The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spoderman']It was available free via IGN prime, but definitely not when they had free trials. I remembered it.. and would've grabbed it if it was back when they still had free trials.[/QUOTE]

Ah... it was shortly after they killed the trial offering (but while some people still had prime after their trial "expired".)

[quote name='Detruire']Ah... it was shortly after they killed the trial offering (but while some people still had prime after their trial "expired".)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wasn't one of the people that had a glitched account, sadly. I'm waiting for it to show up in a bundle, or on IGS. The steam bundle is a horrible deal either way lol

[quote name='spoderman']I'm waiting for it to show up in a bundle, or on IGS. The steam bundle is a horrible deal either way lol[/QUOTE]
Definitely (for both points.)

[quote name='asheskitty']Viking is enjoyable. I've played 1/3 of it. It's a middle of the road hack-n-slash. I really enjoy the Nordic Mythology theme (under-leveraged imo). It's gotten a quite decent graphical upgrade in the PC release.

I'll also preempt Idiot here: "Erramergrrr, 30 FPS cap" ^_~[/QUOTE]
hDHyTrl.png

[quote name='Izod517']I read somewhere that it was also capped at 1280x720 resolution. I'll just keep watching Vikings on History for my hairy Nordic violence fix.[/QUOTE]
Love that show.

[quote name='asheskitty']
Speaking of microtransactions and DLCs, I have this terrible premonition that city size is going to increase, and it’s going to cost money. I have the sneaking suspicion that EA has six, maybe seven, full piles of feature content created: new buildings, new regions, and new roads, ready and waiting for the angst and hate to subside long enough to justify a gradual release as DLC purchased for another $1.99-$8.99 per whack. The game, as it stands, is not a full game. It has considerably fewer buildings and options than previous incarnations of SimCity by orders of magnitude.
[/QUOTE]

So, like Civilization V, then?

If I ever make a game I am going to release it Pokemon style. Black/White version and then each color as DLC. Want your grass to be green? Gonna cost you.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']If I ever make a game I am going to release it Pokemon style. Black/White version and then each color as DLC. Want your grass to be green? Gonna cost you.[/QUOTE]
Release a Rainbow edition and include a new Pigman race as bonus content.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']If I ever make a game I am going to release it Pokemon style. Black/White version and then each color as DLC. Want your grass to be green? Gonna cost you.[/QUOTE]

So long as the base version is purchasable through the GalaStore.

[quote name='Eldredpe']So long as the base version is purchasable through the GalaStore.[/QUOTE]

Only through the Gala Store. For only 1,000,000,000 Galapoints you can purchase a coupon that will allow you to purchase it for MSRP on day one. Otherwise you have to wait until 2 years later for it to drop to MSRP.

You should play that DLC Quest you have sitting in your back log... :lol:

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Only through the Gala Store. For only 1,000,000,000 Galapoints you can purchase a coupon that will allow you to purchase it for MSRP on day one. Otherwise you have to wait until 2 years later for it to drop to MSRP.[/QUOTE]

But with that many Galapoints I could saunter over to GalaGiveaways and win at least 45 copies of Talisman: Prologue!

I just downloaded Viking: Battle of Asgard which is my first ever purchase on Steam, yay! It has mixed reviews but it looks old school and I couldn't turn down such a low price.

[quote name='darkrun']I just downloaded Viking: Battle of Asgard which is my first ever purchase on Steam, yay! It has mixed reviews but it looks old school and I couldn't turn down such a low price.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the backlog club....by next month you'll have 30 games in your steam library...and the addiction will continue

[quote name='darkrun']I just downloaded Viking: Battle of Asgard which is my first ever purchase on Steam, yay! It has mixed reviews but it looks old school and I couldn't turn down such a low price.[/QUOTE]
It's a very plain, unoriginal, and a cliched game, but for some reason I couldn't put it down! I managed to get 100% of the achievements and played for ~32 hours (I was about a third of the way through when I restarted on Hard since I felt I was up for the challenge by then).

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Welcome to the backlog club....by next month you'll have 30 games in your steam library...and the addiction will continue[/QUOTE]

Imagine what it'll be like when both Summer and XMas Sales are done... ;)

Thanks guys! I can't wait for the Summer Sale! Right now in my wishlist I have KOTOR 1 & 2 (never played them but I should), Splinter Cell and SE Chaos Theory, and Fallout 3 & New Vegas both GOTY (never played New Vegas) so I'm sure they will get a hefty discount during the Summer Sale. I also want DLC Quest and VVVVV, fun games, maybe even The Last Remnant also.

Steam has an Anomaly 2 deal as well now. It's 10% off ($13.49) and comes with the free second copy, but no mention of a bonus game like the Humble or GG deals. However, if you have the first game, as many of us no doubt do, it's 20% off ($11.99). Splitting the package with a friend would make it 60% off the regular price.

[quote name='esq373']For those that wanted Bully or Manhunt:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/bully-manhunt-pack/

Greenmangaming to the rescue![/QUOTE]

This is a very good deal, but it says Manhunt isn't officially supported on Windows 7, so will it still run with minimal problems or will not not work at all? Bully is a good game and I've never played Manhunt and this is too good of a deal for me to pass up. Is there a patch that will make it work?

[quote name='plft']4 Elements is on a week long sale for 80% off, $2. It looks like a good casual match-3 game, has anyone played it?[/QUOTE]

Steam says I put ten hours into it. I enjoyed it quite a bit - it's definitely casual, but the gameplay varies a little bit so it's not strictly match-3.

[quote name='darkrun']This is a very good deal, but it says Manhunt isn't officially supported on Windows 7, so will it still run with minimal problems or will not not work at all? Bully is a good game and I've never played Manhunt and this is too good of a deal for me to pass up. Is there a patch that will make it work?[/QUOTE]

A .dll patch for Win 7 was mentioned a couple of pages back. Checking the Steam forums (there's usually a link on the right column of a game's page) is the best place to find info on patches. Someone will no doubt have created a thread on getting it to work. It's often wise to check there before buying older games or if you see a warning about incompatibility.

[quote name='darkrun']This is a very good deal, but it says Manhunt isn't officially supported on Windows 7, so will it still run with minimal problems or will not not work at all? Bully is a good game and I've never played Manhunt and this is too good of a deal for me to pass up. Is there a patch that will make it work?[/QUOTE]

Cribbing from my own post in the GMG thread:

Steam and non-steam patch for Win7.
http://www.gzwn.net/manhuntpatcher/

[quote name='Idiotekque']Difference being, Civ V is actually a good game worth paying for.[/QUOTE]

Before any of the patches DLC?

You should try running it with this patch:
Worked for me on Windows 7.

Edit: I'm running Manhunt on Windows 8 without patches.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gilby']Before any of the patches DLC?[/QUOTE]
I think we had a conversation about it once. Basically, the Civilization series' gameplay is awesome, but I believe that Civ IV (and likely past titles) ruined the battle mechanics by allowing stacked troops, making combat far less strategic and just a slugfest of who can build more troops faster and pile them on.

That's just my opinion, of course, and many people say Civ V is crap because of no stacked troops. DLC or not, I think Civ V is brilliant. It's still smarter just to wait till all the DLC comes out, though. I have all of it but the upcoming one (which I feel like will be the last) and I've only spent $2.80, so waiting helps.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Welcome to the backlog club....by next month you'll have 30 games in your steam library...and the addiction will continue[/QUOTE]

He's not joking - I just recently joined the Steam club full time a couple of months ago - I now own over 300 games...

Those fucking indie bundles. Here pay $5 for 4-6 games usually.

[quote name='gilby']Before any of the patches DLC?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you're on about, since no DLC has fixed a problem that exists without it. So yes, the answer is yes, Civ V is a great game without any DLC.

[quote name='asheskitty']Also you're comparing a generic product, mayonnaise, to a specific product.

FPS or Quake III?[/QUOTE]

Sriracha 4X strategy, please.

[quote name='asheskitty']Cribbing from my own post in the GMG thread:

Steam and non-steam patch for Win7.
[/QUOTE]

Oooh, I have Manhunt 1 from Retail. Thanks for this! :D

{Reinstalling Manhunt 1}

EDIT:
BTW, I finally decided to download/install Manhunt 2 from GameFly. :D
Sure, I had the D2D copy of files, but that wouldn't activate up; GameFly-version would and did. :D

[quote name='MysterD']Oooh, I have Manhunt 1 from Retail. Thanks for this! :D

{Reinstalling Manhunt 1}

EDIT:
BTW, I finally decided to download/install Manhunt 2 from GameFly. :D
Sure, I had the D2D copy of files, but that wouldn't activate up; GameFly-version would and did. :D[/QUOTE]

*envy*
I believe D2D was the only DD source for Manhunt 2, since it was AO rated.
Ref: http://www.rockstarwatch.net/news/1124/Manhunt-2-no-longer-available-on-PC/
Now I'm contemplating breaking the law in order to commit gratuitous violence.

[quote name='asheskitty']*envy*
I believe D2D was the only DD source for Manhunt 2, since it was AO rated.
Ref: http://www.rockstarwatch.net/news/1124/Manhunt-2-no-longer-available-on-PC/
Now I'm contemplating breaking the law in order to commit gratuitous violence.[/QUOTE]

If you bought Manhunt 2 from D2D, check your GameFly account - Manhunt 2 should be in there.
GameFly does NOT sell Manhunt 2 b/c they don't sell AO games, but they still allow you to download it if you bought it from D2D b/c they brought most of D2D's game over to their service; and then threw their GameFly DRM over it.

EDIT:
[quote name='plft']http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MANHUNT2/manhunt-2
According to another post on there, GG is the only place to buy it on PC.[/QUOTE]
Oh, cool - Gamersgate still sells Manhunt 2. :D

[quote name='plft']http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MANHUNT2/manhunt-2
According to another post on there, GG is the only place to buy it on PC.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! That certainly sidesteps the puritanical USA. Hmm, I remember UK games used to be rather censored, not as bad as Germany, but still less than US releases. Did that change?

I remember specifically Carmageddon had three versions, US release, UK release (green blood IIRC), and DE release (pedestrians->robots). Australia also has some harsh "decency" standards, but I haven't heard of AU specific releases.

[quote name='asheskitty']Thank you! That certainly sidesteps the puritanical USA. Hmm, I remember UK games used to be rather censored, not as bad as Germany, but still less than US releases. Did that change?

I remember specifically Carmageddon had three versions, US release, UK release (green blood IIRC), and DE release (pedestrians->robots). Australia also has some harsh "decency" standards, but I haven't heard of AU specific releases.[/QUOTE]

If you remember correctly, The Witcher 1 was originally Uncensored in the UK (b/c of nudity), way before USA got its uncut content approved by ESRB to keep the game at M - so they patched and uncensored USA version.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Hmmm, never heard of beamdog and by the looks of it I won't be adding it to my list of retailers. Crappy site and higher prices.[/QUOTE]

You've never heard of Overhaul Games (led by Trent Oster, former BioWare employee) that did BG: Enhanced Edition?
{Eyebrow raised}

Overhaul is a division of Beamdog.

EDIT:
BG:EE was released first on Beamdog exclusivity for a bit, before it got a Steam-release.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Hmmm, never heard of beamdog and by the looks of it I won't be adding it to my list of retailers. Crappy site and higher prices.[/QUOTE]

I have an account because they gave away a game. I should probably download it some day.

[quote name='MysterD']You've never heard of Overhaul Games (led by Trent Oster, former BioWare employee) that did BG: Enhanced Edition?
{Eyebrow raised}

Overhaul is a division of Beamdog.[/QUOTE]

Beamdog isn't very well known, that's why they had to resort to putting MDK2 HD and BG: EE on other distribution platforms even though they initially wanted to keep them exclusive.

[quote name='Jon7']Beamdog isn't very well known, that's why they had to resort to putting MDK2 HD and BG: EE on other distribution platforms even though they initially wanted to keep them exclusive.[/QUOTE]

I figured b/c of BG:EE re-release (since BG is so well known), people would've known about Beamdog (since Overhaul's a division of Beamdog)...

Well, I'll be damned - I guess not.
{Shrug}

EDIT:
[quote name='Idiotekque']Omigosh, everyone, stop posting so fast. I look away and there's like 15 new posts![/QUOTE]
Hey, I've got nothing better else to do, you know? ;)

LOL after playing Manhunt with 0 problems on Windows 8 suddenly I couldn't pass the tutorial gates. This solution worked for me and I'm sure it'll help anyone out there with the same problem. Greetings :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back