The Official "We wish JaytheGamefan well in his future endeavors" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mykevermin']That's not really clairvoyance. What did you expect it could have been otherwise?

EDIT: Whoever starts the next thread, if it isn't the "'Don't Call It Wrestling' Entertainments Thread," you're fucking fired.[/QUOTE]
*cue "I will never back down" promo*

:cry:

jlLLN.png

I got lost watching a few old John Cena matches / promos, and I'd really like it if he were a "wigger" again.

I enjoyed Mania but I was in a room with four other people playing a game of Risk while we watched. Taker vs. Triple H was among the very best in HHH's career.

Since I'm finally at an actual computer, I figure it's time to chime in about Mania.

First off... I didn't hate it. I was actually sort of surprised when I came on here afterwards and read the comments, as they were a lot more negative than I anticipated. Do I think it was the best Mania ever? Not even close. Was it a pretty solid show? Yes. Also, given how it looked on paper, 'solid' is pretty high praise.

Maybe that was it, really... I wasn't too hyped about it going in, so having zero expectations helped me enjoy it more. Who knows?

- I was *pissed* about Sheamus/Bryan being bumped. I had that in my pool of 'possible show stealer' matches, and had high hopes for it. To find out that it not only got bumped, but to turn into a battle royal? Ugh. Both guys deserved way better than that.

- That first point brings up a question... what did they can an audible on and give more time to? That Mania ran way long, barely getting done before 11pm. With how they hyped the Sheamus/Bryan match, I have to assume that the call was made sometime Sunday to give more time to one or more matches and can that one. My assumption is HHH/Taker, since it ran 30 minutes, but I don't know. The Corre/whoeverthefuck match was also a joke, and I still have zero idea why it was on the card if it was only going to be about 2 minutes. So, there were some timing issues, but I don't quite know which matches I would've taken time away from... so, was this show just overbooked?

- They made a poor decision regarding the Edge/Del Rio match. A few, actually. First, Del Rio should've walked out with the belt, but if the trade-off was that Miz got to walk out as champion, I can live with it. Second, *because* Del Rio didn't win, I knew Miz was walking out as champ 3 and a half hours before it happened. Third, Christian and Clay were pointless additions to anything. It was just a bizarre match, though completely carried by Del Rio, but I have no idea where this story goes from here.

- If pressed, I may actually give Rey/Rhodes match of the night honors. Impressive showing by both men, and that superplex spot was a highlight. Looking at WM26, I never would've thought that Cody would be the breakout one, but here it is. Very well done. Oh, and the 'dark' entrance is fantastic.

- Loved the set. Simple, yet looked very good. Popped.

- I hope someone realizes that Punk is the best worked they have. He carried that match, but it ended the exact way we all assumed... Orton gets his ass kicked, hits ONE RKO, and it ends. At least Cena hits five fucking moves first. Enjoyable, but the ending left a bad taste in my mouth, especially because Orton didn't need that win, and the entire storyline makes zero booking sense. Orton demolishes the ENTIRE NEXUS. Punk gets revenge by taking out Orton's knee. Orton overcomes the odds and beats Punk. The most amazing part? Punk doesn't look bad coming out of this, which is a testament to how great Punk truly is.

- Speaking of the Nexus, let me understand this: John Cena single-handedly destroys the original Nexus, which was largely comprised of now-Corre members. That Nexus also had *more* guys. So, Cena takes out a larger group that these guys led, but Big Show needed Kane, Santino, and Kofi's help to take out The Corre? That makes perfect booking sense. Really. This was the 'guess who looks like a bitch?' match of the night. You have a 'dominant' heel group on Smackdown holding both the IC and Tag Team titles, who get destroyed in under 3 minutes. Bravo, WWE.

- HHH/Taker had me until the 'how many finishers can we kick out of?!?!?!' portion. HHH doing the tombstone was nifty, but that last portion dragged a bit. The ending was over-done, too, both the actual ending and the post-match. The visual of HHH dropping the hammer was great, but they bungled it by doing it twice and then having him tap. I think it would've been more effective if he passed out, especially with that post-match angle. Post-match, though, was too long. Curious to see what that sets up, though. Still, a much better match than I was expecting. I gave the nod to Cody/Rey, however, as this match *should've* been great since we know both guys can really go when they want to, and Cody/Rey was a great example of someone slightly unexpected stepping up and putting on one hell of a show.

- I don't understand Cole/Lawler, but if it brings Ross back full-time, then I don't care. It would appear, though, that Cole won't be disappearing, as there's no point in giving him the 'win' if he can't gloat about it. I'm guessing, too, that that wasn't Lawler's ideal WM moment. He technically 'lost', and his celebration was more about Stone Cold than Lawler. Then Booker T. Then Austin again. It was a bizarrely booked segment... oh, and why did Lawler call the rest of the show in a Stone Cold shirt?

- fuck me, I can't believe I'm going to say this... Snooki was exactly what WM celebrity involvement should be. Short and showy. Quick match, and she actually was sort of impressive with what they had her do. As long as they don't bring her back, this was tolerable.

- John Cena can go fuck himself. That entire entrance pissed me off to no end, especially given that things were bumped from the card. Seriously, knock Cena's 5 minutes entrance off, and Bryan/Sheamus could've probably still given us something amazing. Oh, and I'll never complain about that purple shirt again, since this red one is just horrendous. Ugh.

- The crowd wasn't into Miz/Cena at all, I think mainly because they knew nothing would end until Rock came out. The crowd reactions were interesting, though, as the heat on Cena continued. If Rock is truly hanging around for a few months and they don't take the opportunity to turn Cena now, it'd be a tremendous fuck-up. The crowd is turning on Cena in a way that's new, so I'm hoping that capitalize on that. Unlikely, but still. Miz looked solid, but Cena didn't give him much to work with. Honestly, I sort of felt like Cena was wrestling on NyQuil... just sort of listless and slow. The double countout was hokey, but at least Miz walked out as champ. Where it goes from here, though, worries me. That ending was overbooked, but with no logical next step from here.

- Whether you like Miz or not, I can't help but smile at last night. He talks about ten years ago and watching WM17, and last night he main-evented WM, walked in AND out as champ, and ended the show by getting beat down by The Rock. That's a hell of a story, and really the kind of thing that I guarantee each and every one of us here daydreamed about at least once.

- I really, really wanted someone to punch that fucking guy wearing the basketball jerseys in the face. What a fucking douchebag asshole. Spoiler alert: you aren't part of the show, sit the fuck down.

This was an overly long post, but it's Mania. Like I said, overall match quality was better than I expected, and it was a solid, if unspectacular, Mania. The biggest downside is that it gave us more questions than answers, which Mania shouldn't do. Random question, too... what was the last Mania where *zero* titles changed hands? I realize that there were only two title matches, but even so, when was the last time that either major title didn't change hands?

[quote name='007']when was the last time that either major title didn't change hands?[/QUOTE]

Major singles title:
WWF Championship:
Wrestlemania XVI (2000), Triple H over Foley, Big Show, and The Rock
Wrestlemania XI, Diesel over Shawn Michaels
Wrestlemania III, Hulk Hogan over Andre the Giant
Wrestlemania II, Hulk Hogan over King Kong Bundy
...and theoretically, WrestleMania, since the WWF title was not on the line at all.

So counting both belts as more or less the same thing (really, they are), there have been 4 events out of 26 where the title has not changed hands.

*However*, this is the very first WrestleMania event where no title has changed hands at all. I suppose there's some irony to that, since many of us complain about belts being hotshotted around and having no gravitas to them. Then again, the IC and Tag Team belt holders were decimated to subjobber status in 3 minutes last night - and those very tag belts changed hands twice in a minute and a half a few weeks back, so...yeah.

After watching HHH/Taker II again, I have to say it was the match of HHH's career.

Next year they will do HHH/Taker III and HHH will put Taker away.

Cena did seem kinda listless. (see the baseball slide spot near the beginning where Cena pretty much throws himself out of the ring like 5 seconds after it connects)

This is also the first time I can remember the Attitude Adjustment getting absolutely zero response from the crowd either way.

[quote name='007']
- I was *pissed* about Sheamus/Bryan being bumped. I had that in my pool of 'possible show stealer' matches, and had high hopes for it. To find out that it not only got bumped, but to turn into a battle royal? Ugh. Both guys deserved way better than that.

- That first point brings up a question... what did they can an audible on and give more time to? That Mania ran way long, barely getting done before 11pm. With how they hyped the Sheamus/Bryan match, I have to assume that the call was made sometime Sunday to give more time to one or more matches and can that one. My assumption is HHH/Taker, since it ran 30 minutes, but I don't know. The Corre/whoeverthefuck match was also a joke, and I still have zero idea why it was on the card if it was only going to be about 2 minutes. So, there were some timing issues, but I don't quite know which matches I would've taken time away from... so, was this show just overbooked?
[/QUOTE]

I think they overbooked this event. They could have easily put on the US Title match by doing the following.

1) Reduce the time used for the Lawler/Cole match. It was getting long a tedious with Cole actually having any offense. And then that fuckin' stupid ending! Maybe the rumors of Vince loving Cole are true. This feud should have ended last night with Cole getting his ass beat and Lawler being the man.

2) Reduce the time used for the HHH/UT match. Come on, even the two HBK/UT matches weren't 30 minutes long. This match should have been 20 minutes long. Kicking out of multiple finishers get stupid after a while.

3) Get rid of that Snoop Dog talent audtion. Why the fuck does WWE even bother having non-wrestlers (at I'm sure pretty good pay), do stupid shit on PPV's? It would be one thing if this was part of something bigger, like the involvement of Snooki was. But something this random eating up time that the people you have under contract could be using doesn't make any sense at all. And people who buy PPV's want to see wrestling. This non-wrestling bs belongs on RAW.

4) The Cena entrance should heve been a whole lot shorter. I really don't hate Cena, but WWE makes it almost impossible not to.

Adding up all of these little things would have enabled the US Title match to be shown on the PPV and also added time to the 8 person tag match. Come on WWE, you have 8 people involved in a match (including your IC and TT title holders) and it ends in a 2 minute squash? WTF? When did you guys re-hire Vince Russo?

As far as wanting to get rid of wrestling out of their name and their organization. Who's going to buy your PPV's then? Nobody is going to pay $50 to $65 to watch live entertainment on their tv. Those type of people can get their fix watching other things for free or go to a concert.

[quote name='mykevermin']Major singles title:
WWF Championship:
Wrestlemania XVI (2000), Triple H over Foley, Big Show, and The Rock
Wrestlemania XI, Diesel over Shawn Michaels
Wrestlemania III, Hulk Hogan over Andre the Giant
Wrestlemania II, Hulk Hogan over King Kong Bundy
...and theoretically, WrestleMania, since the WWF title was not on the line at all.

So counting both belts as more or less the same thing (really, they are), there have been 4 events out of 26 where the title has not changed hands.

*However*, this is the very first WrestleMania event where no title has changed hands at all. I suppose there's some irony to that, since many of us complain about belts being hotshotted around and having no gravitas to them. Then again, the IC and Tag Team belt holders were decimated to subjobber status in 3 minutes last night - and those very tag belts changed hands twice in a minute and a half a few weeks back, so...yeah.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for doing the legwork on that one. I'm actually shocked to find it's happened so few times, but I figured that the pre-split WMs would be a huge factor.

What's even more strange about not hot-shotting the world titles recently is that, frankly, *both* belts had logical change points last night, and both blew past them. This is easily Edge's longest reign ever, and Miz has the longest reign since, what? JBL?

So, yeah, in a company where the sub-titles have been treated like shit recently, I hadn't really thought about how the world titles have been treated recently until last night. It's a pleasant surprise, frankly.

Sidenote: I think, too, that's part of the reason why last night didn't feel like an 'event'. No major titles changed hands, nor did we get any big celebrations after wins, even Taker. The biggest celebration we got was Lawler, who was stripped of the win directly after anyway. The more I think about it, the more bizarrely this was booked. There really weren't any big cathartic 'yeah!' moments.

Not sure that I would say that was Triple H's best match ever, but it would certainly be in the conversation with H/Cactus Jack at Royal Rumble 2000 and HBK's return match.

[quote name='007']So, yeah, in a company where the sub-titles have been treated like shit recently,[/QUOTE]

recently? Who were the last midcard title holders that mattered?

I don't think I've ever seen more finishers used in a single match then in that HHH/Taker match last night. I mean, damn. That shit used to mean something, now it's just another over used gimmick.

Really wish if they had to bump stuff it would have been the opening Rock promo (the home audience doesn't give a fuck about dicking around with crowd participation crap like "WRESTLE!" "MANIA!") and the 8 man tag. They could have thrown Danielson and Sheamus back in there. They could just as easily have turned the 8 man tag into a battle royal, if that's what their ultimate intent was.

[quote name='Clak']I don't think I've ever seen more finishers used in a single match then in that HHH/Taker match last night. I mean, damn. That shit used to mean something, now it's just another over used gimmick.[/QUOTE]
Finishers haven't meant a thing since the late Attitude era.

I hardly think going all out once per year for the most important match on the WM card is "over using" it. I've seen some people say "if Davey Richards vs (Some Default CAW-lookin' ROH Guy) did this, people would shit all over it!" Yeah, and they should, because Davey Richards isn't a fucking undead cowboy who gets his power from the netherrealm. it's the fucking Undertaker vs. Triple H at Wrestlemania, it SHOULD be excessive as hell.

[quote name='007']
What's even more strange about not hot-shotting the world titles recently is that, frankly, *both* belts had logical change points last night, and both blew past them. This is easily Edge's longest reign ever, and Miz has the longest reign since, what? JBL?
[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Cena running roughshot for little over a year between late '06 and '07, and even then he had to vacate the title due to his injury.

That promo was the highlight of the night for me. I also admit that Snooki pulling that shit out of....wherever was surprising and mildly entertaining.

[quote name='KaneRobot']a fucking undead cowboy who gets his power from the netherrealm.[/QUOTE]

I think they accomplished something big with the "Deadman" gimmick last night. After the match, I perceived that they were showing the Undertaker not as a supernatural phenom, but as a man with everything to lose. A man who would chew his own leg off in order to keep his legacy alive.

He's at the end of his rope, and rather than play it off as if he's still winning because he's "supernatural", they have shifted it to he's winning because it's all he has left.

Let's face it... Taker isn't going to be in a title hunt, and next year will likely be his last Wrestlemania. Last night was the perfect set-up for his next match, which is likely a year away.

Last night, I watched a broken down man defy the odds in order to maintain his legacy. This wasn't a display of supernatural demon spirit. It was a display of the human spirit... the ability to continue on beyond the wall.

A story is being told... and it very well may be the best story to be told in the history of the WWE. Regardless, I'm digging it.

That UT submission was crap and you know...he didn't even hook it in right at first...I'm so sick of The Undertaker...

Only managed to catch the last three matches last night and it was a bit disappointing, even more so now after reading about the better matches earlier in the evening.

HHH/UT was everything we expected, love that the last 10 minutes of the match UT basically fought on his backside.

Even with Snooki doing cartwheels, that match was a waste of Ziggler and Morrison, they both kind of deserved a good WM match and they got stuck with that shit.

So who is the heel now? Miz, Cena or The Rock? Liked both entrances, but they did make everything drag on just a bit too long and that ending, sheesh, kind of hard to build drama while everyone is waiting for someone else to show up.

[quote name='HydroX']I didn't see the last match due to my kiddo raising hell last night, so youtube it is...

That Miz promo before the main event was pretty awesome. I've always loved that Nas track and it fits so well.

EDIT: Best version I could come up with on little notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llfEegeN740[/QUOTE]

That video package, his dressing up as The Rock, and his win last night is exactly the things they need to do to push him as top talent. Well done, WWE.

On another note, I'm gathering that we all feel like the biggest fuck up last night was dropping the match with one of the WWE's most talented wrestlers? I still think it was weird the pre-show package included highlighting the match, AS THE REPLACEMENT MATCH WAS HAPPENING. How the fuck could that not have been edited out? Now we've also got a situation where a new champion is going to show up and those who don't read rumors and such will just be left asking WTF? Not only that but how much does it show a devaluation of the US championship if they're gonna go ahead and skip showing the only title match to change hands last night.

It was a debacle, plain and simple.

Oh, and are the tag championships now gathering dust in a closet at HQ? The last we saw ANYTHING on them is the 2 minutes Cena and Miz spent as co-tag team champions (an angle we've seen before but frankly could have been played out differently).

And finally, comparing last night's Wrestlemania to a Russo-shit fest is really doing Vince Russo a disservice. He would have come up with something much more whimsical. Like, for example, having Rock do a rock bottom on both Miz and Cena. Then drop a double People's Elbow and call PeeWee Herman out to pin both and throw the title belt on Pee Wee. Only to have Rock poke Pee Wee in the chest the next night on Raw, pin him and have Rock as champ. Anything less than that being called a Russo-ending is just plain insulting.

The crowd was completely stale last night, very few pops during the night (most I can think of were during the HH-Taker match) hell, even Vicky Guerrero who's a cheap heat generator couldn't get anything out of them.

That Miz video package was excellent, very good stuff. Opening the show with Edge-Del Rio was a terrible idea. Makes it look like the world title means shit IMO.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']On another note, I'm gathering that we all feel like the biggest fuck up last night was dropping the match with one of the WWE's most talented wrestlers? I still think it was weird the pre-show package included highlighting the match, AS THE REPLACEMENT MATCH WAS HAPPENING. How the fuck could that not have been edited out? Now we've also got a situation where a new champion is going to show up and those who don't read rumors and such will just be left asking WTF? Not only that but how much does it show a devaluation of the US championship if they're gonna go ahead and skip showing the only title match to change hands last night.

It was a debacle, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

Uh, it didn't change hands.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Don't forget Cena running roughshot for little over a year between late '06 and '07, and even then he had to vacate the title due to his injury.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, yeah, you're right. I had apparently blocked that out, likely for a good reason.

That was the run that had the Umaga, Khali, and Lashley feuds, right? Bleh. Having won it in 2006, Cena held it for something like 380 days.

... so, as an addition to my earlier post, something sort of dawned on me. The world titles have stayed put for way longer than what would be considered 'WWE normal' at this point (which, of course, is a totally different thing from 'TNA normal'). However, neither of the belts feel like they mean anything more than they have when they *were* being hot-shotted, mainly because one title isn't the focal point of anything (Miz) and the other is on Smackdown. There was some mention of Edge never defending successfully at Mania, but there wasn't any talk about the fact that this has been a long reign for Edge and that he even made it through the EC with the belt. Miz is the same issue... chickenshit heel champion or not, I feel like they should be making a bigger deal out of the fact that Miz *has* remained champion for as long as he has, no matter the actual reasons.

At this point, Miz is right around 133 days. We have to go back to 2008 to get a reign longer than that, which was HHH at 210 days, coming right off the heels of Orton's reign of 203 days (which, of course, included Orton's heel retention at WM24 over HHH and Cena). Those were longer reigns, but Miz is easily the longest since then, with the next closest coming in around 90 days. So, yeah, it's not like a huge 'oh WOW!' accomplishment, but it's enough that it really should be mentioned in some storyline capacity, at least as a talking point for Miz.

[quote name='007']Ugh, yeah, you're right. I had apparently blocked that out, likely for a good reason.

That was the run that had the Umaga, Khali, and Lashley feuds, right? Bleh. Having won it in 2006, Cena held it for something like 380 days.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Also, the Khali thing reminds me of something I'd like to see done:

Remember when Khali destroyed HBK before his rubber match with Cena on that one RAW? Well, I wanna see that sort of thing done for a MitB winner. Do a buildup to a match between the champ and the challenger, have the challenger's music hit but not show, then the cameras go to the back to find him laid out. All of a sudden Mr. MitB's music hits, he walks out and cuts a small promo along the lines of "it looks like you don't have an opponent. Mind if I cut in?"

This would accomplish two things:

1) It would be a really interesting swerve. Sure it wouldn't be the advertized match, but it would be the inverse of what we've become accustomed to with that sort of booking (I'm looking at you TNA).

2) It would be our first real MitB match since RVD/Cena at ONS '06. I think we're long overdue for another one.

Thoughts?

[quote name='Purple Flames']Yep. Also, the Khali thing reminds me of something I'd like to see done:

Remember when Khali destroyed HBK before his rubber match with Cena on that one RAW? Well, I wanna see that sort of thing done for a MitB winner. Do a buildup to a match between the champ and the challenger, have the challenger's music hit but not show, then the cameras go to the back to find him laid out. All of a sudden Mr. MitB's music hits, he walks out and cuts a small promo along the lines of "it looks like you don't have an opponent. Mind if I cut in?"

This would accomplish two things:

1) It would be a really interesting swerve. Sure it wouldn't be the advertized match, but it would be the inverse of what we've become accustomed to with that sort of booking (I'm looking at you TNA).

2) It would be our first real MitB match since RVD/Cena at ONS '06. I think we're long overdue for another one.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...Sounds good, although I like the surprise (or semi-surprise) of the way it happens now. When Miz cashed in, and the second time Punk cashed in, they were huge surprise. I honestly never saw them coming (Moreso Punk's than Miz's.) But yeah, the way you said would be something different, and pretty damn cool....unless, you know, I hated whoever had the MitB briefcase at the time.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Should HHH have "passed out" instead of tapping to Booger Red's Triangle Hold?[/QUOTE]

Nah, I thought the tap out was much more effective, especially because it wasn't some big dramatic tap out like you usually see in matches. It was much more of a UFC-esque "Ok, I'm done. You win" tap.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I think they accomplished something big with the "Deadman" gimmick last night. After the match, I perceived that they were showing the Undertaker not as a supernatural phenom, but as a man with everything to lose. A man who would chew his own leg off in order to keep his legacy alive.

He's at the end of his rope, and rather than play it off as if he's still winning because he's "supernatural", they have shifted it to he's winning because it's all he has left...

...Last night, I watched a broken down man defy the odds in order to maintain his legacy. This wasn't a display of supernatural demon spirit. It was a display of the human spirit... the ability to continue on beyond the wall.

A story is being told... and it very well may be the best story to be told in the history of the WWE. Regardless, I'm digging it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with pretty much all that - and along the same lines, I'm impressed that it's actually still sort of adhering to what they did last year. Kane "stealing his powers" hasn't really been erased (although what happened to turn Kane back into a chump...who knows). Not as drastic a character shift as the biker was, but still a pretty damn effective one.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']That Miz video package was excellent, very good stuff. Opening the show with Edge-Del Rio was a terrible idea. Makes it look like the world title means shit IMO.[/QUOTE]

Dont forget that it also shits on the premise of the Royal Rumble and how he gets to "headline" Wrestlemania. Instead he was the curtain jerker.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Nah, I thought the tap out was much more effective, especially because it wasn't some big dramatic tap out like you usually see in matches. It was much more of a UFC-esque "Ok, I'm done. You win" tap.[/QUOTE]

Knowing H, I'm surprised they didn't go with the "passed out" finish.

[quote name='HydroX']I didn't see the last match due to my kiddo raising hell last night, so youtube it is...

That Miz promo before the main event was pretty awesome. I've always loved that Nas track and it fits so well.

EDIT: Best version I could come up with on little notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llfEegeN740[/QUOTE]

That song is perfect for the Miz. That needs to be his new entrance music.

Taker-HHH was fucking epic, but like WM 25, it was a bit of a one match show. The undercard COULD have been really good, but pretty much everything fell short. Corre-Wacky Guys match was unbelievably short and really fucking killed the Corre as any kind of threat. Then they didn't even deliver Sheamus-Danielson after fucking saying it WOULD BE ON THE PPV. It's like when they did Miz and Morrison vs. The Colons on the pre-show after saying it would be on PPV. The time management on the show was terrible, even with them having a FOUR HOUR WINDOW to deliver the show they advertised. Rock's opening was good, but the backstage stuff was really hit or miss and I think they killed the show as a whole for them. Miz-Cena peaked with the incredible videos. Miz's basically set up him as a fantastic face later on and was epic, while Cena's was also epic, but more character-centric instead of telling the journey of his rise to the time. Miz-Cena was bad, and Rock's stuff was disappointing because he did more for free than he did on this show.

'Taker-HHH was an incredible match. They busted their asses out there and I couldn't believe how good 'Taker was moving given how banged up he's appeared before and I was even more amazed by what he was able to do after the missed dive. The chairshot to the head spot ruled because they've stopped doing them and he thankfully got his hands up. The early portion was a little too spot-nothing-spot-nothing, but once they started to build to the conclusion, it was captivating. Loved HHH hitting 3 Pedigrees AND the tombstone AND the chairshot, only to fall to the crafty veteran's ground submission.

King-Cole was just odd. They went on too long, Cole looked awful and not in a good, amusing way. Loved him doing squats in the Cole mine and J.R. and Booker being out there. Austin not leading to Lawler winning was certainly questionable, but I hope King gets another match at WM because this was a terrible first WM match for him. Build-up was fantastic, the conclusion to it was underwhelming. King tries to get revenge for Cole INSULTING HIS DEAD PARENTS and he loses. Fantastic. Morrison's black and silver gear was great - he needs to stick with it because he looks somewhat tougher with it. Cody-Rey was pretty good and I loved Cody's dark gear. This new character isn't the best thing for Cody, but man is it ever helped by him being so into it. He takes it seriously, and thankfully he does, because if he didn't, how could anyone watching it take it seriously? Edge-Alberto was a very good match and a good choice for an opener because of it, but man does it kill the world title to have it open the show - and that title's been hurt enough in the past six months as it is.

Screens -

Quotes -

Rock - FINALLY, THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO ATLANTA! THE ROCK PROMISES THAT THIS WILL BE THE MOST MEMORABLE WRESTLEMANIA IN HISTORY! John Cena’s in the back wondering which Fruity Pebble shirt he’s gonna put on tonight.
Crowd - FRUITY PEBBLES! (clap clap clap clap)
Rock - Let the Rock take a drink of water, but this isn’t just any water - IT’S THE PEOPLE’S WATER. WHEN THE ROCK SAYS YABBA, THE PEOPLE SAY DABBA! YABBA!
Crowd - DABBA!
Rock - AND THIS LAST ONE NEEDS NO INTRODUCTION! THE ROCK IS WITH THE MILLIONS… OF THE ROCK’S FANS BECAUSE THIS IS WRESTLEMANIA, THIS IS THE SHOWCASE OF THE IMMORTALS AND THIS IS HOSTED BY… THE JABRONI BEATING, PIE-EATING, TRAIL-BLAZING, EYEBROW-RAISING, ELBOW DROPPING, SO KNOW YOUR ROLE AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH. THE BRAHMA BULL EVER DEFIANT STANDING AS TALL AS ANDRE THE GIANT. THIS IS BIGGER THAN CHRISTMAS, SO NO OFFENSE TO SANTA CUZ THE ROCK IS BRINGING IT ALL OVER ATALANTA! IF YA… NO NO NO NO NO. That catchphrase is the most electrifying catchphrase, so this has to be something special - that doesn’t belong to the Rock, it belongs to the people. WE’RE GONNA ELECTRIFY THE WORLD - EVERYONE ON YOUR FEET, RIGHT NOW FEEL THE ELECTRICITY ASSUME THE POSITION WITH THE ROCK - WE’RE SAYING IT LOUD AND PROUD. IF YA SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING!
Cole - Alberto employs 100 workers on his ranch in Mexico.
King - Sounds like you’re on his payroll. He’s got the personality of a jackass.
Cole - I’M A TWO-TIME SLAMMER WINNER. A FORMER WAR CORRESPONDENT. I’M A BROADCAST JOURNALIST! WE ARE HERE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CNN CENTER - HOW APPROPRIATE IS THAT!?
Cole - THE MASK IS ONLY LEGAL WHEN CODY WEARS IT, NOT REY. COME ON, REF!
King - Cody cooked out.
Crowd - CODY! CODY! CODY!
King - Oh you…
Cole - What?
King - You just said Cody cooked out.
Cole - Actually, that was you, but I didn’t want to embarrass you on television - I’ll do that later on.
King - I WAS REPEATING WHAT YOU SAID, MORON!
Regal - Straight out of Blackpool. I’m William Regal - everyone knows that I do nothing legal. Mess with my man Snoop, and I’ll show you why I’m straight up villain. Was that straight up gangsta for ya?
King - Santino speed-walking!
(on Orton-Punk)Cole - THIS IS AS PERSONAL A MATCH AS ANY AT WRESTLEMANIA!
Rock - What do you have to say for yourself, John Cena’s number 1 fan?
Pee Wee - YOU CAN’T SEE ME!
Rock - Do you realize how ridiculous you sound and look saying all that hot garbage? PEE WEE, THE ROCK SEES POTENTIAL IN YOU. POTENTIAL TO BE A MAN!
Pee Wee - Really?
Rock - Yes. Do you wanna be a man on Team Bring It, or do you wanna be a little boy on the Fruit Loop Troop? If you join the Fruit Loop Troop, this is what you’re gonna look like - Mean Gene!
Pee Wee - He looks like a tool!
Gene - I KNOW YOU ARE, BUT WHAT AM I! GIVE ME A BREAK!
Rock - Get that garbage off.
Pee Wee - THE PEE WEE HERMAN SEES YOUR POINT.
Rock - Then there’s one thing you need to do…
Pee Wee - IF YOU SMELLLAALALALALALA
Rock - BREATHE, PEE WEE!
Pee Wee - WHAT THE PEE IS COOKING!
Rock - WELCOME TO TREAM BRING IT! GIMME SOME. Ok, not that much.
Josh - THERE HAVE BEEN RUMORS FOR WEEKS, mostly put out by J.R., that he would be joining us here tonight AT SOME POINT!
Cole - CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!? THERE’S J.R. - THE MAN WITH THE SECOND-BIGGEST EGO IN SPORTS ENTERTIANMENT!
J.R. - Jerry Lawler has been waiting for this moment for a long time. A 40 year career finally culminating in the King’s first match ever at WrestleMania.
Josh - COLE’S A PRISONER IS HIS OWN SANCTUARY!
J.R. - KING, AND I QUOTE, JUST RAMMED COLE’S HEAD INTO HALLOWED GROUND!
J.R. - It’s something I’ve never done sober - A WRESTLEMANIA-SIZED SPINEROONI!
Sign - IT’S STILL REAL TO ME (PG VERSION)
Guy - GULLOTINE LEGDROP!
Guy - YEAH! OLD SCHOOL!
(after the dive)Fans - HOLY SHIT!
King - THE BOOT TO THE HEAD OF THE UNDERTAKER OF TRIPLE H!
J.R. - WE HAVE SEEN THREE PEDIGREES. WE HAVE SEEN HISTORY…NO HE KICKED OUT!
HHH - STAY DOWN!
J.R. - The look on the Undertaker’s face tells a better story than we ever could.
HHH - STAY DOWN! JUST DIE! WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU!? STAY…(Taker goozles him)
(during the tombstone)HHH - IT’S OVER!
J.R. - HHH IS TRYING TO FIND THE HAMMER! IS THERE AN ESCAPE FROM HELL’S GATE!? HELL’S GATE IS LOCKED!
King - I know you’re an avid watcher of Jersey Shore - do you love Snooki or what?
J.R. - I love her low center of gravity.
Sign - John Morrison smells of peach.
Choir - YOUR TIME IS UP! MY TIME IS NOWWWWWW!
J.R. - SPINE ON THE PINE!

Yeah it was during the Benoit feud.

HHH/Taker needed to be what it was because of Taker being broken, but they definitely should have lopped time off of it. Finisher-fest works for Austin and Rock because they're the ones who dumbed down WWE. People have seen HHH and Taker capable of much more so that match was based on pure story alone.

[quote name='Trakan']Uh, it didn't change hands.[/QUOTE]

I thought the Battle Royale was a title match with Khali winning? That's what was posted earlier in this thread.

[quote name='crr_1119']
PWRshow Pro Wrestling Report
Sheamus defends the US Championship in a pre #WM27 Dark Match. Match was originally advertised as a 1 on 1 match.

Sigh. That's really lame.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crr_1119']And to make it even worse,
The Great Khali ended up winning the Battle Royal to become the new United States Champion.
[/QUOTE]

There you go, that's the information I was relying on.

I dunno, either way my point stands that by bumping the US Championship off of the card, with at least one of the wrestlers (Bryan) being one of their best wrestlers, they've seriously devalued that title.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I think they accomplished something big with the "Deadman" gimmick last night. After the match, I perceived that they were showing the Undertaker not as a supernatural phenom, but as a man with everything to lose. A man who would chew his own leg off in order to keep his legacy alive.

He's at the end of his rope, and rather than play it off as if he's still winning because he's "supernatural", they have shifted it to he's winning because it's all he has left.

Let's face it... Taker isn't going to be in a title hunt, and next year will likely be his last Wrestlemania. Last night was the perfect set-up for his next match, which is likely a year away.

Last night, I watched a broken down man defy the odds in order to maintain his legacy. This wasn't a display of supernatural demon spirit. It was a display of the human spirit... the ability to continue on beyond the wall.

A story is being told... and it very well may be the best story to be told in the history of the WWE. Regardless, I'm digging it.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, I don't think they've really pushed the deadman angle for a while. I mean for fuck sake, they had him doing the biker thing for how long?

TNA Wrestling performer Kurt Angle, a former WWE Champion, posted numerous messages on his Twitter account during WrestleMania XXVII criticizing Randy Orton, Jack Swagger, Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler for using his trademark finishing maneuvers during their respective matches.
The tweets are as follows:
“To WWE wrestlers, Don’t use my Finish. Get more Creative. Hmmmm- Orton. Did I say that.”

“I heard Orton had an Awesome match though. Ur welcome. Lol.”

“I guess Swagger will use my Ankle Lock as well.Very creative. I’m the Best in the World. You Guys will never be Kurt Angle.can I get an AMEN.”

“Kurt Angle will never die. TNA. WWE. I’m a leader. Not follower.”

“Why would WWE use my finishes? Is it because I won’t go back? R Orton- Angle Slam. M Cole- Ankle Lock? They have some nerve.”

“Jerry Lawlor did it too. But He is a Legend. WWE really stuck it to Me.No Love lost. I’m glad that I helped Your biggest Event of the Year:)
Ahahaha. Shut up.

Curious to see what they do with Cody's actual entrance now..the newspaper headline things were awesome but nobody was using their normal graphics anyway. Also liked the Saw meets Dr. Doom thing he had going.

[quote name='pimpster4183']Angle said his twitter was hacked and that wasnt him.[/QUOTE]

In other news, the catholic church said they had no knowledge of molestation by their priests...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back