XBLA - Perfect Dark - Now available - Controls/achievement patch out now

[quote name='bmachine']I may be alone in this, but I thought that the original Perfect Dark was vastly superior to Goldeneye.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I won't even disagree with that. In most ways, Perfect Dark *was* superior to GoldenEye. For me (only me), the thing that was wrong with it is that it... well, just wasn't GoldenEye (well, that and the slowdown, but hey).

I still enjoy GoldenEye more, but that doesn't make it a better game. That's an argument I'd usually lose. It's more that GoldenEye was such a 'thing' for me. I mean, that game was literally the genesis that defined and shaped the next 12 (and counting) years of my life. To most, that'll sound pretty ridiculous, but I honestly wouldn't be who I am today without that game.

... but was it 'better' than Perfect Dark? God, no. ;)

[quote name='007']Actually, I won't even disagree with that. In most ways, Perfect Dark *was* superior to GoldenEye. For me (only me), the thing that was wrong with it is that it... well, just wasn't GoldenEye (well, that and the slowdown, but hey).

I still enjoy GoldenEye more, but that doesn't make it a better game. That's an argument I'd usually lose. It's more that GoldenEye was such a 'thing' for me. I mean, that game was literally the genesis that defined and shaped the next 12 (and counting) years of my life. To most, that'll sound pretty ridiculous, but I honestly wouldn't be who I am today without that game.

... but was it 'better' than Perfect Dark? God, no. ;)[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you're saying. It has more sentimental value than anything else. I remember playing it with 3 other people all the time, and even though Perfect Dark was better in my eyes, it didn't get as much time on my screen. Your line about it shaping your life hit it right on the money. Every FPS i've bought since, has been my subconscious effort to get back the fun I had with Goldeneye.

PD will get my money though since it will be the closest thing to getting that old school fun back, I just hope my friends feel the same way! Multiplayer was the fun in that, and probably still will be.

[quote name='advanced']Lookin' good. I'll have to put some points aside to make sure I can get this.[/QUOTE]
yup, i'm saving the 1600 point code i got from the doritos text deal specifically for this.

[quote name='TheOmegaSoldier']I know exactly what you're saying. It has more sentimental value than anything else. I remember playing it with 3 other people all the time, and even though Perfect Dark was better in my eyes, it didn't get as much time on my screen. Your line about it shaping your life hit it right on the money. Every FPS i've bought since, has been my subconscious effort to get back the fun I had with Goldeneye.

PD will get my money though since it will be the closest thing to getting that old school fun back, I just hope my friends feel the same way! Multiplayer was the fun in that, and probably still will be.[/QUOTE]
What's to stop them from putting in GE maps? Does RARE own the rights to the maps, or is that Nintendo?

The game already includes three of the best Goldeneye maps (Facility, Complex and Temple) so you're at least partially covered. It would be crazy awesome if they threw in the rest as a surprise. The only other one I really miss is the Stacks or whichever multi-level one that was actually two maps combined.

And crunchewy, the single player is excellent and should last you for a while. You can even play multiplayer offline with bots if you want.

[quote name='metaly']
And crunchewy, the single player is excellent and should last you for a while. You can even play multiplayer offline with bots if you want.[/QUOTE]

if you could play this 4 player offline with bots, o 4 players locally while online with others + bots this game would be a first hour cop

[quote name='chuckywang']keep in mind these are the same developers who did goldeneye, so you know this is a good game.[/quote]

REALLy?@!??!?!

^ No.

The original Perfect Dark was started by the GE devs, but they left part of the way though. It still turned out good, though.

This port is being done by the guys who ported Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to XBLA.

There are a few new official screens over at www.rareware.com - The ones here, along with the acheivments (I don't believe them entirely) were leaked.

Yeah.

Perfect Dark was made by Rare. However, the new Rare, which Microsoft owns, has different developers then the old Rare.

[quote name='trunkszero']if you could play this 4 player offline with bots, o 4 players locally while online with others + bots this game would be a first hour cop[/QUOTE]

I'm curious what the player limit will be online. The original was limited to 4 humans, but I think you could have up to 8 players with bots. It would be cool if it could go up to 8 humans now that there are no hardware limitations.

Of course the Xbox.com page says 1-4 players, so I'm probably just getting my hopes up.

[quote name='metaly']I'm curious what the player limit will be online. The original was limited to 4 humans, but I think you could have up to 8 players with bots. It would be cool if it could go up to 8 humans now that there are no hardware limitations.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the original had a max of 12 players. 4 humans, 8 bots.

12 humans would be amazing, but I'm not getting my hopes up... :whistle2:|

Opened up my copy of PDZ last night and wow is the multiplayer miserable. It was bad to the point of making me afraid that I won't enjoy the remake, but I know better than that.

[quote name='metaly']Opened up my copy of PDZ last night and wow is the multiplayer miserable. It was bad to the point of making me afraid that I won't enjoy the remake, but I know better than that.[/QUOTE]

The multiplayer of that game got me from Jan. 06 when I got my 360 and some games from an EBay auction until Dec. 06 when I started playing CoD 3 exclusively as my multiplayer game.

I still think that game is underrated, but everyone has different opinions.

PDZ is a highly underrated game. I love the multiplayer, and the missions co op in dark agent are a blast. Yea the story is pretty lame, and there are some problems. But those who go back and play the original PD will find it plagued with some of the same problems they complain about in PDZ.

PDZ is a piece of shit. The level design in that game was so bad they had to have giant fucking arrows telling you exactly where to go. That game sucked.

PDZ was a launch title so it lacked in a few areas but it delivered for me. I enjoyed playing against all the bots or waiting for people to join the game (auto kicking the bot). Why aren't more games like this?! haha Really that is why I play PDZ and Unreal 3.

It's early 2010! This game should be out any minute now! Here are the control schemes so you can start practicing:

Classic:
360dev-image71.jpg

Spartan:
360dev-image72.jpg

Duty Calls:
360dev-image70.jpg

It's nice of them to throw a bone to people who grew up on newer FPSes. :) Also everyone has the luxury of a crouch button now. Remember the finger contortion needed to crouch on the N64?? Also maybe it's hidden in another menu, but it's funny that there's no legacy/stick swap option since I always got the impression that those were called "legacy" because of GE/PD.

I hope the "secondary fire mode" button is just a toggle and doesn't actually shoot the secondary. I can only imagine the SuperDragon mayhem that would ensue.

More screens here, including a bunch of GoldenEye weapons in Complex.

This game is going to be so awesome. I hope it comes out soon. It may be the best Xbox Live Arcade game released.

People usually say this in a joking way, but I have to be deadly serious: The screenshots of Facility, Complex, and the classic weapons gave me a mega-raging hard-on.

Game. Needs to be out. Now.

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']This is a lil off topic but has any word on KI 3 surfaced at all??[/QUOTE]

There was some murmuring about that a few weeks ago, but I don't think it was anything more concrete than some fansite reading too much into a comment about an old Rare franchise coming back.

[quote name='007']People usually say this in a joking way, but I have to be deadly serious: The screenshots of Facility, Complex, and the classic weapons gave me a mega-raging hard-on.

Game. Needs to be out. Now.[/QUOTE]

Now I have this mental image of David Bowie with a mega-raging hard-on.
And now I also have a mega-raging hard-on.

Ooh...cool to actually see it in motion instead of just screenshots. Nice upgrade on the textures and lighting.

It appears to be called "Perfect Dark HD", as well...wonder if that the official name they're going with for the re-release?

[quote name='metaly']Now I have this mental image of David Bowie with a mega-raging hard-on.
And now I also have a mega-raging hard-on.
[/QUOTE]

If he's singing "Cat People" in this scenario, I'm there with you. ;)

It appears that video doesn't work in Chrome, tried it in Firefox and I was able to watch it finally. Man that is sexy and I wish I could have seen more action though..

The latest rumors (thanks, Randy!) say this could be released by the end of the month, and for 1200 points. Between this and Mass Effect 2, what do you think the chances are I'll get an RROD after 48 hours of continuous gaming?

It better come out at the end of this month.

I was THIS close to downloading Serious Sam but I decided to save my points for this.

I've been close myself for a while now, but unlike my N64, my original xbox is still hooked up, so buying it is not a big deal. Sort of the same reason I'm reluctant to buy some of the NES / SNES VC games.

Hell, for all I know, Serious Sam might be backwards compatible on the 360.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Thought there was already a list for this month's releases on XBL.[/QUOTE]

They've revealed only most of it, there's nothing listed for the end of the month. The list only mentions SS: TFE HD & two games on the 20th.

Touche. Then here's hoping it comes out end of this month and can test the lag on the game by doing a timed mines, n-bomb, and tranquilizer match!

i'm SO pumped for this, i'm saving points just in case it comes out soon. I too almost got serious sam but I know once I pick this up, i won't need anything else for a while.

Here's hoping to january or february at the latest!

I'm happy its going to be out soon. I just got rid of MW2, so I'm hoping this can satisfy my need for a combat FPS. The video looked sick and I can't wait for multiplayer.

Magic Box has a weird one-liner update today:

Rare mentioned that they do not rule out the possibliity to remake Perfect Dark on Xbox Live Arcade.

The language in their updates is never great, but I still have no idea what they're talking about here. A true remake right after they do an updated port of the entire game seems unlikely. Is there a new rumor going around?

bread's done
Back