The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']Amazon price matched the Command and Conquer pack to the gamefly $16.99 sale which means it's $11.99 with the Editor's Choice $5 if you have any left.

Tony said they weren't going to do it so it's probably a mistake auto-price match like the Hotline Miami $5 was. If you want it for $12 I would grab it ASAP.[/QUOTE]

I hear these titles are updated to work with newer versions of Windows. Is there like a luancher, or does it just list "Command and Conquer Collection" or all of the titles seperate?

EDIT: I just checked and it lists them individually in Origin. :)

[quote name='jshackles']Okay so I ported a fair amount of code to Firefox and submitted my Add-On for inclusion in their Add-On repository (store? page? thing?)

If anyone would like to test and provide feedback, you can install it directly from my website. Doing so, it won't automatically update when I make changes (best I can tell, that requires the Mozilla site approval).

http://enhancedsteam.com/firefox/enhanced-steam.xpi

Let me know what kind of interesting new bugs you guys find!

EDIT: at the moment, this is just the basic stuff - cleaning up the javascript in search, highlighting games you own and games on your wishlist, highlighting owned DLC on the game page. I may be able to port a few of the other features over, but this should be a good "jumping off" point.[/QUOTE]

You're a quick man! Thanks! So far it seems to work. Although, do you have a lost of things you've worked on? nvm found it on your website.

I checked SR3 game page since I have the complete pack, and it shows correctly which DLC I do and do not have (strangely enough there's two I don't have: bloodsucker and all unlockables packs)

I can confirm that the "Fixes the "No Image Available" images on your wishlist" part does not work.
I can't really tell if the DRM thing works. I've looked at the Batman AA store page (I searched the web for a steamgame with bad DRM and this seems to be one) but couldnt find anything mentioning drm.
Wishlist: can't check since I don't have anything on my wishlist that I already own :p
Looking at bundle pages shows me which games in the bundle I already own, but the "See how much you've spent on your Steam account" doesn't seem to show.

Hope this is helpful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jshackles']I hear these titles are updated to work with newer versions of Windows. Is there like a luancher, or does it just list "Command and Conquer Collection" or all of the titles seperate?[/QUOTE]

They all work with both Win 7 and Win 8 with no problems.

It's through Origin. You get one key and then it redeems as all the individual games on Origin. It verifies you own the game on launch but it doesn't require a constant connection or any nonsense like that like the new Sim City will.

I'm not sure if Origin has an offline mode or not. I've never tried.

I don't think there is any other DRM than Origin. I haven't noticed any.

[quote name='Motoki']They all work with both Win 7 and Win 8 with no problems.

It's through Origin. You get one key and then it redeems as all the individual games on Origin. It verifies you own the game on launch but it doesn't require a constant connection or any nonsense like that like the new Sim City will.

I'm not sure if Origin has an offline mode or not. I've never tried.

I don't think there is any other DRM than Origin. I haven't noticed any.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Picked it up, because like you said it's probably a mistake. I have like 10 of those coupons left so it's good to use another (I used my first on Hotline Maimi!) :bouncy:

[quote name='jshackles']Okay so I ported a fair amount of code to Firefox and submitted my Add-On for inclusion in their Add-On repository (store? page? thing?)

If anyone would like to test and provide feedback, you can install it directly from my website. Doing so, it won't automatically update when I make changes (best I can tell, that requires the Mozilla site approval).

Let me know what kind of interesting new bugs you guys find!

EDIT: at the moment, this is just the basic stuff - cleaning up the javascript in search, highlighting games you own and games on your wishlist, highlighting owned DLC on the game page. I may be able to port a few of the other features over, but this should be a good "jumping off" point.[/QUOTE]

What is there seemed to work and because of it I found out that I apparently own Dota 2. It isn't in my steam library, but the store page says I have it and it is highlighted.

[quote name='Kaltic']What is there seemed to work and because of it I found out that I apparently own Dota 2. It isn't in my steam library, but the store page says I have it and it is highlighted.[/QUOTE]

Likely spectator mode.

[quote name='Kaltic']What is there seemed to work and because of it I found out that I apparently own Dota 2. It isn't in my steam library, but the store page says I have it and it is highlighted.[/QUOTE]

*Ninjaed!

I thought I remember reading someone saying before that everyone 'owns' it but if you never got a true beta key then it's just some sort of watch and observe client thing where you can watch other people play or some silliness like that.

[quote name='Motoki']Amazon price matched the Command and Conquer pack to the gamefly gamestop $16.99 sale which means it's $11.99 with the Editor's Choice $5 if you have any left.

Tony said they weren't going to do it so it's probably a mistake auto-price match like the Hotline Miami $5 was. If you want it for $12 I would grab it ASAP.

*Edited to add: It's Origin only, but I know some people here were interested in it if it was $12 so figured I'd repost that here.[/QUOTE]

Aaaand the deal is dead. It was a mistake price match.

Still pondering Crysis. Anybody recommend 1 v. 2?

Also if I have a quad-core Phenom with an nVidia GT 240, will it run C 1 without breaking?

[quote name='warreni']Still pondering Crysis. Anybody recommend 1 v. 2?

Also if I have a quad-core Phenom with an nVidia GT 240, will it run C 1 without breaking?[/QUOTE]

Check your PC here.

[quote name='Therapy']You're a quick man! Thanks! So far it seems to work. Although, do you have a lost of things you've worked on? nvm found it on your website.

I checked SR3 game page since I have the complete pack, and it shows correctly which DLC I do and do not have (strangely enough there's two I don't have: bloodsucker and all unlockables packs)

I can confirm that the "Fixes the "No Image Available" images on your wishlist" part does not work.
I can't really tell if the DRM thing works. I've looked at the Batman AA store page (I searched the web for a steamgame with bad DRM and this seems to be one) but couldnt find anything mentioning drm.
Wishlist: can't check since I don't have anything on my wishlist that I already own :p
Looking at bundle pages shows me which games in the bundle I already own, but the "See how much you've spent on your Steam account" doesn't seem to show.

Hope this is helpful :)[/QUOTE]

yeah I noticed the wishlist icons weren't working - Firefox apparently uses a different format for their package manifest file than chrome, so the add-on isn't loading for any page that is loaded from steamcommunity.com yet, but I'm working on it!

The bundle pricing thing is a bug and I'm working on that now. DRM warnings are not yet implemented.

Some features may never make it to a Firefox release, but I'll do what I can! :cool:

[quote name='warreni']Still pondering Crysis. Anybody recommend 1 v. 2?

Also if I have a quad-core Phenom with an nVidia GT 240, will it run C 1 without breaking?[/QUOTE]

I'd get 2 at the Origin sale simply because the 1st game is 5 dollars all the time, while for the second that's by far the best discount it's had yet and likely won't be matched until a MSRP drop.

I can't seem to get into a game of Ravaged. I see plenty of active servers, yet I sit there waiting to connect for ages until it says I've lost my connection to the host. Oh well.

[quote name='jshackles']yeah I noticed the wishlist icons weren't working - Firefox apparently uses a different format for their package manifest file than chrome, so the add-on isn't loading for any page that is loaded from steamcommunity.com yet, but I'm working on it!

The bundle pricing thing is a bug and I'm working on that now. DRM warnings are not yet implemented.

Some features may never make it to a Firefox release, but I'll do what I can! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Well I'm liking it so far :D good job!

I like how the DoW II DLC stuff is such a mess, that Steam itself doesn't recognize that I own it, but Enhanced Steam does. Or maybe that's just because of the bundled keys from Amazon work.

Those requirement sites are usually inaccurate and often insist you can't run things unless you have sub one-year old tech. An Nvidia GT 240 should have no trouble running Crysis 1, obviously not fully maxed out, though, and depending on your resolution.

[quote name='Mooby']Those requirement sites are usually inaccurate and often insist you can't run things unless you have sub one-year old tech. An Nvidia GT 240 should have no trouble running Crysis 1, obviously not fully maxed out, though, and depending on your resolution.[/QUOTE]

I'm not pushing the pixels too hard; I have a 17" monitor at 1280x1024.

Jshackles, it would be cool to include some things that aren't just things that Valve would or should include.

I'm feeling you want to keep the professionalism in your work, but what i'm thinking is this: another thing I frequently do when looking up a game is look for video reviews and gameplay from certain sites. If those videos were already waiting for me it would be a time saver. I usually check you tube for Giant Bomb Quicklooks, and Total Biscut's WTF is... videos. The ES options could have a checkable box if you want to include one site and not another.

I think this would be totally cool for my use and also cool because Valve probably wouldn't ever do it on their own.

Alright Firefox chaps!

Has been updated to v 1.1 which implements these features:

Highlights 3rd party DRM
Finds out how much you save in a bundle
See how much you've spent on your Steam account
Fixes "No Image Available" on your wishlist

KNOWN BUG:
I haven't quite figured out the cross-domain scripting for SteamGameSales.com, so for now it will say "Fetching price history" on the game page for... well forever. Hopefully in the next version I'll figure this out.

Enjoy!

So if we wanted to start a database of DLC divided into categories of content/cosmetic/early unlock, what would be the best place to do something like that? A public shared Google doc maybe?

So something like

| |

Other idea, just have a blank in the options to include youtube search parameters. That way you wouldn't be on the hook for including every game website and worry IGN or whoever doesn't get left off.

So yeah, in the blank I'd put Giant bomb quick look and the extension would search for that plus the game name and the result would show on the Steam game page.

[quote name='jshackles']Alright Firefox chaps!

Highlights 3rd party DRM

KNOWN BUG:
I haven't quite figured out the cross-domain scripting for SteamGameSales.com, so for now it will say "Fetching price history" on the game page for... well forever. Hopefully in the next version I'll figure this out.

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

This is awesome. Thank you! I usually browse Firefox on my mac laptop and this is the first version I could get working. Chrome plugin never wants to install and the old greasemonkey script didn't do anything. This is working as you described. Very cool.

[quote name='pantsattack']Jshackles, it would be cool to include some things that aren't just things that Valve would or should include.

I'm feeling you want to keep the professionalism in your work, but what i'm thinking is this: another thing I frequently do when looking up a game is look for video reviews and gameplay from certain sites. If those videos were already waiting for me it would be a time saver. I usually check you tube for Giant Bomb Quicklooks, and Total Biscut's WTF is... videos. The ES options could have a checkable box if you want to include one site and not another.

I think this would be totally cool for my use and also cool because Valve probably wouldn't ever do it on their own.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much a matter of professionalism, it's just a matter of (trying to) stay relatively bias-free. If I feature "Giant Bomb Quicklooks" or "Total Biscut's WTF is..." videos, it establishes them as the "go to" videos for reviews, and leaves out a lot of other really good review videos that some users may prefer. Check boxes in the options help, but if I were going to do this, it would probably be more of a box in the options for you to type in the link of a Youtube channel so the plugin could pull the videos from that channel, and default it to blank (only use Steam's videos). That way, users could enter whatever channel they wanted to.

[quote name='Motoki']So if we wanted to start a database of DLC divided into categories of content/cosmetic/early unlock, what would be the best place to do something like that? A public shared Google doc maybe?

So something like

| |

You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.

[quote name='jshackles']It's not so much a matter of professionalism, it's just a matter of (trying to) stay relatively bias-free. If I feature "Giant Bomb Quicklooks" or "Total Biscut's WTF is..." videos, it establishes them as the "go to" videos for reviews, and leaves out a lot of other really good review videos that some users may prefer. Check boxes in the options help, but if I were going to do this, it would probably be more of a box in the options for you to type in the link of a Youtube channel so the plugin could pull the videos from that channel, and default it to blank (only use Steam's videos). That way, users could enter whatever channel they wanted to.

I've been working on putting this into the back end of the EnhancedSteam.com website. My database format will be something similar (, , , , )

If you guys want to start a Google doc now and then let me leech that data when I'm ready, that would be great! :D[/QUOTE]

See my following post.

Highlights 3rd party DRM

KNOWN BUG:

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Wonderful, thanks!

[quote name='Motoki']You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Bought!

Wait, I mean "OMG I can't use my EC coupon and get for -$2.00 worst sale ever"

Thanks for the tip, been waiting to get this cheap. Maybe I can get my wife to play a game with me some day.

[quote name='Motoki']You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! :D

[quote name='Motoki']You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! Not sure if I'll ever play it, but like you said with THQ going away it's future on Steam is up in the air at this point. Bought!

[quote name='pantsattack']See my following post.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that after I wrote that long post :) Shouldn't be difficult to do. The difficult part would be potentially inserting them into the Steam code with all the rest of the videos. Other than that, I could make a new box and embed the video there, separately.

[quote name='warreni']I'm not pushing the pixels too hard; I have a 17" monitor at 1280x1024.[/QUOTE]

Should be more than fine to run it.

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I'm not sure it's worth it even at this price. I've read that it's hotseat multiplayer only on PC and is missing some other features present in the console versions. Kind-of a slap in the face for a series that was born on PCs.

It does redeem on Steam.

Thanks for the heads-up, Motoki! Been waiting for this one.

[quote name='warreni']FWIW, I'm not sure it's worth it even at this price. I've read that it's hotseat multiplayer only on PC and is missing some other features present in the console versions. Kind-of a slap in the face for a series that was born on PCs.[/QUOTE]
I played it back in the 90's and it was only hotseat multiplayer then so I'm not sure I'd be missing out on anything.

[quote name='jshackles']Yeah I saw that after I wrote that long post :) Shouldn't be difficult to do. The difficult part would be potentially inserting them into the Steam code with all the rest of the videos. Other than that, I could make a new box and embed the video there, separately.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of reviews, is Juanjava's suggestion about adding in the Metacritic user score on the Steam page doable?

I notice that some games, like EA games in particular, tend to have huge discrepancies between the two scores:

nfsmwh.jpg

And before anyone says 'the users are just trolls!' I skimmed through the reviews and most of them actually specified the reasons they were giving it a low score.

*Edited to add: Admittedly this is kind of a bad example because it's not on Steam, but it was the first one I ran across that had a big gap like that.

[quote name='Motoki']Speaking of reviews, is Juanjava's suggestion about adding in the Metacritic user score on the Steam page doable?

I notice that some games, like EA games in particular, tend to have huge discrepancies between the two scores:

nfsmwh.jpg

And before anyone says 'the users are just trolls!' I skimmed through the reviews and most of them actually specified the reasons they were giving it a low score.

*Edited to add: Admittedly this is kind of a bad example because it's not on Steam, but it was the first one I ran across that had a big gap like that.
[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't be too hard at all, actually. It will be especially easy since the games which have Metacritic scores, Steam includes the link directly to Metacritic for me to parse.

EDIT:

Also, this. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enhanced-steam/

They said it would take 5-10 days for them to review and approve the addon so that it will appear in search results and update automatically, but it's hosted there if anyone wants to install it directly from Mozilla.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']I liked Most Wanted (on the Vita)....[/QUOTE]

I thought the Android one was decent too. Admittedly, I haven't tried to PC version at all and there seem to be lots of complaints about the controls, it being a console port, same old same old, etc, *shrug*

Asheskitty might know more on the PC version. She seems to be the resident racing game expert. ;)

[quote name='jshackles']It's not so much a matter of professionalism, it's just a matter of (trying to) stay relatively bias-free. If I feature "Giant Bomb Quicklooks" or "Total Biscut's WTF is..." videos, it establishes them as the "go to" videos for reviews, and leaves out a lot of other really good review videos that some users may prefer. Check boxes in the options help, but if I were going to do this, it would probably be more of a box in the options for you to type in the link of a Youtube channel so the plugin could pull the videos from that channel, and default it to blank (only use Steam's videos). That way, users could enter whatever channel they wanted to.

I've been working on putting this into the back end of the EnhancedSteam.com website. My database format will be something similar (, , , , )

If you guys want to start a Google doc now and then let me leech that data when I'm ready, that would be great! :D[/QUOTE]

Why not just a general "Find This Game on Youtube" button that would open a new tab with search results?

Last time I checked into NFS: Most Wanted (2012) a little before Xmas, they still haven't solved some horrible performance issues on the PC. The lowest I've seen it for on the PC is $20 and that's not low enough for me to risk it yet.

I find cases of a metacritic split greater than 10 (multiplying critics score by 10) to be interesting. Diablo III is another large split that comes to mind. There are a couple more. The sad case is when critic scores are low (claiming that the game doesn't do anything new) but the user scores are rather higher.

Interesting article and examples of critic/user splits is here:
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-critic-scores-vs-user-reviews

It does redeem on Steam.

I know on Xbox there was quite a fair amount of DLC. Is this already in the game, because I don't see it available on Steam. Even if it's not available still a insta-buy.

[quote name='oman19']I know on Xbox there was quite a fair amount of DLC. Is this already in the game, because I don't see it available on Steam. Even if it's not available still a insta-buy.[/QUOTE]

2-players only and no DLC, FYI.

It does redeem on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Now this game brings up memories. I played quite a bit of the original with friends almost 20 years ago. Come to think of it, one of those that I played it with is now a senior programmer at THQ. Full circle and all that.

Highlights 3rd party DRM

KNOWN BUG:

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Sweet! Thanks!

I finally started to D/L everything I bought from BF to New Year's sales and it's a little over 300gb. Insanity.

[quote name='oman19']I know on Xbox there was quite a fair amount of DLC. Is this already in the game, because I don't see it available on Steam. Even if it's not available still a insta-buy.[/QUOTE]
No DLC -- the console DLC packs were never released for PC.

YDKJ was one of the few games I willingly picked up on PS3 instead of PC because the PC version pales in comparison to the console releases (no DLC, no online multiplayer, only two players [the older PC versions supported 3 players], no controller support).

Just a quick heads up saw a post about the Elder Scrolls collection for $33 on slickdeals. http://slickdeals.net/f/5795118-Eld...rim-Oblivion-Morrowind-with-Expansions-DLC-31

Elder Scrolls III Morrowind Game of the Year
Elder Scrolls III Morrowind: Bloodmoon
Elder Scrolls III Morrowind: Tribunal
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion Game of the Year
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion: Knights of the Nine
Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Elder Scrolls V Dawnguard
Elder Scrolls V Hearthfire

Seems to be a single key for all games after reading through the thread.

edit: For some reason can't get a link to post on the forum here so the direct link to the website offering the deal is in the slickdeals thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back