The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']But BTA is $1.22... lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah the price is very cheap.. but I'm still passing. DRM-free downloads on MacAppDeals will not stay on the site permanently, it's a limited-time thing. I have both of the Steam games.

I too own the Steam games, so I will pass.

Is there an option to pay via credit? Because people who hosted a "group buy" on the last bundle using Fox's formula should still have about $5 in credit. They might be able to grab the bundle for free.

[quote name='Corpekata']Credit doesn't work for me. Sent a ticket in.[/QUOTE]

Don't bother, it's not meant to work. I emailed them a while back, they "temporarily disabled" the credit so that it doesn't work on certain items. It's shady as hell for them to do that, but yeah..

[quote name='spoderman']It's shady as hell for them to do that, but yeah..[/QUOTE]

I think the way most of us were abusing credit on the last bundle was pretty damn shady as well, to be fair.

[quote name='spoderman']New MacAppDeals bundle is out.. and it sucks

2 Steam games (that have been bundled before), the rest are DRM-free

https://exclusives.macappdeals.com/sales/the-nyop-adventure-gamer-bundle[/QUOTE]

So I bought this bundle and paid the $1.22 BTA price that it was at when you first posted this. Except they actually charged me $1.38, and I don't have any of the BTA games. WTF?

This is what I get for buying this crappy bundle.

Email to support will dispatched shortly.

Was going to get the MacAppDeals bundle, but then I saw this:

If I buy the bundle today, can I download my games later?
Yes, as long as it’s within 60 days of your purchase. You’ll be able to access all of your license codes, download links, and installation instructions right in your account.

Do they seriously cut you off after 2 months? I know it's a cheap price, but come on:bomb:

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Was going to get the MacAppDeals bundle, but then I saw this:

Do they seriously cut you off after 2 months? I know it's a cheap price, but come on:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I was talking about before. Decent buy if you don't already have the Steam games, but a bad bundle if you do.

[quote name='spoderman']Yeah that's what I was talking about before. Decent buy if you don't already have the Steam games, but a bad bundle if you do.[/QUOTE]

Storm in a Teacup is a lot of fun, though, if you don't have it.

A nice challenge, but absolutely reasonable to get all the steam achievements on.

I can't imagine it on a phone, though, considering how feathery the jump is inherently designed to be.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Storm in a Teacup is a lot of fun, though, if you don't have it.

A nice challenge, but absolutely reasonable to get all the steam achievements on.

I can't imagine it on a phone, though, considering how feathery the jump is inherently designed to be.[/QUOTE]

Yep I enjoyed that enough to get 100% achievements. One of my favorites from the Groupees Build a Bundle it was in.

I just found out that there is a Need for Speed Pack (contains all 4 NFS games) for steam in 2011, but for some reason it was removed from the Store, I wonder if there is a chance that it will return.

For those thinking of getting Shift 2 Unleashed, do note that it has TAGES Solidshield with only 5 machine activation limit.

[quote name='iSerra']I just found out that there is a Need for Speed Pack (contains all 4 NFS games) for steam in 2011, but for some reason it was removed from the Store, I wonder if there is a chance that it will return.

For those thinking of getting Shift 2 Unleashed, do note that it has TAGES Solidshield with only 5 machine activation limit.[/QUOTE]

Even worse, "Shift 2 Unleashed" makes a mess of my steam library since it doesn't start with "Need for Speed".

[quote name='Eldredpe']Storm in a Teacup is a lot of fun, though, if you don't have it.

I can't imagine it on a phone, though, considering how feathery the jump is inherently designed to be.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='spoderman']Yep I enjoyed that enough to get 100% achievements. One of my favorites from the Groupees Build a Bundle it was in.[/QUOTE]
RWcwxdy.png

[quote name='asheskitty']Newegg has a new 360 contoller (black, wired)...

...Sure it's no DualShock 3 or Logitech F710, but that's the best part about it.[/QUOTE]

Fixed for glaring errors.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Was going to get the MacAppDeals bundle, but then I saw this:

Do they seriously cut you off after 2 months? I know it's a cheap price, but come on:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Can anyone access their accounts from the previous deal?

Mine seems to not exist have a typo with my associated email address.

$8 for the beat the average on the double fine humble bundle is disappointing. I'll buy in for Stacking and wait for Brutal Legends eventual price plummet.

edit: What a depressing sig I have. My game time has been 4.8 hours the past 2 weeks of You Need a Budget. That's embarrassing.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']$8 for the beat the average on the double fine humble bundle is disappointing. I'll buy in for Stacking and wait for Brutal Legends eventual price plummet.

edit: What a depressing sig I have. My game time has been 4.8 hours the past 2 weeks of You Need a Budget. That's embarrassing.[/QUOTE]

I hear there's a free Brutal Legend reward if you rank up to Elite in YNAB.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']

edit: What a depressing sig I have. My game time has been 4.8 hours the past 2 weeks of You Need a Budget. That's embarrassing.[/QUOTE]

I hear there's a free Brutal Legend reward if you rank up to Elite in YNAB.

[quote name='asheskitty']So do I. And Apple ][. And Palm Pilot. And MAME ROM.

The 2001 remake is a spiritual sucessor, 3D game with different gameplay. The PC (and Mac release -- yes, I own and played the Mac release) are missing a motorcycle segment that the PS2 release had iirc.[/QUOTE]

Well, I played it on my Commodore 64--does that count? I still remember the Peter Gunn theme music playing when you start or when you slide out of the back of the semi.

[quote name='asheskitty']
NFS: Hot Pursuit (2010) is the clear buy here. It's a great game by Criterion (of Burnout, and it shows a bit) with a large map and a good bit of variety. Totally worth $5 (I paid $15-25 for it a couple weeks after release). It's one of the NFS titles I've gone back to a few times. Best NFS since Most Wanted (2005) imo. The drift mechanics are a very refined arcade-fun. There's also a fun run-from cops mode as well as a be the cops mode. The weapons bit is somewhat reminiscent of Spy Hunter (2001) (yes, MysterD, another fun car game, have you played it?).[/QUOTE]

This feels like a game I'd really enjoy, but probably more so on the PS3. I've been seeing periodic sales for Hot Pursuit at this price but I haven't been too tempted to pull the trigger because I think I'd rather have the Blu-Ray.

I remain of the opinion that you will never play Tropico 1 and Tropico 4 is such a small incremental upgrade from 3 that your life would be perfectly complete only owning 3 or 4, not both. You'd never feel left out just owning 3. There's enough content there that you will be Tropico'd out well before you get around to 4.

But this is CAG. You all will just play 15 minutes of 3, enjoying yourselves then buy 4 on impulse, then backlog both forever.

[quote name='Rsmobile']But this is CAG. You all will just play 15 minutes of 3, enjoying yourselves then buy 4 on impulse, then backlog both forever.[/QUOTE]

GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!:headache:

[quote name='gilby']Not even two months, it seems.

Can anyone access their accounts from the previous deal?

Mine seems to not exist.[/QUOTE]

Which deal are you referring to? Mine from the Blades of Time pack is still intact. I copied down all my Steam keys this morning in case.

[quote name='Blade']asheskitty when she realized this:[/QUOTE]

lol Hmm, I was expecting a different episode.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']$8 for the beat the average on the double fine humble bundle is disappointing. I'll buy in for Stacking and wait for Brutal Legends eventual price plummet.

Yep! And... /facepalm... Good reason I don't want my apps in steam... 80 hours in the past to weeks in Powerpoint... >.<

[quote name='Rsmobile']But this is CAG. You all will just play 15 minutes of 3, enjoying yourselves then buy 4 on impulse, then backlog both forever.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to add that adding to our backlogs is merely a form of self-mutilation, sure it harms us, but it gives us the relief we *need*.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']hmm, might get the $1 tropico bundle. Not worth the $5-$8 the others would cost. Any thoughts on the first (or whichever is included at the lowest tier)?[/QUOTE]

1 is good but dated. 2 isn't well regarded.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']hmm, might get the $1 tropico bundle. Not worth the $5-$8 the others would cost. Any thoughts on the first (or whichever is included at the lowest tier)?[/QUOTE]

You get 1, its expansion, and 2 with the lowest tier. A lot of people don't really like Tropico 2 because of its pirate theme, but I found it to be a fun, albeit different, experience than the rest of the series. Tropico 1 is a good game, but it's definitely dated. I still play it every now and then, though, and as long as you don't mind 10-year-old graphics, you should still enjoy it.

[quote name='asheskitty']1 is good but dated. 2 isn't well regarded.[/QUOTE]

I think I will just wait for 3 or 4 to go cheap then. Eventually everything drops below $5 on Steam it seems;)

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I think I will just wait for 3 or 4 to go cheap then. Eventually everything drops below $5 on Steam it seems;)[/QUOTE]

Tropico 3 for $2.49 and Tropico 3 Gold for $3.74 is a fairly regular thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see it again before the summer sale.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I think I will just wait for 3 or 4 to go cheap then. Eventually everything drops below $5 on Steam it seems;)[/QUOTE]

As I wrote in some thread, (HIB thread?) Tropico 4 complete was $10 on steam a month back (GMG 75%+20% = $8, when it happens) and at this point there is little reason to pickup 3, since 4 is an improvement at almost the same price.

[quote name='Eldredpe']When did the base price on Hitman: Absolution drop to $25 on Steam[/QUOTE]

Today. It appears that nearly the entire Square/Enix catalog dropped in price today (the newest Tomb Raider being one of the exceptions).

[quote name='asheskitty']Steam Daily Dissappointment: From Dust @ $5.09 (66% off)... could have had it for $1 from the Uplay sale last year.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it on XBLA when it came out, but $5 doesn't seem like a good deal price on it. Either the game wasn't very ambitious or there's a design document out there with about 10x more stuff to do. It also seems like such a questionable port after everything that I've read. I'd like to see a sequel with more powers, freedom, and things to do.

[quote name='The End']Today. It appears that nearly the entire Square/Enix catalog drop in price today (the newest Tomb Raider being one of the exceptions).[/QUOTE]

Wow, yeah.

Sleeping Dogs is $25 as well.

And older stuff like Legacy of Kain/Tomb Raider 1-6 are $7 now.

That's cool.

It's nice to see a major publisher play around with their pricing models.

Deus Ex: HR is still $19.99, but The Missing Link has finally seen a drop to $6.99. The pricing on that has been totally out of whack for a while now.

[quote name='The End']Today. It appears that nearly the entire Square/Enix catalog dropped in price today (the newest Tomb Raider being one of the exceptions).[/QUOTE]

Good catch, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs are both $25 now. Hopefully that will be combined soon with a steam/amazon/gmg sale and a complete pack.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Wow, yeah.

Sleeping Dogs is $25 as well.

And older stuff like Legacy of Kain/Tomb Raider 1-6 are $7 now.

That's cool.

It's nice to see a major publisher play around with their pricing models.[/QUOTE]

Dammit. I was extremely convinced the Tomb Raiders weren't going to see a price drop, so paid more than I should have for 1-6 from GMG (on top of thinking the collection wasn't one key and I could sell off Underworld, Anniversary, and Legend).

[quote name='Genocidal']Dammit. I was extremely convinced the Tomb Raiders weren't going to see a price drop, so paid more than I should have for 1-6 from GMG (on top of thinking the collection wasn't one key and I could sell off Underworld, Anniversary, and Legend).[/QUOTE]
They're still charging WAY too much money for the classic TR games. You can get all three bundled together at GOG for ten bucks! Friggin' Squeenix...

[quote name='annihilator']Which deal are you referring to? Mine from the Blades of Time pack is still intact. I copied down all my Steam keys this morning in case.[/QUOTE]

That's the one. I cannot access my account and, therefore, cannot access that bundle.

For some reason I didn't have my email address correctly entered. Support cleared that up just fine.

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm, these MSRP drops could lead to some actual excitement on the Steam Summer Sale...[/QUOTE]

Unless the entire Steam catalog goes 90% off, the regulars will criticize all sale items because they already have game x, and that in turn makes the sale a failure. Anyone posting in the thread otherwise will be admonished for their lack of knowledge on pcdd deals.

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm, these MSRP drops could lead to some actual excitement on the Steam Summer Sale...[/QUOTE]
Don't worry, the prices will go up before the sale to fake a huge discount, just like they always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back