The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jshackles']
On topic - anyone have any ideas what we're in store for the midweek sales tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Magicka. :p

Or maybe Crusader Kings 2? I saw something on GG about some new dlc

[quote name='spoderman']Guys, seriously.. this is not the thread to be discussing the ME3 ending, or any other game ending. Go to a ME3 discussion (or other respective game discussion) thread for that. Trakan has already posted that deal threads are NOT the right threads for that stuff.[/QUOTE]

Because off topic or semi on topic conversation never happens. This is twice within a couple of hours from you with this now. Who appointed you lunch mother?

Also let's hear some contributions from you in this thread, beyond telling people what they can can't say of course.

[quote name='spoderman']Guys, seriously.. this is not the thread to be discussing the ME3 ending, or any other game ending. Go to a ME3 discussion (or other respective game discussion) thread for that. Trakan has already posted that deal threads are NOT the right threads for that stuff.[/QUOTE]

Have you checked the PC gaming sub-forum lately? This one thread alone probably has had more posts in it since 1/1, than the entire PC gaming sub-forum.

[quote name='travathian']Have you checked the PC gaming sub-forum lately? This one thread alone probably has had more posts in it since 1/1, than the entire PC gaming sub-forum.[/QUOTE]

That's because the actual ME3 discussion posts are in the console sub-forums. Might as well discuss the game there. They're pretty active too. I could see that being a problem for PC exclusive games though.

[quote name='spoderman']That's because the actual ME3 discussion posts are in the console sub-forums. Might as well discuss the game there. They're pretty active too. I could see that being a problem for PC exclusive games though.[/QUOTE]

It's not like we have a ton of space here for PC stuff. If we make too many threads the console people complain. So we're kind of ghettoized here and a couple other places.

If the conversation goes off on to tangents sometimes so what? It's not harming anyone and no one is stopping anyone from being on topic.

[quote name='spoderman']That's because the actual ME3 discussion posts are in the console sub-forums. Might as well discuss the game there. They're pretty active too. I could see that being a problem for PC exclusive games though.[/QUOTE]

It was six posts total. Not six pages, six posts. It's not like there was an ongoing Steam sale and people were missing out. If we weren't talking about ME3 for those six posts or Enhanced Steam, this thread would be dead outside of 1pm to 1:05 pm eastern. So, for curiosity's sake, what exactly is the harm?

[quote name='Broken Cage']It was six posts total. Not six pages, six posts. It's not like there was an ongoing Steam sale and people were missing out. If we weren't talking about ME3 for those six posts or Enhanced Steam, this thread would be dead outside of 1pm to 1:05 pm eastern. So, for curiosity's sake, what exactly is the harm?[/QUOTE]

...and now 8+ posts on this non-deal topic.
Not that I'm trying to incite anything...:whistle2:\"

There's actually a thread about this in the Rules or whatever sub forum and the mods recently cracked down on it in the Amazon thread.

The summary:

You ARE allowed to generally say something like "I think X game was good or is worth it at this price because of X general reasons, etc."

Once the conversation starts getting into too many specifics and too much about whether the game is good or not, etc. they want the discussion out of the deals forum and into one of the general gaming sub forums.

Also, a lot of people don't want to read that stuff because they don't want to read anything that might potentially spoil the game for them.

Also, it still needs to be on topic. ME3 is not on sale or anything, so all this ME3 talk is way off topic even if it is in a thread about PC game deals.

[quote name='Motoki']Because off topic or semi on topic conversation never happens. This is twice within a couple of hours from you with this now. Who appointed you lunch mother?

Also let's hear some contributions from you in this thread, beyond telling people what they can can't say of course.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to get involved, but he's right in saying that this isn't the place for that. It's acceptable to discuss a game for what it is as a game, but once you start talking about the details, even hints at details, of a story, you're crossing the line.

I haven't played ME3 yet, nor have I finished the other two games. Wrap it in spoilers if you must talk about it, but I don't think it's acceptable to talk about such things openly.

Also, asking that he contribute something in response to this is ridiculous. He's speaking up for people who, like me and many others who are in similar situations, don't want to see this in the thread, not to mention that the mods are against it as well. He doesn't need to prove himself to make his point valid. I have nothing against anyone here, but you've gotta speak up when you've gotta speak up (nothing personal).

[quote name='travathian']Have you checked the PC gaming sub-forum lately? This one thread alone probably has had more posts in it since 1/1, than the entire PC gaming sub-forum.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']It's not like we have a ton of space here for PC stuff. If we make too many threads the console people complain. So we're kind of ghettoized here and a couple other places.

If the conversation goes off on to tangents sometimes so what? It's not harming anyone and no one is stopping anyone from being on topic.[/QUOTE]

The fact that this thread goes off-topic a lot doesn't set precedence for future off-topic posts. This thread is meant for deals. While I agree that off-topic posts keep it alive and far away from being bland, talking about a game's story isn't the place to go. It's unfair for people who haven't played the game. Wrap it in spoilers, please.

[quote name='Broken Cage']It was six posts total. Not six pages, six posts. It's not like there was an ongoing Steam sale and people were missing out. If we weren't talking about ME3 for those six posts or Enhanced Steam, this thread would be dead outside of 1pm to 1:05 pm eastern. So, for curiosity's sake, what exactly is the harm?[/QUOTE]

The quantity doesn't change what it is. Wrap it in spoilers, please.

[quote name='Motoki']Magicka. :p

Or maybe Crusader Kings 2? I saw something on GG about some new dlc

Because off topic or semi on topic conversation never happens. This is twice within a couple of hours from you with this now. Who appointed you lunch mother?

Also let's hear some contributions from you in this thread, beyond telling people what they can can't say of course.[/QUOTE]

Motoki, Trakan has posted twice in the Amazon thread that game-ending discussion should be posted elsewhere. If you want, I can ask him to post his opinion in this thread. You do realize your post (that I'm replying to) is inciting a fight right? That ain't contributing. Most of my posts are contributing, and I challenge anyone to look at my post history and prove me wrong. I'll go ahead and PM Trakan to get this sorted out. Please stop trying to start fights from nothing, Motoki.

The harm is people eventually getting spoiled because people keep encouraging others to post about the ME3 ending (or other game endings)? It should be fairly obvious that some of us don't want to see that crap in the Steam deal thread because we don't want to get spoiled. It went on for several pages in the Amazon thread (which is why a mod had to get involved).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Severose']I haven't played ME3 yet, nor have I finished the other two games. Wrap it in spoilers if you must talk about it, but I don't think it's acceptable to talk about such things openly.[/QUOTE]

Unless you've stuck your head in a hole since ME3's release, you know damn well that nothing said in this thread is a spoiler. I haven't played it either, but everything said so far was splayed out in gaming headlines for weeks after the game was released. Death, taxes, and ME3's ending sucks are now the holy trinity of truths.

Sephiroth kills Aerith!

" The Steam Deal Thread V6"

Is ME3 even on steam? No. Please cut it out.

You can get opinions on stuff that is on sale, just dont start discussions about story etc.

[quote name='travathian']Unless you've stuck your head in a hole since ME3's release, you know damn well that nothing said in this thread is a spoiler. I haven't played it either, but everything said so far was splayed out in gaming headlines for weeks after the game was released. Death, taxes, and ME3's ending sucks are now the holy trinity of truths.

Sephiroth kills Aerith!
[/QUOTE]

The only game detail I mentioned is in the damn trailer. Still, that's fine. We can just talk about Cubemen.

So... how about those Cubemen? You can get two copies of it for $1.99, so even if it sucks, you're only out a happy meal.

Do ANY of the Myst games ever go on sale beyond 50% off? ES and SGS says no, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I'm considering just getting them on my iPad.

[quote name='Motoki']You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.[/QUOTE]

Why don't my $5 EC credit work?! fuck. Wanted that profit. Thanks tho, grabbed.

I need a Jeopardy MMO. I'd play that shit

[quote name='Broken Cage']The only game detail I mentioned is in the damn trailer. Still, that's fine. We can just talk about Cubemen.

So... how about those Cubemen?[/QUOTE]
I've heard that the ending
involves cubes. And men. Made out of cubes.

[quote name='spoderman']I'll go ahead and PM Trakan to get this sorted out. Please stop trying to start fights from nothing, Motoki.
[/QUOTE]

Do it. Go ahead. Do it. I don't care.

More importantly there has been no talk of Steam sales for Tony to price match and put on EC =D

I don't recall seeing Myst games for too cheap. There are several more price trackers in my sig.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Do ANY of the Myst games ever go on sale beyond 50% off? ES and SGS says no, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I'm considering just getting them on my iPad.[/QUOTE]

I want to say Amazon had a deal on the entire series, not sure if it was Steam though.

[quote name='travathian']I want to say Amazon had a deal on the entire series, not sure if it was Steam though.[/QUOTE]

I unleashed some Google-Fu, but I couldn't find any sales with Myst being more than 50% off. Best I could find was GOG selling the collection for $13.59, which was still only 50% off.

Keep major game discussion in their appropriate threads, please. Especially when talking about the ending. This is a deals thread. Keep it on topic.

Thanks.

[quote name='Trakan']Keep major game discussion in their appropriate threads, please. Especially when talking about the ending. This is a deals thread. Keep it on topic.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You missed Eldrepe's post.

I guess I'll just wait until either JakeNome gets the Cyan collection again for cheap or see if they go on sale for iOS again. I think I'd actually rather have them on iOS since they'd likely see more use from me on that platform, but they either haven't gone on sale ever (Riven) or haven't been on sale for going on 2 years.

[quote name='Trakan']Keep major game discussion in their appropriate threads, please. Especially when talking about the ending. This is a deals thread. Keep it on topic.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Define major. Is that 5 posts? 10? The thread nannies need to know when to run for a mod.

Cause the best post that was deleted was the one that said "gee, if someone hadn't raised a stink about the off-topic discussion it'd probably be over already."

[quote name='travathian']Define major. Is that 5 posts? 10? The thread nannies need to know when to run for a mod.

Cause the best post that was deleted was the one that said "gee, if someone hadn't raised a stink about the off-topic discussion it'd probably be over already."[/QUOTE]

It's the content of a post or posts, not the quantity, that defines major game discussion.

[quote name='Severose']It's the content of a post or posts, not the quantity, that defines major game discussion.[/QUOTE]

Well we're quickly derailing into another argument about it, but there was nothing in any of those posts that qualified as a spoiler. Nothing. They show you the reapers in the commercials of the game. That's it. It's over.

Please, if you're not going to discuss Cubemen, you're going to have to move along.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Well we're quickly derailing into another argument about it, but there was nothing in any of those posts that qualified as a spoiler. Nothing. They show you the reapers in the commercials of the game. That's it. It's over.

Please, if you're not going to discuss Cubemen, you're going to have to move along.[/QUOTE]
Cubemen has men made out of cubes.

[quote name='sunasun']
Cubemen has men made out of cubes.
[/QUOTE]

IT'S A SERIES OF CUBES
...is what we'd say if there were a sequel.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I gotta say, this thread is definitely improved by the absence of fun and camaraderie.[/QUOTE]

^ Yeah, you said It! I sure hope there are some great deals tomorrow...

There's plenty of things people could talk about if they really wanted to. I believe the only specific thing anyone asked not to discuss was the ME3 ending thing.

For example, anyone play the Primal Fears beta? Anyone planning on picking it up?

It has co-op and the 4 pack is at a pretty reasonable price (22.49).

I was giving Gamersgate some time to see if they were going to carry it, but they might not so Steam might be the way to go.

Cubeman is the daily deal today, it's been in a bundle before I believe...

Also, for Enchanced Steam it would be cool if it had the daily deal with a green border if you already owned it :)

Ah k I know now

[quote name='mjontrix']Cubeman is the daily deal today, it's been in a bundle before I believe...

Also, for Enchanced Steam it would be cool if it had the daily deal with a green border if you already owned it :)

Offtopic - How did Motoki get banned?
[/QUOTE]

PM'd you with the reason why he got banned

[quote name='mjontrix']Cubeman is the daily deal today, it's been in a bundle before I believe...

Offtopic - How did Motoki get banned?
[/QUOTE]

I actually fired up Cubemen for the first time today. Played the demo. Didn't seem half bad for a TD game, that said it lacked a few things. The Cubemen are the same color so there's no definition/detail in them and also there's no zoom in feature to see the "battle" up close. For games like Defense Grid and Sol Survivor, zooming in to see the battles unfold is a really cool feature as is the detail of the different towers, ships, aliens, etc.

No clue on the banning.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']There's plenty of things people could talk about if they really wanted to. I believe the only specific thing anyone asked not to discuss was the ME3 ending thing.[/QUOTE]

No, it was more a general purge.

[quote name='Tsel']Motoki was banned? He was one of my favorite members. Damn...[/QUOTE]

Let that be a lesson for those that think this thread should be enjoyable.

[quote name='Tsel']Motoki was banned? He was one of my favorite members. Damn...[/QUOTE]

I know, it sucks, but it's not about Cubemen. Some people around here are quick to run to mods, so lets stay on topic.

[quote name='gilby']No, it was more a general purge.

Let that be a lesson for those that think this thread should be enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I think it was just major game discussion. If people want to sulk and pout about it so be it. The mods came down on the Amazon thread just the same and we just kept it moving.

And I'm sure whatever he got banned for, it wasn't for adding anything enjoyable to this thread. I've been on the wrong side of a warning from mods several times for various things and I've never been banned.

The discussion, whether off-topic or not, is what makes this thread. There are literally hundreds of places where I can check out the deals, but this is the only place where I can talk to you all. The deals are nice, but the discussion is what keeps me coming back to the thread. That's all I have to say about that.

I'm pretty sure I want Aliens: Colonial Marines. Steam is going to have to do better than offering me a S.H.A.R.P. Stick for a pre-order bonus though. It's a Steamworks game and the competition is already offering deals. I wish Steam would do better pre-order discounts.

I won't comment on the particulars (since I don't know any of them, nor is it my place) but I will say that I appreciated what he brought to this forum. Bummer.

Motoki wasn't banned for his posts, he was banned for an offensive PM. I'm not going to post it here though. So no, he wasn't banned for "thinking this thread should be enjoyable".

[quote name='Tsel']The discussion, whether off-topic or not, is what makes this thread. There are literally hundreds of places where I can check out the deals, but this is the only place where I can talk to you all. The deals are nice, but the discussion is what keeps me coming back to the thread. That's all I have to say about that.[/QUOTE]

And I get that. And I hate overbearing mods just as much as the next one (which is part of the reason they've warned me in the past for not taking them seriously when they come down on a thread).

That said, earlier a few members spoke up (asking nicely) for people to cut out the game talk and other members instead of being courteous about it decided to make a point of it. Mod came in, deleted like 2 or 3 pages of bickering and that was that. I didn't see anything Motoki did in those posts to warrant a ban so it had to be something else. If he did something that warranted a ban he probably deserved it because the mods around here have been pretty cool about things as far as I know. This isn't neogaf after all.

Edit:
And after seeing the PM in question, I see why he got banned. Justified if you ask me.

[quote name='hal']I'm pretty sure I want Aliens: Colonial Marines. Steam is going to have to do better than offering me a S.H.A.R.P. Stick for a pre-order bonus though. It's a Steamworks game and the competition is already offering deals. I wish Steam would do better pre-order discounts.[/QUOTE]

I SOOOOO want this game to be good. But I'm also SOOOOO apprehensive about anything that involves per-ordering it. I've been disappointed too many times by Alien games and my heart can't take another high dollar let down. I really hope it reviews well and that I'll be able to pick it (and Bioshock Infinite) up at a decent price during the summer sale.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
There's plenty of things people could talk about if they really wanted to.
I believe the only specific thing anyone asked not to discuss was the ME3 ending thing.
For example, anyone play the Primal Fears beta? Anyone planning on picking it up?

It has co-op and the 4 pack is at a pretty reasonable price (22.49).
Sunasun is awesome
for a burger
I was giving Gamersgate some time to see if they were going to carry it, but they might not so Steam might be the way to go.[/
[/QUOTE]
ME3 has an ending thing?
Now I can't play any of the trilogy. :roll:
sucks that Motoki got banned

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']That said, earlier a few members spoke up (asking nicely) for people to cut out the game talk and other members instead of being courteous about it decided to make a point of it.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely untrue. By the time the complaining started, there were a total of six posts about ME3, and none of them revealed anything about the game. It was literally, "People hate ME3 just because of the ending" - "Was it really just the ending? I felt the entire game was a step back" - "The gameplay didn't bother me, just the story." Six posts, followed by pages of complaining about six posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back