The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='plft']Fez is coming to steam on May 1st for an undisclosed price.

Didn't the creator of this say something about how PCs aren't for games?[/QUOTE]

Yes. https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/119839414737317888

Fish is like every other promising developer to naively hitch their wagon to Microsoft's star. Eventually - and admittedly it takes some longer than others - they all realize what a shitty company they chose to work with and inevitably have to come crawling back to PC, where they find the freedom and sales they (herp derp) wanted all along. :roll:

Sorry but that comment still pisses me off to this day. I will still probably get Fez...in a Humble Bundle some day. (Not that anything involving Fish should be in the same sentence as the word "humble". ;))

I agree, the list of games for EA's troubled SimCity launch is actually pretty impressive. However, one thing about their help document on the subject troubled me.

I’m an underage user, how do I get my game?
Users who are beneath the minimum age required to access interactive online services will automatically be granted a copy of SimCity 4: Deluxe Edition and Bejeweled 3 instead. These games will be added directly to your My Games library over the coming days. You do not need to take any action.

So, if you're underage, you get TWO free games. Granted, they aren't the BEST games on the list. However if you're not underage and you WANT both of these games, you're once again being screwed by EA.

[quote name='Junpei']Binary Domain at 75% off: yay or nay? Has it been lower before? I like japanese takes on (usually) western subjects and I like TPS, so the choice should be quite obvious unless it really is a piece of turd...[/QUOTE]

People like it a lot, and it has been cheaper.

It's steamworks, so anywhere you get it will activate.

I got it on Amazon for 3.74 with coupon.

GreenManGaming has similar deals.

I would hold out, but it's definitely worth buying.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I would hold out, but it's definitely worth buying.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback, buddy ;)
Knowing that it will inevitably end down my backlog, I think I'll hold on a little longer... maybe Amazon will wrap it again in a more convenient bundle :D

Has anybody had any experience with the Indie Gala Giveaways section. I keep trying to sign up and it just sticks in the "Verification Process" and then stops. Is it because my game list is too big, or another common bug?

[quote name='Junpei']Thanks for the feedback, buddy ;)
Knowing that it will inevitably end down my backlog, I think I'll hold on a little longer... maybe Amazon will wrap it again in a more convenient bundle :D[/QUOTE]

it's a pretty great squad based shooter

i liked it more than the gears of war series or spec ops

it's the terminator game i always wanted without a license

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Has anybody had any experience with the Indie Gala Giveaways section. I keep trying to sign up and it just sticks in the "Verification Process" and then stops. Is it because my game list is too big, or another common bug?[/QUOTE]

What could you possibly win that you don't have?

(And yeah, I've done it and it worked for me and I've won 3-4 games from it, mostly from Indie Galas I didn't pick up.)

I do not understand how Fez could be exciting. Or Lords of Shadow. Other than the prospects that more console exclusives are coming to PC. LoS was less than the sum of its parts by an awful margin.

[quote name='Junpei']Binary Domain at 75% off: yay or nay? Has it been lower before? I like japanese takes on (usually) western subjects and I like TPS, so the choice should be quite obvious unless it really is a piece of turd...[/QUOTE]

Decent B tier shooter. Below Spec Ops. About Inversion level. Worth a bit less than this price though.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Has anybody had any experience with the Indie Gala Giveaways section. I keep trying to sign up and it just sticks in the "Verification Process" and then stops. Is it because my game list is too big, or another common bug?[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem. I tried 3 times before just giving up.

[quote name='glennfrank']I had the same problem. I tried 3 times before just giving up.[/QUOTE]

I guess my hope of winning Safecracker: Ultimate Puzzle Adventure are but dreams now.

I've never gotten past the Verification Process, it's easier to just buy a link of off Fox when he purchases them during Happy Hour. (then you can have every indie gala bundle, each for under $2.) ;)

Same here, never got past verification.

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity at 66% off ($6.79)
[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why Sins Trinity keeps staying at 66% off recently. I understand that percentage for rebellion, but I know I bought it on Steam for 75% off, which made it a flat $5 (maybe during the summer sale a year or two ago?). I keep telling a friend to get it, but since we know it has been a lower price, why get it now? And it's kinda older at this point. So, just a minor rant.

[quote name='louiedog']A big part of the fun that I had with that game was that first weekend it was out on XBLA when a lot of people were coming together and trying to figure out its secrets. I don't know if that experience will happen again with the PC release, especially since all of the solutions are now out there. Regardless of what it costs or what it's worth, that may be the best way to play it because it won't happen 6 months later.[/QUOTE]
I am going to not use a FAQ with it, just go solo. Actually my GF bought the game, haven't played it, maybe go through it with her.

[quote name='jshackles']So Dungeon Defenders II was just announced.

http://dungeondefenders2.com/blog/

Looks like it will be F2P competitive MOBA with pay-to-unlock heroes.[/QUOTE]

That's cool, but I've considered games like DD and Magicka to be essentially F2P since they go so cheap and release a ton of DLC. Glad to see they finally admit as much.

[quote name='vince_carter']to me fez was the most obnoxiously overrated game by the media in a long time

this was honestly the only accurate review i've seen for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ifue2xGFY[/QUOTE]

I played FEZ on the 360, and I completely agree with this review. I like indie games, and yet I hated this one. No enemies, no penalties, no obstacles, no challenges. You don't even restart the level when you die. It's incredibly easy. The soundtrack was also bad. It's exactly the type of "lol retro" game that RollingSkull always hates on.

Fish has to be one of the worst developers out there, and his egotism makes him even that much more intolerable. He can be quoted as saying "Japanese games are shit" and that his game is so amazing. The only thing passable about it is the art style, and it's not like we haven't gotten enough of that over the past 25 years. It's very easy, very low budget, and very boring. Generally a very shitty and overrated game.

I'll wait to get Fez until it's in a bundle, and if it's one that lets me choose where the money goes, will make sure he doesn't get any.

It is too bad Yahtzee doesn't do indie game reviews, since I'm sure he'd have fun with Fez.

And of course, I had just picked up Lords Of Shadow a couple of weeks ago for PS3 when the PC version gets announced. Oh well.

Cities XL Platinum is on the weeklong sale this week. I've already got it (thanks Drabelincoln) but I'd be interested in finding out if it stacks with the 85% off discount they're giving owners of the previous titles.

Also DLC Quest has been released on Steam after having previously been Greenlit. The developer says that Indie Royale purchasers should be getting Steam keys in the next few days.

[quote name='jshackles']Cities XL Platinum is on the weeklong sale this week. I've already got it (thanks Drabelincoln) but I'd be interested in finding out if it stacks with the 85% off discount they're giving owners of the previous titles.

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't; it actually takes it away and only removes 33%.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']This. I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Both were a little rough to get into a first but once you get used to it they feel just so right to play. I was happy to play through and Platinum both titles. The combat is just so damn good, and the lore . . . just perfect.[/QUOTE]

I wish we could get a PC ports of Demon's Souls, one days...

I wonder if it's a timed Sony-exclusive...

[quote name='Izod517']Toilet Paper Roll.

Over orientation (left) or under orientation (right).

150px-Toilet_paper_orientation_over.jpg
150px-Toilet_paper_orientation_under.jpg

Go.[/QUOTE]

Under.

Over leads to too much paper tear.

Go.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']Obviously both
Ventical_Brass_Good_Bearing_Bathroom_Toilet_Paper_Roll_Holder__1__1957729028371157_500X500.jpg

/thread[/QUOTE]

You mean you guys don't use these?

3shells.jpg
:cool:

[quote name='jshackles']So Dungeon Defenders II was just announced.

http://dungeondefenders2.com/blog/

Looks like it will be F2P competitive MOBA with pay-to-unlock heroes.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']That's cool, but I've considered games like DD and Magicka to be essentially F2P since they go so cheap and release a ton of DLC. Glad to see they finally admit as much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's pretty much what it became. You know, the weird thing is I'm not interested in DDII now even though I bought the original and all the DLC. F2P just turns me off.

For some reason I feel more like Dungeon Defenders is MINE, even though it's totally dependant upon their servers. I feel like I got a complete game with the opportunity to buy some more stuff.

But with DDII I can't escape the feeling that I'm sinking my time into something that may or may not be there tomorrow and that I'm playing a game designed solely to take more of my money. It's totally irrational.

[quote name='Mooby']Hah, and I thought the amount of nickel and dime DLC was bad in the first one.[/QUOTE]

Did you, Mr. Christmas Elf?

[quote name='MysterD']I wish we could get a PC ports of Demon's Souls, one days...

I wonder if it's a timed Sony-exclusive...[/QUOTE]

Sony funded and helped develop Demon's Souls, and they actually own the IP. Which is why the second one is Dark Souls instead of Demon's Souls 2.

[quote name='Mooby']Thank you, sir.[/QUOTE]

No problem. And since you'll inevitably need a new avatar about 4 months from now, I went ahead and took the liberty...

Nv4pUYJ.png

[quote name='Mooby']Excellent.[/QUOTE]

If you want to change it sooner, there's also Cinco de Mayo

7r1r1u9.png

(last one I swear!
Unless you want more.
) ;)

[quote name='jshackles']If you want to change it sooner, there's also Cinco de Mayo

7r1r1u9.png

(last one I swear!
Unless you want more.
) ;)[/QUOTE]

Tequila seems more apropos for one that looks like that.

I'm glad that other people have finally come out and said this. I think there is a place for games with a 'retro' look and feel but more and more often 'retro' is becoming a gimmick used to sell games. I think 'retro' is fine if it's integral to the game (i.e. Retro City Rampage) but the super nintendo look and feel has been beaten to death and it's time to move on IMO.

Still, I'd like to give Fez a try even though it is 1) derivative and 2) making lots of money for an asshole. I believe in supporting game developers and companies, but in this case I really don't want to give Phil Fish any of my money. If only there was some way around this...;)

[quote name='Blade']I played FEZ on the 360, and I completely agree with this review. I like indie games, and yet I hated this one. No enemies, no penalties, no obstacles, no challenges. You don't even restart the level when you die. It's incredibly easy. The soundtrack was also bad. It's exactly the type of "lol retro" game that RollingSkull always hates on.

Fish has to be one of the worst developers out there, and his egotism makes him even that much more intolerable. He can be quoted as saying "Japanese games are shit" and that his game is so amazing. The only thing passable about it is the art style, and it's not like we haven't gotten enough of that over the past 25 years. It's very easy, very low budget, and very boring. Generally a very shitty and overrated game.[/QUOTE]

Retro graphics are fine so long as they look 'consistent' and show some amount of creativity and effort in design. Examples being Dredmor, Terraria, and Binding of Isaac to name a few. Fez is shit because of its design. Another generic platformer. I don't even know why anyone wastes time making those anymore since most are barely indistinguishable from the dozens of others. Notable exceptions only occurring when they do a really good job with art and music like Trine.

[quote name='jshackles']If you want to change it sooner, there's also Cinco de Mayo

7r1r1u9.png

(last one I swear!
Unless you want more.
) ;)[/QUOTE]

What about ones for...
Halloween and XMas?

[quote name='warreni']I don't remember playing Fable 1 and I haven't played Fable III yet, so no basis for comparison there. I had a Dokkalfar (sp?) male who specialized in faeblades and magic and I found KoA's combat to be pretty easy for the most part. I played on Normal. Having said that, I find virtually no games to be overly easy so in some ways it constituted a refreshing change, but I can see why others might complain about it.[/QUOTE]
I think I played on normal first and found it pretty easy, then hopped it up to hard and saw a fairly significant change. Enemies hit pretty hard.

I think the problem is with magic, and I've seen that mentioned in a lot of different reviews and comments on the difficulty. Apparently if you build magic, it becomes really overpowered. I used it a bit (some sort of lightning spell) and it was kind of my "ace in the hole" when I desperately needed to take someone out quickly, which it did. That said, its recharge rate was pretty slow, so I couldn't spam it, which made it very useful while still balanced.

But if I built my MP and whatnot, I could see the magic making things too easy. Although I would just adjust my play style to only use magic sometimes if that was the case.

[quote name='jshackles']I agree, the list of games for EA's troubled SimCity launch is actually pretty impressive. However, one thing about their help document on the subject troubled me.

So, if you're underage, you get TWO free games. Granted, they aren't the BEST games on the list. However if you're not underage and you WANT both of these games, you're once again being screwed by EA.[/QUOTE]
They honestly should give SimCity 4 to everyone.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Has anybody had any experience with the Indie Gala Giveaways section. I keep trying to sign up and it just sticks in the "Verification Process" and then stops. Is it because my game list is too big, or another common bug?[/QUOTE]\
Spoderman knows more, but apparently after signing up to Gala Giveaways, people were getting really shady phishing emails and stuff. Not to mention it sucks; you have you post giveaways to get credit to use on giveaways. It's a terrible system.

[quote name='Rsmobile']I do not understand how Fez could be exciting. Or Lords of Shadow. Other than the prospects that more console exclusives are coming to PC. LoS was less than the sum of its parts by an awful margin.

Decent B tier shooter. Below Spec Ops. About Inversion level. Worth a bit less than this price though.[/QUOTE]
I would give my left kidney to see Harmony of Discord make its way from XBLA to Steam.

Go.[/QUOTE]
Toilet paper goes under, paper towels go over. Why? I don't know, but that's how I do it.

[quote name='wageslave']I'm glad that other people have finally come out and said this. I think there is a place for games with a 'retro' look and feel but more and more often 'retro' is becoming a gimmick used to sell games. I think 'retro' is fine if it's integral to the game (i.e. Retro City Rampage) but the super nintendo look and feel has been beaten to death and it's time to move on IMO.

Still, I'd like to give Fez a try even though it is 1) derivative and 2) making lots of money for an asshole. I believe in supporting game developers and companies, but in this case I really don't want to give Phil Fish any of my money. If only there was some way around this...;)[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Games like Hotline Miami did the retro look extremely well, and I couldn't see the game looking any differently. Others are just lazy and shoddily made.

I'll grab Fez if it's in a HIB, in which case I'll give all the money to charity and not Fish.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
They honestly should give SimCity 4 to everyone.[/quote]
Hehe. :D
I find it hilarious EA added SimCity 4 Deluxe as one of the "Free" choices.

I would give my left kidney to see Harmony of Discord make its way from XBLA to Steam.
I say Konami should bring the ENTIRE Castlevania franchise and ALL of the games to Steam.
Also, same goes for any of the MGS's that are not on the PC; and the rest of the Silent Hill games that didn't get PC ports.

Agreed. Games like Hotline Miami did the retro look extremely well, and I couldn't see the game looking any differently.
Agreed.
Plus - the soundtrack was freaking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back