist and pick from numerous broad similiarities that aren't really similiarities but can be easily misconstrued as such in a picture!

Har har har. liberals are like communists. So similiar.

[quote name='Knoell']Let's replace taliban and tea partier with liberal and communist and pick from numerous broad similiarities that aren't really similiarities but can be easily misconstrued as such in a picture!

Har har har. liberals are like communists. So similiar.[/QUOTE]
You're absolutely right. The teabagger should've been labeled as a conservative republifuck.

Knoell:

I can only imagine what it must have been like to be your 3rd grade teacher responsible for keeping you on task. 'No, we're doing math right now, please take your coat off and leave the markers alone.'

Do you physically have the ability to stay on topic?

Oh I can only imagine what Knoell and/or bob were like as kids in school. "I'm sick of this liberal PC bullshit, Bugs is a communist trying to take over the country and Elmer Fudd is a patriotic Amercian defending our country!"

"Also...I popped my pants...."

bread's done
Back