XBLA - Perfect Dark - Now available - Controls/achievement patch out now

I also think that Microsoft knows this will be one of it's bigger XBLA titles this year, so I anticipate an announcement in advance. I really doubt you'll fire up your 360 one day and it will magically be there.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do another promo like they did last summer and this was part of it.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']I won't buy it unless is has a classic "1 stick" control scheme.[/QUOTE]

Even less likely to happen than a GoldenEye remake, but I'd pay any price for an N64-style 360 controller. Still, I'm interested in seeing how this plays with two sticks. The two stick mode on the N64 was too awkward for me to use.

[quote name='myl0r']I also think that Microsoft knows this will be one of it's bigger XBLA titles this year, so I anticipate an announcement in advance. I really doubt you'll fire up your 360 one day and it will magically be there.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do another promo like they did last summer and this was part of it.[/QUOTE]

Just seeing "summer" in your post made me feel a little ill. :whistle2:&

Like someone else said... when they're ready to release it, they'll be a huge announcement. For fuck's sake, they released a premium theme for when they just ANNOUNCED the damn thing.

I'd guess that they want to avoid ME2, and also likely BioShock 2. If it's February, I'd venture to say look a bit later in the month.

Perfect Dark will be playable by members of the press at next week's X10 event in San Francisco, according to Kotaku.

They also suggest following Rare on Twitter for "more tidbits" concerning the release.

What the hell is wrong with you people making up excuses not to get this? Is fun going out of style?

I need to come up with some fake press credentials this weekend.

[quote name='metaly']What the hell is wrong with you people making up excuses not to get this? Is fun going out of style?

I need to come up with some fake press credentials this weekend.[/QUOTE]

It's not an excuse. I'm dead serious.

License to kill with Pistols only was literally the only way I played this and Goldeneye growing up. Sometimes we'd spice it up and use Throwing Knives only or be dicks to each and use Proximity/Remote mines on spawn points with License to Kill. Just breathing the smoke killed you.

I was never, ever a fan of the normal gametypes. It took way too fucking long to kill someone.

If you're a big fan, buy it, I'm not criticizing you for your opinion, why are you shitting on the rest of us for ours?

Rare can totally hear themselves losing out on paying for several large pizzas as we speak.

How could you, Rare? How could you not care about another sale to cover buying a combo meal at Subway?

Bots are definitely coming back. Rare's Twitter has a lot of mentions of playing against various Sims. What's unknown is how they will integrate into the online. I'm you'll be able to have bots fill out the room to up to 12 players like on the N64, but in unranked games only.

Hopefully there will be a lot of new info (and a release date!) revealed at X10.

The video confirms it's 800 points. That's a great surprise.

Not many other new details in the video besides you can play splitscreen online, but you should absolutely watch it because the game looks incredible at 60fps. (Or don't, because it'll make the wait that much harder.)

February needs to be over right now!

I need this fucking game. Christ. That was fucking beautiful. Definite buy, but it'll probably wait for a few weeks depending on the part of March it comes out.

[quote name='KingDox']wow that looks great. 10 bucks for 4 player split screen is a no brainer.[/QUOTE]

4 player split screen for $10 eh.....?

May have to retract my statement of no license to kill pistols only as an MP mode = no buy since I can just get 3 buddies together and have it be like the good ol' times.

if you're a gamer and like shooters there is absolute no reason not to get this, 800 points?
that's a nice surprise, this game defined FPS's in 2000,
very few games are as magical as Rareware stuff is, very distinguishable style and incredibly fun.
and it looks fabulous, 60 frames per second, running in 1080p with redone textures, why march is so far away?
hehe.
this game is an absolute gem.

if you have doubts, this is one of the highest ranked games of all time, averaging at 97/100!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/n64/perfectdark?q=perfect dark

I can't get over how good it looks in motion, and these are just YouTube cam recordings! The real thing is probably going to melt my eyes out. Seeing it at 60fps is just surreal.

[quote name='pRINCESS-iSABELA']if you're a gamer and like shooters there is absolute no reason not to get this, 800 points?
that's a nice surprise, this game defined FPS's in 2000,
very few games are as magical as Rareware stuff is, very distinguishable style and incredibly fun.
and it looks fabulous, 60 frames per second, running in 1080p with redone textures, why march is so far away?
hehe.
this game is an absolute gem.

if you have doubts, this is one of the highest ranked games of all time, averaging at 97/100!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/n64/perfectdark?q=perfect dark[/QUOTE]

lol you sound nothing other than a purist

I was never a big fan of the original, I had played Half-Life on the PC by this point and there was no going back to the choppy/blurry stuff with the weird controls on the N64, it was just unplayable. But 800 points is a nice surprise, and since they cleaned up the look I'll probably check this out.

Thank god someone hasn't climbed aboard the, "any real game on XBLA must be 1200 points" bandwagon that douche-god Jonathan Blow started.

Super-psyched for this.

[quote name='uglyteradon']I can't believe it's only 800 points... this is incredible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I fully expected this to be 1200 pts. Definite day 1 purchase now.

From Kotaku, Ken Lobb mentions there could be DLC:

Lobb expects that when Perfect Dark hits next month it will be among the top five percent of XBLA games sold. And if it doesn't well, there's a good chance the game could get new content.

"That's something we've talked about, but it comes down to the audience reaction," he said. "One of the things we speced out was DLC, it would probably be new maps and it would be interesting to do a couple of new guns."
I can't even imagine what weapons are left to add, but I'd love to see. Also it's great that there's finally all this real info coming out.

And another interesting detail from this IGN preview:

The move to dual sticks has also been handled well. In the name of fidelity to the original the right stick doesn't offer true analogue control, instead mimicking the camera button set-up of the N64. It means the snappy nature of Perfect Dark's movement is maintained, and to this day the speed of the action is something that sets it apart from the shooter crowd.

A strange but understandable decision. Many of the previews I've seen so far emphasize how much the controls feel like playing the original PD rather than a more recent FPS, and I'm OK with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back